AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/)
-   -   Gashed front bumper (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/gashed-front-bumper-976807/)

Dereileak 01-29-2019 06:00 PM

Gashed front bumper

While driving today I went to change lanes and I didn’t see this low trailer this guy was pulling and I caught the side of it with my front bumper. Gashed through my XPEL clear film and down into the plastic. How would you guys recommend fixing this? I don’t think it’s worth going through insurance as my deduct is $500 I believe. I’m pretty sad right now, should I just sand it out and touch up with touch up paint, have a body shop fix it or just get a new bumper? 😪

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2ab7e26d7.jpeg

Dereileak 01-29-2019 06:22 PM

I found this part, but I don't know if its correct: Bumper part 04711-TA0-A90ZZ Link

Does anyone here have access to diagrams for the a-spec so I can see the diagram of the parts for the front bumper?

If that is the part it must come unpainted :\

thoiboi 01-29-2019 06:33 PM

That's so minor, just get a body shop to fill sand paint sand clear.

Dereileak 01-29-2019 06:56 PM

I wonder what that would cost.

Looks like the xpel held up at the front but not the back

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...fe1729d6b.jpeg

thoiboi 01-29-2019 08:20 PM

can't be more expensive than a new bumper and then painting..

Dereileak 01-29-2019 10:09 PM

Rob175 01-30-2019 08:52 AM

New car.........I'd get it professionally fixed. BUT FIRST I'd get multiple quotes, you might be shocked to learn how expensive ANY body work costs and you may just claim it. I know rear bumper "covers" can easily cost $3M ro remove, replace, paint and re-install. My concern would be that the work be done perfectly on a new car.

Dereileak 01-30-2019 02:34 PM

So far my first quote I got is $641 said and done. I’m wondering if I’m better off just getting a new bumper and having it painted and then swapping it out myself, otherwise I’m out a car for a few days and I feel a new bumper will have a less of a chance to have problems

BreezyTL 01-30-2019 03:56 PM

How do you not see a trailer?

Dereileak 01-30-2019 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BreezyTL (Post 16374443)
How do you not see a trailer?

its easy to ask that, but the trailer was sitting very low, and it stuck out about 1 foot on each side of the vehicle that was pulling it. It didn't show up in my mirror at all, all I saw was the SUV. Just sucks overall.

subin 01-30-2019 05:17 PM

I would just use touch-up paint to fix it. The touch-up paint (pen) that I got from Curry Acura has a felt tip on top that is abrasive for you to use to clean up the area first, wipe it clean and then you can open the cover and use the ball pen like tip to apply the paint. Once that is dry, you have the options to sand it to smooth the paint out and polish the area, or just leave it the way it is and then apply the clear coat, which is at the bottom of the touch-up paint (the flat bottom side).
When you get the OEM touch-up paint, just remember that when opening the bottom clear coat paint, keep the flat bottom side pointing downward, otherwise, the clear coat paint will flow out after opening.

Dereileak 01-30-2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by subin (Post 16374491)
I would just use touch-up paint to fix it. The touch-up paint (pen) that I got from Curry Acura has a felt tip on top that is abrasive for you to use to clean up the area first, wipe it clean and then you can open the cover and use the ball pen like tip to apply the paint. Once that is dry, you have the options to sand it to smooth the paint out and polish the area, or just leave it the way it is and then apply the clear coat, which is at the bottom of the touch-up paint (the flat bottom side).
When you get the OEM touch-up paint, just remember that when opening the bottom clear coat paint, keep the flat bottom side pointing downward, otherwise, the clear coat paint will flow out after opening.

I’m debating that also, I bought touch up paint right when I bought the car just wondering how well it would hide this.

JustMe... 01-30-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16374492)
I’m debating that also, I bought touch up paint right when I bought the car just wondering how well it would hide this.

More than likely, only you will notice it. You should at least give it a try.

Dereileak 01-30-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JustMe... (Post 16374521)
More than likely, only you will notice it. You should at least give it a try.

I suppose worst case a body shop will just sand out what I did, it’s really not that big of a scratch, Idk if I can justify $650 for that, then your get it fixed and something else happens

MI-RDX 01-31-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16374492)

FWIW something similar happen to my '14 Cadillac (someone backed a golf cart into the rear bumper, damage worse than yours) and I went the touch up paint route. A little careful prep work to smooth out the scratch, 2 coats of color and 1 coat of clear pretty much leveled the depression and it was for all practical purposes invisible unless you knew where it was and went looking for it.

Rob175 01-31-2019 08:30 AM

Other than tiny stone chips I would never try to "touch-up" a new car. If done professionally, you'll never see it. If you care about re-sale get it done professionally.

BreezyTL 01-31-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16374445)
its easy to ask that, but the trailer was sitting very low, and it stuck out about 1 foot on each side of the vehicle that was pulling it. It didn't show up in my mirror at all, all I saw was the SUV. Just sucks overall.

I hear ya. I would sand it and do touch up paint. Also that quote is really high!

Rob175 02-01-2019 09:24 AM

Really?!?.....you think $600 is "high" for a repair....I don't. If my $45,000+ NEW CAR was dinged like that, do to my own mistake, and I planned on keeping it for a number of years....I'd "bite the bullet" and spend the money to fix my mistake. Touch up paint will not fix it and you'll ALWAYS see it. Spend the money, get it fixed properly, and learn to turn your head and look (the old fashioned way) before you change lanes......."nuff said".

BreezyTL 02-01-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 16375429)
Really?!?.....you think $600 is "high" for a repair....I don't. If my $45,000+ NEW CAR was dinged like that, do to my own mistake, and I planned on keeping it for a number of years....I'd "bite the bullet" and spend the money to fix my mistake. Touch up paint will not fix it and you'll ALWAYS see it. Spend the money, get it fixed properly, and learn to turn your head and look (the old fashioned way) before you change lanes......."nuff said".

I've had multiple cars touched up for $300-$400 with more damage than a scratch like this. Also, with it being new there won't be the need to blend much.

Dereileak 02-01-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 16375429)

I did turn my head when changing lanes but the trailer was below the window line and could not be seen, just a crappy situation

Dizzyg12 02-03-2019 06:04 PM

FWIW, I have the apex blue pearl as well. I have a ding in the rear passenger quarter panel. I actually had a claim in with the guys insurance that hit it. I haven’t repaired it yet, but the 3 different body shops I went to for opinions ALL said that they would not paint the bumper. They said that there’s no blending that because the bumpers are plastic and if you look close at factory paint jobs they don’t match. They were surprised that mine actually looked that close to begin with but they said that if they painted a portion of it then you’d see more because it wouldn’t match the rest of the bumper. So they don’t do it. For that reason I have dragged my feet in doing anything because I honestly don’t want to try match or blend anything. Hopefully when it warms up I can get back to tearing apart the rear trim to get access for PDR.

in your case, touching up won’t look great no matter how good Of a job you can do or get done. If you’re ok with it, fine, but don’t expect a factory like finish on a bumper and trying to match a fender paint job.