Transmission Confusion - Auto Idle Stop and Park - Counter Intuitive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by RobinL
I think part of the problem by a few is that they have always done things a certain way. I’ve seen this even by some reviewers, usually older ones who have developed muscle memory with a shift stick and then claim it is not intuitive. Those without a long history with a shift stick seem to adapt much faster.
I resemble that remark. Even though after about a month with it, I'm still not entirely used to it, I love the push-button transmission. In fact, the moment any car went away from the mechanical linkage between the tranny and shift lever, a big giant 5 or 6 position switch was just dumb. It's just a throwback.

And I like the design and operation of the button arrangement. Although, along with the mode selector, it all takes up more console space than it should, I think it's a pretty good layout. I'd still like to have a change tray and the cup holders side-by-side below the dash.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks like it is intentional design. You are supposed to press engine start/stop -> time 1min
The following 3 users liked this post by hockeyaddict:
AZ4035 (04-12-2019), NooYawkuh (04-01-2019), subin (04-01-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saw the thread on how to activate the auto parking brake where the default is off. Why its not in the Owner's Manual and a default "off" is another conversation. How it works with Auto Start/Stop and Park makes a little more sense when it is enabled, but as I understand doesn't automatically activate until you open the door with the Engine off. From my perspective Auto Start/Stop is emissions and MPG driven more so in Europe but some US states are pushing similar legislation. I also believe the lawyers help design the (P) Park, foot on Brake to start and auto parking brake because of the Audi sudden acceleration law suites that turned out to be people stepping on the accelerator instead of the brake.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I always turn off the Idle Stop every time I start the RDX
Old 04-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was looking in the Owner's Guide not Manual.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Ok so I tested this out again more extensively on my 2019 MDX and when I come to a stop fully pressing down brake pedal the engine turns off (as expected). When I press Park on the gear selector the engine remains off (does not start back up). This is working exactly as I was hoping it would. Note this is without using brake hold.

I could have sworn when putting it in park after the engine turned off that the engine started back up again. Perhaps that happened when using brake hold in conjunction with auto idle stop.

But in any event this works correctly from my perspective and it appears this is new for the 19 Pilot and MDX.

Does the 19 RDX behave the same?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
Ok so I tested this out again more extensively on my 2019 MDX and when I come to a stop fully pressing down brake pedal the engine turns off (as expected). When I press Park on the gear selector the engine remains off (does not start back up). This is working exactly as I was hoping it would. Note this is without using brake hold.

I could have sworn when putting it in park after the engine turned off that the engine started back up again. Perhaps that happened when using brake hold in conjunction with auto idle stop.

But in any event this works correctly from my perspective and it appears this is new for the 19 Pilot and MDX.

Does the 19 RDX behave the same?
You wrote: "...I come to a stop fully pressing down brake pedal the engine turns off (as expected). When I press Park on the gear selector the engine remains off (does not start back up)"

I don't press Park when the engine turns off, with my foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, I push the start/stop button, and it automatically engages Park and the Parking brake. Engaging the parking brake automatically has to be set by the procedures noted in another thread here.

I don't use Brake Hold.

The engine may not shut off (using the auto idle stop feature) when parking, depending on the parameters for that to happen. I've now discovered, and read about it as well, that if you have the climate control set to either LO or High, it will not auto stop. This is just one of the parameters.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 04-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
You wrote: "...I come to a stop fully pressing down brake pedal the engine turns off (as expected). When I press Park on the gear selector the engine remains off (does not start back up)"

I don't press Park when the engine turns off, with my foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, I push the start/stop button, and it automatically engages Park and the Parking brake. Engaging the parking brake automatically has to be set by the procedures noted in another thread here.

I don't use Brake Hold.

The engine may not shut off (using the auto idle stop feature) when parking, depending on the parameters for that to happen. I've now discovered, and read about it as well, that if you have the climate control set to either LO or High, it will not auto stop. This is just one of the parameters.
My question wasn't for you. It's for people who press park instead of turning the engine off. We've already had enough discussion about turning the engine off while in gear
Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
My question wasn't for you. It's for people who press park instead of turning the engine off. We've already had enough discussion about turning the engine off while in gear
Gotcha

Seeing as you have an MDX, perhaps a post on the MDX board would more appropriately answer your query?
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Gotcha

Seeing as you have an MDX, perhaps a post on the MDX board would more appropriately answer your query?
I only posted here on this thread because there was a question as to the behavior of the auto idle stop functionality in the 19 RDX. Since they just changed how this works on the 19 MDX, and I would assume Acura would have the same functionality in all models (meaning it wouldn't work completely different between the RDX and MDX) the question was whether this change made its way over to the RDX as well. It works as I would have expected after all in my 19 MDX, if the engine turns off due to auto idle stop, when i put the car in park the engine doesn't restart. So I don't have to turn off the ignition with the car still in gear, the engine remains off when I put it in park. This is new behavior for 19. The part where it was throwing me off was I have a habit of taking my seatbelt off once I put the car in park before turning off the ignition. As soon as you take off your seatbelt this causes the engine to restart regardless if you are parked or not.