Notices

brake squealing

Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
So different brake pads fix the problem and Acura is still claiming they are working on it? Sounds about right. Based on this link, it looks like the brake pads have been revised already, so it might be worth going to the dealer and making sure you get the updated pads part number.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...1hY3VyYQ%3D%3D
  • Part Number:45022-TJB-A01
  • Part:Pad Set, Front
  • Replaces:45022-TJB-A00
Please see post #2, looks like Dereileak's dealer already put in the new pads, but the squeak came back.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by subin View Post
Please see post #2, looks like Dereileak's dealer already put in the new pads, but the squeak came back.
May be best to go aftermarket.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by subin View Post
Yeah, I was saying to make sure you actually get the new part number since it looks like it was updated. The service advisor can write it up to use the new part number that pops up in the computer but the parts department might just finish up their batch of the "front pads for the 2019 RDX" that are the old part number thinking there isn't a difference and that is what the mechanic ends up actually installing.

Or just spend the $50 and try some new aftermarket pads. Just seems annoying to have to change brake pads on a brand new car when it should be a simple fix. I would probably end up just doing it myself if I had a squeak the dealer couldn't fix it after a couple tries. You only lose an hour put them in and popping them out if it doesn't fix the problem.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree on a $40k+ car you shouldnít have to change pads within a few month of purchase but Iíve had my fair share of German cars that will dust so bad your wheels turn black in a week. So Iím used to changing them out pretty quickly.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't you supposed to have the rotors cut down when you change out pads?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tabs31 View Post
Not necessary if the rotors are in good shape, i.e. no grooving etc.

The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-07-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Well it is a "pad slap" and probably not the "proper" way to do it but if the rotors aren't damage, you probably won't notice any problems. Better than having squealing brakes when you could easily swap pads at home. If different pads actually solve the problem, it would be very disappointing that Acura is taking this long to figure it out. Not sure how anyone could ever defend them in the future regarding other issues when they claim they are working on a solution. Maybe people will have to swap in an aftermarket infotainment system on their own next?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM

My brakes have been chronically squealy (2013 RDX) for as long as I can remember. The dealership service dept has not been helpful (though they have confirmed my brakes are safe). Online searches seem to indicate this is a common problem. Highly frustrating, especially considering the cost of this vehicle! I have resigned myself to living with it since it's not a safety issue. I too have been told all the usual things: 1) All brakes squeal; 2) Well, WE can't hear it; 3) Acura is looking into this. Acura has been "looking into this" for years, as that was one of the first things I was told when I brought it up.

Well, I don't know why, but my brakes have been quiet as a mouse for the past 3 days. Two things to note: my battery died a few days ago, and I had to leave my car outside overnight in freezing temps. I only noticed the brakes being quiet after I picked up my car from the battery place, though I wasn't paying attention to how they sounded driving to the battery place. Now, I know this place (primarily a tire shop) also works on brakes, but I can't imagine they would do anything without consulting me first, and if they did, surely they would tell me they fixed a problem. My husband said that maybe the freezing temps did something, but that is just a wild guess. Anyway, I have zero idea why my brakes are now quiet, but I hope hope hope this is not a fluke and that it keeps being quiet. I just want to know HOW.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tabs31 View Post
The 2019 RDX has FNC rotors. They can not be resurfaced. It removes the coating.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello, I'm a new owner and I share the same problem of brake squealing. I own the car since 4 days and I have 350km on the meter. My dealer is surprise that it happen to me that fast. He told me that we is waiting on a TBS from Acura. He said that there is an incompatibility between disk and pads that make that noise. He is waiting to know what will be the part to change PAD or Disk to finally fix that problem.

So... brand new car, 350km and squeal like an old car..
Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stclark13 View Post
For what itís worth I was having the same issue everyone else was having with their brakes. After seeing no one got anywhere with their respective dealers I decided to take care of it myself. Went on rock auto.com and ordered new ceramic pads for $50 front and rear. Swapped them out and not only is there no squealing the pad feel is sooooo much better and car has more predictable stopping power now.
Was thinking about doing the same for a while. Your post put me over the edge. Pulled the trigger on Rock Auto myself for Centric Posi - Quiet Ceramics (front and rear).
Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Audi2Acura View Post

Was thinking about doing the same for a while. Your post put me over the edge. Pulled the trigger on Rock Auto myself for Centric Posi - Quiet Ceramics (front and rear).
Let us know how it goes. It would be very interesting if new brake pads really do solve the problem.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Do we know what other models use the brake pads as the RDX, being thatís itís so new itís hard to look it up for a lot of different brake pad manufactures, like Hawk, but I could look up another vehicle that uses the same pads.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Let us know how it goes. It would be very interesting if new brake pads really do solve the problem.
how is that brand, I am not super familiar with brake pad brands, I put Hawks in my Mazda like 5 years ago and they were awesome, but not the greatest when wet, they would take a second to really bite if they got wet, but dry they were amazing
Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post

how is that brand, I am not super familiar with brake pad brands, I put Hawks in my Mazda like 5 years ago and they were awesome, but not the greatest when wet, they would take a second to really bite if they got wet, but dry they were amazing
Not positive myself but I did a lot of reading. Centric, Hawks and Akebono kept coming up on various sites as pretty decent pads. We shall see. I have no idea what the stock/OEM pads are on the 3G RDX.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dereileak View Post
Do we know what other models use the brake pads as the RDX, being thatís itís so new itís hard to look it up for a lot of different brake pad manufactures, like Hawk, but I could look up another vehicle that uses the same pads.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Just bought from Rockauto front brake pads "Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic brake pads". Received them today. Installed them today, seems to be ok. I will see as time goes by if it still squeal, to be honest, i am pretty sure it will be okay.....!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Marty790 View Post
Just bought from Rockauto front brake pads "Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic brake pads". Received them today. Installed them today, seems to be ok. I will see as time goes by if it still squeal, to be honest, i am pretty sure it will be okay.....!
just ok? Any sound whatsoever? Brake feel? Squeal at all? Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

just ok? Any sound whatsoever? Brake feel? Squeal at all? Thanks
Just ok because just made a 5-10 min road test and put my car in the garage after. Zero squeal during the road test, brake feel seems the same as before, seems to be more smooth. But I will wait a couple hundreds miles for the brake pads to "beak in" and to match with my existing rotors
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Just ok because just made a 5-10 min road test and put my car in the garage after. Zero squeal during the road test, brake feel seems the same as before, seems to be more smooth. But I will wait a couple hundreds miles for the brake pads to "beak in" and to match with my existing rotors
Thanks for additional info. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Had Acura replace pads + rotors on all 4 corners, and now that the temperature has finally dropped to consistent 30F, the squeal is back. Going to look into replacing with aftermarket at this point.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fr4c View Post
Had Acura replace pads + rotors on all 4 corners, and now that the temperature has finally dropped to consistent 30F, the squeal is back. Going to look into replacing with aftermarket at this point.
Yeah. Had read that Acura had replaced pads on vehicles of other poster(s), which didnít solve the issue. Assumed it was the OEM pads causing the issue. Figured I wouldnít bother with Acura and went straight to aftermarket.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread, but for those that have swapped pads, what are the nuts/bolts sizes that we are dealing with? Any torx? Do you know the torque rating for the caliper bracket for the 19 RDX? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread, but for those that have swapped pads, what are the nuts/bolts sizes that we are dealing with? Any torx? Do you know the torque rating for the caliper bracket for the 19 RDX? Thanks!
14 mm or 9/16 bolts (2 per caliper) are the only bolts you have to deal with (apart the wheel 5 nuts, 19mm)
Don't have any idea of the torque rating...
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

14 mm or 9/16 bolts (2 per caliper) are the only bolts you have to deal with (apart the wheel 5 nuts, 19mm)
Don't have any idea of the torque rating...
Awesome. Thanks. So you left the Caliper Bracket attached to the Hub? I guess I might be able to clean up the rotors with brake cleaner and shop towels without taking off the bracket and save myself some extra time.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Awesome. Thanks. So you left the Caliper Bracket attached to the Hub? I guess I might be able to clean up the rotors with brake cleaner and shop towels without taking off the bracket and save myself some extra time.
Honda/Acuras are easy to work on. I'm guessing much easier than the Audi you came. Get a metric mechanic socket set and you can pretty much replace anything lol
Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, it's really simple. Just remove the 2 bolts, the caliper come off, and remove the pads. Put some anti seize grease where the pads travel on the braket and in the back of each pad and reassemble. I also had to push back the 2 pistons on each caliper because the new pads are a little bit thickier and did not fit with the piston at the same place.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, it's really simple. Just remove the 2 bolts, the caliper come off, and remove the pads. Put some anti seize grease where the pads travel on the braket and in the back of each pad and reassemble. I also had to push back the 2 pistons on each caliper because the new pads are a little bit thickier and did not fit with the piston at the same place.
Roger that! I'm just so used to taking off the bracket as well to remove the rotors. Didn't even think about leaving it on and cleaning up the rotors around the bracket. Ha. Appreciate the follow-up.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had my front rotors and pads replaced under warranty. It was not changed due to squealing but because the rotors were resurfaced by another dealer when I complained about vibration with braking at high speeds. Since resurfacing did not solve the problem and reduced braking power, I called acura client relations and they suggested getting it checked at local dealer. Local dealer showed me a tsb which clearly stated not to resurface rotors and replace them under warranty. So I had to work with acura client relations to get approved for replacement rotors. They were good to deal with. Finally with new front rotors and pads there are no vibrations while braking at high speeds. Braking has also improved significantly. I have NOT heard any squealing from the new front ones yet. But back ones do squeal. I informed acura client realtions on their follow up call about squealing and they said engineers are still looking into it. New rotors look the same as old ones but the calipers look different. Basically closer to wheel and probably bigger than the old ones and I confirmed that part number for pads is also the updated one. I have driven about 50 miles after replacement, so far so good (knock on wood). Will update with my observation after some more miles.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I am in So Cal and I left the RDX there for checking on infotainment issue (I have 1.0.7 already), interior rattling noise, and the squeaky brakes. Like other have stated, the Service Adviser told me that they are aware of the brake noise issue and waiting for solution. THE ROTORS CANNOT BE RESURFACE, so the possible solution would be to replace the pads or both the pads and the rotors.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Yeah getting rotors resurfaced on a brand new car, even if these were able to be machined would bother me. They are reducing the life of your rotors on a brand new car. To add insult to injury, it didn't even solve the problem.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

300 mile update...still no squealing not even a peep. For me the second biggest reason to change the pads is the pad feel now. One trip to my sisters house in Connecticut and a few stops at highway speeds(75+) and i felt as if I was going to crash into the car in front of me, the pads just faded. Never used Wagner pads before but they were well worth the $60 shipped. Not sure why Acura has such a problem resolving this.
The following 4 users liked this post by Stclark13:
97ws6 (02-27-2019), Audi2Acura (01-13-2019), skarface (01-13-2019), subin (01-13-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stclark13 View Post
300 mile update...still no squealing not even a peep. For me the second biggest reason to change the pads is the pad feel now. One trip to my sisters house in Connecticut and a few stops at highway speeds(75+) and i felt as if I was going to crash into the car in front of me, the pads just faded. Never used Wagner pads before but they were well worth the $60 shipped. Not sure why Acura has such a problem resolving this.
Great to hear. Did you get the Thermoquiets or the Regular Wagners? Iím hoping the Centric Posi-Quiets offer the same results. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Thermo-quiet ceramics. My local advance auto parts only stocked the fronts but not the rears. I suppose if you get the part number from rock auto they could probably order them. Price was about the same as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

For those that are interested, here are the brake system torque specs for the 2019 RDX. Local stealership printed it out for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Audi2Acura:
Duna (05-15-2019), subin (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Awesome thanks!!! I wonder how many techs actually follow torque specs, whenever I do my own work I follow them to a T
For those that are interested, here are the brake system torque specs for the 2019 RDX. Local stealership printed it out for me.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Same issue here on my 2019 SH-AWD Technology Package. Mostly low speeds and when cold.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi2Acura, could you please tell me what your sheet says the torque spec is on the wheel lug nuts? My dealership told me 100lbs but have also heard 80lbs here on the forum. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Leaf 68 View Post

Audi2Acura, could you please tell me what your sheet says the torque spec is on the wheel lug nuts? My dealership told me 100lbs but have also heard 80lbs here on the forum. Thanks!
Donít have the sheet with me, but page 584 of the FULL Manual (see link below), not the user guide, says 80 lbs.ft. Not surprising they told you a different number. Thereís pretty much zero accuracy and attention to detail anymore, anywhere. In fact, when I stopped in to get the info (after nobody called me back for a few days) one service rep spent 15 min talking to a mechanic in the garage trying to get the info for me. Meanwhile, I started chatting with a another rep. He pulled it up in less than 30 seconds. When the other guy eventually returned he promptly said the dealership doesnít have the info yet (which means at least one mechanic couldnít locate it). Rather disconcerting if you ask me! Ha.

(PDF online here):

http://owners.acura.com/vehicle-information/manuals?year=2019&model=RDX

Old 01-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
The brake squeal is definitely louder as it gets colder. It’s single digits today with wind chills 15-20 below zero. It’s louder and takes a longer drive to
have the squeal stop. Can’t wait for Acura to have a fix as it’s annoying to have a brand new Acura squealing like a 20 year old car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake squealing

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.