Curious about how others are cleaning their new cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Curious about how others are cleaning their new cars

Maybe we can pick up some tips from each other and share product recommendations? Trying to avoid swirl marks and scratches for as long as possible.
I've had my RDX since Oct. 20 and have cleaned it twice (once a week). I'm going to try to keep that cadence, weather permitting of course. So far, my routine is I get up early and take it to the self service car wash and only use the pressure washer. Then back home and use the following:
Exterior...
TriNova Waterless Wash & Wax for the body
Armor All Spray Foam for tires
Meguiar's D10101 All Purpose for rims and whatever

Interior hasn't needed anything beyond vacuuming and dusting but I have...
Lexol Leather Conditioner
303 Aerospace Protectant

I always use microfiber cloths. I have the big package of yellow ones from Costco, but wondering if there are better ones. I wash them twice (once by themselves, then a second time with a load of regular laundry) and never use fabric softener. Sometimes I get tiny bits of leaves or something stuck in the fibers and I have to pick them out before using them.

Before my 2019 RDX I had a 2005 TLX and these products served me and my car well. But my dashboard did crack like a lot of other TLXs of that generation.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Interesting to see a detail/care thread!!!

Probably a noob moment, but I think you meant TL, not TLX... But, I assume you've been familiarizing yourself with the current Acura lineup prior to new car purchase... Sometimes I call the CL, the TL coupe, haha...

Enjoy the new ride, keep us posted!!!

Oh, and any pics???
Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Mine gets washed whenever it's dirty enough that I notice. Car wash near me is brushless. Been through at least a dozen times and no scratches/swirls/smudges. Not going to obsess about using a car wash 'cause during the winter that's my only option so no need to do anything different the rest of the year.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Interesting to see a detail/care thread!!!

Probably a noob moment, but I think you meant TL, not TLX... But, I assume you've been familiarizing yourself with the current Acura lineup prior to new car purchase... Sometimes I call the CL, the TL coupe, haha...

Enjoy the new ride, keep us posted!!!

Oh, and any pics???
Yes, TL. lol. I haven't taken any pics of my car yet. I should probably do that while the weather is still nice.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Mine gets washed whenever it's dirty enough that I notice. Car wash near me is brushless. Been through at least a dozen times and no scratches/swirls/smudges. Not going to obsess about using a car wash 'cause during the winter that's my only option so no need to do anything different the rest of the year.
I used to have a white car, my 98 CL, before my silver '05 TL. The silver was the easiest to not obsess over, the white was second, but now I have the performance red and I can see a layer of dust on the hood just a day after cleaning.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by MCBfly
I used to have a white car, my 98 CL, before my silver '05 TL. The silver was the easiest to not obsess over, the white was second, but now I have the performance red and I can see a layer of dust on the hood just a day after cleaning.
Certainly agree about the silver and white. My '14 Cadillac was red and would show dust just walking from the driveway to the front door so I feel your pain. Haven't owned a black or blue car in over 30 years now for that same reason - they look really, really good for the 30 seconds they're clean right after washing.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I don't drive an RDX, but my CR-V and S4 get cleaned at a nearby hand car wash. No brushes ever.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a waterless car wash (on amazon) works great, especially if you have a garage...keeps car clean in the winter. Twice a year I polish with meguiars mirror glaze #7 then wax with meguiars yellow wax #26. The polish is what really shines the car, the wax protects the polish.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Originally Posted by K-redd
I use a waterless car wash (on amazon) works great, especially if you have a garage...keeps car clean in the winter. Twice a year I polish with meguiars mirror glaze #7 then wax with meguiars yellow wax #26. The polish is what really shines the car, the wax protects the polish.
Which waterless car wash are you using? The first one I tried was Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax because of the great reviews and I really liked it. Then I decided to try TriNova, which I use now. I switched because it's cheaper (it's concentrated, mix with water) and reviews were great. TriNova is stronger and cleans bird shit and bugs a little better than the Meguiar's, but the Meguiar's actually made the paint look brighter. I do like TriNova, but I'm thinking about trying out Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless next.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Just posted a pic in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16329754
Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wash my Advanced Gunmetal Metallic on average once a week using the two bucket method with grit-guards and microfiber mit after a good rinse with just water. I have a bottle of Chemical Guys Honey Snow Foam. Occasionally I will get the foam gun out but mainly just mix up some soapy water in one of the buckets. Do the normal wash top to bottom. Then use a $35 leaf blower to air dry the car and dab up a few wet spots with a waffle weave drying towel. When I got the car I did a light clay bar after the first 2 weeks of owning and applied Jescar Power Lock + Polymer Sealant. Looking back I wish I would've just got it Ceramic coated when it was new but I think in the spring I will go that route. Only swirl marks were in the B and C pillars after picking up from the dealer which I lightly buffed out and applied Xpel Ultimate Plus Film being they are "high traffic" areas on the car people like to touch. My RDX lives in the garage and has only seen the rain once so it doesn't get that dirty but this is also my first brand new car so I want it to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MCBfly
Maybe we can pick up some tips from each other and share product recommendations? Trying to avoid swirl marks and scratches for as long as possible.
I've had my RDX since Oct. 20 and have cleaned it twice (once a week). I'm going to try to keep that cadence, weather permitting of course. So far, my routine is I get up early and take it to the self service car wash and only use the pressure washer. Then back home and use the following:
Exterior...
TriNova Waterless Wash & Wax for the body
Armor All Spray Foam for tires
Meguiar's D10101 All Purpose for rims and whatever

Interior hasn't needed anything beyond vacuuming and dusting but I have...
Lexol Leather Conditioner
303 Aerospace Protectant

I always use microfiber cloths. I have the big package of yellow ones from Costco, but wondering if there are better ones. I wash them twice (once by themselves, then a second time with a load of regular laundry) and never use fabric softener. Sometimes I get tiny bits of leaves or something stuck in the fibers and I have to pick them out before using them.

Before my 2019 RDX I had a 2005 TLX and these products served me and my car well. But my dashboard did crack like a lot of other TLXs of that generation.
You can use your waterless wash on your rim too, so no need to buy separate cleaner, Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash and Shine has a a good review (kind of hard to get this one from where I am), but I use Sans-Zo Waterless Car wash at the moment equally good..
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I have a 4G TL. I've used various waxes, all with pretty good results. Currently use Maguire's Gold Class Carnuba wax. I like it more than the synthetic. I use Maguire's Leather Conditioner which I've found to work very well, I have 175K miles and do Uber frequently, so the seats get a pretty good amount of traffic. They look excellent. Practically new in the backseat and probably the equivilant of 50K miles of wear on the driver and passenger side. I clean with mild soap and water the treat with the conditioner afterward. I do that about twice a month.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
If you really care about your paint then of course it needs to be waxed regularly. But moreover it should only be hand washed, using two bucket system (or foam cannon if you have one) and the only thing that should touch the paint is clean microfiber cloth. For me its one wash per cloth then ill use it for other things. Only fresh new cloth should touch the paint because one piece of hard dirt or rock can start scratching. Which soap you use isn't that important as long as its actual car wash soap and not like dish soap or whatever lol.

Last edited by dopeboy1; 11-29-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
The following users liked this post:
MCBfly (11-29-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 01:26 PM
SWF
Cruisin'

Rinse, wash with my Autogeek car wash bucket with grit guard and rinse again. Dry with chamois. Liquid Glass is my favorite and has been for years. One of the best, if not the best auto polish on the market.

MCBfly (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
www.hydrosilex.com
Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
If you really care about your paint then of course it needs to be waxed regularly. But moreover it should only be hand washed, using two bucket system (or foam cannon if you have one) and the only thing that should touch the paint is clean microfiber cloth. For me its one wash per cloth then ill use it for other things. Only fresh new cloth should touch the paint because one piece of hard dirt or rock can start scratching. Which soap you use isn't that important as long as its actual car wash soap and not like dish soap or whatever lol.
Your crazy man. One cloth use and done? I have a NBP type s and I thought I was anal about my car washing methods lol. I've quickly realized no matter how hard i try, I can't keep it clean. Even after one drive on dry roads you will notice dirt, especially on a dropped black car...
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K-redd
Hi K-redd ,

how you use meguiars mirror glaze #7, and meguiars yellow wax #26 ?

are you using with a power polisher ? or just by hand with microfiber cloth?

thanks,
Old 12-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Trying to keep the Performance Red Pearl A-Spec clean is a serious challenge. I just bought a new house in a new subdivision that is at the first stage of construction. We have been here 3 months now. They are building 6 houses on one side of us and just completed 8 on the other side of us. We were the 2nd family to move in. I have to contend withe the orange clay/mud here in Va that is being tracked everywhere by the builders and sub-contractors. The roads have not been paved to their final height/finish, and water does not drain completely after a rain storm. I have to drive through all of this to get to my garage and parking in front of the house is no escape either. I have to clean the car at least 2 times every week. and at make one trip to a car wash weekly to use their power sprayer to remove the mud from the undercarriage. The splash guards I installed don't do much in the way of helping. They need to be a little bigger in my opinion. I've only had the car a month as of today!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:16 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Your crazy man. One cloth use and done? I have a NBP type s and I thought I was anal about my car washing methods lol. I've quickly realized no matter how hard i try, I can't keep it clean. Even after one drive on dry roads you will notice dirt, especially on a dropped black car...
LOLLLLL yeah one and done. But I buy them in bulk off amazon so their really inexpensive and I have plenty of things to use them on after other than the nice black paint. I had an expensive 3 stage polish done to the car which got the paint to be perfect so now im super careful about keeping it that way.

Your right though its a constant battle, its only really nice the day of the wash then it collects dust.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
LOLLLLL yeah one and done. But I buy them in bulk off amazon so their really inexpensive and I have plenty of things to use them on after other than the nice black paint. I had an expensive 3 stage polish done to the car which got the paint to be perfect so now im super careful about keeping it that way.

Your right though its a constant battle, its only really nice the day of the wash then it collects dust.
no paint is perfect man. if you drive your car, it will have imperfections in the paint
Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

First you wipe on the polish, simply wipe off with microfiber cloth...then swirl on wax, let wax dry, buff with microfiber cloths. It’s the polish that really shines the vehicle, (especially on darker colors) and the wax protects the polish.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by i69fstop
Hi K-redd ,

how you use meguiars mirror glaze #7, and meguiars yellow wax #26 ?

are you using with a power polisher ? or just by hand with microfiber cloth?

thanks,
just apply mirror glaze polish and simply wipe off with microfiber cloth by hand. Swirl on wax, let dry buffer by hand with microfiber cloth, it’s the polish that really shines the car (especially darker colors) the wax protects the polish.
i69fstop (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Over the past couple years, I have switched to waterless... It's super easy, so far no scratches or swirl marks...

1. Spray entire car with Optimum No-Rinse (ONR)
Amazon-ONR Amazon-ONR
using a pump sprayer https://www.homedepot.com/p/WoodRx-2-gal-Clear-Wood-Protector-with-Pump-Sprayer-and-Fan-Tip-67007/203359231 using distilled water (probably overkill but no spots should you miss a spot
2. In a 5 gal bucket w/ONR mixture & a
Grit Guard (amazon) Grit Guard (amazon)
&
Grit Guard Washboard (amazon) Grit Guard Washboard (amazon)
& Microfiber wash mit, wash the car per ONR instructions one section at a time. Usually do window line up and roof, then hood & fenders, rest of each side and rear. Lastly wheels. After washing each side, I recently discovered https://www.microfibertech.com for amazing and super affordable microfiber towels. Two of these large https://www.microfibertech.com/Plush-Microfiber-Automotive-Drying-Towel-600-gsm-20-in-x-40-in_p_396.html with a couple sprays per panel of
Optimum Opti-Seal Optimum Opti-Seal
and the car is washed and dried in no time.
3. I use a dirty microfiber for the wheels and the same process, spray, wash, dry w/Opti-Seal.
4. Last step is getting the water out of the grill & cracks with this
Chemical Guys Blower (amazon) Chemical Guys Blower (amazon)

Thats it..super easy, protective and can be done in the garage in about 45 min if you are pressed for time.

I was thinking of switching to Hydrosilex Recharge but i have so much Opti-Seal right now it wont be for a while unless someone can tell/show me that the Hydrosilex is that much better

NOTE: I do polish with a super super light cut the gloss black surfaces around the mirror because avoiding small swirls there is nearly impossible... Also I thought about opting for ceramic but i still dont believe its that much better if regular maintenance is performed...
i69fstop (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by MyGuti
no paint is perfect man. if you drive your car, it will have imperfections in the paint
Very true but it was pretty dang close!
Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I use Chemical Guys super snow foam liquid with power wash. Here is the link
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a Gunmetal RDX. It gets dirty easily -- especially living in Seattle with all the rain & dirty road spray.

I honestly just pay $7.99 and go through a Costco Car Wash. It does a really good job -- only need to wipe a car with a microfiber afterwards. No paint scratches/swirls or issues... and it does a better & faster job than I could.

Last edited by OliveBread; 12-13-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you use a car wash with brushes, your paint will have scratches.
Maybe because your new RDX has a fresh clear coat you may not seem them at first, but I can guarantee that you have swirls and scratches all over