USB Port not reading my thumb drive...intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
USB Port not reading my thumb drive...intermittent

I usually plug my phone in to use Apple Car Play, but when I am running a bunch of errands, I prefer using a thumb drive with a ton of my music stored on it. It usually works just fine, but lately I am getting an intermittent “USB Error”, or “No media on device”. When that happens, I go to my Sirius XM or just go back to my Apple Cr Play. I stopped at the dealer and the service writer told me that there is a big system update coming from Acura that will fix the USB issues.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have intermittent issues with mine too. Most times, it works great. Then there are times I get the dreaded squelch/song skip issue and other times the system will take 5+ minutes to initialize.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
All I can say is "Welcome to the Club."
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Racer

Just a follow up: I found some ideas on the Apple CarPlay thread and am trying to remember to turn the sound system “OFF” when I leave the vehicle, and then give it a minute while I back out of my garage or parking place and then turn it ON. This has worked really well so far....
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar issue here. I also have a lot of music on a flash drive and have used it in other vehicles without issue. I like to just let play the songs in alphabetical order. Most times when I restart the car, it will pick up in a completely different spot and then continue to play the rest of the songs on that particular album and then go to the next album. I switch it back to playing songs and it may work for a drive cycle or two then revert to albums. Also, periodically it will get stuck on "initializing" upon start up and I have to disconnect & reconnect the flash drive. I'm going to try to remember to turn it off as Padre Dave suggested but really, we shouldn't have to jump through these hoops just to listen to music. Hopefully the upcoming update mentioned above will fix all of this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan-M:
Padre Dave (05-13-2019), TSXChef (05-19-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Racer

Just a quick update. Thanks to Dan-M and your observation. Since writing the above post, I have had better experience. I made a USB stick with a different format of songs....trying to learn about 5.1, Blue-Ray, etc on our units. So, the new stick has been starting up each time I use it. Today, I got gutsy and pulled the new stick out and replaced it with the old one, and it worked within 15 seconds. That’s what it’s supposed to do, right?

I wish I could say I did an exorcism or something, but nope....initialization is taking less time too. I don’t know why or how, but it is better.....

Your mileage may vary......
Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If you guys are going to just let the music play straight through, you may want to either create playlists of randomized songs or use an file naming program to add a random number to the front of the filenames to create a random order. I personally go crazy when the system turns random off and just starts playing them in native order when I am looking for a mix of music. (haven't tried either of these on RDX yet, but they work on other systems)

Does anyone know if the fact that the sound system supposedly plays the files in the order they were written to the disc would keep the file number scheme from working?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you select "songs" from the menu it starts with the first song in alphabetical order. The rub is, if it reverts to albums (which it does on restart most of the time) and you go back and select "songs" again it goes back to the beginning so every time it happens you are either going to listen to the same music or have to scroll down to wherever you left off.
They really need to get their software together, I've used this stick in a '14 Chevy Silverado and an '11 Honda Pilot without issue. I have hundreds of songs on this stick and it would be nice to listen without having to constantly screw around with it.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried a bunch of usb drives (32, 64, 128gb) and multiple formats (fat32, exfat, ntfs) and they all take forever to intialize.