Handling of 19” vs 20”

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling of 19” vs 20”

What kind of handling / driving comfort differences are there between the 19” in wheels on the advance and the 20” a-spec or diamond wheels? I’m trying to understand the pros / cons of wheel size on this car. I can find a bunch of general articles on the web, but I’m curious about this specifically with the RDX. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleSS
What kind of handling / driving comfort differences are there between the 19” in wheels on the advance and the 20” a-spec or diamond wheels? I’m trying to understand the pros / cons of wheel size on this car. I can find a bunch of general articles on the web, but I’m curious about this specifically with the RDX. Thanks in advance for any info.
I doubt you will find many reports of A/B comparisons of the different wheel packages on the same car. Unless your goal is to achieve an additional 0.02G on a skidpad or track, I suspect the dominant difference will be the active suspension on the Advance. On anything other than glass-smooth pavement the active suspension should have an advantage. And even on glass-smooth pavement it probably has an advantage in controlling body roll, especially for transient maneuvers ( twisting turns ).

I am very impressed with the handling of my SH-AWD Advance.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I had the A-Spec which came with 20”. The sport profile made the tires lower to the ground therefore you get more feel of the road. A 19” tire has a higher profile which help with the air cushion. I am thinking of changing out my 20” for a 19” but can’t justify paying Acura outrageous price for the wheels package only.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
As has been mentioned already it's unlikely you'll find any direct comparisons other than possibly in a test environment. The 3 real world differences between the A-Spec versus 'regular' tires/wheels are:

1 - Width: A-spec tires are .7" wider (10" vs 9.3") so you have more rubber on the road. But keep in mind they also have different tires, not just a different size of the same tire.

2 - Sidewall: A-spec sidewall height is .6" shorter (4.5" vs 5.1") so all else being equal - which it's not - will result in a harsher ride because there's less tire sidewall to absorb road imperfections. But the shorter sidewall will make for a more stable tire during cornering.

3 - A-Spec tires also call for 36psi versus 33psi for other trims which will, again with all else being equal, result in a harsher ride.