2021 RDX SH-AWD Tech stalls

Old 02-26-2021, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 RDX SH-AWD Tech stalls

1148 miles on 2021 RDX. Intermittently stalls for a second or less when I accelerate slowly from a stop or slowly accelerate while turning a low speed neighborhood corner.
It’s like the engine looses all power momentarily. Way more of a stall than if you just let off the gas. Last for maybe a second.
I have not contacted dealer yet. Researching to see if it is a prevalent issue that Acura has a solution for.
it is not the issue where car goes into limp mode.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Never heard of this issue, seems unique. If you can reproduce it, go to the dealer.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Auto idle stop??????
Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake Hold Issue?

Originally Posted by russianDude
Never heard of this issue, seems unique. If you can reproduce it, go to the dealer.
Hi I could use your assistance Russian dude.
I noticed a problem or what I think is a problem with my RDX ASpec.

If you put your display into showing the 4 wheel mode Tire traction display.
And you put your foot on the brake, do all of your blue lights go out?

Then set the brake hold and let your foot off of the brake do you get 1 blue bar each on all 4 wheels?

Old 03-02-2021, 06:20 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
That’s normal for that screen. It’s showing you a graphic representation of how much power is being applied to each wheel.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Yep, seems to be normal for the awd screen
Old 03-02-2021, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
With your brake hold on it should be off.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Auto idle stop??????
Auto idle stop works perfectly.
It stalls after starting from a stop or almost stopped. Seems to be when transmission is shifting in lower gears.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
it seems to be an issue with RDX’s from around 2016 through 2020. Class action suits etc.
I am trying to find out if others have the issue with 2021 rdx’s. I do. I am not aware of Acura having a fix for the issue.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wlcdrifter
it seems to be an issue with RDX’s from around 2016 through 2020. Class action suits etc.
I am trying to find out if others have the issue with 2021 rdx’s. I do. I am not aware of Acura having a fix for the issue.

what are you talking about, there is no mass issue with “stalls”, go to dealer already and have it fixed
The following 4 users liked this post by russianDude:
amcobra (04-08-2021), catbert430 (04-09-2021), GW208 (04-09-2021), NBPDC505 (04-08-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wlcdrifter
I have a 2021 RDX and I do not feel safe pulling out in front of fast cars to move past a slow vehicle because I too have experienced a second or two of stalling after pressing the gas if I’m at a complete a stop. I have worked around it’ and just know not to come to a complete stop (if I can) if I need to switch lanes in traffic. Otherwise I will not try to move around a slow vehicle when other cars are going fast. The RDX to be has no pickup at all. I will say it forces me to drive safely and just be patient but it would certainly suck if I needed the car to move out the way fast to prevent someone from hitting me. I think it’s the transmission personally because I had transmission problems with other vehicles in the also and it just feels like a transmission issue from my experience.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 416 Posts
Are we talking about stalling, or delay from pedal input? Those are two very different things. I'll sometimes get throttle lag, but it's not terrible, and most of the time it's perfectly fine. I certainly never feel "unsafe" driving the car. Are you driving in Comfort or Sport?
Old 07-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Are we talking about stalling, or delay from pedal input? Those are two very different things. I'll sometimes get throttle lag, but it's not terrible, and most of the time it's perfectly fine. I certainly never feel "unsafe" driving the car. Are you driving in Comfort or Sport?
Maybe it’s the throttle lag. I will press on gas if I’m at a complete stop and it doesn’t move as fast as I would like in the beginning. It takes a second to move. I also can feel the gears shifting a lot so it’s a little jerky at times. I guess you’re right, it’s not really stalling I guess. Once it moves it’s good.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you getting a "Warning AWD" Error that indicates an All Wheel Drive System Problem with the lack of acceleration? I had been experiencing the lack of acceleration effect with the Warning AWD message illuminating when accelerating from a stop, or slow roll, when making lefts turns. Literally no acceleration for 10-15 seconds until it "catches up" with itself, then acceleration is fine, but then only have front wheel drive until I turn off and restart the engine to clear the error. It used to be once every week or so, but then got worse to almost a daily occurrence. Finally was able to get to the dealer with the active error code still illuminated. They read the code and it came back as "Right Rear Differential Fluid Pressure Deviation". It is at the dealership now so they can run simulations while it is hooked up to see if it is a faulty sensor, or something more with the axle/differential/clutch system.
The following users liked this post:
DMV703 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DMTXRDX
Are you getting a "Warning AWD" Error that indicates an All Wheel Drive System Problem with the lack of acceleration? I had been experiencing the lack of acceleration effect with the Warning AWD message illuminating when accelerating from a stop, or slow roll, when making lefts turns. Literally no acceleration for 10-15 seconds until it "catches up" with itself, then acceleration is fine, but then only have front wheel drive until I turn off and restart the engine to clear the error. It used to be once every week or so, but then got worse to almost a daily occurrence. Finally was able to get to the dealer with the active error code still illuminated. They read the code and it came back as "Right Rear Differential Fluid Pressure Deviation". It is at the dealership now so they can run simulations while it is hooked up to see if it is a faulty sensor, or something more with the axle/differential/clutch system.
I honestly haven’t been paying attention to any errors that may have popped up lol. I just bought this car less than 3 months ago and I used to have a 2009 Honda Accord so I’m still getting used to all this technology. I will definitely start paying attention and let you know. Good information!! Thanks! I get paranoid because as a teenager I had a 94 Hyundai and that car had serious transmission problems. Therefore, any jerky-type movement reminds me of the days I had that Hyundai when the transmission failed on me on the road. I have PTSD from that Hyundai 😂😂.

I hope your car gets fixed soon. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by DMV703
Maybe it’s the throttle lag. I will press on gas if I’m at a complete stop and it doesn’t move as fast as I would like in the beginning. It takes a second to move. I also can feel the gears shifting a lot so it’s a little jerky at times. I guess you’re right, it’s not really stalling I guess. Once it moves it’s good.
I noticed the throttle lag during the first month of ownership as well. It was most noticeable when I had been waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic to make a left turn. I would mash the pedal and RDX would just roll slowly into the oncoming lane.

I later learned that if I timed things correctly, I could lift my foot from the brake just long enough to let the tires roll about 6" before mashing the accelerator and voila, no more lag. With a little experience, this has become routine to me now.

I also find that the lag is very mild when in Sport+ mode. If you don't experience your "stalling" when in Sport+, then I think you have a lag problem and not a stalling problem.

There is another type of lag that occurs if you are following another car closely, and floor the pedal with the intent of pulling out and passing. In this case the Collision Mitigation System will apply the brakes, and reduce engine torque, in order to prevent you from hitting the vehicle in front.

That type of lag also occurs if the vehicle in front is just completing a turn and you floor it, with the knowledge that the vehicle in front will not be in your way. It seems that if the radar or camera can see just a small amount of that vehicle in front of you, it will cut engine power.
DMV703 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:04 PM
Expanse me

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DMV703
I have a 2021 RDX and I do not feel safe pulling out in front of fast cars to move past a slow vehicle because I too have experienced a second or two of stalling after pressing the gas if I’m at a complete a stop. I have worked around it’ and just know not to come to a complete stop (if I can) if I need to switch lanes in traffic. Otherwise I will not try to move around a slow vehicle when other cars are going fast. The RDX to be has no pickup at all. I will say it forces me to drive safely and just be patient but it would certainly suck if I needed the car to move out the way fast to prevent someone from hitting me. I think it’s the transmission personally because I had transmission problems with other vehicles in the also and it just feels like a transmission issue from my experience.
try tapping a paddle just before you pull out if you need no delay.
DMV703 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Funz51
try tapping a paddle just before you pull out if you need no delay.
thanks. I will try that!
Old 07-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I noticed the throttle lag during the first month of ownership as well. It was most noticeable when I had been waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic to make a left turn. I would mash the pedal and RDX would just roll slowly into the oncoming lane.

I later learned that if I timed things correctly, I could lift my foot from the brake just long enough to let the tires roll about 6" before mashing the accelerator and voila, no more lag. With a little experience, this has become routine to me now.

I also find that the lag is very mild when in Sport+ mode. If you don't experience your "stalling" when in Sport+, then I think you have a lag problem and not a stalling problem.

There is another type of lag that occurs if you are following another car closely, and floor the pedal with the intent of pulling out and passing. In this case the Collision Mitigation System will apply the brakes, and reduce engine torque, in order to prevent you from hitting the vehicle in front.

That type of lag also occurs if the vehicle in front is just completing a turn and you floor it, with the knowledge that the vehicle in front will not be in your way. It seems that if the radar or camera can see just a small amount of that vehicle in front of you, it will cut engine power.
thanks for the information. I’m learning more and more. This is very helpful!
Funz51 (07-21-2021)