Blackout! Turning an Advanced into an A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That wrap looks good. Did you remove the trim pieces to do it or leave everything on the car?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Thank you!

Those are RTX Envy, pretty much TSW Nurburgring replica. They are the same size as the A-spec rims.

It would be nice to remove the trim pieces but I didn't haha. I wasn't quite sure how they can be removed and I was worried about scratching/breaking something if I do try to remove.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone try buying the Aspec trim accents from an online store and try replacing the chrome accent pieces with that? Please let me know if you did and how was that experience. I see that some of those trim pieces are available for purchase from an online store (Bernadi I guess), and I would be more comfortable doing that if those parts can be replaced without scratching the car.. Let me know guys..

BTW I ended up buying the Advance package (Black color) and trying to convert that to all black to match the aspec version.. I've grown to love the interior of the advance as well. Didnt think i would like the wood material on the inside, but it is growing on me.. love the car so far..
Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a blacked out A-Spec and am considering replacing the trim around the grill with the chrome just to add a bit more contrast to the front.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
I have a blacked out A-Spec and am considering replacing the trim around the grill with the chrome just to add a bit more contrast to the front.
I'm wondering if you can work out a trade with someone...chrome for black out?
Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Saandeep Mani
Did anyone try buying the Aspec trim accents from an online store and try replacing the chrome accent pieces with that? Please let me know if you did and how was that experience. I see that some of those trim pieces are available for purchase from an online store (Bernadi I guess), and I would be more comfortable doing that if those parts can be replaced without scratching the car.. Let me know guys..

BTW I ended up buying the Advance package (Black color) and trying to convert that to all black to match the aspec version.. I've grown to love the interior of the advance as well. Didnt think i would like the wood material on the inside, but it is growing on me.. love the car so far..
How do you feel about the headliner? The fact that I can't get a black headliner with Advanced is seriously making me consider going to the Germans. Petty, I know, just how I feel. Not that sold on the wood trim either, but I'm more interested in having an all black interior.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias1431
How do you feel about the headliner? The fact that I can't get a black headliner with Advanced is seriously making me consider going to the Germans. Petty, I know, just how I feel. Not that sold on the wood trim either, but I'm more interested in having an all black interior.
Just get an aspec, I know what you mean tho, almost everyone would of paid for an advanced + aspec package if it could be combined
97ws6 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
Just get an aspec, I know what you mean tho, almost everyone would of paid for an advanced + aspec package if it could be combined
I glad you said "almost"
Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
Acoustic glass, adaptive dampers, and the HUD far outweigh the Aspec interior and wheels for me.
Dochorahan (10-19-2022)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias1431
Acoustic glass, adaptive dampers, and the HUD far outweigh the Aspec interior and wheels for me.
Yes, that last part “for me”. Those features are not good enough for me in my decision making. Acoustic glass if I recall is that for the sides (passengers & driver only)? I think the windshield is acoustic glass on A-spec. Active dampers when they get old and broken repairs can be hefty. Plus the RDX is also quiet and smooth on well paved roads. I plan to keep the RDX for a long time. HUD is not so much important to me either. I can get an after market one if need be. Not fancy integration with the car Navigation though.

What turned me off on the Advanced was not the price difference. Smaller wheels, terrible looking rims and red interior. The looks is more important to me. If I could get A-Spec look and Advance features I would in a heart beat.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm looking at doing some chrome delete on my AWD Tech, including the chrome up around the door windows and the piece that is above the rear most small windows. However, I can't find a good online parts diagram really anywhere that gives me the A-Spec part numbers for the black replacement pieces. Does anyone know what the two part numbers are for these? Also, is there an online OEM parts site that actually has full and zoomable parts diagrams? I'm also not sure where I am going to get these parts. It seems like the savings from the online parts places just get money back in shipping vs. dealing with a local dealer. Here is the part I'm looking for in black for the L and R sides:

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chappyja
I'm looking at doing some chrome delete on my AWD Tech, including the chrome up around the door windows and the piece that is above the rear most small windows. However, I can't find a good online parts diagram really anywhere that gives me the A-Spec part numbers for the black replacement pieces. Does anyone know what the two part numbers are for these? Also, is there an online OEM parts site that actually has full and zoomable parts diagrams? I'm also not sure where I am going to get these parts. It seems like the savings from the online parts places just get money back in shipping vs. dealing with a local dealer. Here is the part I'm looking for in black for the L and R sides:

Wow, so this gets interesting now as it appears that the chrome piece there is part of the actual glass, so the glass will have to be replaced if I do a chrome delete using A-SPEC replacement parts. That $135 each side.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Are you ok with wrap, or going el-cheapo with some p-dip?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Advanced

Well, I've never messed with that, so probably will do a "partial" chrome delete. I am doing the front and the black sides with A-SPEC parts, but leaving above the windows. When I bought mine, it had the chrome roof rails, so I'm not going to physically replace those and there is also a touch of chrome still on the front badge and the rear badging. So, I guess my project, for now, will be a partial delete.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Well, the sides are done so far. These are the Aspec replacement parts...
The following 2 users liked this post by chappyja:
19 RDX A-Spec (01-18-2021), MrmissmyTLX (01-23-2020)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Null and proud of it

That looks good for now! It's a simple nlend of sport and luxury! Love that it's PRP!!!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the sides are done so far. These are the Aspec replacement parts...
What are part numbers for this? How hard was it to install? Cost?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced

I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go with wrap/vinyl, Plastidip, etc. but I chose to stick with the OEM Aspec replacement parts that I got from Curry. The part numbers for these parts are:

Garnish Assembly, L Front Door Middle *NH547* (Berlina Black) 72352tjba11za
Garnish Assembly, R Front Door Middle *NH547* (Berlina Black) 72312tjba11za
Garnish Assembly, L Rear Door Middle *NH547* (Berlina Black) 72852tjba11za
Garnish Assembly, R Rear Door Middle *NH547* (Berlina Black) 72812tjba11za

Those 4 parts delivered were just over $170, so again, not the cheap route. Also, when removing the chrome plastic off, since it is held on by about 8 clips and adhesive, there was almost no way to preserve the pieces. The good news is once off, the new part come with new adhesive and all new clips, so I was able to use a diluted alcohol spray to clean the area really good and then the new pieces popped right on.

I also got the Aspec parts for the front, but I haven't installed those yet. Since the entire front of my RDX is PPF'd, I'm having the parts done and then I need to carve out time to investigate what is involved with the grill trim and lower chrome swap entails. If anyone is close to Raleigh and knows how to do this sort of thing, PM me LOL.
TEAMSLO (12-30-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go with wrap/vinyl, Plastidip, etc. but I chose to stick with the OEM Aspec replacement parts that I got from Curry. The part numbers for these parts are:

Those 4 parts delivered were just over $170, so again, not the cheap route. Also, when removing the chrome plastic off, since it is held on by about 8 clips and adhesive, there was almost no way to preserve the pieces. The good news is once off, the new part come with new adhesive and all new clips, so I was able to use a diluted alcohol spray to clean the area really good and then the new pieces popped right on.

I also got the Aspec parts for the front, but I haven't installed those yet. Since the entire front of my RDX is PPF'd, I'm having the parts done and then I need to carve out time to investigate what is involved with the grill trim and lower chrome swap entails. If anyone is close to Raleigh and knows how to do this sort of thing, PM me LOL.
Thank you. How long did it take to take off the side chrome pieces? Also, what parts did you buy for the front? I am thinking about starting with the front grill and two other chrome pieces too. However, I am not sure what is involved to remove the front chrome grill part? I received a quote from my dealer and they said to do the two front bumper chrome pieces and chrome grill surround it would be $200 for install which seems pricey to me.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced

These are the parts that I got for the front:

Molding, Front Grille Surround 71122tjba50
Garnish, L Front Bumper Trim 71109tjba50
Garnish, R Front Bumper Trim 71104tjba50

Again, not cheap - around $250 for these 3 pieces. I think the front bumper needs to be lowered or removed to get to the screws to the remove the grill bezel. The other interesting thing is that the black Aspec lower trim pieces to replace the chrome ones are a different shape all together. It appears that the honeycomb black plastic piece behind it is the same on the Aspec vs. the Tech, but I need more information to see how the new piece attaches. Here are the pics for the different pieces to compare.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

These are the parts that I got for the front:

Molding, Front Grille Surround 71122tjba50
Garnish, L Front Bumper Trim 71109tjba50
Garnish, R Front Bumper Trim 71104tjba50

Again, not cheap - around $250 for these 3 pieces. I think the front bumper needs to be lowered or removed to get to the screws to the remove the grill bezel. The other interesting thing is that the black Aspec lower trim pieces to replace the chrome ones are a different shape all together. It appears that the honeycomb black plastic piece behind it is the same on the Aspec vs. the Tech, but I need more information to see how the new piece attaches. Here are the pics for the different pieces to compare.

Yes, I noticed that two on the two front pieces: 71104-TJB-A50 and 71109tjba50. Will the aspec black piece fit? That was the concern I had before doing it. I also looked at the grill further today and I cannot 100% determine if bumper needs to be removed. I was going to mess around more later today. Let me know what you find out about the two front pieces being different than the tech.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

How did you get side pieces off? Plastic putty knife? And how long did it take? Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced

It first started with a call to my brother-in-law who is a higher up at a chain of collision places in SW Michigan to make sure I didn't screw something up I used a plastic trim removal tool to slowly work the end at the door opening side on the front doors, while the door was open. Once I got the trim started, I closed the door and I slowly worked it off to break the adhesive loose, which got me to each of the plastic clips. Some popped right out and some were not easy at all. I just slowly worked it down until the whole piece was off. Then I used a diluted rubbing alcohol spray on a micro fiber to clean that whole area really good. Then I aligned the new piece's clips, peeled the tape from the adhesive and the new piece popped back on. The entire job was about 30-45 minutes.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

It first started with a call to my brother-in-law who is a higher up at a chain of collision places in SW Michigan to make sure I didn't screw something up I used a plastic trim removal tool to slowly work the end at the door opening side on the front doors, while the door was open. Once I got the trim started, I closed the door and I slowly worked it off to break the adhesive loose, which got me to each of the plastic clips. Some popped right out and some were not easy at all. I just slowly worked it down until the whole piece was off. Then I used a diluted rubbing alcohol spray on a micro fiber to clean that whole area really good. Then I aligned the new piece's clips, peeled the tape from the adhesive and the new piece popped back on. The entire job was about 30-45 minutes.
WOW that doesn't sound bad at all. Thank you!! Let me know what you figure out about the two chrome pieces and front grill as I am looking to do these too.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced

Well, I confirmed I need a few more parts but at least the bumper is the same. The honeycomb behind the chrome piece and above the fog lamps is a different piece.. more $$$$$. I know the parts to get but have to order them. Here is the difference in closer up pics.

RDX crew (01-16-2022)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
this forum is getting more and more interesting ... keep it up guys.. I am also tempted and will go with p-dip. But I don't want all chrome to black so trying to find the right balance.

Any RTP/Raleigh/Cary area guys want to meet-up ???
Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

I just started taking mine off...I used a putty knife to pull some of the adhesive off. Did you just continue to pull until you hit a clip and then pulled with your hands? These seem to be stuck on very well.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I used my hands as best as I could to pop them out. I'd wear some rubber gloves or something because it can be pinchy, especially if you are trying to not damage the clips or the molding itself. Since I was replacing all of it with the new stuff, I used a bit more force than if I was trying to not damage the pieces.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, I used my hands as best as I could to pop them out. I'd wear some rubber gloves or something because it can be pinchy, especially if you are trying to not damage the clips or the molding itself. Since I was replacing all of it with the new stuff, I used a bit more force than if I was trying to not damage the pieces.
Perfect! Thank you. I am ordering now! I am pumped....didn't know it would be this easy. Did you ever think of goo gone to remove adhesive or did rubbing alcohol and micro fiber work well?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

Well, I confirmed I need a few more parts but at least the bumper is the same. The honeycomb behind the chrome piece and above the fog lamps is a different piece.. more $$$$$. I know the parts to get but have to order them. Here is the difference in closer up pics.

What other parts are needed? Can you send full parts list for two front pieces?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wendtdc13
Perfect! Thank you. I am ordering now! I am pumped....didn't know it would be this easy. Did you ever think of goo gone to remove adhesive or did rubbing alcohol and micro fiber work well?
There was no glue left on the door panels. I just used the Alcohol spray to clean and wipe off the dirt, etc. that was behind the molding
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wendtdc13
What other parts are needed? Can you send full parts list for two front pieces?
I don't want to post any more parts until I can confirm that what I ordered was correct - then I'll post all of these parts with pics in one posting with the costs, etc. and any "gotchas" to help people do it easier than what it took me to do it
Old 06-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

There was no glue left on the door panels. I just used the Alcohol spray to clean and wipe off the dirt, etc. that was behind the molding
Thank you. Did you have any concern breaking or bending any pieces on the physical door?
Old 06-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Also, is there adhesive on the new parts such as 72352-TJB-A11ZA, etc?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

I don't want to post any more parts until I can confirm that what I ordered was correct - then I'll post all of these parts with pics in one posting with the costs, etc. and any "gotchas" to help people do it easier than what it took me to do it
I’d love to chat more if possible. Can you send me your Facebook name to chat with you via messenger?

Here is me: https://m.facebook.com/daniel.charles.733
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Coolguy
this forum is getting more and more interesting ... keep it up guys.. I am also tempted and will go with p-dip. But I don't want all chrome to black so trying to find the right balance.

Any RTP/Raleigh/Cary area guys want to meet-up ???
Sorry, I am not. I would love to help otherwise. I changed the SH-AWD and RDX logos to black chrome. I will be doing the two side chrome pieces to black tonight! I will send pictures soon!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Ok, quick update on my end. Just finished the black chrome RDX and SH-AWD badges to replace the chrome from the factory. They definitely aren't "black" compared to the other black ASpec pieces. The part numbers are:

RDX Logo is: 08F20-TJB-200
SH-AWD Logo is: 08F20-TZ3-200A

Instructions are here from another link on the forum: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-03.PDF

Both parts shipped to me from Curry was just about $75.

Install was pretty easy as I'm not a seasoned mechanic. Maybe 45 mins total and I took my time not to make any mistakes. Printed out and read the instructions to make sure I had everything I needed. For the nylon string I used dental floss. Probably went through about 4 feet of it with the breaks, but once I got about 50% through the factory badging, I was able to do gently peel the rest off. Once it was entirely off, I gently removed the remaining glue/tape and then used a micro fiber towel with some diluted alcohol spray to clean the area really good. I am including a before, after and one that shows the difference when you literally hold the regular chrome next to the black chrome, so you can all see the difference for yourself.

The following 3 users liked this post by chappyja:
19 RDX A-Spec (01-18-2021), 97ws6 (06-13-2019), Ludepower (11-22-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Ok, quick update on my end. Just finished the black chrome RDX and SH-AWD badges to replace the chrome from the factory. They definitely aren't "black" compared to the other black ASpec pieces. The part numbers are:

RDX Logo is: 08F20-TJB-200
SH-AWD Logo is: 08F20-TZ3-200A

Instructions are here from another link on the forum: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-03.PDF

Both parts shipped to me from Curry was just about $75.

Install was pretty easy as I'm not a seasoned mechanic. Maybe 45 mins total and I took my time not to make any mistakes. Printed out and read the instructions to make sure I had everything I needed. For the nylon string I used dental floss. Probably went through about 4 feet of it with the breaks, but once I got about 50% through the factory badging, I was able to do gently peel the rest off. Once it was entirely off, I gently removed the remaining glue/tape and then used a micro fiber towel with some diluted alcohol spray to clean the area really good. I am including a before, after and one that shows the difference when you literally hold the regular chrome next to the black chrome, so you can all see the difference for yourself.

Looks amazing! I did mine last week too!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

I have done the sides and emblems too!!!

chappyja (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Null and proud of it

That's a cool color!

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 06-13-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: No w!

Quick Reply: Blackout! Turning an Advanced into an A-Spec