Rockymounts platform bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Rockymounts platform bike rack

Hey guys, I bought a new bike rack for my RDX, the stock hitch is good with class 1 hitches, got mine from a company called rockymounts based out of Colorado, thought I would post some pictures, I really love it

Best part is sport+ mode feels like there is nothing on the back of my car when flooring it with the 2 bikes on 😂😂

Last edited by Dereileak; 04-04-2019 at 01:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dereileak:
Duna (04-04-2019), Marino Moutafis (04-07-2019), subin (04-04-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
well done, moderate size and does not look bulky to store during the off season.

Which of the rear camera views work best when the bike are on the mount?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marino Moutafis
well done, moderate size and does not look bulky to store during the off season.

Which of the rear camera views work best when the bike are on the mount?
i just use the normal view that gives a wide angle, I think it’s the one on the farthest left, it’s hard to judge how far things behind you are, but it works good enough with the bikes blocking a good portion of the view
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Thanks for posting. I didn't realize the hitch/mount takes so much extra to get it up high, but I guess that makes sense. Rack looks nice. I am down to Rocky, Kuat and 1Up.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EFR
Thanks for posting. I didn't realize the hitch/mount takes so much extra to get it up high, but I guess that makes sense. Rack looks nice. I am down to Rocky, Kuat and 1Up.
its been a great bike rack so far, easy to use, super good quality, I got it on backcountry.com for $340 shipped with a 20% off coupon, bike rack has cleared everything I have driven on so far, even the ramp going out of our underground garage
Old 04-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

So the bike rack was a bit crooked when mounted which drove me nuts, I had rocky mounts send me out a new part that connects into the hitch thinking it was that, but it was still crooked the same amount. Turns out there is a little bit of adjustment that can be done with the bolts that mount to the car, not much but enough. So I spent a few hours adjusting and lining up things and I got it almost perfect, good enough for me to be happy at least.

Before:

After:

Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
[QUOTE=Dereileak;16419125]So the bike rack was a bit crooked when mounted which drove me nuts, I had rocky mounts send me out a new part that connects into the hitch thinking it was that, but it was still crooked the same amount. Turns out there is a little bit of adjustment that can be done with the bolts that mount to the car, not much but enough. So I spent a few hours adjusting and lining up things and I got it almost perfect, good enough for me to be happy at least.

Which bolts? The ones that connect the hitch to the body of the car? Actually, there are two sets on each side: three that connect an adapter bracket to the car body, horizontally, and two that connect the hitch to the bracket, vertically.

I think adjusting the bracket could affect the tilt of the hitch. But you don't want anything loose after you're done. Losing a trailer or bike rack on the Interstate is bad.

I seem to recall a thread where someone didn't like the twist of the OEM hitch receiver after he DIY installed it, so he had the dealer try to remove it and replace with a different one. That didn't go well.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Wander;16419152]
Originally Posted by Dereileak
So the bike rack was a bit crooked when mounted which drove me nuts, I had rocky mounts send me out a new part that connects into the hitch thinking it was that, but it was still crooked the same amount. Turns out there is a little bit of adjustment that can be done with the bolts that mount to the car, not much but enough. So I spent a few hours adjusting and lining up things and I got it almost perfect, good enough for me to be happy at least.

Which bolts? The ones that connect the hitch to the body of the car? Actually, there are two sets on each side: three that connect an adapter bracket to the car body, horizontally, and two that connect the hitch to the bracket, vertically.

I think adjusting the bracket could affect the tilt of the hitch. But you don't want anything loose after you're done. Losing a trailer or bike rack on the Interstate is bad.

I seem to recall a thread where someone didn't like the twist of the OEM hitch receiver after he DIY installed it, so he had the dealer try to remove it and replace with a different one. That didn't go well.
yea I loosened both sets of bolts, first the ones that connect the hitch to the brackets, 4 total, that pretty much let’s you shift the hitch left or right but not much for rotation clockwise or counter clockwise or turning it right or left, I then loosened the bolts that connect the brackets to the frame of the car (6 total), these don’t have much play In them but it lets you shift it slightly forward and back and each side up and down maybe 3-4mm, so I shifted the ones that were on the right up as far as possible and the ones on the left down all the way, I also was able to get the hitch to be lined up left and right and forwards and back so the bike rack is equally close to the car. I then tightened everything back down to spec, they have a procedure to do about half torque on all the bolts then full torque, basically followed the install procedure for tightening.

i like tinkering around so I spent 3 hours trying several adjustments until I ended up with what I have, as good as it’s gonna get, honestly before adjusting with just the hitch itself you couldn’t tell it was off at all, but the bike rack makes the smallest amount of adjustment it is off by be more visible, I am happy with the results