AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/)
-   -   Quality control (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/quality-control-973240/)

Stclark13 09-16-2018 02:51 AM

Quality control

I picked up my 2019 RDX at the end of July and before I even left the lot I had a problem with the passenger side power window sticking when going up. I was told it was just a tweaked window track and it was fixed by the time I was done signing the paperwork. A few weeks later the passengers front seat started making noise and had a lot of side to side movement and brought it in to get looked at. The dealer said they fixed it and it was just a loose bolt, went to the car and indeed it was not fixed. I brought it in a second time and was told I needed a whole new seat frame and they’d call when it came in. The day before I brought it back to get fixed the infotainment system glitched and wouldn’t work for 24 hours. Well now my car has been at the dealer for almost 3 weeks apparently they didn’t order all the parts and upon taking my car apart realized they needed them and because the car is so new, well they are on back order. My wife has a 16 TLX and has had zero issues and I was hoping for the same. I’m a little concerned about the build quality and wondering if this car was rushed out of production and corners where cut. Has anyone else experienced what I have? I’ve owned over 30 cars and fully understand things break and go wrong, I’ve owned a lot of German vehicles, however I’d expect a car with less than a 1000 miles to not be having these build quality issues.

PWMDMD 09-17-2018 06:11 AM

Over the past 10 years I have followed a number of cars during their first year after a major redesign and have yet to find a manufacturer or model that didn’t have these kinds of “first year” issues. Paint, body panel alignment, infotainment, drivetrain programming, etc...almost all manufactures finish “beta testing” on first model year owners.

Yes, lots of people buy first model year cars with no issues but if you follow the forums many of these QC issues go away after a little bit of time and it’s the reason I do not ever buy a first year car including the RDX - if I pull the trigger it will not be until the 2020 model year.

Meto 09-18-2018 08:08 AM

This being my first Acura, I am not sold on the quality of the vehicle as a whole and am more than disappointed with the service I have received. My vehicle was in service for 20 days and their arrogant service tech claimed that replacing the infotainment system fixed my issues. Unfortunately, they fixed nothing and I am still experiencing many issues with the system. Some people may not use all of the features of the system, but I am a power user who uses every feature of the system that I paid top dollar for. I also have issues with the amount of air being blown out of the system as it never gets comfortable for me and I always have to leave the system on LO and AUTO while I drive in warm weather. My 2015 Hyundai Sonata has a better climate system than this vehicle.

Stclark13 09-19-2018 05:52 AM

Well after the seat replacement I guess it won’t communicate with the car so my airbag light won’t go off. Regional techs have come to attempt to fix it to no avail so it looks like another seat has to be ordered. Can’t believe I might have to lemon law a car over a seat but it might just happen. So far this will be 4 times for the same issue and going on day 24 in the shop. Cars are getting way to hi-tech for their own good.

Meto 09-19-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16299601)
Well after the seat replacement I guess it won’t communicate with the car so my airbag light won’t go off. Regional techs have come to attempt to fix it to no avail so it looks like another seat has to be ordered. Can’t believe I might have to lemon law a car over a seat but it might just happen. So far this will be 4 times for the same issue and going on day 24 in the shop. Cars are getting way to hi-tech for their own good.

I am also considering Lemon Law due to numerous issues

Meto 09-19-2018 11:04 AM

I am getting a new car after all I have been through... Hopefully things will be better

securityguy 09-19-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Meto (Post 16299807)
I am getting a new car after all I have been through... Hopefully things will be better

Confused...you said at 10:30am this morning that you are considering LL your car. Then, an hour later, you say you are getting a new car.

WOW...that was fast!

Meto 09-19-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by securityguy (Post 16299854)
Confused...you said at 10:30am this morning that you are considering LL your car. Then, an hour later, you say you are getting a new car.

WOW...that was fast!

I was texting with my sales rep after sending him some additional photos of issues last evening and then out of the blue he called me after I sent that message and he said they will just get me a new car

MI-RDX 09-19-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Meto (Post 16299876)
I was texting with my sales rep after sending him some additional photos of issues last evening and then out of the blue he called me after I sent that message and he said they will just get me a new car

Sounds like the dealer is trying to be fair and reasonable.

Stclark13 09-19-2018 12:19 PM

Mine is already making payments in my car until I get it back. I have a feeling they aren’t going to be able to fix it. It’s really a shame I liked the car but I might have to get what I originally wanted...a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ironically I decided not to get that due to reliablity issues gotta love irony.

Meto 09-19-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16299912)
Mine is already making payments in my car until I get it back. I have a feeling they aren’t going to be able to fix it. It’s really a shame I liked the car but I might have to get what I originally wanted...a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ironically I decided not to get that due to reliablity issues gotta love irony.

Right? I have had Mazda's for years and never had issues, but didn't get the new CX-9 because I heard there were issues with it....

acuraada 09-20-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meto (Post 16299876)

Maybe corporate wants your car to study since your list of issues are so pronounced. No way the dealer would offer a brand new replacement without you demanding it.

acuraada 09-20-2018 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meto (Post 16299981)
Right? I have had Mazda's for years and never had issues, but didn't get the new CX-9 because I heard there were issues with it....

lol, I have the exact same thought. Am I trading up my old trusty Mercedes for a brand new set of problems? :surrender:

losiglow 09-20-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16299912)

If you get a Grand Cherokee you'll miss the little problems with the Acura. I'm not an Acura fanboy but please, if you get rid of it, get ANYTHING but a Cherokee. Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, BMW X3, Infinity QX50, Mercedes GLC, Lexus RX 350, red flyer wagon, flintstone's car, big-wheel, ANYTHING but a Cherokee. You'll forever regret it. :whyme:

Stclark13 09-28-2018 03:36 PM

Well looks like another 10 days before my rdx will be done as parts are on back order. Service did upgrade me to a new MDX, made 2 months payments for me and put on a trailer hitch free of charge for the inconvenience of not having my car for 45 days. I’m impressed with the service departments efforts to keep me happy, the sales dept not so much. Said if I wanted out of the car they’d only take it back on trade and I’d take the depreciation hit. Really? Gee thanks for the offer.

losiglow 09-28-2018 03:45 PM

That's weak. I'm not sure what the lemon laws are, as they differ state to state, but if you're really interested in getting out of it I'd look it up.

Stclark13 09-28-2018 05:35 PM

I like the car a lot and if it was going to be a lot longer to get it back I’d fight it. Yeah that’s not how lemon law works in New York and I’m sure they’re hoping I’m an idiot and wouldn’t look into it. Here it’s 4x in the shop with same issue not getting resolved or 30 days in the shop. I had both. I’m happy with the 2 payments and trailer hitch right up until this new seat doesn’t initialize and get the airbag light off. Then I might have to lawyer up.

Stclark13 10-16-2018 01:12 AM

Just a quick update. 56 days later and 4 seat frames later my car is done. Apparently Acura did have the latest update on their software which was making it impossible to initialize the seat. Some genius in tech support finally figured it out and I got my car back. So a word to the wise if your dealer is having tech issues with your car make sure they have the latest software on their computers...smh. At least I got two payments and a tow hitch out of this whole ordeal.

PWMDMD 10-17-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16313795)
Just a quick update. 56 days later and 4 seat frames later my car is done. Apparently Acura did have the latest update on their software which was making it impossible to initialize the seat. Some genius in tech support finally figured it out and I got my car back. So a word to the wise if your dealer is having tech issues with your car make sure they have the latest software on their computers...smh. At least I got two payments and a tow hitch out of this whole ordeal.

More reasons to wait until 2020 model year. I know we all hope a car company and dealership would be more organized than this - even in year 1 - I guess not.

SebringSilver 11-04-2018 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16297952)
I picked up my 2019 RDX at the end of July and before I even left the lot I had a problem with the passenger side power window sticking when going up. I was told it was just a tweaked window track and it was fixed by the time I was done signing the paperwork. A few weeks later the passengers front seat started making noise and had a lot of side to side movement and brought it in to get looked at. The dealer said they fixed it and it was just a loose bolt, went to the car and indeed it was not fixed. I brought it in a second time and was told I needed a whole new seat frame and they’d call when it came in. The day before I brought it back to get fixed the infotainment system glitched and wouldn’t work for 24 hours. Well now my car has been at the dealer for almost 3 weeks apparently they didn’t order all the parts and upon taking my car apart realized they needed them and because the car is so new, well they are on back order. My wife has a 16 TLX and has had zero issues and I was hoping for the same. I’m a little concerned about the build quality and wondering if this car was rushed out of production and corners where cut. Has anyone else experienced what I have? I’ve owned over 30 cars and fully understand things break and go wrong, I’ve owned a lot of German vehicles, however I’d expect a car with less than a 1000 miles to not be having these build quality issues.

We have the same problem with the front passenger seat on our new RDX A-spec. The seat is literally loose and wobbles whenever we make a left or right turn, with an annoying “clunk” at the same time. It’s going back to the dealership on Tuesday for repairs.

Stclark13 11-04-2018 02:09 AM

Wow I figured mine was a random issue but maybe not. Definitely make sure if they have any issues initializing the seat they have the right software. It wasn’t able to recognize the seat occupancy sensor without it.

SebringSilver 11-04-2018 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stclark13 (Post 16325627)
Wow I figured mine was a random issue but maybe not. Definitely make sure if they have any issues initializing the seat they have the right software. It wasn’t able to recognize the seat occupancy sensor without it.

Thank you. I’ll be sure to mention it to them.

Cazman 11-08-2018 09:36 AM

Get Used to Problems

Acura has been a BIG disappointment for me. I expected a quality vehicle and a superior dealer relationship. What I got was a vehicle with multiple problems and a dealer that is apparently more concerned with their corporate rating than their customers. I’ve been back 12 times and still have issues. The dealer is uncooperative in setting up a meeting with the Acura regional manager and the corporate 800 number for customer service is useless unless you are lookin for lip service. The lack
of an alternative dealer within 100 miles means there is no alternative. They don’t even advertise!! Honda should give the franchise to their Honda dealers. I have owned two previous CRVs and never had a problem with the vehicles or the dealers. This is my first and last Acura.

Stew4HD 11-08-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cazman (Post 16328733)
Acura has been a BIG disappointment for me. I expected a quality vehicle and a superior dealer relationship. What I got was a vehicle with multiple problems and a dealer that is apparently more concerned with their corporate rating than their customers. I’ve been back 12 times and still have issues. The dealer is uncooperative in setting up a meeting with the Acura regional manager and the corporate 800 number for customer service is useless unless you are lookin for lip service. The lack
of an alternative dealer within 100 miles means there is no alternative. They don’t even advertise!! Honda should give the franchise to their Honda dealers. I have owned two previous CRVs and never had a problem with the vehicles or the dealers. This is my first and last Acura.

This is my 4th and last Acura. QA/QC on this vehicle it the worst I've seen on anything I have ever owned.

Stclark13 11-09-2018 12:57 PM

Honda is no better. Parents have an 18 cr-v and apparently motors are already being recalled. I’m losing hope in all cars period. No one makes a good car anymore. Too much crap shoved into cars too quickly just to sell units. Quality control is non-existent.

SebringSilver 11-09-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16328946)
This is my 4th and last Acura. QA/QC on this vehicle it the worst I've seen on anything I have ever owned.

Couldnt agree more. This is my 10th Acura, and it is hands down the worst built car I’ve ever owned. I give up.

Njbrandon 11-10-2018 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver (Post 16330070)

Couldnt agree more. This is my 10th Acura, and it is hands down the worst built car I’ve ever owned. I give up.

This is my first and last Acura. I've always purchased first year models because I like the latest style and tech but there's so many issues and annoyances.

Now I'm noticing throttle lag hitting the gas from a stop. Nothing happens for a second or two which gets scary making a turn with oncoming traffic approaching. Brakes squeak, chirp, make a beeping noise. There's a rattle in the headliner that won't go away. Radio doesn't start up half the time and have to power off and back on. USB locks up and won't play without pulling the cord, rear back up sensors rarely work unless you're backing directly straight into something (cannot be any kind of angle like out of a parking space), plus the beeps are barely audible. I'm just waiting to see what 2020 suvs are coming out before taking the loss and trading in. Very disappointed.

SebringSilver 11-10-2018 10:44 AM

I don’t even mind the occasional electronic gremlin. Having a Range Rover and an Audi with somewhat temperamental InControl and Virtual Cockpit systems I’ve kind of gotten used to being patient while the software in my car boots up.

But it’s the misaligned tailgate, the dent in the front bumper, a scratch in the steering wheel leather, and a wobbly front passenger seat that the QC people didn’t even notice that really rankles. I’m ok that the RDX isn’t a 400-HP twin turbo beast or that it doesn’t get 35 mpg. I just wanted a car that feels reasonably well put-together.

I can’t believe how Acura seems to have taken one step forward but three steps backward.

Burger Steak & Eggs 11-10-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Njbrandon (Post 16330121)
There's a rattle in the headliner that won't go away.

You had mentioned this was repaired.....a clip was missing. ???

Njbrandon 11-10-2018 01:04 PM

Thats what they said but the rattle is back. I don't see a way to fix it because it's in the middle on the driver's side.

Burger Steak & Eggs 11-10-2018 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Njbrandon (Post 16330216)
Thats what they said but the rattle is back. I don't see a way to fix it because it's in the middle on the driver's side.

Can you give more details where it seems to be coming from? Location as precise as you can?

Njbrandon 11-11-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs (Post 16330328)
Can you give more details where it seems to be coming from? Location as precise as you can?

Driver side headliner in front of the side dome light. If I press on the headliner there it makes the same rattle noise when I hit a bump, or just round a corner with no bumps.

Cazman 11-11-2018 01:26 PM

It's probably the pen the QC Manager lost before he signed off on the vehicle!!

Seriously though, these problems are way beyond what we should tolerate and I'm sorry you have to go through it with the rest of us. Consider the lemon law in your area. Three times to the dealer for the same unresolved problem and you should qualify for a new one. It will probably come with a whole different set of issues but at lease you will get rid of the rattle. Keep all service records and thoroughly document your experience. I'm just getting up to speed on the lemon law to see if it applies to my vehicle but this is my understanding in NY.

Njbrandon 11-12-2018 11:39 AM

I took another look and noticed the driver's side headliner was sagging lower than the other side. When I pressed on it there's 2 clips that pop in and back out. So this is what's causing the rattle. It probably needs new clips because these won't stay popped in. Heading back to the dealer for the 4th time.

Dereileak 11-28-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Njbrandon (Post 16330525)
Driver side headliner in front of the side dome light. If I press on the headliner there it makes the same rattle noise when I hit a bump, or just round a corner with no bumps.

that’s about the same area I am having rattles in also, they drive me crazy, now my driver speaker is sputtering and making all types of noises even with the radio off

goatranced 12-03-2018 02:12 PM

For you guys that had your car replaced from defects did you get to pick the same color combination/options that you had before or did Acura just "assign" a car to you?

Dereileak 12-03-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by goatranced (Post 16342855)
For you guys that had your car replaced from defects did you get to pick the same color combination/options that you had before or did Acura just "assign" a car to you?

why would anyone take a random color Acura assigns to you, I wouldn’t put up with that

securityguy 12-03-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16342860)
why would anyone take a random color Acura assigns to you, I wouldn’t put up with that

Exactly!!!

JustMe65 12-08-2018 10:57 AM

Did they actually give you a new one?

JustMe65 12-08-2018 11:05 AM

Could the rattle be coming from the panoramic sunroof? I have a loud one....vibrates and rattles on every bump. Even the dealership said it was loud. They claimed to have fixed it but they didn’t. It’s muffled when the interior roof part is closed. It’s definitely coming from somewhere in the panoramic sunroof. They have the car for a 2nd time trying to fix the multiple rattles. There is a loud one in the dashboard.