2019 Infotainment System Frozen

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Does this also reset all the other user configurable settings (other than the infotainment/audio settings)? Things like the door lock setting, and automatic parking brake...as examples... etc? I may have already asked this but don't remember the answer. LOL Thanks!
It does not affect anything but the radio settings
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Thank you for this ^
Old 05-05-2019, 11:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting worse

Originally Posted by Alexis C
I just did that we will see how it works.
I won't truly know until night. This is beginning to be super frustrating.
The three button rest does nothing. On Friday it was showing the wrong time, one he behind, even though all the settings we're correct. Thy also lied about when the 2020 would be out and said not till the end of the summer, but I don't think they have fixed the problem either on the new model either.
I filled out this form and already heard back from them about a class action.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...system-defect/
securityguy (05-06-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Do you recall which menu has the factory reset option on the head unit?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bahgee
Doesn't work don't bother... They told me we don't know at the dealer
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

For those still having issues, have you performed the FULL FACTORY RESET on your head unit available through the SETTINGS menu? I did this a week or two ago as another member posted and the system is like a totally different system. Doing the three finger reset is great but it appears that it was just a band-aid. The FULL FACTORY RESET will remove your presets but it operates like a new radio. Running the latest update too. System now fully boots within 10 seconds and is fully loaded. Just throwing this out there. I think after EVERY update comes out, I am going to perform this function as a HARD RESET.
How long a go did you do a full reset and have you had any issues since then, particularly with CarPlay and/or the screen being stuck on the disclaimer and not turning off?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:12 PM
10th Gear

How long a go did you do a full reset and have you had any issues since then, particularly with CarPlay and/or the screen being stuck on the disclaimer and not turning off?
I just got the car a month ago! I shouldn't need to do that! But I'll try this is garbage. I don't have an iPhone waiting on Android Auto as promised 😂🤣🤣
Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 AM
Burning Brakes

It is in the setting...not hard to find. Been over 2-3 weeks and zero issues!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Doesn't work don't bother... They told me we don't know at the dealer
What doesn’t work???
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
For those still having issues, have you performed the FULL FACTORY RESET on your head unit available through the SETTINGS menu? I did this a week or two ago as another member posted and the system is like a totally different system. Doing the three finger reset is great but it appears that it was just a band-aid. The FULL FACTORY RESET will remove your presets but it operates like a new radio. Running the latest update too. System now fully boots within 10 seconds and is fully loaded. Just throwing this out there. I think after EVERY update comes out, I am going to perform this function as a HARD RESET.
Tried this solution last week and so far it fixed ALL my infotainment system issues except the descrpancies that occasionally occur between the navigation instructions on the screen and the HUD. System no longer takes minutes to "load" or "initlize" or fails to do either. Usually up and running by the time I leave the driveway. Amazing after all these months of constant problems. USB music works perfectly. Only took about 20 minutes to reset all my system settings and saved radio stations. Can't believe that the dealership device department never tried or suggested doing this when I brought the vehicle in with these errors.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrblase:
bahgee (05-09-2019), securityguy (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Over the last week or so CarPlay has been crashing a lot. Basically if it crashes once, I can expect it to crash every 30 seconds to a minute until I unplug and plug back in.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrblase
Tried this solution last week and so far it fixed ALL my infotainment system issues except the descrpancies that occasionally occur between the navigation instructions on the screen and the HUD. System no longer takes minutes to "load" or "initlize" or fails to do either. Usually up and running by the time I leave the driveway. Amazing after all these months of constant problems. USB music works perfectly. Only took about 20 minutes to reset all my system settings and saved radio stations. Can't believe that the dealership device department never tried or suggested doing this when I brought the vehicle in with these errors.
This is good to hear. I am going to dealer tomorrow for an oil change, but plan to see what they have to say about this issue in general. Curious if anyone that has done factory reset has used remote start either via keyfob or app? This seems to have contributed to my screen freezing issue. Since I pulled the fuse, I have had no issues, but I have not used the remote start since then.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:44 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Page 354 of the Owners Manual ??

bahgee (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

What doesn’t work???
The three button reset.
When reading your text messages does it also tell you the time down to the second along with who it's from and the phone number?
It's very annoying
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Froze again!

About 2 months ago I got the "classic freeze". Was playing radio through CarPlay app, heard the loud ping, then it froze. Plus the screen wouldn't turn off. Found the three button reset fix on YouTube, which did the trick (had to do it twice). After that it worked fine, and I thought the last software update solved. Guess not...driving around last night and it happened again. Three button reset worked on the second time, but this is annoying. May try the hard reset from settings.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

I stopped using CarPlay all together. I think it’s both Acura and Apple to blame on that front since Apple is always updating its software, but Acura is not. I too will by trying the factory reset. I just want to get the usb music working again without any issues.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Disclaimer Screen Freeze Recovery

I pulled the blue 15 A Radio fuse under the dash, and the Disclaimer screen went off. It had frozen on, and wouldn't turn off, even when the car was turned off. No amount of pressing buttons turned it off. The folks at AcuraLink could only order roadside assistance if the battery ran dead - they were no help. Thankfully, this happened on the way home, and I was able to find this thread using my home computer.

BTW, my iPhone, connected in the console, would not charge while the Disclaimer screen was frozen.

Thank you for the post that mentioned removing and replacing the 15 A fuse - it saved me a trip to the dealer! It's certainly not a convenient solution, but easier than disconnecting the battery.

What a disappointment to read about all the trouble with the system - I certainly expected better from Acura.

This is my first Acura and probably my last. Thankfully, I'm leasing the car, so will be done with this problem, one way or another, in 3 years.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

The three button reset.
When reading your text messages does it also tell you the time down to the second along with who it's from and the phone number?
It's very annoying
Do the FULL DATA RESET like was discussed above
Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
https://streamable.com/31nnh

Was driving normally, and no issues. Stopped to grab some groceries. Got in my car and had "Drive Mode Change Unavailable" popping up and the screen dimming and then brightening. Doing a reset with the three button push didn't seem to fix it.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OliveBread
https://streamable.com/31nnh
Was driving normally, and no issues. Stopped to grab some groceries. Got in my car and had "Drive Mode Change Unavailable" popping up and the screen dimming and then brightening. Doing a reset with the three button push didn't seem to fix it.
For this, most of us found that just turning off and get out of the car, return in about 30 minutes to restart it and it should be back to normal.
When I showed this to the dealer earlier this year, the Service Adviser just shrugged his shoulders and did not even try to diagnose it.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM
6th Gear

Dealer firmware update

Not sure if this is news to anyone- didn’t want to scroll and read all the posts.

Currently at the dealer for an oil change and to inform them about the infotainment system freezing and not turning off. My service advisor said Acura is very much aware and once they have a firmware update, I’ll have to come back in to have it installed at the dealer. She said it cannot be updated from home. The glitch has happened a few more times since my original post but the YouTube work around has been a decent temporary fix. Dealer said “we don’t have a fix yet.”

It it seems that this is a widespread Carplay issue with various auto brands, not just Acura. My brother has a Subaru and said Carplay would never load and freeze but after the dealer installed update, it’s working 100%. He said one of their friends also had an issue with carplay and navigation freezing, DK what kind of car they have. But clearly the technology has outpaced auto manufacturers and their ability to successfully implement the tech. Hopefully we’ll have a permanent solution soon!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up. My dealer had a similar response, minus the part about them having to install the update themselves. This seems pretty serious and either they will be updating the entire Android operating system to a newer version or replacing the unit itself and putting one in with the newer Android software. Dealer said they did a replacement on an RDX, and it was essentially like swapping out a hard drive.

They did disconnect my battery and then did a full reset from the infotainment menu when I was there. Since then, I have had no issues and the system seems to load faster, but I haven’t used CarPlay either. I think that is definitely the culprit.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Oddly CarPlay has been running better in my RDX on iOS 13 beta than it had been in months.
Padre Dave (07-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Not the RDX fault

Originally Posted by mcrompton
Oddly CarPlay has been running better in my RDX on iOS 13 beta than it had been in months.
Correct, except for not why you think...

Most CarPlay problem often get resolved by either reseting your 1) RDX Infotainment and/or 2) iPhone to factory settings and RE_LOADING your profile (on phone, manual reset on the car.)

Factory cables and cleaning out your lightning port helps as well

This should be on a sticky note at the top of the blog.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis
Correct, except for not why you think...

Most CarPlay problem often get resolved by either reseting your 1) RDX Infotainment and/or 2) iPhone to factory settings and RE_LOADING your profile (on phone, manual reset on the car.)

Factory cables and cleaning out your lightning port helps as well

This should be on a sticky note at the top of the blog.
True, although to further add to your point, my wife has the same car and it's now running better in both. Could also very much be a coincidence.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
True, although to further add to your point, my wife has the same car and it's now running better in both. Could also very much be a coincidence.
I still think back to this site when someone took a loss in an RDX because his infotainment system and CarPlay didn’t work well. Never reset his $300 device, traded in his $40k car instead.

’what a country’
securityguy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
I’ve been dealing with cell phones since 2010. Intermittent issues almost always point to software issues as the culprit. Lint/dust in the charging port could be another culprit to rule out. My vote is most of the issues are related to software issues.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
After I updated my iphone XS Max to 12.1.4 (from 12.1.3) - the workaround I posted above no longer works. I had shutoff carplay and was using my phone to play music via USB Audio, This also allowed Waze audio to come through the car speakers. After the the update to ios 12.1.4, usb audio from the phone works for about 2 songs, then just stops. I tried the acura update to 1.1.2 and that did not help either with my workaround or carplay in general. USB Audio from a flash drive seems to still work, but I prefer to have a screen to be able to select music. I am going to try an ipod touch to see if that works for usb audio. I will also try to tether it to my phones hotspot to see if waze will work in carplay mode.

TheFidge - please keep us up to date if you hear back from dealer or find a solution.
I’m not sure why you have no way to select songs on your USB drive, as I have the ability to search the Music Library on my thumb drive and select either albums or songs. It talked a few minutes to load all of the data on my drive, and if I try too soon, the screen is whited to show unavailability. If I click on “Songs” for example, I get a bar across the bottom saying that this function is not yet available.

Anyone know whatever happened to cars having a hard drive to store music? Mine has to reload every time....I had the same issue with Mazda, and they have their little pet glitches too. I did work-arounds on those but am not trying to learn to psych out the inanimate OS of our Acura system. I am running iOS 13 beta and actually have a more complete screen in CarPlay, and seven my USB has the album covers on the screen. This is going to be a dance with our phones and the Apple iOS and the Acura OS.....if only my pastoral skills could be used to get those two talking from the same script.....oh well....works with people....sometimes.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:31 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
I’m not sure why you have no way to select songs on your USB drive, as I have the ability to search the Music Library on my thumb drive and select either albums or songs. It talked a few minutes to load all of the data on my drive, and if I try too soon, the screen is whited to show unavailability. If I click on “Songs” for example, I get a bar across the bottom saying that this function is not yet available.

Anyone know whatever happened to cars having a hard drive to store music? Mine has to reload every time....I had the same issue with Mazda, and they have their little pet glitches too. I did work-arounds on those but am not trying to learn to psych out the inanimate OS of our Acura system. I am running iOS 13 beta and actually have a more complete screen in CarPlay, and seven my USB has the album covers on the screen. This is going to be a dance with our phones and the Apple iOS and the Acura OS.....if only my pastoral skills could be used to get those two talking from the same script.....oh well....works with people....sometimes.

A quick update to mine, so I recently went on vacation and needed the Acura dealership to get this fixed asap, they went through the explaining how they will reset the system since I had all of the udpates. I advised do what is needed however I noticed something after they supposedly had done the reset when bringing my vehicle around my iPhone 10smax connected to the Bluetooth automatically. I knew right then in and there that no reset of the system had been done because all data would be gone and the car shouldn't have remembered my phone. I advised of this and they told me I was correct. The manager said he has the same issue and advised that he would do this now personally with me standing there. He went through the process and reset the system however he asked if I used Apple CarPlay or if I used Bluetooth to connect. I advised I did both as it's natural that when you get a new vehicle you set up Bluetooth wit the phone regardless and here my friends we discovered the issue. It seems that these infotainment can't do both they fight over connecting so If you have the phone plugged in to use CarPlay then don't set up Bluetooth with the phone you can do everything else WiFi etc just don't set up Bluetooth. He advised use one or the other as when you are using carplay and have Bluetooth set up the system tries to override at certain times which causes the freezing and for it to disconnect carplay and advise that carplay is not available. I can tell you that I have been using nothing but CarPlay and have had no issues since and that was last week no more freezing and random disconnecting of Carplay. He said that Acura is working on a fix but for now decide which one you want to use and only use that in my case since I run an iPhone I just plug it in and it works no issues, no need for Bluetooth.
Padre Dave (07-05-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Interesting method about the carplay and bluetooth fighting each other in the infotainment. I think i will try this too. A couple of questions

what ios are you running on your iphone?
Does this method still work if you just turn off the bluetooth on your phone or do you have to completely wipe the bluetooth connection from the car/phone?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by g1huang
Interesting method about the carplay and bluetooth fighting each other in the infotainment. I think i will try this too. A couple of questions

Does this method still work if you just turn off the bluetooth on your phone or do you have to completely wipe the bluetooth connection from the car/phone?
I would think that just turning off BT would be fine.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:33 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by g1huang

Im running 12.3.1, the dealership after resetting the car had me hit the forget this device on Bluetooth from my phone. So when you go to Bluetooth and see the AcuraLink forget it. He said it’s better to choose one method and if you will be using CarPlay there’s no need to have the phone look for the cars Bluetooth. I’m good with it since I connect my phone via the CarPlay port. All the voice functions work and controls from the wheel. Again I haven’t had any issues since doing this.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Interesting. I have shut off CarPlay and have been using Bluetooth exclusively since my reset and no issues. How long has it been since your reset and car play only usage?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:56 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
We’re on vacation. Yesterday I drove around 5 hours and my whole system worked flawlessly. My major change in MY behavior is to unplug whatever I am using from the USB port whenever I shut the car down. Then when I restart the car, I wait until the Disclaimer screen disappears and then insert either the Lightning cable if using my phone or insert my USB music drive. I had only one “No device connected” screen, so I pulled the drive out and inserted it again after about 5 seconds. Worked perfectly.

Elsewhere I also posted that I now keep my USB thumb drives on a ring and keep them in my pants pocket when not in use vs. leaving them in the car. When using CarPlay, I also unplug the Lightning cable at every stop, and then when restarting the engine, I wait till the Disclaimer screen clears and then plug the cable or USB drive. Following this protocol I have had success each time and the system is working flawlessly. I pray this helps someone.

Thanks for the mutual support you all are providing. I am thankful to be part of this community.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
We’re on vacation. Yesterday I drove around 5 hours and my whole system worked flawlessly. My major change in MY behavior is to unplug whatever I am using from the USB port whenever I shut the car down. Then when I restart the car, I wait until the Disclaimer screen disappears and then insert either the Lightning cable if using my phone or insert my USB music drive. I had only one “No device connected” screen, so I pulled the drive out and inserted it again after about 5 seconds. Worked perfectly.

Elsewhere I also posted that I now keep my USB thumb drives on a ring and keep them in my pants pocket when not in use vs. leaving them in the car. When using CarPlay, I also unplug the Lightning cable at every stop, and then when restarting the engine, I wait till the Disclaimer screen clears and then plug the cable or USB drive. Following this protocol I have had success each time and the system is working flawlessly. I pray this helps someone.

Thanks for the mutual support you all are providing. I am thankful to be part of this community.
Great to hear but you still shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to get it to work flawlessly. Hopefully a future software fix will officially fix the issues!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 PM
8th Gear

Interesting. I have shut off CarPlay and have been using Bluetooth exclusively since my reset and no issues. How long has it been since your reset and car play only usage?
Three weeks now...
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear

Same issue 2019 rdx 1 month old

Nav and radio intermittently cant connect
Dealer has no ideas whatsoever. Referred us to Acura client care
Last Acura I'll buy
Old 07-20-2019, 02:40 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Steven Weitz
Nav and radio intermittently cant connect
Dealer has no ideas whatsoever. Referred us to Acura client care
Last Acura I'll buy
Hi Steven, My Acura dealer has seemed to solve it for me I have had no issues with freezing, Apple Carplay or anything else. All he did was reset and advise to choose whether you want to use your phone with Carplay or bluetooth but only use one don't have the phone connected via bluetooth and try to use carplay because the features are replicating the same functions you just get more with the applecarplay than bluetooth. I am good at this point no further issues this is has been since Mid June.
bahgee (07-21-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
After a year of trouble-free audio, my system started taking a long time ‘loading’ and when I tried to add a favorite, it went into a coma.
I tried the 3-button reset a few times and had only a slight improvement.
Did the factory reset yesterday and then re-paired the phone and re-added all favorites and audio settings.

Now the system is fast and responsive and functions perfectly.
I highly recommend an occasional factory reset to prevent sluggishness, freezing, etc.
subin (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catbert430
After a year of trouble-free audio, my system started taking a long time ‘loading’ and when I tried to add a favorite, it went into a coma.
I tried the 3-button reset a few times and had only a slight improvement.
Did the factory reset yesterday and then re-paired the phone and re-added all favorites and audio settings.

Now the system is fast and responsive and functions perfectly.
I highly recommend an occasional factory reset to prevent sluggishness, freezing, etc.
Yep...exactly what I said to do several months ago! Happy it worked for you as well.

Quick Reply: 2019 Infotainment System Frozen