AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/)
-   -   2019 RDX Suspension Travel Noise - Front Left (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-problems-fixes-458/2019-rdx-suspension-travel-noise-front-left-975813/)

wnally 12-20-2018 06:45 PM

2019 RDX Suspension Travel Noise - Front Left

Vehicle: 2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD with Technology Package
Miles: Approx. 1000
We noticed front end "suspension travel noise" going over speed bumps at approx. 7 miles per hour. The dealer replaced faulty (noisy) left front strut - the noise has not changed. The dealer stated that this noise is normal for this vehicle. The noise is similar to the noise an older car would make, sounds like a good lubrication is needed, however the dealer has performed lubrication as well.

We don't believe this is a normal sound this vehicle should make.
Please let me know if your RDX makes any suspension travel noises over speed bumps.

Thank You

MarineOne 12-20-2018 08:09 PM

I would say your dealer is full of shit.

cm2021 12-20-2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by wnally (Post 16353922)
We noticed front end "suspension travel noise" going over speed bumps at approx. 7 miles per hour. The dealer replaced faulty (noisy) left front strut - the noise has not changed. The dealer stated that this noise is normal for this vehicle. The noise is similar to the noise an older car would make, sounds like a good lubrication is needed, however the dealer has performed lubrication as well.

Please let me know if your RDX makes any suspension travel noises over speed bumps.

Thank You

Yes, my car makes suspension noise over speed bumps. I started noticing about three months after purchasing the car. There is also what sounds like a pop from the rear passenger side of the car when turning into certain driveways.

MI-RDX 12-21-2018 08:10 AM

Nothing like that in mine that I'm aware of.

wnally 12-22-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by cm2021 (Post 16353995)
Yes, my car makes suspension noise over speed bumps. I started noticing about three months after purchasing the car. There is also what sounds like a pop from the rear passenger side of the car when turning into certain driveways.

Thanks for the response, have you discussed the suspension noise with the dealer?

Sue Slade Gracie 12-22-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wnally (Post 16353922)

Thank You

same here, front drivers side sounds squeaky over speed bumps. Almost like an old bed! Lol
Just got it back from the dealer , they say they cant hear it. Also squeeky breaks which they told me is a known problem and a fix is coming out soon. I had 2019 rdx as a loaner Nd it had squeeky breaks too.

wnally 12-22-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sue Slade Gracie (Post 16354648)
same here, front drivers side sounds squeaky over speed bumps. Almost like an old bed! Lol
Just got it back from the dealer , they say they cant hear it. Also squeeky breaks which they told me is a known problem and a fix is coming out soon. I had 2019 rdx as a loaner Nd it had squeeky breaks too.

Thanks for the reply - I called Acura [https://www.acura.com/contact-us] and filed a complaint for "suspension travel noise", documented in Case-09202853
Acura stated that there will be no action taken at this time, currently Acura does not have a Service Bulletin / Recall against this issue.

ssacuraho 12-23-2018 10:09 PM

My suspension is also creaky - particularly over speed bumps and in the cold. "Like an old bed" is an apt description. But mine is coming from the rear - possibly just the left hand side. My 10-year-old CRV never made these creaks. Not impressed, but not yet fussed enough to take it to the dealer just for that.

Dereileak 12-24-2018 08:52 AM

Mine just started today, it’s the coldest day it’s been this year, 15 degrees F, and when I go over a bump it sounds like an old squeaky bed in my front left and sometimes my front right, this freaking blows, it sounds like I’m driving a 1980s Cadillac with blown shocks, being that it has started in cold weather and some reading I have been doing, and from the poster up above saying replacing the strut didn’t work, I think it’s the control arm bushings probably, are other people’s happening in cold weather or all?

cm2021 12-25-2018 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16355131)
Mine just started today, it’s the coldest day it’s been this year, 15 degrees F, and when I go over a bump it sounds like an old squeaky bed in my front left and sometimes my front right, this freaking blows, it sounds like I’m driving a 1980s Cadillac with blown shocks, being that it has started in cold weather and some reading I have been doing, and from the poster up above saying replacing the strut didn’t work, I think it’s the control arm bushings probably, are other people’s happening in cold weather or all?

Happens in cold weather for me. After the So-Cal summer.

wnally 12-25-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by cm2021 (Post 16355316)
Happens in cold weather for me. After the So-Cal summer.

Yes as the temperature drops the noise increases. We have noticed the noise in the 40's and below.

Dereileak 12-25-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by wnally (Post 16355357)
Yes as the temperature drops the noise increases. We have noticed the noise in the 40's and below.

I’m almost certain it’s the control arm bushings

wnally 12-26-2018 07:47 AM

Thanks for the reply - So what do you think 1) the control arm bushings are a rubber material and are making a noise when flexed due to cold weather and we have to live with it, or 2) the bushings are defective/not installed correctly and Acura should fix?

wnally 12-26-2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dereileak (Post 16355450)

I’m almost certain it’s the control arm bushings

Thanks for the reply - So what do you think 1) the control arm bushings are a rubber material and are making a noise when flexed due to cold weather and we have to live with it, or 2) the bushings are defective/not installed correctly and Acura should fix?

FrankZZR 01-10-2019 09:09 PM

Mine started making the front suspension noise two days after deliver. Dealer contacted Acura who told them to install new lower control arms. We shall see.....

rgoldd 01-11-2019 08:34 PM

A-Spec SH-AWD here is doing this as well over speed bumps at about 5mph big clunks from front end.

JustAnotherOne 01-12-2019 12:01 PM

I also started hearing creaking noise on my tech awd rdx when the temperature dropped below 50. I can hear it from both front left or right randomly going over speed bumps. Will open a case with acura soon just to document it for now as it is not reproducible consistently.

yungte yang 01-14-2019 11:46 AM

Acura base, 1 month old, started to make same noise 2 weeks ago. What a quality!!

Leaf 68 01-14-2019 12:22 PM

This is not normal..I have been driving my A-Spec in sub freezing temperatures around 15F for the last week now and have not noticed any suspension noises. I had a similar noise on my '15 Cadillac ATS just after I bought it. It was the control arm bushing and GM replaced it after I went with the Tech to re-create the noise going over a speed bump.

jeh1982 01-18-2019 02:59 PM

Mine is also doing this front and back, seems to be temperature dependent. Also if I take it for a car wash it will go away for about a week and it comes back.

Monster_HK 01-20-2019 06:20 PM

Mine has the suspension noise too when running over a speed bump. Anyone fgot it fixed yet? I also have the brake squealing noise which was told Acura is aware of the brake squealing but no fix yet.
My car currently is at the dealership and waiting for their call.

Monster_HK 01-21-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Monster_HK (Post 16368634)
Mine has the suspension noise too when running over a speed bump. Anyone fgot it fixed yet? I also have the brake squealing noise which was told Acura is aware of the brake squealing but no fix yet.
My car currently is at the dealership and waiting for their call.

btw they gave me a loaner, 2018 TLX, no neither break squealing nor suspension noise. I test drove my gf's corolla and camry and used to own a 2002 TL & 2013 accord, all of the cars don't have these kinds of noise neither.

lmath73 01-22-2019 03:51 PM

2019 RDX A-spec

Just took our 2019 RDX back in today for the second time due to the brake squeal and the exact suspension noise that is mentioned in this thread. Regarding the brake noise, I was told that Acura is aware of this problem and working on a fix. Originally, they had recommended replacing the rotors and brake pads, but my service department stated that they have done that, only to have the noise return. Therefore, they are no longer making that recommendations to Acura Service departments. They stated that there is nothing they can do at this time. They projected that it would be within 3 months that a solution would be found. I was told that this is a problem with the A-spec line, which is what I have.

I have had my RDX in about a month ago for both. They tighten some arm (I'm not car savvy) and it went away..... for two days. They aren't doing anything for the brakes due to above but kept it there for the suspension issue. Will update.

Monster_HK 01-22-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lmath73 (Post 16369783)
Just took our 2019 RDX back in today for the second time due to the brake squeal and the exact suspension noise that is mentioned in this thread. Regarding the brake noise, I was told that Acura is aware of this problem and working on a fix. Originally, they had recommended replacing the rotors and brake pads, but my service department stated that they have done that, only to have the noise return. Therefore, they are no longer making that recommendations to Acura Service departments. They stated that there is nothing they can do at this time. They projected that it would be within 3 months that a solution would be found. I was told that this is a problem with the A-spec line, which is what I have.

I have had my RDX in about a month ago for both. They tighten some arm (I'm not car savvy) and it went away..... for two days. They aren't doing anything for the brakes due to above but kept it there for the suspension issue. Will update.

Did you go to Rallye Acura lol? Exactly what they told me. They are waiting for Acura to issue Brake squealing TSB. For the suspension noise, they tighten something, but the car is still making noise.

lmath73 01-22-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Monster_HK (Post 16369785)
Did you go to Rallye Acura lol? Exactly what they told me. They are waiting for Acura to issue Brake squealing TSB. For the suspension noise, they tighten something, but the car is still making noise.

I'm in Iowa but that is exactly what they told me. I looked at my last service slip and they tightened the "control" arm. It was awesome to have a quiet ride for a couple days. Depending on the outcome tomorrow, I may follow the advice of a previous poster and file a complaint.

Monster_HK 01-22-2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by lmath73 (Post 16369852)
I'm in Iowa but that is exactly what they told me. I looked at my last service slip and they tightened the "control" arm. It was awesome to have a quiet ride for a couple days. Depending on the outcome tomorrow, I may follow the advice of a previous poster and file a complaint.

How to file a complaint?

Rob175 01-23-2019 08:02 AM

All I can say is: "thank you beta testers"....you've saved me almost $50,000.

Monster_HK 01-23-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 16369991)
All I can say is: "thank you beta testers"....you've saved me almost $50,000.

Every new car possibly comes with some minor problems. You should buy toyota/lexus to minimize the possibility of new car problems.

lmath73 01-23-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monster_HK (Post 16369906)
How to file a complaint?

I saw that a previous post, someone stated they filed a complaint with Acura. Acura is going to replace the lower control arms, but they are on back order. They are hoping to have a fix for the brake squeal by the time the parts come in. Despite the issues, I wouldn't trade my car for any other one.

ckcy 02-01-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by lmath73 (Post 16370463)
I saw that a previous post, someone stated they filed a complaint with Acura. Acura is going to replace the lower control arms, but they are on back order. They are hoping to have a fix for the brake squeal by the time the parts come in. Despite the issues, I wouldn't trade my car for any other one.

Same issue here. Leased a brand new 2019 RDX less than a month ago. Noticed that when temps are below 40 degrees F, suspension makes squeeky noises like a 20-yr old car. Took it to the dealership (on a sub-zero temp day) who acknowledged the problem, and said that "Acura is aware of it" and "it's due to a faulty rear suspension control arm, in vehicles in colder climates". Dealership will replace when part arrives-also told it's back-ordered. Frustrating to get a high-end vehicle with solid reliability reputation.

FrankZZR 02-01-2019 03:36 PM

Interesting that you say rear control arms. My dealer ordered FRONT control arms because that is where the noise is coming from.

ckcy 02-01-2019 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by FrankZZR (Post 16375779)
Interesting that you say rear control arms. My dealer ordered FRONT control arms because that is where the noise is coming from.

Hmmm, in mine it appears to come from the rear (though I can't be sure). Hope they know what they're doing and not have to take back for front control arm as well.

Dereileak 02-01-2019 05:27 PM

This is an odd problem, mine did it for like a month whenever it was cold, and then it just quit, I don’t hear it at all. It’s 13f right now and no problems, and earlier in the week it was -29f with no problems. I do get about 3-5 car washes a week, and did read another person saying car washes made his problem go away temporarily so could be related.

Ellydogns 02-05-2019 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Monster_HK (Post 16370033)
.......... You should buy toyota/lexus to minimize the possibility of new car problems.

I will disagree with this. My previous SUV was a 2016 Lexus RX350. It was at the dealership 6 times in 3 months for various issues (hissing AC, malfunctioning heated seats, hesitation on acceleration, vacuum pump knock, rain sensing wipers stopped working and a frozen nav system). It was the most expensive and the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Ellydogns 02-05-2019 06:23 AM

Mine did the squeak over bumps as well. It lasted about week, then went away on its own. It currently has 2800kms on it.

Dereileak 02-05-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ellydogns (Post 16377395)
Mine did the squeak over bumps as well. It lasted about week, then went away on its own. It currently has 2800kms on it.

mine squeeked on and off for a few weeks when it got cold also, sounded a like an old matress but from what I can tell it has resolved itself and I no longer hear anything even when it gets cold, and it was recently -29F here before windchill. Mine would normally start when it was below 20 and it’s been in the 0-15F range every day for the last few weeks, must of finally broke in

ssacuraho 02-05-2019 10:06 AM

Yeah, I haven't noticed mine squeak in a while, and it was mighty cold recently.

FrankZZR 02-05-2019 10:30 AM

I found that mine is louder when it was -10C. Now that it has dipped to -30, it seems quieter. Dealer called me this morning to inform me the control arms are in. Scheduled for next Tues. We shall see what happens.

wnally 02-09-2019 09:56 AM

We dropped the 2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD for a 2nd service for the "suspension travel noise". At this service our dealer stated that a regional Acura service manager was present and tested several vehicles from the lot and stated that all vehicles make same noise and this is normal. I returned several days later unannounced, requested and picked a vehicle off the lot and drove vehicle with dealer service rep and tech, vehicle did not make noise. I then drove our vehicle with service rep and tech and demonstrated noise - service acknowledged. They ordered and replaced the RT and LT Front Lower Control Arms at 3rd service: factory items 51360-TJB-A04 and 51350-TJB-A04, they had the car for three days and gave us an identical loaner, the loaner made the same noise. So far our vehicle is clean over speed bumps in northeast temperatures, we haven't driven her a lot. I spoke to Service and they basically re-installed new factory items, so presently the fix could be to install these factory items with precision (the Acura motto!).

Dereileak 02-09-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by wnally (Post 16380154)
We dropped the 2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD for a 2nd service for the "suspension travel noise". At this service our dealer stated that a regional Acura service manager was present and tested several vehicles from the lot and stated that all vehicles make same noise and this is normal. I returned several days later unannounced, requested and picked a vehicle off the lot and drove vehicle with dealer service rep and tech, vehicle did not make noise. I then drove our vehicle with service rep and tech and demonstrated noise - service acknowledged. They ordered and replaced the RT and LT Front Lower Control Arms at 3rd service: factory items 51360-TJB-A04 and 51350-TJB-A04, they had the car for three days and gave us an identical loaner, the loaner made the same noise. So far our vehicle is clean over speed bumps in northeast temperatures, we haven't driven her a lot. I spoke to Service and they basically re-installed new factory items, so presently the fix could be to install these factory items with precision (the Acura motto!).

they just replaced mine for this noise also, mine had gotten quieter recently but they said another car they had had this issue and the fix was to replace the lower control arms for the front so just went ahead and did mine, only had it for a day but so far so good