Replacing Front Wiper Blade insert for very low cost!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019 | 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Replacing Front Wiper Blade insert for very low cost!

Hello everyone,

I need to say that I only suggest an alternative solution to wiper blade insert. For me, an DIY is useful when you same money so that's why I take the time to share with you a very good solution to save money.
I own my RDX since 4 month now and I must admit that the original wiper are already showing end of life. For the past 4 month I used them in Cold and hard Quebec Winter and now they are leaving a very thin film of water on my windshield. Here in Canada price at dealer are like 50% more then USA so refill are cheaper then buying new wiper but still for a 4 month life it's not really good deal.
I like that my Wiper clean dry my windshield!!. I know that some people keep them as long as they rip off but for me if they are not wipe dry my windshield they are not doing there job anymore.

I bought 4 26''x6mm universal Silicone refill blade on Ebay for 4$ Canadian. Equal to 1$ per wiper!! come from china so be prepare for 1-2 month shipping
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4X-26-6mm-Un...72.m2749.l2649
For people that love Amazon, you can buy them over there but they are like 10$ so there is no deal to do here!!

I re-used the Original Wiper frame that come with the car, in this example is used the smallest wiper since the longest (26'') is already replaced.

This is the small wiper with the original blade. the blade is about 17'' long

Now you need to remove the blade, there is one side that you can pull the blade and expose the gap where you can pullout the blade. the other side is hold by a stopper molded in the blade (you will see it in another picture)

Now the blade can be pulled out easily. try to free up the other side by pulling it the same way, it may stop at the middle of the wiper, but keep working until completely out

that's the stopper that may give you some effort.

Wiper frame without blade

Now it's time to cut the blade the same length then the original one, I cut exactly the same lenght then original, but if you cut it 1-2mm shorter it could help you with the last steps.

this is a comparison between the Universal blade and the Honda blade. I would say that there is about 1mm in height on the universal vs OEM.

Now reinsert the Universal blade by sliding the same side where you slide out the old one. you must slide the blade in the first grove of the blade. Anyway you wont be able to slide it in another way!

Now at the middle, it become more hard. work it out by pulling and pushing to clear up the middle of the wiper. it's take some time. You may add some soap to lubricate but it work without anything.

When you have completely inserted the blade, make sure that you push back the blade and reinsert the grove in the very end part of the wiper frame. the blade must be inserted correctly in the plastic end. again, push and pull the blade to correctly insert the last few mm in the plastic end cap. that secure the blade and it will not come out.

Job done, blade replaced. look brand new and work like new! I've test it and they work like brand new wiper. they wiper dry my windshield like I expect. The edge of the wiper blade is sharp and you can feal it, that make your windshield dry after a pass of a wipe!
They are in Silicone, they should last longer then rubber blade. and even that, at 1$ for a blade, I don't mind replacing every 4-6 month.

Hope that you enjoy saving money and find this DIY useful

Last edited by BiOs2k; 03-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BiOs2k:
bluntman72 (03-26-2019), catbert430 (03-26-2019), GW208 (03-26-2019), hcp (08-25-2022), subin (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019 | 02:54 PM
Pro

I've done the same procedure with genuine Honda inserts.
It's nice to know that silicone blades are available for such a low price.
I change my blades at least twice a year on the front and once a year on the rear..

Merci.