Brake squealing dealership "lying" to me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020 | 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Brake squealing dealership "lying" to me?

I know there are loads of threads on this.. However I called acura today and they told me word for word the following "We are waiting for acura to make a new brake composite to fix this issue, originally we thought the issue was fixed until we had cars coming back with the same issue please call back again next month"
Old 02-13-2020 | 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillyman1998
I know there are loads of threads on this.. However I called acura today and they told me word for word the following "We are waiting for acura to make a new brake composite to fix this issue, originally we thought the issue was fixed until we had cars coming back with the same issue please call back again next month"
that sounds spot on accurate
Old 02-13-2020 | 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, because "fix" does not seem to work. I dont know if Acura is making another fix, it may never come. How hard its to make rotors/pads that dont squeal?! Its ridiculous. For some people like myself, the problem was pretty bad, and then after 5K miles it got minimized, that its practically gone. Maybe you have to wear out initial layer? Not sure what the deal is.
Old 02-13-2020 | 07:51 PM
Instructor

Mine just started. No fix yet.

So far, it’s just the rear but it still annoying.
Old 02-24-2020 | 11:28 AM
Drifting

Kinda doubt Acura makes brake pads or rotors, but I don't doubt that they are working with suppliers and testing things. Like they shoulda done a long time ago.

But I agree the problem has subsided with wear ( about 12k miles now ) for my N=1, and I have had no repair. They never really squealed very much ( I have disc brakes on bicycles for that ), but they made a horrible grinding/grating sound when new.

Maybe winter road slop helps bed things in. It's sure not good for anything else.
Old 02-24-2020 | 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wander
Kinda doubt Acura makes brake pads or rotors, but I don't doubt that they are working with suppliers and testing things. Like they shoulda done a long time ago.

But I agree the problem has subsided with wear ( about 12k miles now ) for my N=1, and I have had no repair. They never really squealed very much ( I have disc brakes on bicycles for that ), but they made a horrible grinding/grating sound when new.

Maybe winter road slop helps bed things in. It's sure not good for anything else.
I was about the schedule mine at another dealer, but as you've noticed with yours, mine brake issue (more of the grinding noise) seems to have diminished. It's still there at times,but isn't as consistent as it once was. Very odd.
Old 02-24-2020 | 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wmkim
I was about the schedule mine at another dealer, but as you've noticed with yours, mine brake issue (more of the grinding noise) seems to have diminished. It's still there at times,but isn't as consistent as it once was. Very odd.
I am in the same situation, its almost not there, just occasional squeaks here and there, definitely got more quiet over time. I am afraid if I bring it in, the newer stuff might not be any better, possibly worse
Old 02-25-2020 | 08:55 AM
Advanced

I've had mine in twice for the squealing and each time it's better for about a week. Now it squeals when they're cold and makes a low pitch howl/grind from the front any time I brake. It's going back for visit #3 on Thursday. It's beyond frustrating for a car at this price that has so much going for it in other areas. It's not rocket science, just brake science. And Acura not having a solution to something that doesn't seem to affect most other cars is just ridiculous.

Maybe they're just waiting until the weather warms up?
Old 02-27-2020 | 09:21 AM
1st Gear

Hi, I'm new to the forum but my new RDX has squealing brakes since the first week, and very poor gas mileage aprox, 14 mpg, took back to the dealer said nothing wrong , change gas ?? Really?? so far not impressed by this RDX think trade in is in my near future to anther brand. Any suggestions?
Swangirl60
Old 02-27-2020 | 09:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by swangirl60
Hi, I'm new to the forum but my new RDX has squealing brakes since the first week, and very poor gas mileage aprox, 14 mpg, took back to the dealer said nothing wrong , change gas ?? Really?? so far not impressed by this RDX think trade in is in my near future to anther brand. Any suggestions?
Swangirl60
I can't solve the squeaking brakes because I have them too. They do get less squeaky and the squeaking is less frequent but they are still doing it 2000 miles later.

As far the fuel economy, the RDX is super sensitive to how you drive it. 1) Watch your rpm and keep them under 2500rpm when accelerating, better yet 2000rpm. 2) Keep your highway speeds to <70mph and use cruise when possible. If you do not want to drive with a light foot and keep it at 70mph or below, you can expect crappy fuel economy. For example, my friend and I have RDX advance models with similar commutes - he gets 18-19mpg and I get 25-26mpg just from driving it cautiously. I can drive his and easily cross 25mpg so it may not be your car. I was initially get 20-22mpg until I changed how I drove it. Also, keeping in on comfort mode instead of sport/sport+ may help because I think the throttle is less aggressive.

My RDX has several annyong issues (suspension noise, steering wheel squeak, squeaky brakes) but fuel economy is not one of them. That has been excellent based on my expectations.
Old 02-29-2020 | 09:03 AM
Advanced

Had mine into the dealer this week for brake noise (3rd trip) after speaking with Acura National Customer Service. They admitted that there wasn't a fix in the system but perhaps my dealer had an "in-house" fix that could help (nope). Acura CS said this issue was a "top priority" so take that for what it's worth. The service department did hear the creaky front suspension so they replaced the front control arms and bushings under warranty and that seems to be fixed now. But the brake squeal and howl is still there. The mechanic who did the test drives with me sympathized with RDX owners and said that it's been really hard on the service departments as they are constantly facing our problems with no fix from Acura USA (he made the sign of the cross at the infotainment system). In his words, the RDX " needed another year in the oven before it came out." True, true.

I'm at just under 11K miles and honestly, other than the inability of them to solve this brake issue, I'm pretty happy with my RDX now that the infotainment issues seem to be ironed out (at least for me and my android phone). But Acura's handling of the new RDX's rollout has left me less than impressed with them as a corporate entity. It will be a tough call as to whether I'll go Acura again in the future.

Anyone one try an aftermarket pad yet?
Old 02-29-2020 | 12:55 PM
Drifting

There's this TSB for 2019 RDX. 2020 is excluded for some reason. Is this not working?

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-053.PDF
Old 02-29-2020 | 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BerwynBill
Had mine into the dealer this week for brake noise (3rd trip) after speaking with Acura National Customer Service. They admitted that there wasn't a fix in the system but perhaps my dealer had an "in-house" fix that could help (nope). Acura CS said this issue was a "top priority" so take that for what it's worth. The service department did hear the creaky front suspension so they replaced the front control arms and bushings under warranty and that seems to be fixed now. But the brake squeal and howl is still there. The mechanic who did the test drives with me sympathized with RDX owners and said that it's been really hard on the service departments as they are constantly facing our problems with no fix from Acura USA (he made the sign of the cross at the infotainment system). In his words, the RDX " needed another year in the oven before it came out." True, true.

I'm at just under 11K miles and honestly, other than the inability of them to solve this brake issue, I'm pretty happy with my RDX now that the infotainment issues seem to be ironed out (at least for me and my android phone). But Acura's handling of the new RDX's rollout has left me less than impressed with them as a corporate entity. It will be a tough call as to whether I'll go Acura again in the future.

yea I agree, they made a great car that had bugs that needed more time, it really ticked off a lot of long time owners of the brand and first time owners like myself, makes me question of going with them again in the future, the way they handle some of these issues were terrible and not transparent at all, they leave the new owners in the dark with the issues they have, on top of taking years to come out with fixes, just ridiculous
Old 02-29-2020 | 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
There's this TSB for 2019 RDX. 2020 is excluded for some reason. Is this not working?

I think 2020 has different pads/rotors parts. I think both of TSBs are kind of on hold now because they dont appear to be working. Maybe they will release another tsb for 2019 and 2020 fo replace previoous
Old 03-04-2020 | 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

Angry 4th brake visit to dealer

My experience started back in Oct 2019 on my 2020 RDX. The dealer replaced pads because they said they were warped from sitting on the lot. Ok, no biggie, then 1 week later the squealing pig was back, took it in for 2nd time. This time they held my car for 10 days - changed the rotors in the front & all new pads. Picked it up, & this time it lasted about 12 days. I waited until after xmas - then dropped it off again. 1st we blasted the dealer on FB & they admitted that they have had dozens of complaints on this issue. They basically had an emergency meeting with Acura in CA. The coating they put on the brakes is to avoid corrosion & this is the source of the squealing pig. This time they had my car for 3wks (Acura Corp had to pay the loaner car) - sooo I picked it up after they said they "think" the squealing happens when its wet outside & that is normal. WRONG !! We filed a claim with Acura to buy back the car and they said it would take a week to 10 days for decision, 2 weeks passed. We called and that is when they declined to do anything except give us a voucher for $350 for future maintenance. They would not give us copy of the declination letter or a letter stating the brakes are safe. NOTHING. Today the car is back at the dealership (4th time) no fix in place. Today we called an attorney to file a lawsuit based on the Lemon law in PA we are with in our rights. I will keep you posted .........
Old 03-05-2020 | 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Liz Espaillat
My experience started back in Oct 2019 on my 2020 RDX. The dealer replaced pads because they said they were warped from sitting on the lot. Ok, no biggie, then 1 week later the squealing pig was back, took it in for 2nd time. This time they held my car for 10 days - changed the rotors in the front & all new pads. Picked it up, & this time it lasted about 12 days. I waited until after xmas - then dropped it off again. 1st we blasted the dealer on FB & they admitted that they have had dozens of complaints on this issue. They basically had an emergency meeting with Acura in CA. The coating they put on the brakes is to avoid corrosion & this is the source of the squealing pig. This time they had my car for 3wks (Acura Corp had to pay the loaner car) - sooo I picked it up after they said they "think" the squealing happens when its wet outside & that is normal. WRONG !! We filed a claim with Acura to buy back the car and they said it would take a week to 10 days for decision, 2 weeks passed. We called and that is when they declined to do anything except give us a voucher for $350 for future maintenance. They would not give us copy of the declination letter or a letter stating the brakes are safe. NOTHING. Today the car is back at the dealership (4th time) no fix in place. Today we called an attorney to file a lawsuit based on the Lemon law in PA we are with in our rights. I will keep you posted .........
brake squealing will not get you lemon law 😂😂😂😂😂😂 good luck with that
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 09:58 AM
Advanced

Well, I'm at the point of just doing a brake job on it myself. After the dealer replaced the rotors on the front, it developed a lower pitch howl/growl when braking from above 40 mph anytime regardless of temp. I pointed it out to the tech during a test drive and they said they would fix it. After two trips to the dealer, this new noise, that the car never had before they started working on it, persists and the dealer has told me they can do nothing else to fix it. I have a case open with Acura Client Relations and they've been nice on the phone but I guess it's fine that my car is actually worse than when I first brought it in.

I feel bad for the floor mechanics at my dealer as they have been genuinely helpful in trying to fix my car but they can't do anything to it without approval from Acura Service and Acura just seems to have given up. My sad advice is to enjoy the quiet once the weather warms up and don't try to get it fixed. You could end up with something worse and be told that that too, isn't fixable.

Old 03-05-2020 | 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Liz Espaillat
The brake making noise is not unsafe... it is easier to prove the brakes on your car is safe then they are not. I am curious how your attorney is going to spin the case to make it stick. On the other hand, I don't know why Acura still cannot rectify the issue for you. Good luck with your case.
Old 03-06-2020 | 10:13 AM
Advanced

Just a follow up on my conversation this morning with Acura Client Relations regarding my case in trying to resolve the original brake issue and the one that started during servicing:

In a nutshell, sorry, but you'll just have to live with it. Case closed (literally, they closed my open case file).

There is no fix for the cold weather squeal. Acura engineers are looking into it but there is nothing they can do other than put new parts on that are the same as the old parts and give the same results. Unfortunately in my case, somewhere in that happening, a new noise developed that Acura describes as being part of the normal function of my vehicle and not a safety issue. They've never heard the noise that my brakes now make as I slow from above 40 mph but they somehow know it's not a safety issue so they won't be doing anymore service to my car to try to solve it. Even though it started as a result of their working on my car.

My advice to RDX owners, based on my many trips to the dealer and multiple conversations with Acura Client Relations, is to avoid trying to get the cold weather high pitched squeal serviced. Acura doesn't know how to fix it and they can certainly make the situation worse trying to. If Acura truly is trying to engineer a fix, they'll come out with it at some point. Or the complaints will fade with the warming weather and they'll just leave it be until next winter. Who knows.

My advice to prospective RDX owners is to make damn sure you can live with a car that wasn't truly shaken out before being brought to market. If you can't, then look elsewhere. The RDX is a fine handling car with a lot going for it but it is still a work in progress and Acura's ability to address these issues is sorely lacking.

Just my $.02 based on a few weeks of trying. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Not valid with other coupons.
sonyfever (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020 | 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Feel bad for you that Acura messed it up... does the new noise always occur? Have you tried redo the bed-in procedure?

If you decide to take the matter into your own hands, I highly recommend Centric (or Stoptech) rotors and Centric posi-quiet brake pads. Centric/Stoptech have been my go-to brand for anything brake related, inexpensive but effective. If the combination works for you let us know. I know I will eventually use Centric parts when my brake needs replacing.
Old 03-06-2020 | 01:47 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I've gone through the bed-in steps and it's still there. I spoke to the dealership service agent again and I might be able to get them to put a new set of rotors on as the agent seems to think Acura's position is bullshit. Of course, he has to answer to the service manager, who has to answer to Acura, so we'll see.

I second the StopTech recommendation; I use the sport pads on my autocross MX-5 and they rock. They served me well on my past daily cars too but I don't want start spending extra $$ on something that Acura should be dealing with. Of course, that may be no longer the case so I'll probably be making a visit to RockAuto soon. Front brake and rotor kit is about $110. I'll definitely report back if I go that route.
Old 03-06-2020 | 02:57 PM
Instructor

I have through about putting on some cheap new rotors and pads to see if it makes a difference. But that would take time I do not currently have. When I replace them it will be with the Centric rotor/pad combos that are on my other cars.

Anyway, I don't find the squealing that bad and it is certainly not a safety issue. Acura, as a "premium" brand, should be embarrassed for not addressing this immediately. It makes the brand look cheap and certainly sound that way.
Old 03-13-2020 | 07:55 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BerwynBill

My RDX 2020 (with 2k miles) has the same brake issue. Our dealer said they know the problem and are waiting for a recall from Acura.
Old 03-13-2020 | 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acurasong
My RDX 2020 (with 2k miles) has the same brake issue. Our dealer said they know the problem and are waiting for a recall from Acura.
zero chance for recall, if they come up with new parts or fix, TSB will be issued.
Old 03-17-2020 | 11:12 AM
7th Gear

About 4 - 6 weeks ago I started a thread about the brake squeal noises. After a 2nd trip to the dealer, they replaced rotors and pads. However, within the last few days, about 1000 miles on, the brake noises are once again quite evident. The dealer has scheduled an appt. for next Wednesday. Will see what happens. Difference is this time, the noise started at 1000 miles where with the original (factory) set, the noises started about 4000 miles. Strange and different from some of the responses here where others indicated that the noise disappeared or got better with more mileage. Of course the driving characteristics have been different, where the first 2 - 3000 miles were primarily highway and the last 1000 city. Who knows?

Also, as mentioned in the earlier thread, while in for service, the dealer noted the problem with the lower control arms and replaced at that time. So proactive on that. Bottom line, the dealer is caught in the middle. All the tech's, advisors, management at my dealer have been open, honest and professional with me. However, if this continues, maybe I'll look into OEM rotors and pads.

Not that it helps, but I owned a 2004 Outback that the brakes squealed almost from day one. Every time I took it in, the service people said that the noise was a known and harmless byproduct of brake dust in that year/model. I wasn't happy about it, safety and performance was never affected, but I always made sure to document on every service appt that I made, just to be covered.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2020 | 12:01 PM
Instructor

My RDX is at the dealer right now. Break squeal is basically considered normal and is no longer being addressed (other than they will look at your brakes for other issues).

Tech said it is a function of the pads.
Old 03-20-2020 | 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fogdoctor
My RDX is at the dealer right now. Break squeal is basically considered normal and is no longer being addressed (other than they will look at your brakes for other issues).

Tech said it is a function of the pads.
Brakes squealing on a new car it is not considered normal, as already mentioned above, there's TSB 19-053 for this issue.

TSB 19-053 - Front and/or Rear Brakes Squeal When Applied at Low Speeds

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...nu/B19-053.PDF
Old 03-20-2020 | 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDMaccord3.5
Brakes squealing on a new car it is not considered normal, as already mentioned above, there's TSB 19-053 for this issue.

TSB 19-053 - Front and/or Rear Brakes Squeal When Applied at Low Speeds

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...nu/B19-053.PDF
I do not think they are doing that TSB because it does not stop the squeal long term. It is now considered normal.

Old 03-25-2020 | 05:08 PM
Racer

I do not think they are doing that TSB because it does not stop the squeal long term. It is now considered normal.

Of course they are doing the TSB, see below
You should try a different dealership

Old 03-25-2020 | 05:14 PM
Instructor

Of course they are doing the TSB, see below
You should try a different dealership

Is this recent? And did it work? My buddy had it done and it worked for about 1000 miles and the squeal was back. According to him hey were doing when there was evidence that the rotors were bad.

I have no loyalty to my current dealership so I will try a different one if they can fix it long term. If it is just going to come back again then I'm not going to bother.
Old 03-25-2020 | 05:29 PM
Racer

Is this recent? And did it work? My buddy had it done and it worked for about 1000 miles and the squeal was back. According to him hey were doing when there was evidence that the rotors were bad.

I have no loyalty to my current dealership so I will try a different one if they can fix it long term. If it is just going to come back again then I'm not going to bother.
Yes it was recent, I'll let you know in the next few weeks if the noise went away, completely
Old 03-25-2020 | 06:23 PM
Instructor

Yes it was recent, I'll let you know in the next few weeks if the noise went away, completely
Awesome. I hope it works for you. Please keep me (us) updated.

All the other noises are gone from my RDX so if that one would go away, it would be great.
Old 03-25-2020 | 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

The TSB is only open for 2019
Old 03-28-2020 | 11:25 AM
7th Gear

This week, the dealer replaced the front pads and rear rotors (last time it was rear pads and front rotors). So now my RDX has new pads and rotors, front and rear (as well as lower control arms on front). Note that the noise that predicated my taking action this time was from the front, center when firmly braking from ~40mph or so, and was very different from the original squealing noises.
Old 05-05-2020 | 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

That's the corporate line which amounts to NOTHING. I too have called on the brake issue, and received the same response. My feeling is that the only way to leverage Acura into actually correcting the problem is to start a class action lawsuit on behalf of all owners of the 2019 and 2020 RDX models. Acura at the very LEAST was aware of this problem in the 2019 model year, and I would be willing to bet the cost of my car (and I'll throw in my house too) that Acura salespeople did NOT disclose this defect to potential buyers.... My guy in Ramsey NJ sure didn't which is why I'm driving the thing now. I'm livid about being deceived, as is Acura was "surprised" by it. Ha! What actually is at play here is the fact that they have probably ordered a few hundred thousand brake pads and don't want to eat them. Since the stop the cars, Acura isn't too willing to make corrections...... I can tell you all one thing.... I'm not going to drive a car that cost me $42k through it's natural life. Acura WILL be made to pay on this. There's strength in numbers folks. Anyone with any ideas???
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrMTF
That's the corporate line which amounts to NOTHING. I too have called on the brake issue, and received the same response. My feeling is that the only way to leverage Acura into actually correcting the problem is to start a class action lawsuit on behalf of all owners of the 2019 and 2020 RDX models. Acura at the very LEAST was aware of this problem in the 2019 model year, and I would be willing to bet the cost of my car (and I'll throw in my house too) that Acura salespeople did NOT disclose this defect to potential buyers.... My guy in Ramsey NJ sure didn't which is why I'm driving the thing now. I'm livid about being deceived, as is Acura was "surprised" by it. Ha! What actually is at play here is the fact that they have probably ordered a few hundred thousand brake pads and don't want to eat them. Since the stop the cars, Acura isn't too willing to make corrections...... I can tell you all one thing.... I'm not going to drive a car that cost me $42k through it's natural life. Acura WILL be made to pay on this. There's strength in numbers folks. Anyone with any ideas???
Really? This is all you have to think about now? Wish I could say that.

Sorry. I over reacted. OH!, perhaps you did also?

Do you really think this is a law suit worthy issue?
Old 05-06-2020 | 05:03 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

The brakes are actually stellar as far as performance goes. Squeal is generally superficial. The fact that some people get it even after several replacements while others don't have it at all (like me) makes me think it boils down more to driving style than anything else. My '20 A-Spec has nearly 9k on the clock. And no, this would not rise to the level of a class action lawsuit.
Old 05-06-2020 | 08:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio85
The brakes are actually stellar as far as performance goes. Squeal is generally superficial. The fact that some people get it even after several replacements while others don't have it at all (like me) makes me think it boils down more to driving style than anything else. My '20 A-Spec has nearly 9k on the clock. And no, this would not rise to the level of a class action lawsuit.
18,000 miles on my 19 Advance, and never a squeak from my brakes. I think weather/humidity plays a part in this drama as well. (we have 5% humidity here yesterday along with 100 degrees!
Old 05-06-2020 | 03:04 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Well, there was a TSB related to brake squeal and at least one other thread in this section on this issue. That thread is at 300 posts. Definitely something to it and no doubt frustrating for those who have a bad case. I'm happy to be outside of this club so far. Good luck if not.
Old 05-06-2020 | 07:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
18,000 miles on my 19 Advance, and never a squeak from my brakes. I think weather/humidity plays a part in this drama as well. (we have 5% humidity here yesterday along with 100 degrees!
Hey quit hogging all the nice warm weather! Send some to Wisconsin
JB in AZ (05-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Brake squealing dealership "lying" to me?