Spare tire @ 17 " when Advance pkg. tire @ 19"

Old 10-21-2018, 09:18 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire @ 17 " when Advance pkg. tire @ 19"

I was considering adding the spare tire kit package to my soon to be delivered 2019 RDX advance package and learned that the spare tire is 17 in diameter.
What are the consequences if I need to use the smaller spare tire size when the remaining wheels are 19 in. ?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear

This is a common practice with spare tires due to space limitations in the car. It won’t be a problem but keep in mind they are made for shorter distances at lower speeds.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
I did some digging on this, you have to remember that is the rim size, you have to look at the tire specs on the rim to determine the actual size. The factory spare tire size is T155/90D17

So here is the factory Tire size for the A-spec 20 inch, compared to that spare, it is slightly smaller, so short distances are ok I would think (since this is the size acura supplies to non a-specs)

I did find a tire that you can go a little wider on the 165/90R17 and that gets you almost exactly the same, I just dont know if it would fit in the spare tire well (does any one have pics of the current spare tire mounted, I want to know if there is a bit more room in diameter to fit this)

Here is the larger spare I found, but before I would buy I would like to know if it would fit, if so this is much closer to the factory revolutions per mile, a 175/90 17 has the exact same, but no one makes a tire like that (that I could find)
The following users liked this post:
D-RDX (08-24-2020)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
It's not really a "well" in which the spare is mounted, but the space is a bit constrained by the mufflers, rear bumper, and hands-free access sensor ( if so equipped ). If a hitch is installed, that also snugs things up.

I DIY installed the hitch a while ago on my Advance, and I would guess you would have no problem mounting the slightly larger tire. It's only going to stick out 0.35" or so further in any direction. If you go too wide, you might exceed the limits of the very narrow wheel. ( That may be why you can't find wider sizes ). If you look at the specs for the tires on Tire Rack, they list the permissible range of wheel widths for any given size of a tire.

But really, I would go with whatever you can find that's not crazy expensive. Matching overall diameter isn't that important for the spare. Meeting ( or exceeding ) the required load range is important. And it doesn't hurt to check the pressure of the thing once in a while, which hardly anyone does, myself included.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
It's not really a "well" in which the spare is mounted, but the space is a bit constrained by the mufflers, rear bumper, and hands-free access sensor ( if so equipped ). If a hitch is installed, that also snugs things up.

I DIY installed the hitch a while ago on my Advance, and I would guess you would have no problem mounting the slightly larger tire. It's only going to stick out 0.35" or so further in any direction. If you go too wide, you might exceed the limits of the very narrow wheel. ( That may be why you can't find wider sizes ). If you look at the specs for the tires on Tire Rack, they list the permissible range of wheel widths for any given size of a tire.

But really, I would go with whatever you can find that's not crazy expensive. Matching overall diameter isn't that important for the spare. Meeting ( or exceeding ) the required load range is important. And it doesn't hurt to check the pressure of the thing once in a while, which hardly anyone does, myself included.
max load for that tire says 2700 lbs so that should be good there. I was interesting installing a hitch so I’m glad you said something about that. Have any pictures of the underside with your hitch installed, I’m curious how the tire sits underneath with the hitch. I looked under there today and gasped at all the room between the mufflers, I was pretty shocked how much space was there, wish they would of just given us a-spec owners a darn spare
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
I bought the spare tire kit for my A-Spec---that pump just makes me nervous...and i have blown out a sidewall before. Anyway...I just went to install it and gave up. There are four tie downs you have to lift up, and then pry the plastic piece under it up, to get to a phillips head screw. I could not even begin to get that screw to turn, and for fear of striping it out...I'm just going to let the dealer do it....and pay.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
I bought the spare tire kit for my A-Spec---that pump just makes me nervous...and i have blown out a sidewall before. Anyway...I just went to install it and gave up. There are four tie downs you have to lift up, and then pry the plastic piece under it up, to get to a phillips head screw. I could not even begin to get that screw to turn, and for fear of striping it out...I'm just going to let the dealer do it....and pay.
Yeah, those tie downs are a bear to get loose. They use them in lots of Honda/Acura vehicles. First of all, the phillips head bolt needs a #3 phillips bit, the next size up from the common #2. They are easy to distinguish because the #3 has a squared-off tip. If you try it with a #2 ( pointed tip ), you will probably strip the head ( been there, done that ).

And unless you have truly extraordinary hand/wrist strength, you will need to use a #3 phillips bit in a ratchet wrench or a powered drill or impact driver. And really lean into the thing before you start trying to turn it.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EFR
where did you get your kit at?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
curry acura
Old 12-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

does anyone have a pic of the spare mounted? I wanted to see how much room around the mufflers and anything else
Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

well I went with this tire Tire Link Kumho T121 I decided to go with the 165/90R17 because it should push me a bit closer to the right diameter compared to the factory 155/90R17. I got the spare tire kit ordered with the covers, and I also ordered the hitch and the a-spec plastic piece, im excited to get these put on, ill feel a lot better with a real spare tire
Old 12-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Yeah, those tie downs are a bear to get loose. They use them in lots of Honda/Acura vehicles. First of all, the phillips head bolt needs a #3 phillips bit, the next size up from the common #2. They are easy to distinguish because the #3 has a squared-off tip. If you try it with a #2 ( pointed tip ), you will probably strip the head ( been there, done that ).

And unless you have truly extraordinary hand/wrist strength, you will need to use a #3 phillips bit in a ratchet wrench or a powered drill or impact driver. And really lean into the thing before you start trying to turn it.
Thanks for the tip on the #3 screwdriver. I experienced what you meant with the #2 at first. The #3 made it so much easier to get loose.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cm2021
Thanks for the tip on the #3 screwdriver. I experienced what you meant with the #2 at first. The #3 made it so much easier to get loose.
#3 worked perfect for me too, holy cow were those in tight. Also would like to say a 165/90R17 tire fit with no problems

The following 4 users liked this post by Dereileak:
BoneHeadGolf (09-25-2023), bowhun2r (03-01-2023), cm2021 (01-21-2019), knakane (03-28-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That's very close, but you made it fit! Thanks for the update
Old 11-05-2019, 01:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which kit did you install

(06421-TJB-A00)

or

(06421-TJB-A50)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Silly question, but that rubber tire that close to the hot exhaust won't cause an issue long term with the integrity of the tire will it?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
I put a whole kit together between eBay and an Acura dealership in NC by mail. The guys at my local discount tire said they would install it free as I am a very regular customer. I guess I will need to swap out the tool box but that shouldn’t be that bad, but will need to wait till I recover from a knee replacement this next week.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any way you could list out what you did?
Old 12-14-2019, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Sure, but when I mentally added up all of my purchases, I didn’t save any money compared to the roughly $500 I have read in this thread. I went on eBay and bought the donut spare, jack and tool to elevate jack. Then I checked out the schematics from Honda on line and ordered everything I thought I needed from a really nice online Acura dealer in NC. They are awesome. So, I got everything together and went to my mechanic at the Mazda store I have been buying from since 2008. He then told me that I got hoist to raise and lower the spare. Well, the hoist has this square top that he had no tool to use the hoist. So I went back to the schematics and found a specific lug wrench for our RDX that fits our lug nuts and has a recessed square hole on the other end. Bingo! Now it is installed and whoever USAA sends out for my road service has all of the tools needed to change my flat tire.

So, in retrospect, it would make better sense to order the Acura spare tire kit and either have the dealer install it or take it home. When the Discount Tire manager found out what the service writer he vetoed the free installation, so I needed to go to my mechanic whi was kind enough to charge me only 1 hour labor....See what I mean?
Old 04-23-2021, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Hi Dereileak,

I followed your lead and installed a 165/90R17 spare in my 2019 RDX. I have a acura hitch as well, I feel it does not sit flush into the well, do you also have this in your setup?

Regards,
Arun
Old 04-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

#3 worked perfect for me too, holy cow were those in tight. Also would like to say a 165/90R17 tire fit with no problems

Thank you @Dereileak !

Followed your post and this morning and I was able to get everything installed. Got the kit from eBay and the tire from a local shop. I was considering going with https://modernspare.com/product/2007...pare-tire-kit/ that is slightly larger in diameter to match the factory diameter... but glad I didn't. The 165/90/17 is going to be the largest tire that's going to fit with the OEM hitch. Likely would work if the hitch wasn't there.

Thanks again for the excellent guide and answering my PMs. Much appreciated!

Also... read many posts indicating a #3 Phillips is recommended to get the anchor screws out. Ya. Thank you for that heads up cause they were torqued something crazy. Glad I got this in advance of my install!

Amazon Amazon

And for those interested about weight. Tire/wheel comes in at ~36lbs.

Last edited by bowhun2r; 04-02-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add an image
The following users liked this post:
BoneHeadGolf (09-25-2023)