No FREE Map Updates for Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
Angry No FREE Map Updates for Acura!

So, I just found out why the 2019 RDX map update was removed from their site. I spoke with Acura directly and was told that HERE does not support FREE map updates and neither does Acura for any of their vehicles. It is only a Honda "thing" through their new relationship with Garmin. The update from HERE was taken down once someone at HERE realized it was posted in error and, indeed, is NOT free. Very unhappy and disappointed to hear as, I believe, we were told by our dealer, the updates were free for a period of time.

Now you all know why the 2019 update is no longer listed and, possibly, why some of you that did the download are having issues because it wasn't fully "baked" either according to Acura. Can't wait to hear the comments posted but this has been an ongoing case for me since the end of October and now it's over with no recourse.

Happy Friday everyone!
The following 2 users liked this post by securityguy:
jon33 (12-11-2018), oblio98 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Considering how much misinformation has come down to us from various calls to Acura, I guess we have to wait and see.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I received a call back from Acura Tech Support. They stated that there will be an OTA map update released in the near future that will be free but stated that all additional updates will need to be paid for. I assume the map update will follow the NAV firmware update that is supposed to be released OTA on December 12. As @Madd Dog stated above...so much misinformation, I'm not sure who to believe anymore but HERE did state that they do NOT provide free map updates...period.

Time will tell but this is what I currently have to share.
The following users liked this post:
jon33 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
I don’t get why anyone would use the navigation that’s built in, apple maps and google maps are 1000% better in the first place
Old 12-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I don’t get why anyone would use the navigation that’s built in, apple maps and google maps are 1000% better in the first place
Convenience (especially for my wife), and the upcoming turns show up in the heads up display.
securityguy (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
believe it or not.....not everyone has a smart phone!!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I saved the October nav build if anyone really wants it, when I installed it, I didnt notice any real difference. Only issue is I get a pop up after putting in destination that the maps is out of date. But it still navigates fine.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
They may say one thing on the phone but the quote below is in writing on the press release introducing the 2019 RDX. It seems like they might be in some sort of a mess if they try to go back on a promise. Hopefully, this is just more messed up info like when they told me that AcuraLink does not report tire pressure after mine quit for a short while. The contact person actually thanked me for informing them that it does report.

https://www.acura.com/news-and-press...90-en#exterior The info is way down the release under Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition features summary:

"The RDX's all-new navigation system, developed in cooperation with HERE, offers many improvements, including enhanced graphics, customized vehicle icons, 3D buildings and terrain, turn-by-turn directions displayed in the instrument cluster and more. The system includes free quarterly map database updates for five years. The system includes the HD Digital Traffic feature, which alerts the driver to current traffic conditions and can display alternate routes around gridlock. It features expanded coverage including many surface streets within the U.S., allowing the driver to choose faster, less congested routes. HD Digital Traffic is subscription-free."
The following 5 users liked this post by fodder:
DrWoo (12-07-2018), jon33 (12-11-2018), Madd Dog (12-07-2018), securityguy (12-07-2018), subin (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
^^^ I KNEW I read that somewhere but couldn't find it. Now to see what will actually happen.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
My guess would be Semantics. When I picked mine up I was told free for a certain period as part of the AcuraLink subscription, so acura “foots the bill” so to speak for a certain period of time, but when you’re calling HERE they are saying it’s not free because they don’t know you have an AcuraLink subscription. That’s just a guess and I could be way off.

As for why it was taken down - I would guess it was put up prematurely and we will likely see the update back up there after the software update is rolled out.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
I don't think AcuraLink has anything to do with it, although that is another fertile source of misinformation.

I think they are just trying to get their act together, and eventually we will get our 5 years of quarterly updates irrespective of whether we pay for an AcuraLink subscription.

The map updates are not communicated via the AcuraLink cellular service.

Nav traffic is communicated via HD radio, not AcuraLink, no matter what misinformation you may receive about this.

The map updates do require a valid VIN.

Although the map updates are provided by HERE, our RDXs do not have a HERE/Garmin navigation system. They have a HERE/Acura navigation system. This is brand spanking new, for better or worse. We are beta testers.

As for built-in Nav vs smartphone apps, built-in doesn't require cellular service. Ever. Shockingly, there are places that don't have cellular service, and RDX can take you there. CarPlay is a bit half-baked IMO, especially the ( lack of ) support for the absolute positioning trackpad. And navigating with a hand-held smartphone while driving is dangerous and irresponsible. No different from texting.

Last edited by Wander; 12-08-2018 at 12:12 AM.
jon33 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
My guess would be Semantics. When I picked mine up I was told free for a certain period as part of the AcuraLink subscription, so acura “foots the bill” so to speak for a certain period of time, but when you’re calling HERE they are saying it’s not free because they don’t know you have an AcuraLink subscription. That’s just a guess and I could be way off.

As for why it was taken down - I would guess it was put up prematurely and we will likely see the update back up there after the software update is rolled out.

Good try but AcuraLink has ZERO to do with this equation.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
I don't think AcuraLink has anything to do with it, although that is another fertile source of misinformation.

Although the map updates are provided by HERE, our RDXs do not have a HERE/Garmin navigation system. They have a HERE/Acura navigation system. This is brand spanking new, for better or worse. We are beta testers.
Not really sure what you're trying to say here. There is no such thing as a HERE/Garmin system. You either have a HERE OR you have a GARMIN...cannot be both as they are competing platforms. We have an ACURA Nav system that runs on the HERE platform. Without HERE, we would have no maps and a NAV head unit that did nothing.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
Good try but AcuraLink has ZERO to do with this equation.
like I said I was basing a major guess off what the dealer told Me. Nothing else. A lot of misinformation out there. My dealer didn’t even know about the upcoming software update. I told them! 😆
Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
The map updates are not communicated via the AcuraLink cellular service.
"The system includes free map database updates for up to five years that can be uploaded to the vehicle via the RDX's available 4G LTE in-car Wi-Fi." - 2019 Acura RDX Press Kit - Acura News
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Not really sure what you're trying to say here. There is no such thing as a HERE/Garmin system. You either have a HERE OR you have a GARMIN...cannot be both as they are competing platforms. We have an ACURA Nav system that runs on the HERE platform. Without HERE, we would have no maps and a NAV head unit that did nothing.
The friendly salesman I purchased the RDX from guaranteed me this was an all new Garmin system. I can't believe I was deceived by a car salesman! It sure doesn't perform nearly as well as my $99 10 year old portable garmin unit.
securityguy (12-09-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 AM
Drifting

HERE supplies the road map data for Garmin systems, both standalone Garmin systems and the built-in software Nav solution Garmin is supplying to auto manufacturers, including Honda. I had the Garmin built-in Nav in my previous 2016 Pilot, but IIRC the head unit was manufactured by Clarion. No Garmin hardware AFAIK, but Garmin supplies the Nav software.

The Nav system in our 2019 RDXs runs Nav software that is supposedly a "cooperative venture" between HERE and Acura, although I don't have a clue who does what aside from creating bugs. I think Pioneer manufactures the head unit, but I could be wrong. HERE supplies the map data.

The Nav system in most other Acuras is designed and manufactured by Alpine, and uses map data supplied by HERE ( or NAVTEQ, which was the previous incarnation of HERE ).

So yes, AFAIK HERE provides the map data for all modern Acuras, irrespective of whether they have software/hardware from Alpine, Garmin ( 2nd-gen NSX ), or Acura/HERE. That's why if you look for map updates you always end up at a HERE website.

But the Alpine/Acura systems are DVD based, and you always have to purchase a DVD to update the maps. The cost for each update is $149, or $99 if you wait awhile. I have a stack of map update discs from our 2014 MDX and 2005 MDX.

The updates for our 2019 RDXs are not DVD based, and the map updates can be applied by downloading the map data to a USB thumb drive. I have snagged two updates so far, at no cost. We are supposed to get quarterly updates for 5 years at no cost. ( HERE typically releases updates quarterly for Garmin stand-alone systems with "lifetime map updates" ). What happens after 5 years is uncertain. I have no intention of buying AT&T 4G LTE service for my vehicle, so I don't really care if that works, but considering they can't even seem to get the USB thing working reliably I'm not very optimistic.

But there is no indication that said paid LTE service ( for in-car WiFi ) should be required to install map updates. And technically, I believe this is separate from AcuraLink anyway. AcuraLink subscriptions are completely independent of the in-car WiFi system. Presumably they use the same telematics unit in the vehicle, but the subscription plans are completely separate.

Obviously, Acura "customer service" reps aren't up-to-speed, and it seems HERE "customer service" reps are equally clueless. The latter I find somewhat more surprising than the former. Whatever.

I find it completely unsurprising that sales associates are FOS. There is no Garmin system in our 2019 RDXs.

Last edited by Wander; 12-10-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Drifting

There is no Garmin system in our 2019 RDXs.
Correction. There is no Garmin system in my 2019 RDX unless I get fed up and stick a stand-alone Garmin somewhere on my dash.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:55 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe by "up to five years" Acurameant never....I mean, never is included in up to 5 years, right?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Just as an FYI...I bought my son and my mother a 2018 Accord Touring. When there are map updates available, they take you to a Garmin site to update your maps...not a HERE site or navigation.com.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Just as an FYI...I bought my son and my mother a 2018 Accord Touring. When there are map updates available, they take you to a Garmin site to update your maps...not a HERE site or navigation.com.
Now that you mention it, I got my Honda/Garmin Nav system updates through Garmin Express. This is Mac or PC software that allows Garmin customers to be notified of and install updates to maps and software updates for all Garmin products, OEM automotive built-in NAV units included. Garmin express is downloaded from a Garmin website. Dunno from whence the Garmin Express software actually fetches the data. For the Honda OEM auto built-in, the map update can be written to a USB thumb drive and sneaker-netted to the vehicle. I am told that over-the-air updates are available for current Honda Odyssey, and I seem to recall that was hinted at for Pilot but it never happened while I owned the thing.

At least up to mid-2018, for 2016 Pilot, Nav software updates had to be applied by a dealer, or you could order a service part that had the software update on a USB thumb drive.

But AFAIK the road map data is supplied to Garmin by HERE, as it has been for a long time. I'm not sure about the source of TOPO data for Garmin hand-held units.

DVD update discs for Acura/Alpine units also have the HERE emblem and copyright notice.

Here's a link to the webpage for purchasing road maps for Garmin hand-held devices. Note the HERE emblem.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1456

Last edited by Wander; 12-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.
securityguy (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fodder
They may say one thing on the phone but the quote below is in writing on the press release introducing the 2019 RDX. It seems like they might be in some sort of a mess if they try to go back on a promise. Hopefully, this is just more messed up info like when they told me that AcuraLink does not report tire pressure after mine quit for a short while. The contact person actually thanked me for informing them that it does report.

https://www.acura.com/news-and-press...90-en#exterior The info is way down the release under Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition features summary:

"The RDX's all-new navigation system, developed in cooperation with HERE, offers many improvements, including enhanced graphics, customized vehicle icons, 3D buildings and terrain, turn-by-turn directions displayed in the instrument cluster and more. The system includes free quarterly map database updates for five years. The system includes the HD Digital Traffic feature, which alerts the driver to current traffic conditions and can display alternate routes around gridlock. It features expanded coverage including many surface streets within the U.S., allowing the driver to choose faster, less congested routes. HD Digital Traffic is subscription-free."
Great find! I printed the URL to a PDF file for safe keeping in case the web page gets "corrected" in the future removing the free five year statement. I'll just hold on to the PDF file for now until the dust settles. If Acura wipes its hands with respect to being involved with the map updates and states just go to HERE and get them there, paying what HERE charges, then the PDF file may at that time have a purpose.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Traffic Sign Recognition

Originally Posted by fodder

Fodder's link has another reference that I am interested in.
Has anyone seen an indication that the Traffic Sign Recognition system is functional as mentioned in the "Heads Up Display" section of the press release? According to the Honda user's site this is active reading of local speed signage, not just displaying the map database speeds. I have only got around 500 miles on my RDX Advanced, but it sure doesn't seem to catch the programmable speed limit signs on I-285 here in Atlanta.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:02 AM
Pro

This is an error. The 2019 RDX does not have camera-based Traffic Sign Recognition like some models such as the Accord. Instead, the speed limit in the RDX is displayed based on information from the navigation system on models so equipped (Technology, A-Spec, and Advance).
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Correct

Originally Posted by zroger73
This is an error. The 2019 RDX does not have camera-based Traffic Sign Recognition like some models such as the Accord. Instead, the speed limit in the RDX is displayed based on information from the navigation system on models so equipped (Technology, A-Spec, and Advance).
That is what I read also.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Advanced

If that is the case, then why would we assume anything else in the document is valid, such as the 5 years of map updates? Seems like pretty much the same issue.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
The Honda Accord does the traffic sign recognition.

As to your other question, everyone can believe whatever he wants. I believe I’ll have a beer.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
If that is the case, then why would we assume anything else in the document is valid, such as the 5 years of map updates? Seems like pretty much the same issue.
You have a valid point. Typically, Honda corrects such errors. I remember the press release for the Civic Si initially stated in error that model came with remote start, a single-mass flywheel, a CD player, and some other items. It was later corrected, but not before media outlets republished the incorrect information. Some errors make it all the way to the window stickers as was the case with walk-away auto lock feature on the lower Ridgeline trims and HD Radio on the CR-V EX-L without navigation. In those cases, Honda corrected the window stickers and gave customers who complained a small gift card and an apology.

Such errors are becoming increasingly common as vehicles become more sophisticated and Honda adds more trim combinations. Gone are the days of buying a Honda in DX, LX, or EX trim as the only choices with the most sophisticated component being a CD player.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Smile About that CD player...

Mad Dog,
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ZRoger73,

CD Player, that brings up another interesting topic...
Apparently earlier incarnations of the ELS top-o-da-line systems had a demo CD showing the wonders of all these speakers in surround sound flac files. Is there a place to get a digital version of these demo discs to really show off the system since the CD drive is now a thing of the past?

in the meantime, Donald Fagen and Keiko Matsui are providing some pretty darn good sonics.

Like I said, I am new here. Sorry for wandering so far off topic.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Pro

Mad Dog,
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ZRoger73,

CD Player, that brings up another interesting topic...
Apparently earlier incarnations of the ELS top-o-da-line systems had a demo CD showing the wonders of all these speakers in surround sound flac files. Is there a place to get a digital version of these demo discs to really show off the system since the CD drive is now a thing of the past?

in the meantime, Donald Fagen and Keiko Matsui are providing some pretty darn good sonics.

Like I said, I am new here. Sorry for wandering so far off topic.
Acura PR has USB drives containing 5.1 demos, but nothing for dealers or consumers.

I suggest not listening to these demo files. Once you hear what the ELS 3D system is capable of, it's hard to listen to all the normal sources.

This thread might be of some interest to you...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...p-step-971819/
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Advanced

I am already only listening to .flacs, so I am halfway down that road already...

What is Acura PR? All I see in Google is the Puerto Rico subsidiary. I am pretty sure that is not what you have in mind.

Thanks for the link, I found that about a week ago . Most of the referenced tools are pretty old, apparently the conversion of everyone to surround sound audio isn't moving as fast as the developers would like.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
What is "HERE" ?? (I see it in many of the posts in this thread.)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Pro

What is Acura PR? All I see in Google is the Puerto Rico subsidiary. I am pretty sure that is not what you have in mind.
http://acuranews.com/pages/contact-us

Originally Posted by Sounds
What is "HERE" ?? (I see it in many of the posts in this thread.)
https://www.here.com/about-us
Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Oh. Interesting. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keeping fingers crossed.