Brake squealing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Brake squealing

I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that
The following 4 users liked this post by nyr726:
DrMTF (09-10-2020), JRDNBYR007 (11-10-2019), sdonnelly691 (06-27-2021), Tess Schneiderman (02-14-2020)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:00 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nyr726
I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that
Every car no matter how high end or low end will have break squeal in cold/damp/wet conditions it’s just the laws of physics and it’s hard to escape that.

See examples here:The cure really is to warm up the brakes with some braking and it’ll go away after a few minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Hale (12-20-2019)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:27 AM
Intermediate

I appreciate the feed back I'm well aware that it goes away after the brakes warm up and as far as the reply that all card do this in the cold and damp weather conditions it's simply not true over never owned a vehicle that did this and I've lived in new York my whole life avain i appreciate the feed back I wish there was a way to post a video to this thread of how bad and loud the brake squeal actually is maybe u wohld understand my frustration
The following 3 users liked this post by nyr726:
DrMTF (09-10-2020), jjacke (11-25-2018), SandwichViking (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Brake squealing

I've read a lot of threads on the 2019 RDX brake squealing in cold and wet weather I'm curious as to why nobody finds this as annoying as I do in a brand new high end vehicle is it the fact that the people saying dont worry about it live in a warmer climate to me it has become so bad that I'm questioning whether I made the right move buying this vehicle I always said Acura was the best running car I ever had until now I've tried to get the problem fixed and the dealership claimed there is no fix for it that it's under investigation which I'm sorry there's always a way to fix something anyone else having a concern on this topic please respond ive gone as far as contacting customer relations and still not getting anywhere with that I know people say let the brakes warm up and the squealing should stop but I've had plenty of new vehicles and never had this issue
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
My brakes were pretty squeaky too, my dealer agreed with me and replaced the front pads and greased some stuff and it seems to be fine now, I don’t think they actually replaced the rotors, just the front pads, mine only squeaked when first driving but I agree a 50k car shouldn’t be squeaking this bad

Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dereileak
My brakes were pretty squeaky too, my dealer agreed with me and replaced the front pads and greased some stuff and it seems to be fine now, I don’t think they actually replaced the rotors, just the front pads, mine only squeaked when first driving but I agree a 50k car shouldn’t be squeaking this bad

thanks so much for the feedback my dealership is telling me this is something that acura is investigating and that there is no fix for this issue right now i even reached out to customer relations for this issue and they have not given me an answer as of today what the next step is i have a 2019 aspec model which do you have that the squeaking was happening ?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks so much for the feedback my dealership is telling me this is something that acura is investigating and that there is no fix for this issue right now i even reached out to customer relations for this issue and they have not given me an answer as of today what the next step is i have a 2019 aspec model which do you have that the squeaking was happening ?
mine is the 19 aspec in apex blue, built in late September, idk if the brake pads are a perminate fix, I have had it for a few days without issues but the problem may come back, hopefully not
Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

i hope it works out for you one more question was it happening in the cold and damp weather or all the time
Old 11-03-2018, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

i hope it works out for you one more question was it happening in the cold and damp weather or all the time
mine was just every morning when I started driving it and it would go away after driving for about 5-10 minutes I would say, it has been kinda cold out lately but it would happen really regardless
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A slight squeal when the rotors/pads are cold and or wet is one thing, I know what that sounds like after owning 6 other vehicles from all different manufacturers. None of those cars have ever made a squeal this loud and prominent. This brake squeal that some of us are experiencing is not what I consider normal, and the closest thing I can compare it to is when the pads start eating into the wear indicator. In fact the other day on my way to work I'm pretty sure my brake squeal was louder than the public bus next to me.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Believe I read in another thread from a user up in Canada that Acura/Honda is working on a TSB for it. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. You're lucky the dealership replaced your pads; all my dealer did was remove, grease, and sand down my rotors claiming the noise was normal. Granted this was a few months ago when the weather was warm so the brake squeal was not as loud as it is now that the weather is in the 40-50's. Let me know if the brake pad replacement resolved the noise for you.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I've owned and maintained about 10 cars in my life (a mix of used and new) and I have never had squealing brakes. I have driven a friends care that squealed, so I know what it sounds like. Here's a interesting example, I own a 97 BMW M3, my friends car that squealed was a 95 BMW M3, stock brakes use the same p/n's. The difference between our cars is that the stock pads are semi-metallic and contain graphite which causes unwashed BMWs to have nasty black brake dust on the wheels. My friend switched to ceramic pads with low dust that was whitish. The aftermarket pads did not come with anti-squeal brake shims so he used a spray on rubbery "stop squeal" when he replace his stock pads. After 6 months he replaced those aftermarket pads with stock pads - no squeal. The stock pads have the anti-squeal shims (thin metal plates covered with a rubbery coating). My other car is a 2002 Lexus RX300 and I replaced the pads with Akebono ceramic pads that come with a high temp grease to be used on the pad to caliper interface to prevent squeal. These pads don't squeal, but when wet, the grab like crazy until dry - the first time I drove in the rain, I though I was going through the windshield if not for my seat belt.

My guess is that either the brake/pad system was not well designed (I wouldn't have believed this, but I've seen other threads that say that previous Acura models, cars and SUVs had brake noise problems), the pads where installed incorrectly, the pads are defective, the new brakes were not properly bedded, or the discs are glazed/warped. The most common cause of brake squeal is a high frequency vibration of the brake pad where it is clamped by the caliper - hence anti-squeal shims being coated with a high temp rubbery coating.

My $0.02
subin (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I talked to the service department about brake noise. They said that they did hear it on mine, and that they have a TSB for brake noise, but it only applies after 3,000 miles. If your car is still new, they'll tell you to come back later.
subin (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ackmonal
I talked to the service department about brake noise. They said that they did hear it on mine, and that they have a TSB for brake noise, but it only applies after 3,000 miles. If your car is still new, they'll tell you to come back later.
Do you happen to know the TSB number?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

brake squealing

not sure as to why your dealership is misinforming on the vehicle having to be over 3000 miles to be eligible for a fix while there waiting on a tsb I reached out to Acura customer relations and explained my problem with this they called the dealer and told them to replace the rotors and break pads I will keep you posted on how this works out
Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

I've reached out to Acura Relationships and will be dropping the vehicle off back at the dealer for them to look at the issue. Will update on this issue as I have more information.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Same brake issue with my A Spec. I also have a high pitch pulsating sound when I hit the brakes a little harder than usual.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

They are replacing all 4 corners (rotors + pads) per my Acura rep that I was working with. Funny thing is, my loaner A-Spec squeals as well, just not as much and goes away much quickly. So I have a feeling unless they update the parts number for the pads and/or rotors, the current version all make noises to a degree.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine started squealing today morning (it rained whole day yesterday and night temp was around 45 F). It went away after 5 minutes of driving in stop and go traffic with continous braking. I have 900 miles on mine, have it for 2 weeks. Wondering if it is ok for new brakes to squeal.

I also faced another issue with brakes. Vibration was felt when braking downhill to slowdown on freeway. Grade was around 8%. Vibration was felt in steering and seats. I have started a separate thread for that. Will get the brakes checked at my dealer once I complete 1000 miles. They asked to wait till I complete 1000 miles. Below is link to the thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/vibration-when-braking-downhill-freeway-974847/

Last edited by JustAnotherOne; 11-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I too have been getting brake squealing with the colder temps, it is annoying, and if it continues, I will have it looked at. I have not had squealing brakes on any of my previous cars, and it is annoying on a 45k vehicle. Brakes are a weak link on this vehicle, definitely one of my least favorite things about this vehicle.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I live in Seattle, WA. Current temps have been around upper 30s - 50s fahrenheit; fairly moist / wet.

I'm not seeing brake squealing on mine. My car was built late August and got it in September.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OliveBread
I live in Seattle, WA. Current temps have been around upper 30s - 50s fahrenheit; fairly moist / wet.

I'm not seeing brake squealing on mine. My car was built late August and got it in September.
Mine was built in Oct. I hear the squealing only with windows down and only in morning with the first start.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Just got my car back from the dealership, replace all 4 rotors and pads. Will test it out in the next couple of days to see if the issue is resolved, initial feedback is no noise when I pulled out of the dealership.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

brake squealing update

brought mine in today they replaced both the rotors and the pads to early to tell if it solved this issue fingers crossed
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ha ha, a recurring theme from Acura dealers: "That's normal, they are ALL like that"
Alissa Jenson (08-04-2019)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
Mine started to squeal the past few days early in the morning for the first couple mins of braking. It is annoying that a brand new Acura brake squeals like an older model car.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Instructor

brought mine in today they replaced both the rotors and the pads to early to tell if it solved this issue fingers crossed
Did the dealer agree to replace by themselves or you had to call acura?
Also did they find any issue with brakes as such?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by fr4c
A slight squeal when the rotors/pads are cold and or wet is one thing, I know what that sounds like after owning 6 other vehicles from all different manufacturers. None of those cars have ever made a squeal this loud and prominent. This brake squeal that some of us are experiencing is not what I consider normal, and the closest thing I can compare it to is when the pads start eating into the wear indicator. In fact the other day on my way to work I'm pretty sure my brake squeal was louder than the public bus next to me.
I heard this same sound with my Aspec RDX yesterday in Wisconsin. It sounds like the “squeal indicator” that most pads have that you shouldn’t hear until the pads are fairly low on life.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I had a couple squeaks today. Car was cold and had been sitting for a week while I was in Florida. Only did it for a second and went away after a few stops.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I wonder if this could be related...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ho...-recall-brakes

The 2016 and 2018–2019 Honda HR-V, 2017–2019 Acura MDX, and 2018–2019 Honda Odyssey minivan are affected, including those that may have replacement brake parts from a prior service. Hydrogen gas may become trapped in the brake lines due to "insufficient coating" of the rear brake calipers, Honda said. When bubbles form in the brake fluid, the hydraulic circuit becomes compromised. Under braking, pressure in the line compresses the gas and decreases the force of fluid rushing to the calipers, which causes the pedal to feel soft and can reduce stopping power.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Zero brake noise, hot-cold-wet-dry---for me.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jonarogers
I wonder if this could be related...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ho...-recall-brakes
I doubt it, the car brakes great. I think honestly it has to do with the pad type they use, mine squeal for about the first 2 brakes, sometimes only the first, and then it goes away, I think it has do to with the pads needing to heat up a bit, also thinking about it these pads were never truly broken in. I was reading a lot of audis have the same issue due to the high performance brakes they use.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Maybe you guys should also include whether your car is garaged overnight or left out in the driveway.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I doubt it, the car brakes great. I think honestly it has to do with the pad type they use, mine squeal for about the first 2 brakes, sometimes only the first, and then it goes away, I think it has do to with the pads needing to heat up a bit, also thinking about it these pads were never truly broken in. I was reading a lot of audis have the same issue due to the high performance brakes they use.
My 2016 ILX has a break squeal problem too. They were replaced under warranty after Acura issued a TSB. Apparently the materials were not great in the originals. Never made a peep after I had them changed. (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-004.PDF)
Hoping the same will come eventually for the RDX.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Maybe you guys should also include whether your car is garaged overnight or left out in the driveway.
I park in the garage and still have brake squeal.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

break squealing

update it's been about a week since I've had my rotors and pads replaced and I hate to say that they are still squealing not as bad as the previous set but still a slight squeal very dishearting that Acura can not fix this problem any suggestions I don't see just living with the slight squeal is an option at this point
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Njbrandon
Same brake issue with my A Spec. I also have a high pitch pulsating sound when I hit the brakes a little harder than usual.
I had the same issue alongwith slight squealing in mornings. Felt vibrations in steering and seats when braking at highway speeds going downhill. Dealer inspected and found both front rotors had excessive run out. So they resurfaced the rotors and it feels better now. I know brand new rotors should not need resurfacing but they mentioned they found it many new cars and even some the replacement rotors so they suggested resurfacing instead of replacement. I will monitor these for a while and if the issue still persists I will open a case with acura directly.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I brought mine in to the dealership for an oil change I mentioned the brake squealing and the service manager said they had been notified about it and changed out the brakes for me. I still hear some squeaks, but not nearly as bad as it was before they were changed out.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
No brake squeal here so far. But it's been out in the rain only once and was parked for a couple hours in the rain too. I got mine in October.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I’m experiencing the brake squeal pretty badly lately. I’m at 3,700 miles and haven’t had the need for an oil change yet so haven’t done anything about it. I’m in upstate NY and it’s been very cold lately with the squeal getting worse and I don’t think cold weather is any excuse for brakes squealing in a $44,000 car. I had a 2017 RDX previously and at 1,200 miles had rotors replaced under warranty due to excessive squealing. At this point, I’m thinking it’s the brakes Acura uses.

Quick Reply: Brake squealing