Apple Car Play & 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
You did exactly what I did...FACTORY DATA RESET.
OK. Sounds like it fixed it for you, too. What a great tip that was...
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (05-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by birdonamission
OK. Sounds like it fixed it for you, too. What a great tip that was...
Originally Posted by nuf
I was plagued with random carplay disconnects on my commute. On my hour commute, it was typical for my iphone to lose connection to carplay 2-3 times. The 3 finger reboot was only a temporary solution. What worked for me was performing a factory data reset. Settings->System->Factory Data Reset. It was a pain setting up all my radio and sirius presets all over again, but it's been over 2 weeks and I haven't had a single disconnect since.

RDX: D1.1.2
iPhone X: 12.2
Genuine Apple USB cable
Nuf,
Thanks for the suggestion. It has been working for me since resetting to factory default a couple days ago. This is the first time CarPlay has worked as expected. I have the same setup as you and have had this procedure performed to address the issue shortly after my August purchase date. It didn’t help so I’m guessing this is the first factory reset since the January firmware update. I say I’m guessing because I had the car in the shop in February for this and was told that the system had been rebooted. Apparently that meant something else! Anyway, I hope this lasts because like many others, I am frustrated with CarPlay not working for eight plus months! The slight inconvenience of reprogramming my favorites is of little consequence since I can now use nav apps w/o them dropping out and can listen to podcasts, streaming music, etc. uninterrupted. Thanks again!

Nuf
birdonamission (05-02-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 09:42 PM
8th Gear

Question Apple CarPlay mutes my phone during calls

When I use Apple CarPlay and either make or receive phone call, during the call the phone randomly gets muted, and people cannot hear me anymore. I can still hear them.
At first I thought it has to do with Waze - when it talks, it mutes the line and never un-mutes. However last time I wasn't using navigation, and it still did it. the only way to resolve it is to switch phone output to speaker or another Bluetooth earpiece and back. really frustrating, especially when it happens while driving. It's downright hazardous.
For now I am driving with Plantronics Bluetooth Earphone.
Has anyone experienced this? Who do I contact? I am sure the dealer would not know what to do. Should I call Acura, or is it Apple's problem?
firstacura19 (07-29-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by VladK
When I use Apple CarPlay and either make or receive phone call, during the call the phone randomly gets muted, and people cannot hear me anymore. I can still hear them.
At first I thought it has to do with Waze - when it talks, it mutes the line and never un-mutes. However last time I wasn't using navigation, and it still did it. the only way to resolve it is to switch phone output to speaker or another Bluetooth earpiece and back. really frustrating, especially when it happens while driving. It's downright hazardous.
Has anyone experienced this? Who do I contact? I am sure the dealer would not know what to do. Should I call Acura, or is it Apple's problem?
Have you performed the FACTORY DATA RESET? If you haven't yet...try that and see if it resolves your issue!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM
8th Gear

Have you performed the FACTORY DATA RESET? If you haven't yet...try that and see if it resolves your issue!
Is that just a wild guess? Or you tried and it worked?
id rather not do guesses like that considering there's significant time involved in setting everything up again.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 05-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

All I will say is that everyone that did the reset saw their radio behave 180 degrees from before. Mine is now super fast and trouble free. Highly suggest you try it. All you have to do is reprogram your radio station...not a big deal.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:46 PM
8th Gear

All I will say is that everyone that did the reset saw their radio behave 180 degrees from before. Mine is now super fast and trouble free. Highly suggest you try it. All you have to do is reprogram your radio station...not a big deal.
Doesn’t it also reset other clear settings? Like door lock/unlock, paired Bluetooth devices, other driver preference settings?
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 PM
8th Gear

Doesn’t it also reset other clear settings? Like door lock/unlock, paired Bluetooth devices, other driver preference settings?
Other car* settings.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

No...just the radio and NAV favorites.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
The infotainment system (CarPlay, SiriusXM, etc.) crapping out was my constant "entertainment" every time I went anywhere with the car...until I did the the factory data reset two weeks ago. Just came back from the Jersey Shore yesterday and it continued to work just fine during the entire 7-day trip to and from, which included a ferry trip across the Delaware Bay, and driving all over the place there. I didn't have a lot of favorites or shortcuts to re-enter but even if I did, no big deal in exchange for the stability and good behavior of the system now.

So no, he isn't just making a "wild guess" about this. This was also mentioned in several thread comments.
securityguy (05-13-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've done the factory reset and while it solves the ACP connection issue (Thank You Very Much!) it doesn't fix the issue you describe. I've found it happens within the first 5-10 minutes or so of connecting to ACP - and it's obviously only apparent when you are on the phone from the start. However, if you hang up and make another call it works fine from that point forward. I've not had it happen after 10 minutes or after the first occurrence and I drive a lot. So my solution is not to take a call or make one during this time. Not optimal but agree that messing with the phone trying to resolve it is dangerous.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that resetting the RDX's entertainment unit and re-pairing my phone via ACP fixed the random disconnects. Very helpful, thank you, everyone.

I will say that the one-way audio problem is still present. Very aggravating. I tried moving to Apple's latest public beta in hopes there was some magic in there but alas, issue persists.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
How do you do the full factory reset? Is it just a menu option in the settings?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spinedoc777
How do you do the full factory reset? Is it just a menu option in the settings?
Yes Sir...right in the Settings and you can't miss it
spinedoc777 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Racer

Yes Sir...right in the Settings and you can't miss it
Thanks. I gave it a try, and while setting up my XM favorites sure enough Carplay disconnected and then connected again.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The disconnects were a constant annoyance for months until we tried the reset, which solved the problem for us. I don't know why our dealer and Acura customer relations weren't able to help us with this (our dealer had supposedly reset EVERYTHING), but thank you to those who took the time to post in this thread!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

I'm experiencing the same issue. Factory Data Reset did not solve my issue. I've tried it and the dealer did it (without asking) when they didn't believe me - still have the audio mute issue. Only work-around I've found is to hit the "speaker" button on the phone and then switch it back to car. From that point onward it works. As others have mentioned in this thread, it only seems to happen in the first few minutes of a drive. No issues via bluetooth.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Racer

OK I'm going to update because it seems Acura doesn't deserve my anger this time around. After a factory reset the disconnect issue still occurred. Being convinced it was Acura's fault I didn't do anything else and the disconnects got worse. Yesterday I decided to try a different cable and yesterday and today no disconnects, zero. The cable that is at issue is an official Apple cable, but I guess like any other hardware sometimes they fail or have issues. So to anyone else try changing your cable out first to see if that's the culprit.
firstacura19 (07-29-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
OK I'm going to update because it seems Acura doesn't deserve my anger this time around. After a factory reset the disconnect issue still occurred. Being convinced it was Acura's fault I didn't do anything else and the disconnects got worse. Yesterday I decided to try a different cable and yesterday and today no disconnects, zero. The cable that is at issue is an official Apple cable, but I guess like any other hardware sometimes they fail or have issues. So to anyone else try changing your cable out first to see if that's the culprit.
Interesting, as I have had problems with various Lightning cables over the years. Sometimes the cheapest ones work best, but after sitting in the Arizona heat, they start doing what you described. Maybe the insulation breaks down. I even bought some on Facebook one time, and they stopped working....they are all from China these days. They were guaranteed for a year, so I sent a pic of the dead cables and the supplier sent me like 20 new cables! So, I keep a supply of different lengths and types at home and then swap them out and everything works again.

Be patient and realize that these are made in China or Vietnam and may or may not hold up.
spinedoc777 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
Interesting, as I have had problems with various Lightning cables over the years. Sometimes the cheapest ones work best, but after sitting in the Arizona heat, they start doing what you described. Maybe the insulation breaks down. I even bought some on Facebook one time, and they stopped working....they are all from China these days. They were guaranteed for a year, so I sent a pic of the dead cables and the supplier sent me like 20 new cables! So, I keep a supply of different lengths and types at home and then swap them out and everything works again.

Be patient and realize that these are made in China or Vietnam and may or may not hold up.
Yeah, being on the east coast my cables sit inside a freezing car for 3-4 months out of the year and in a boiling hot car for 3-4 months out of the year. Plus they are bent and kinked to fit with minimum show. The more I think about the more it makes sense that these fail more often than we think. The ones I have inside my house and work have lasted for years, but my house/work are climate controlled and the cables aren't bent or pressured.
securityguy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any tips that people are using to try to avoid the infotainment issues regarding carplay after almost a year since the car got released. yesterday was my first time using carplay in the car and the next ignition cycle already gave me a drive mode unavailable message. Thankfully nothing else happened and it resolved itself after the ignition cycle after that.

The things ive done to hopefully avoid carplay infotainment issues is to go into functional setup and turn off andoid auto, waiting for the infotainment to fully bootup before connecting my phone to the car and using a genuine apple cable. Any other helpful tips?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Am I to understand that, in order to use Apple CarPlay, you have to connect your phone using a USB cable? Bluetooth pairing won't do it?

(I have Android phones and, of course, no Android Auto in the car. Hence, my ignorance.)
Old 06-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Am I to understand that, in order to use Apple CarPlay, you have to connect your phone using a USB cable? Bluetooth pairing won't do it?

(I have Android phones and, of course, no Android Auto in the car. Hence, my ignorance.)
Both CarPlay and AA require a physical connection to the radio. No one has the capability to do either via BT.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
There are reports from people on the beta test list that the updated CarPlay in ios13 helps the stability of CarPlay and fixes alot of the issues. Ios13 rolls out public in sept.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
There are reports from people on the beta test list that the updated CarPlay in ios13 helps the stability of CarPlay and fixes alot of the issues. Ios13 rolls out public in sept.
Anedotally after all of one day of testing (so take with a huge grain of salt) I had zero issue driving around today using the ios13 public beta CarPlay. Also, all of the features worked, which was nice. (Split screen between apple maps and now playing... kind of redundant with the RDX’s split screen, but still nice.) I have had MAJOR problems with the system since I got it in September. Yes, I’ve done all the software updates, yes I’ve done the factory reset. Still have the random freezes, and TONS of skipping. Really crossing my fingers this iOS 13 will fix, but I think its more a problem with Acura’s system than Apples as my iPhone in my wife’s VW has performed without skipping a beat every time I use it.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jonarogers
Anedotally after all of one day of testing (so take with a huge grain of salt) I had zero issue driving around today using the ios13 public beta CarPlay. Also, all of the features worked, which was nice. (Split screen between apple maps and now playing... kind of redundant with the RDX’s split screen, but still nice.) I have had MAJOR problems with the system since I got it in September. Yes, I’ve done all the software updates, yes I’ve done the factory reset. Still have the random freezes, and TONS of skipping. Really crossing my fingers this iOS 13 will fix, but I think its more a problem with Acura’s system than Apples as my iPhone in my wife’s VW has performed without skipping a beat every time I use it.
Yeah ios13 won’t fix the system issues, I meant it was reportedly helping CarPlay specific issues. I’d expect an update from Acura in the fall once Apple updates their software and supposedly android auto is ready to go. Wouldn’t make sense to do a bug fix now and then have to do more incremental updates almost immediately.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Racer

I just installed the iOS 13 beta and the screen view of CarPlay is different and in my opinion better. Rather than the Now Playing that covered the whole left screen, the new screen contains a more proportional Now Playing screen with other info (I just saw it yesterday on the way home from Bible Study so I haven’t done a screen shot or equivalent yet.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
I just installed the iOS 13 beta and the screen view of CarPlay is different and in my opinion better. Rather than the Now Playing that covered the whole left screen, the new screen contains a more proportional Now Playing screen with other info (I just saw it yesterday on the way home from Bible Study so I haven’t done a screen shot or equivalent yet.

This is the screen with the new iOS from my phone to the Apple Car Play
markm929 (06-26-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Having just comeback from vacation, where I rented a Chevy Equinox that had CarPlay, I can say without reservation that ACURA is totally to blame for the issues with CarPlay and the Infotainment system. Apple carries no blame on the issues. CarPlay worked flawlessly. I could connect the USB before starting the car or after and no annoying hiccups in sound. I return to my RDX and first connection music starts hiccuping. ACURA programmers are crap and the department needs to be wiped clean and new qualified hires brought in. End of rant.
The following 2 users liked this post by markm929:
asdecorazones (07-15-2019), Padre Dave (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Totally agree. My wife's VW Tiguan has worked FLAWLESSLY with my same phone and USB cord. This is completely the fault of the RDX.

I also installed the iOS 13 Beta, and while it worked for two weeks, I got the same beep and freeze last Friday. Had to do the trusty Three Finger Reset AGAIN. sigh.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonarogers:
asdecorazones (07-15-2019), firstacura19 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by markm929
Having just comeback from vacation, where I rented a Chevy Equinox that had CarPlay, I can say without reservation that ACURA is totally to blame for the issues with CarPlay and the Infotainment system. Apple carries no blame on the issues. CarPlay worked flawlessly. I could connect the USB before starting the car or after and no annoying hiccups in sound. I return to my RDX and first connection music starts hiccuping. ACURA programmers are crap and the department needs to be wiped clean and new qualified hires brought in. End of rant.
I just hope Acura did not outsource development of the RDX infotainment software to $9/hr software engineer (HCL, Infosys, Cyient, etc). AppleCar in the RDX is VERY unreliable. When will Acura fix this piece of junk software.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
I just hope Acura did not outsource development of the RDX infotainment software to $9/hr software engineer (HCL, Infosys, Cyient, etc). AppleCar in the RDX is VERY unreliable. When will Acura fix this piece of junk software.

Acura line: "There is an updating coming shortly..."

There must be a black hole near Acura causing a time dilation, as we've heard the line for MONTHS now out here in the real world.