Gas leaking into oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Gas leaking into oil?

Just read the latest copy of CR(Feb 2019) and they say that a lot of Honda CR-V owners with the 1.5T engine have reported gasoline leaking into their oil. Honda says that this is mainly caused in vehicles driven in very cold climates although no information on exactly what is causing this was provided. They did not mention the Honda 2.0T, or anything to do with Acura but thought I would post this as a heads up. Gasoline in the oil is bad news.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...l-guys-975121/
Old 01-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl77
Just read the latest copy of CR(Feb 2019) and they say that a lot of Honda CR-V owners with the 1.5T engine have reported gasoline leaking into their oil. Honda says that this is mainly caused in vehicles driven in very cold climates although no information on exactly what is causing this was provided. They did not mention the Honda 2.0T, or anything to do with Acura but thought I would post this as a heads up. Gasoline in the oil is bad news.
Thanks, but this is VERY old news has has been all over the Internet for quote sometime including this forum. Honda has a "software" fix for the 1.5T to help it get up to operating temp quicker which has also been documented to work well. We'll see if that "fixes" the OD issues but there has never been formal mention of the 2.0 having this same issue that I am aware of then a few folks claiming they are experiencing the same with their engines.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Ironically, I didn't have any oil dilution issues with the 1.5T in my 2017 Civic, but both my 2018 Accord and 2019 RDX with the 2.0T started smelling like gasoline under the hood and occasionally in the cabin at around the 3,500-mile mark.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Gas smell in cab

glad I found this post. I have a 2019 rdx and when you get in it after it’s been driven it smells like gas in the interior of the
car. So? This is a known issue ?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by swansong04
glad I found this post. I have a 2019 rdx and when you get in it after it’s been driven it smells like gas in the interior of the
Yup, a well known issue; have your dealer try the software patch to see if that cures the issue.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Yup, a well known issue; have your dealer try the software patch to see if that cures the issue.
thanks.
Called the dealer and talked to the service department to make an appointment and of course they have never heard of this issue. Going to bring it in next Saturday.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Latent car nut

thanks.
Called the dealer and talked to the service department to make an appointment and of course they have never heard of this issue. Going to bring it in next Saturday.
Search around this and other Honda/Acura sites, I'm pretty sure you can come up with the TSB on the issue.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Yup, a well known issue...
It is? Please list some references. I've only seen one post on this forum regarding it.

Search around this and other Honda/Acura sites, I'm pretty sure you can come up with the TSB on the issue.
Are you associating this with the 1.5l turbo in the CR-V/Civic?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Latent car nut

Yes, same engine.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Yes, same engine.
the 1.5t and the 2.0t are the same
engine ?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Latent car nut

the 1.5t and the 2.0t are the same
engine ?
Sorry, my bad, I thought you had the 1.5T in your car.

No, not the same engine at all.

Question, do you do lots of short trips in your car?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Sorry, my bad, I thought you had the 1.5T in your car.

No, not the same engine at all.

Question, do you do lots of short trips in your car?
doing some reading sounds the the direct injection portion is the same. Most of the cars driving is highway trips but there
isntje odd short trip down to town. My Wife got home
from work the other night after a 40 km highway drive and I went out 15 mins after she got home and it smelled like someone poured gas in the Interior.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Racer

All direct injection engines will have some gas getting into the oil. Honda's 1.5l Turbo has been known to be worse than others. The 2.0l Turbo in the RDX has not had the same complaints, to date. This was one of the reasons I joined this forum. I wanted to see if this issue was going to show itself as the winter progressed. It has not.

swansong04, have you checked your oil dipstick? All will smell of gas, but unless it's way above the full mark, I would not be that concerned. However, If the gas smell in the cabin is strong, I would get that looked at.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Interesting reading the responses. My answer worked be a big fat NO...this is not a known issue. You are saying that the INSIDE of your vehicle smells like gas and that is NOT normal and I know of no one that has expressed smelling gas in the inside of their RDX. Your oil may have a hint of gas smell when checking the dip stick but you not be smelling any gas inside your vehicle. The oil dilution problem is a completely separate issue then what it sounds like you are experiencing based on your post.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JustMe...
All direct injection engines will have some gas getting into the oil. Honda's 1.5l Turbo has been known to be worse than others. The 2.0l Turbo in the RDX has not had the same complaints, to date. This was one of the reasons I joined this forum. I wanted to see if this issue was going to show itself as the winter progressed. It has not.

swansong04, have you checked your oil dipstick? All will smell of gas, but unless it's way above the full mark, I would not be that concerned. However, If the gas smell in the cabin is strong, I would get that looked at.
I just went for a drive and got the car warm. Then came back and checked the oil. It’s smelled almost like pure gasoline. Another thing I noticed is oil seemed dirty. It had its first oil change at Acura only a few weeks ago.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Racer

I just went for a drive and got the car warm. Then came back and checked the oil. It’s smelled almost like pure gasoline. Another thing I noticed is oil seemed dirty. It had its first oil change at Acura only a few weeks ago.
Where was the level when you checked it?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Where was the level when you checked it?
seemed low. Middle of the yellow bit on the bottom.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Racer

seemed low. Middle of the yellow bit on the bottom.
That's good. It seems like you do not have the gas in oil issue then.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Pro

I've had multiple vehicles with direct injection in the last few years...

A 2016 CR-V with the 2.4L smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2017 Ridgeline with the 3.5L never smelled like gasoline.
A 2017 Civic Si with the 1.5T never smelled like gasoline.
A 2018 Accord with the 2.0T smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2019 RDX with the 2.0T smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2019 Ridgeline with the 3.5L doesn't smell like gasoline.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zroger73
I've had multiple vehicles with direct injection in the last few years...

A 2016 CR-V with the 2.4L smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2017 Ridgeline with the 3.5L never smelled like gasoline.
A 2017 Civic Si with the 1.5T never smelled like gasoline.
A 2018 Accord with the 2.0T smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2019 RDX with the 2.0T smelled like gasoline after being driven.
A 2019 Ridgeline with the 3.5L doesn't smell like gasoline.
sucks when you open the hood and it smells like my 1990 Civic Si. That had 450k on it.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 AM
Pro

sucks when you open the hood and it smells like my 1990 Civic Si. That had 450k on it.
I didn't even have to open the hoods. Let's say I stopped at a grocery store and walked in to get milk and bananas then came back out to my car five minutes later. As soon as I started the car, the HVAC would pull the fuel odor into the cabin. It would clear out in a minute or so. If I parked the cars then opened the hoods and started sniffing around, it seemed slightly stronger on the passenger side. If I had previously set the HVAC to use recirculated air or if it chose it automatically, I wouldn't smell the fuel odor inside.

it wasn't an alarming amount of fuel odor as if gasoline were dripping from the vehicle, but closer to the level you might expect if you spilled a drop or two of fuel on your hands or clothes when refueling then got back into the vehicle.

The first few times it happened, I thought I was smelling fuel from nearby gas stations, but it continued to happen even when there were no gas stations around.

I find it ironic that the Civic, which has the 1.5T that's experiencing the fuel dilution issues, was one of my Hondas that didn't have the fuel odor. I drive a lot of different vehicles and I've only noticed this issue in relatively recent Hondas. Whatever the cause, a brand new vehicle shouldn't smell like gasoline under the hood or in the cabin. For me, it was mostly an annoying embarrassment when passengers would look at me and ask, "Do you smell gasoline?" when getting back into the vehicles and I'd answer, "Yes. I've had a few recent Hondas do that.
swansong04 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zroger73
I didn't even have to open the hoods. Let's say I stopped at a grocery store and walked in to get milk and bananas then came back out to my car five minutes later. As soon as I started the car, the HVAC would pull the fuel odor into the cabin. It would clear out in a minute or so. If I parked the cars then opened the hoods and started sniffing around, it seemed slightly stronger on the passenger side. If I had previously set the HVAC to use recirculated air or if it chose it automatically, I wouldn't smell the fuel odor inside.

it wasn't an alarming amount of fuel odor as if gasoline were dripping from the vehicle, but closer to the level you might expect if you spilled a drop or two of fuel on your hands or clothes when refueling then got back into the vehicle.

The first few times it happened, I thought I was smelling fuel from nearby gas stations, but it continued to happen even when there were no gas stations around.

I find it ironic that the Civic, which has the 1.5T that's experiencing the fuel dilution issues, was one of my Hondas that didn't have the fuel odor. I drive a lot of different vehicles and I've only noticed this issue in relatively recent Hondas. Whatever the cause, a brand new vehicle shouldn't smell like gasoline under the hood or in the cabin. For me, it was mostly an annoying embarrassment when passengers would look at me and ask, "Do you smell gasoline?" when getting back into the vehicles and I'd answer, "Yes. I've had a few recent Hondas do that.
I couldn't agree more. a new Acura SHOULDN'T have this happening .
Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE: so took my rdx in to Acura and they diagnosed what I already told them that the oil level was high and I was full of gas. They gave a courtesy car until they could talk to there engineering team on Monday morning. They have never heard of this issue so they told the dealer to put new oil in the car and give it back to us and we are supposed to let them know if it happens again. So who responsible for the added engine wear at the point because of broken down oil??grrrrr not impressed with my new acira
expercince so far.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
UPDATE: so took my rdx in to Acura and they diagnosed what I already told them that the oil level was high and I was full of gas. They gave a courtesy car until they could talk to there engineering team on Monday morning. They have never heard of this issue so they told the dealer to put new oil in the car and give it back to us and we are supposed to let them know if it happens again. So who responsible for the added engine wear at the point because of broken down oil??grrrrr not impressed with my new acira
expercince so far.
Did you call BS on the statement that Acura had never heard of the gas in the oil issue? There are many others who have posted here that their similar issue has been reported to Acura. It is amazing that Acura is pretending it has never heard of the issue before. I wonder if Honda has ever heard about a similar issue with the CR-V?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Did you call BS on the statement that Acura had never heard of the gas in the oil issue? There are many others who have posted here that their similar issue has been reported to Acura. It is amazing that Acura is pretending it has never heard of the issue before. I wonder if Honda has ever heard about a similar issue with the CR-V?
Here's the thing, the CR-V (powered by the L15B7 engine) uses a completely different engine than the RDX (powered by the K20C4 engine); two very-very different motors. While both engines are turbocharged and use Direct Injection, they are different animals and what goes wrong with one is in no way an indictment against the other.
securityguy (01-26-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Ok! Horsehoez, thank you! Seriously! L15 is the name for the new 1.5T line, I had been wondering but never really looked.

I'm also very happy to see the 2.0T is part of the
K series.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Here's the thing, the CR-V (powered by the L15B7 engine) uses a completely different engine than the RDX (powered by the K20C4 engine); two very-very different motors. While both engines are turbocharged and use Direct Injection, they are different animals and what goes wrong with one is in no way an indictment against the other.
I was joking about Honda and the CR-V. I realize the RDX uses a different engine. However, Acura obviously is aware of reports of gas in the oil on the new RDX. Hopefully it will not be as big of a problem on the 2.0T as it reportedly is on the 1.5T. However, Honda for a very long time claimed there was no issue with the 1.5T engine either. It was only after China forced them to stop selling them that Honda rolled out a purported fix.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 PM
Null and proud of it

I know this is a little off topic, but my Honda dealer never heard of this issue. The 2019 Civics are having an issue with the emissions light, but that's the only thing going on down here. It's funny how most of these issues are happening are being reported in northern areas, I may be in the south, but it still gets pretty cold here.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I know this is a little off topic, but my Honda dealer never heard of this issue. The 2019 Civics are having an issue with the emissions light, but that's the only thing going on down here. It's funny how most of these issues are happening are being reported in northern areas, I may be in the south, but it still gets pretty cold here.
My local Acura dealer knew all about the CRV gas in oil problem. How can a recall on all their CRV's with the 1.5L Turbo engine in China be something that no one knows about? Bravo SIerra.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Havasubum
My local Acura dealer knew all about the CRV gas in oil problem. How can a recall on all their CRV's with the 1.5L Turbo engine in China be something that no one knows about? Bravo SIerra.
My dealer never had it happen yet, we'll see...
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
My dealer never had it happen yet, we'll see...
All Owners of 2017 and 2018 CRV's have received recall notices for an oil change, a computer flash and a new A/C control unit.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Latent car nut

Silly me, I thought this thread was about the Acura RDX.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Havasubum
All Owners of 2017 and 2018 CRV's have received recall notices for an oil change, a computer flash and a new A/C control unit.
That's not correct.

"Honda says it will begin rolling out a CR-V engine fix in December for models with a faulty turbocharged engine that can leak gasoline into the oil system. But the automaker will focus initially on just five northern states: Maine, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. And the company is delaying the repair from its original November timetable. Honda says the fix will apply to all 2017 and 2018 Honda CR-Vs in those states with 1.5-liter turbo engines, which it estimates to be about 25,000 vehicles. Over the following two months, the company will extend the fix to those vehicles in 16 additional states: Alaska, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont." - https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...rollout-plans/
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Well since we are talking about CRV’s now. My wives friend has a 2018 and the local Honda dealship called and told them there was a recall for this and promptly fixed the issue. This is in BC so I guess this is considered a “northern” area.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Well , was away on holidays for 2 weeks but when we got it back from Acura two weeks later same things. took it back again and they said there was nothing they could do about it , got a hold of Acura Canada and they said the same thing.. feeling kinda lost at this point. have a brand new car with gas in the oil and the dipstick is reading over full . I hope at some point they get this worked out... THIS CAN'T BE GOOD FOR THE ENGINE !!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Pro

Well , was away on holidays for 2 weeks but when we got it back from Acura two weeks later same things. took it back again and they said there was nothing they could do about it , got a hold of Acura Canada and they said the same thing.. feeling kinda lost at this point. have a brand new car with gas in the oil and the dipstick is reading over full . I hope at some point they get this worked out... THIS CAN'T BE GOOD FOR THE ENGINE !!
I don't know - I changed the oil for the first time in my three year-old pressure washer equipped with a Honda GC190 engine last night and more water came out than oil! Apparently, the pump has been leaking into the crankcase, but it still starts easy, doesn't smoke, and has plenty of power.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
if you do many short trips this is gonna happen, you need to drive a nice long trip with the engine up to temp for the gas to burn off. It’s a factor that’s known in direct injection engines, of course a lot of it happen in is bad, but a small amount is really normal for this engine type. I would prefer myself not to smell gas in my oil, but gas is very potent and it doesn’t take much to have the smell occur
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dereileak

if you do many short trips this is gonna happen, you need to drive a nice long trip with the engine up to temp for the gas to burn off. It’s a factor that’s known in direct injection engines, of course a lot of it happen in is bad, but a small amount is really normal for this engine type. I would prefer myself not to smell gas in my oil, but gas is very potent and it doesn’t take much to have the smell occur
see that's the thing, the wife drives it to work down the freeway 30km each way so there is no issue with the engine not heating up and it still has this problem.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine is above the mark after 7000km (4350 miles) and 6 months. The oil did not have a strong gas odour but I checked it after it had been sitting on a level pad overnight and it was about 4C (39F) inside the garage. I do make a very short trip every week day and a longer 25 minute commute two days a week.

Taking it in for its' first service in the next week or two.

Quick Reply: Gas leaking into oil?