Trailer hitch and wiring harness options

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trailer hitch and wiring harness options

Has anyone yet installed a trailer hitch and wiring harness?

Is the only option the hitch and harness from Acura? Acura wants a stupid amount of money for the hitch and harness.

Is there a plug somewhere in the back to connect the harness?

In looking under the vehicle, it would seem that the spare tire is in the way.

I realize the towing capacity is limited to 1,500 lbs.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Here is a link to the installation. It was posted a while back on this site.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-08.PDF

You might need to cut and paste into a browser. If you have an Advance you will have to worry about the hands free tailgate sensor. That is the main reason I am letting Acura install my hitch.

Billy
Old 07-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by billyt1963

You might need to cut and paste into a browser. If you have an Advance you will have to worry about the hands free tailgate sensor. That is the main reason I am letting Acura install my hitch.

Billy
Thanks. Only 74 steps to install the hitch and harness! Maybe a few less if you don't have the hands-free liftgate. I have the A-spec so no issue there. Re the pricing, I believe I was told that the pricing of Acura accessories/packages includes installation which looks quite tedious. My guess is that an experienced tech would take 2 to 3 hours to install. If not for the guide you provided, I would have considered installing it myself. Not a chance now. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by wpmcmullin
Has anyone yet installed a trailer hitch and wiring harness?

Is the only option the hitch and harness from Acura? Acura wants a stupid amount of money for the hitch and harness.

Is there a plug somewhere in the back to connect the harness?

In looking under the vehicle, it would seem that the spare tire is in the way.

I realize the towing capacity is limited to 1,500 lbs.
I had the hitch and wiring harness installed by my dealer. It looks fantastic on the back of the car and I will post a picture later
The following users liked this post:
billyt1963 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Meto. Yes, please do post a picture. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Meto
I had the hitch and wiring harness installed by my dealer. It looks fantastic on the back of the car and I will post a picture later
Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Racer

Meto. Yes, please do post a picture. Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by Meto:
heno (03-14-2021), i69fstop (12-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by billyt1963

Billy
Concerning the sensor, they did tell me it was moved to the right of center after the installation, so you would have to stick your foot under the right part of the rear bumper.. No big deal as I hardly would use this feature.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Concerning the sensor, they did tell me it was moved to the right of center after the installation, so you would have to stick your foot under the right part of the rear bumper.. No big deal as I hardly would use this feature.
Thanks for the picture and the update. I am glad that I am getting the receiver in the beginning, that way I won’t have to relearn where the sensor is located.

Billy
Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

Meto. It does look great. Is the harness bracket an option? It would look cleaner and more symmetrical if the bracket wasn't there. I realize that means that the wire/connector would need to be stowed/hidden somewhere behind the bumper cover.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Racer

Meto. It does look great. Is the harness bracket an option? It would look cleaner and more symmetrical if the bracket wasn't there. I realize that means that the wire/connector would need to be stowed/hidden somewhere behind the bumper cover.
I really do not know the answer to that and it really doesn't bother me at all. I just want it to be functional and be ready to go when I need it.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
So can anyone help me decipher what the 3 hitch harness options are/mean? There is a "Trailer Hitch Harness", a "Trailer Hitch Harness (w/ STD HFA)" and a "Trailer Hitch Harness (w/ YOP HFA)". What are the differences between them? Which one is preferable? Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Huskr84
So can anyone help me decipher what the 3 hitch harness options are/mean? There is a "Trailer Hitch Harness", a "Trailer Hitch Harness (w/ STD HFA)" and a "Trailer Hitch Harness (w/ YOP HFA)". What are the differences between them? Which one is preferable? Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated!
No one's got an answer....?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I believe that Trailer Hitch Harness is for RDX models that do not have Hands-free Access.
STD HFA would be the Advance model which has Hands-free Access as standard equipment.
YOP HFA would be the Base, Tech, or A-Spec model where the Hands-free Access has been added as an accessory.

The difference is that the Advance model has control to turn HFA on or off in menu settings. The accessory HFA has a physical on-off switch mounted in the top inside portion of the tailgate.
The HFA unit is mounted in the center behind the lower bumper. When you install a trailer hitch, you need to move it to the left.
ArtH (04-08-2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:45 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
I finally got motivated and DIY installed the hitch and trailer wiring harness on my 2019 RDX Advance. I ordered the parts from OEM Acura Parts after consulting with Tim on what is required. There is conflicting ( and wrong ) information from Acura on this. I read the installation instructions about a dozen times and I was still confused. And it turns out the installation instructions are wrong on a few things.

For Advance, stock HFA sensor unit gets replaced with a smaller one that mounts to the left of center. It mounts to the replacement trim panel, so that is specific to Advance trim as well. And although it wasn't obvious, the trailer hitch harness is required in addition to the replacement HFA sensor unit.

Catbert is correct that the physical switch isn't required because the HFA can be switched from settings in the Advance trim. But the instructions say to remove the upper left cargo area trim panel, even if you aren't installing the switch into it, and I think that's wrong. It's a PITA and I don't think it was necessary. It's especially a PITA because there is a special fastener that isn't supposed to be reused. The replacement fastener is supposed to be included with the accessory kit, but it wasn't, so I had to improvise a way to reuse the fastener and that was a major PITA. Honda/Acura is usually better than this.

Required parts for 2019 Acura RDX Advance:

08L91-TJB-200 Harness, Trailer Hitch

08L91-TJB-200B Sensor, Tailgate

08L92-TJB-200B Panel, Trailer Hitch Cover

08L92-TJB-200 Trailer Hitch

Last edited by Wander; 07-17-2018 at 01:50 AM.
BerwynBill (07-01-2019)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys! I knew somebody would know the answer - too many smart people on the forum!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to install hitch w/o the trailer harness on RDX 2019 with advance package. I ordered and received today trailer hitch 08L92-TJB-200 and a trailer hitch cover 08L92-TJB-200B but when I was ready to install these parts, I find out that the original HFA sensor is too long and I doubt that it can be used with a new installation by moving it to the left. Luckily I found this post with required parts for hitch installation. I'm only not sure if I need a trailer harness 08L91-TJB-200?
By the way, what is a stupid design. Why needed to replace the original parts for accessories installation.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM
8th Gear

As I mentioned before, after receiving trailer hitch and cover, I noticed that the original HFA sensor has to be replace as well with the short one, so I gave up and called to acura service department to figure out the cost of total installation (parts and installation). Spending on the phone more than 30 minutes I finally got the approximately answer because I was the first person who wants to install the hitch on 2019 RDX with HFA option. So, they said $465 for parts (hitch, hitch cover, and new HFA sensor) and $325 for installation. WOW!!!!!!!!
After that I make a decision to install hitch by myself. I'm going to order a short HFA sensor. I'm just not sure if I have to order a trailer hitch harness 08L91-TJB-200 if I want the hitch just for my bike
Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cranch63
I'm just not sure if I have to order a trailer hitch harness 08L91-TJB-200 if I want the hitch just for my bike
I installed the hitch and cover on my tech, did not consider a harness since I only plan to use the hitch for my bike rack as well; if there's a need for the harness I am certain that could be dealt with later. .
Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 PM
8th Gear

It's again, I'm trying to install hitch on '19RDX ADVANCE with hands-free access power liftgate opener. So, beside of the hitch itself and hitch cover, for the Advance RDX is required to replace long sensor (proximity???), that will be interference with the installed hitch, on a short sensor (half shorter than the original) and a new sensor will be located on the left side from hitch. My problem is that I do not now if the original harness for the hands-free sensor has to be replaced I'm not talking about the trailer harness that is used for the lighting up the trailer. From what I found, this harness is 08L91-TJB-200. Finally I want to mention that this installation is just for my bike so I do not need a harness for the trailer.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cranch63
It's again, I'm trying to install hitch on '19RDX ADVANCE with hands-free access power liftgate opener. So, beside of the hitch itself and hitch cover, for the Advance RDX is required to replace long sensor (proximity???), that will be interference with the installed hitch, on a short sensor (half shorter than the original) and a new sensor will be located on the left side from hitch. My problem is that I do not now if the original harness for the hands-free sensor has to be replaced I'm not talking about the trailer harness that is used for the lighting up the trailer. From what I found, this harness is 08L91-TJB-200. Finally I want to mention that this installation is just for my bike so I do not need a harness for the trailer.
You may want to give Curry Acura a call to determine if you'll need the harness for the hands free sensor; they run the eBay store that I purchased my hitch and cover from; install instructions located here: LinkDeny
Old 09-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone done the install by themself on an Aspec? I also want to use hitch for bike rack.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, second time trying to post a reply.

picking up my Advance in about 2 weeks. Need hitch help:

1. can someone post a before and after pic of the sensor placement?
2. dealer says I do not need the trailer wiring harness since I am only going touse for a bike rack. I use a different vehicle for towing. However, they want 600 to do the install. seems a little high and a rather simple DIY. however, I really want a 2" receiver to match my back rack and other hitches gear. anybody find a 2" receiver (aside from using an adapter)? think they will eventually make one despite the 1500 pound tow limit?

thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Bought my RDX Aspec today, I gave in and paid the 600, just want it done quickly, and don't want to mess with it. I also want to use hitch for my 1Up Bike Rack.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Having installed on my Tech and a review of the instructions, I believe the only thing different for an Aspec is that you have to buy the Aspec specific hitch cover panel to accomodate the larger exhaust tips. Note, that the OEM Hitch is the 1in so you'll need the adapter for a 2 inch bike rack if that's what you already have. Ebay Store Curry acura for the parts, install instructions: LinkDeny

Last edited by EddieN; 09-29-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by goingcrazy12
Ok, second time trying to post a reply.

picking up my Advance in about 2 weeks. Need hitch help:

1. can someone post a before and after pic of the sensor placement?
2. dealer says I do not need the trailer wiring harness since I am only going touse for a bike rack. I use a different vehicle for towing. However, they want 600 to do the install. seems a little high and a rather simple DIY. however, I really want a 2" receiver to match my back rack and other hitches gear. anybody find a 2" receiver (aside from using an adapter)? think they will eventually make one despite the 1500 pound tow limit?

thanks
The "short" sensor mounts to the replacement panel left of the hitch. The panel bulges out to accommodate it.

I don't think there is room for a 2" hitch, especially with the spare tire and/or hands-free access sensor. Little chance Acura would release different hitches for trims with or without HFA. Also, 2" hitches typically have a much higher rating than 1500 pounds, and owners might be tempted to do something naughty. So I think the 1-1/4 inch hitch is all there will be from Acura. And I'm skeptical about the aftermarket because of the clearance issue.

1-1/4 to 2" adapter should be fine except maybe for long heavily loaded platform style hitches. I'm not sure I'll try my Thule T2 2+2 setup. 2-bikes should be fine.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

thanks. all. ended up just installing the OEM hitch and sensor. was pretty straight forward with no problems. Heck, I actually thought it was easier installing the hitch than the rear splash guards. Go figure.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Talking New Hitch Cover

Go Astros!

Not an advertisement but, because someone's gonna ask: http://www.kempterkustoms.com

Last edited by Gadget Freak; 10-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Any tips on installing those splash guards...especially the rears? I bought the set, but the rears with that extra piece of plastic looks like it might be a little challenge.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
10th Gear

I ended up removing the rear tires. was extremely easy at that point. can do it without doing so, but I struggled to match the clips and keep pressure. since my neighbor has a mechanic's jack and air ratchet , was a pretty simple task for us.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Does anyone know why the RDX only has a tow limit of 1,500 lbs? It can't be the engine, since the X3 and Q5 can both tow 4,400 lbs with a 2l turbo.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
The "short" sensor mounts to the replacement panel left of the hitch. The panel bulges out to accommodate it.

I don't think there is room for a 2" hitch, especially with the spare tire and/or hands-free access sensor. Little chance Acura would release different hitches for trims with or without HFA. Also, 2" hitches typically have a much higher rating than 1500 pounds, and owners might be tempted to do something naughty. So I think the 1-1/4 inch hitch is all there will be from Acura. And I'm skeptical about the aftermarket because of the clearance issue.

1-1/4 to 2" adapter should be fine except maybe for long heavily loaded platform style hitches. I'm not sure I'll try my Thule T2 2+2 setup. 2-bikes should be fine.

Factory hitch, 2in adapter, thule swingout 4 bike hitch, 3 bikes. Other than it being 3ft from the trunk, i drove 150 miles with everything on and no issues. if you have the time and want to save $400 in labor, it's an easy DIY.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
OK, thanks. I think it was the "bend inner fenders back" part that makes the most nervous. I have this bad habit of breaking/bending stuff in the age of plastic everything. On a side note, very odd inner fender lining material. Never seen anything quite like that used in that area. Sttel back in the day, plastic now...but this looks like some kind of fabricy material.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Onyschuk
Anyone done the install by themself on an Aspec? I also want to use hitch for bike rack.
Made a deal with dealer for $386 for hitch package. Installed it myself, and as others have noted for the advanced model, the instructions are not correct for the A-spec model either. There is no need to lift up on the rear seats, pull the rear door trim off, and no need to remove upper air bag curtain trim. Just the bottom tray, rear trim piece, and side trim piece. Note, the tiedown screws are on there real tight. One would not come out, even with a screwdriver bit in a socket wrench!! Things can still be finagled out though with one still tight. Took me about 4 hours taking my time, but would have been 3 if I didn't remove the previously mentioned items.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EddieN
I installed the hitch and cover on my tech, did not consider a harness since I only plan to use the hitch for my bike rack as well; if there's a need for the harness I am certain that could be dealt with later. .
Eddie - how hard was it to install the hitch? I want to use my bike rack too, but want to save on the labor.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 AM
DR1
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pqlyer
Eddie - how hard was it to install the hitch? I want to use my bike rack too, but want to save on the labor.
+1 - As I would like to use this for the same purpose.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Here is the look of the A-spec installed.

A-spec Hitch Cover
The following 2 users liked this post by ULEWZ:
Helitech (12-26-2019), subin (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the info. I want to install hitch and wiring my self. I have a 2019 RDX A-Spec and was concerned about installing the wiring with all the stuff that needed to be removed. From your post it seems a lot easier that the instructions from Acura. Did you have any problems that you could point out in the wiring install?
Old 12-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Trailer Hitch Install and Hitch Cover Manual Cut Out

I needed only a hitch for my bike rack and the prices from Acura are unreal. I've been waiting for the after market to come out with hitches but I can't wait any longer so I purchased my hitch at Duval Acura in Jacksonville, FL. I took proof of the online 30% off price but they would only match 25% off, oh well, couldn't wait any longer so I got it. Installation is pretty easy since I don't have the hand's free tailgate or a spare tire. You can skip all those steps. Here is a link to the directions: 2019 Acura RDX Rear Trailer Hitch http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-09.PDF, thanks to EE4Life!
I didn't want to pony up the money for the OEM hitch bumper cover so I decided to fabricate my own from the existing cover. I figured if I messed it up I can still go buy a new one and install it, so nothing to loose.

This is the first brackets you bolt the RDX frame. This is the left there is an identical one on the right.

I used an U Joint Socket and Impact Driver to turn the bolts before I used the torque wrench to tighten them to specs.

I only attached the forward (towards the front of the car) bolts so I could swing the hitch up to the bumper and mark where I needed to cut the bumper cover.

Be careful and get all the bolts started by hand. I tried to use the impact wrench thinking it would be quicker and striped the threads. I had to use my bench grinder to grind down the ends of the bolts to correct my mistake.

This is the hitch hanging from only the forward bolts.

I estimated how far I needed to cut and drew lines on the bumper cover using a white paper correction pen. I'd seen Granite guys using these pens to write temporary notes on Granite and it works pretty well on the black bumper cover.

A view of my cutting plan from below.

I used a drill to start and crate the corners of the cuts.

I but the rest of the lines with a rotozip using a cutting wheel. This could be done with a Dremel Tool or perhaps an oscillating saw. I cleaned up the edges with a hand file and an emory cloth. There will be a lot of plastic burrs on the edges because the Cutting tool actually melts the plastic and creates a lot of burrs.

Here is the finished product. Not perfect but very nice and it doesn't protrude out like the OEM cover.

Here the finished hitch with the bike rack.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChiefG:
Helitech (12-26-2019), subin (01-04-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Problem with the Advance is it's a pretty lengthy process... so I opted to let the dealership do it. Install time is about 3 hours.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhowell
Thanks for the info. I want to install hitch and wiring my self. I have a 2019 RDX A-Spec and was concerned about installing the wiring with all the stuff that needed to be removed. From your post it seems a lot easier that the instructions from Acura. Did you have any problems that you could point out in the wiring install?
Pretty simple (once you have done it). Here is a picture or two of the wiring install and what I removed: (edit, mostly pictures of installing spare tire, oh well). Still need to remove panel at the very back and pull the left side wall panel off the side wall. No need to completely remove it.

Install control unit and make sure the ground wire is attached at the bolt. Use the supplied aluminum tape where shown.

Pan removed and wiring shown and secured with supplied and cut aluminum tape.

Left side bracket that gets two bolts removed and one lower bolt loosened. Don't forget to retighten the lower bolt.

Last edited by ULEWZ; 12-25-2018 at 03:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ULEWZ:
dhowell (12-26-2018), subin (01-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch and wiring harness options