AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-459/)
-   -   All season tire recommendation (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-459/all-season-tire-recommendation-979378/)

Mw2009 05-07-2019 06:11 PM

All season tire recommendation

I’m looking for a set of all season tires. Wanted to get some feedback on what people would recommend. I like Michelin, however not opposed to other premium brands. Any feedback on the Michelin pilot sport as3+ ? Michelin also has a new model Primacy Tour that looks interesting. Thanks.

Padre Dave 05-10-2019 09:19 PM

I have the Michelin PilotSport 3 AS on my Mazdaspeed 3 and love the tire. Funny for you to ask this because I am looking at my OEM Goodyears on my A-Spec and shopping for the PS3 AS on the Discount Tire site. The Goodyear is a pretty good tire, but nothing close to the smooth and quiet ride of the Michelin.

OliveBread 05-20-2019 12:46 PM

I like Vredestein as a company (they're over 100 years old), their Quatrac 5's look great and run great.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...5b1270b41d.png

losiglow 05-20-2019 01:07 PM

Where do you live? If "all-season" includes snow, that will change things a bit. Not that an all-season tire can't be used for snow, but all-season tires have a wide range of winter performance as opposed to dry and wet which they all seem to be pretty decent at.

losiglow 05-20-2019 01:25 PM

If you're expecting snow, I'd go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. They might be the best all-season tire I've ever had in the snow. The Michelin Premier A/S is a very close second. It's a touring tire rather than a performance tire like the DWS06 so it's a bit less "fun" in the summer but has better treadwear. And unlike the DWS06 (and most other tires) that lose winter traction as they wear, they retain their winter grip all the way down to about 5/32nd due to the siping expanding as they wear.

Neither are half as good as winter tires but a lot of folks don't encounter enough snow to warrant a dedicated set of winter tires.

NooYawkuh 05-22-2019 06:12 PM

I went through two sets of Goodyear Triple Treads on my Pilot and they were perfect for that vehicle. Absolute beasts in the snow, great in the rain and not too bad in dry weather. Performed well even to the point where they failed inspection. :D They were a little noisier but the Pilot wasn't all that quiet to begin with, so I didn't mind. I don't think they're the right tire for the RDX. I'd be willing to give up some winter performance for a quieter and smother ride and better overall handling. I'm actually pretty impressed with the Continentals, especially in the rain. I've never owned Continentals before but we've had some heavy rain and they've been good. I'll have to see how they do in the snow.

I've been most satisfied with either Goodyear or Michelin. I've been very unhappy with the "stones", both Fire and Bridge. Nothing worse than making a regrettable purchase on tires that you have to live with for 50-60,000 miles.

kamiltl 05-22-2019 06:53 PM

I have bfgoodrich g force comp 2. A/S
They are frikin great, i dont regret, i was thinking abou dws06 which were plus minus 160$each and g force for arround 125. 235 45 17 . when cheap chinese starts even for 50$

Wet- handling is crazy, jumping to highway with high speed on snail is perfect, hard to loose grip
Snow heavy snow i would say 6.5 7 points out of 10. Its AS tire so it never will be as winter tire , i have winter tires on our renault scenic and they bites... But comparing g force comps to cheap chinese tire that i had on car when i bought my car is gigantic..
Summer - tires are briliant, grips like crazy, corners, fast turns its not possible to loose grip on that tires most of the time.
Hard to spin tires on dry, on wet they also have nice grip.

Noise is minimal actually they are quiet and not annoying .

Overall i would say 8 points for that tires. Not 10 because always summer tires and winter tires for winter are best solution. Since I have no space for store i decide buy all season and i can recommend them.

Oh. And look at that tire design ! They rocks

EFR 05-23-2019 09:50 AM

I get your comment on Michelin. A safe, great choice. A brand I have tried and am impressed with is Nitto (NT421Q) and the reviews seem very good. I have another vehicle with Nitto Terra Grappler 2's and they are the best thing I have ever done to it (4th set of tires--heavy, tire and brake-eating Land Rover). Two brands I have been disappointed with are General and Cooper.

Josh625 06-03-2019 08:04 AM

I put the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 plus on my aspec and they are amazing! The ride is 100% better! And they look nice too!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e34288fcd.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...47089661c.jpeg

Padre Dave 06-03-2019 12:31 PM

I have the 265/45 20 coming this week from a Discount Tire store in N CA to Mesa, AZ. I should see them tomorrow or Wednesday. Looking good!

Originally Posted by Josh625 (Post 16434145)
I put the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 plus on my aspec and they are amazing! The ride is 100% better! And they look nice too!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e34288fcd.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...47089661c.jpeg

Josh625 06-03-2019 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16434351)
I have the 265/45 20 coming this week from a Discount Tire store in N CA to Mesa, AZ. I should see them tomorrow or Wednesday. Looking good!

How did you decide on the 265/45 vs 255/45? I just chose the ones that tire rack recommended, which I think defaulted to 255.

Padre Dave 06-03-2019 07:34 PM

I wanted the biggest and widest tire available for the stock wheel. This is the largest Michelin PS3AS that Discount listed for the stock wheel.

NooYawkuh 06-04-2019 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Josh625 (Post 16434145)

Everything looks better on an A-Spec.

Padre Dave 06-13-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Padre Dave (Post 16424617)
I have the Michelin PilotSport 3 AS on my Mazdaspeed 3 and love the tire. Funny for you to ask this because I am looking at my OEM Goodyears on my A-Spec and shopping for the PS3 AS on the Discount Tire site. The Goodyear is a pretty good tire, but nothing close to the smooth and quiet ride of the Michelin.

I put a set of the Michelin PilotSport 3 AS+ in a 265/40 18 on the car and WOW, the ride smoothed out and while I haven’t taken it to the track, and likely will not, but these have plenty of grip. I pondered the PilotSport 4 but they are so soft (and sticky to the road) and wear so quickly. I am very happy with what I got.

DHood 06-14-2019 10:25 AM

All Season vs All Weather

Originally Posted by Mw2009 (Post 16422982)
I’m looking for a set of all season tires. Wanted to get some feedback on what people would recommend. I like Michelin, however not opposed to other premium brands. Any feedback on the Michelin pilot sport as3+ ? Michelin also has a new model Primacy Tour that looks interesting. Thanks.

If you get snow in the Winter you could look into the "Newest Category" of Tire called an "All Weather". It is different than an "All Season" which is basically good for 3 Seasons and not necessarily the best in Winter. All Weather is a 4 Season Tire which of course would include Winter.

Just a thought to consider
DavidH

NooYawkuh 06-14-2019 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by DHood (Post 16439955)
If you get snow in the Winter you could look into the "Newest Category" of Tire called an "All Weather". It is different than an "All Season" which is basically good for 3 Seasons and not necessarily the best in Winter. All Weather is a 4 Season Tire which of course would include Winter.

Just a thought to consider
DavidH

I'd like something that performs better in snow but I'm concerned about more road / tire noise from that type of tire. I don't swap tires for the Winter. I drive on the same set year round. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little (but not a lot) of snow and ice performance to have better a overall ride, handling and comfort the overwhelming majority of the time. As long as the tires are not borderline unsafe in the snow. Realistically, I drive in deep snow only a handful of days per year. I might be happy with the Latitude X-Ice but I think I'd be happier with the Pilot Sport A/S 3s.

But who knows. Tires are always a compromise and bit of a crap shoot. I just don't want to make a purchase I'll regret for 50-60,000 miles.

supafamous 06-16-2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16440203)
I'd like something that performs better in snow but I'm concerned about more road / tire noise from that type of tire. I don't swap tires for the Winter. I drive on the same set year round. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little (but not a lot) of snow and ice performance to have better a overall ride, handling and comfort the overwhelming majority of the time. As long as the tires are not borderline unsafe in the snow. Realistically, I drive in deep snow only a handful of days per year. I might be happy with the Latitude X-Ice but I think I'd be happier with the Pilot Sport A/S 3s.

But who knows. Tires are always a compromise and bit of a crap shoot. I just don't want to make a purchase I'll regret for 50-60,000 miles.

Sounds like a set of Nokian WR G4 SUV tires would be ideal for you. Plenty good enough in winter but they aren't going to wear themselves out super fast in the summer.

NooYawkuh 06-17-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 16440690)
Sounds like a set of Nokian WR G4 SUV tires would be ideal for you. Plenty good enough in winter but they aren't going to wear themselves out super fast in the summer.

I'm not likely to take a chance on a brand I've never heard of and isn't widely available. I've had only good experiences with Michelin and the the others here who've given them good marks give me even more confidence.

Sure, I'd like ideal handling, comfort and performance in all driving conditions but that tire doesn't exist. In the past, my thinking was that an SUV should primarily handle well in snow and light off-road conditions. But the RDX is a different animal. I didn't mind the slightly noisier and rougher ride in my Pilot because the car wasn't that smooth or quiet to begin with. But with the right tires, it was a beast in the snow, slush, mud and even sand. I think the SH-AWD of the RDX won't leave me wanting.

I'm not in San Diego but I'm not in Syracuse either. 99% of the time I'm driving on dry or just wet pavement. I want a tire that will serve me best in those conditions but is at least adequate and safe in snow and slush. Given a choice, the car stays in the garage until the roads are plowed anyway. It's not like I work in a hospital or something. Anyways, I probably have at least 2 years before I start thinking about getting rid of the Continentals, which do perform quite well. I'll see how they do next winter. But I hear that Continentals don't do well in the second half of their tread life. I don't know, I never owned any before.

Wander 06-18-2019 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh (Post 16440203)

Very few ( if any ) all-season tires will give you 50-60k miles of wear AND be safe in snow that entire time. For decent snow performance, the tires should have at least 5/32" of remaining tread. And the more sipes they start with, the better for ice performance.

On other vehicles in the stable, I like Michelin Defender LTX for good all-season performance and relatively long tread life. But I still put on winter wheels/tires; the Defenders are just better if I guess wrong on change-over time.

The Defenders look more "truckish" than other choices because of their squared-off shoulders. But they start out with more tread than most "crossover tires", and they have lots of sipes for ice. If you don't mind the look, and you are willing to accept slightly higher tread noise, the Defender LTX's are less of a compromise than "all-weather" tires in terms of 3-season performance, but they won't have quite the same winter performance. OTOH they should wear a lot longer than an "all-weather" tire.

Personally, I will wear the Contis until 5/32", then review my options. They are decent for 3 seasons, but marginal for winter, IMO.

BTW, Nokian is a Finnish company that invented the modern winter tire, and their Hakkapeliittas are amongst the best available. I have two sets for the fleet, along with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Nokian is diversifying into more mainstream options, including "all-weather" tires that incorporate some of their winter tire tech, but which won't wear out instantly on warm, dry pavement ( unlike a dedicated winter tire ). And Nokian has recently built a manufacturing facility in the USA, so they may become more common in North America.

These comments may not be applicable to A-Spec OEM tire size, and I'm too lazy to check right now.