Will we get Android Auto's new Coolwalk design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2022 | 01:16 PM
Racer

Will we get Android Auto's new Coolwalk design?

Soon, Android Auto will switch over to its new Coolwalk design. I pretty much use Android Auto at all times in my RDX.

If you're not aware of what that is, please see this new video:

The Android Auto experience is pretty crippled on the RDX - the second/smaller screen is pretty much useless when using Android Auto. It acts as a sort of status bar...screen. It's why all we get on that screen when Android Auto is in use, is icons and time. Pathetic.
For example, to this day, you cannot have Google Maps running on the bigger screen while Amazon Music or YouTube Music (for example) is on the smaller screen. Apply Carplay, does not have this issue.

We have a big screen in our beloved RDXs, but it is just isnt maximized at all. I'm hoping this new Coolwalk feature will change the experience of the infotainment system.

I do recall that one of the reasons Coolwalk is happening is because many cars now have a second smaller screen as our RDX does. So, hopefully, something comes of this.

I'm concerned that Acura will not give us the full experience of Coolwalk and we will be stuck with a half-baked version and will STILL have no use for the smaller screen.

Last edited by SpaceBot; 08-06-2022 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022 | 11:00 PM
Intermediate

That second screen drives me crazy. Wish there was a way to just get rid of it when using Android auto. Feel like we basically just have a 7 inch screen
LAJ (11-19-2022)
Old 08-08-2022 | 04:53 PM
Pro

My Lexus NX had a 2nd screen similar to the RDX but it was full screen for CarPlay/AA.

I’m sure the same is possible in the RDX. Seems like it would just be a software change.
Old 08-08-2022 | 06:24 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by SpaceBot
I'm concerned that Acura will not give us the full experience of Coolwalk and we will be stuck with a half-baked version and will STILL have no use for the smaller screen.
The update is to Android, not to the Acura software. They're rolling out an update to the current version now. Just checked my phone, and I don't have it yet.
Old 08-08-2022 | 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Soon, Android Auto will switch over to its new Coolwalk design. I pretty much use Android Auto at all times in my RDX.

If you're not aware of what that is, please see this new video: https://youtu.be/z5Hlyt2uZjc

The Android Auto experience is pretty crippled on the RDX - the second/smaller screen is pretty much useless when using Android Auto. It acts as a sort of status bar...screen. It's why all we get on that screen when Android Auto is in use, is icons and time. Pathetic.
For example, to this day, you cannot have Google Maps running on the bigger screen while Amazon Music or YouTube Music (for example) is on the smaller screen. Apply Carplay, does not have this issue.

We have a big screen in our beloved RDXs, but it is just isnt maximized at all. I'm hoping this new Coolwalk feature will change the experience of the infotainment system.

I do recall that one of the reasons Coolwalk is happening is because many cars now have a second smaller screen as our RDX does. So, hopefully, something comes of this.

Oh yeah and another thing that really annoys me, with the rdx's 22 and up they get the mph displayed on the guage screen. I figured with my 21, it was just a update away from getting that feature. Seems like a simple software update but I guess they don't care enough to do that?
Old 08-15-2022 | 03:44 PM
3rd Gear

I wish acura would just let us use the whole damn screen. It's not a hard fix. Just disable the small screen on the right. Anyone who knows someone at Acura/Honda PLEASEE
The following 2 users liked this post by Concerned Owner:
LAJ (11-19-2022), SpaceBot (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 06:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcross1231
The update is to Android, not to the Acura software. They're rolling out an update to the current version now. Just checked my phone, and I don't have it yet.
It's still dependent on the specific car software. For example, Android Auto on most cars has displayed some weather information on the home screen for a long time. We never got that feature on Acura cars.
SpaceBot (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jeffcarp94
It's still dependent on the specific car software. For example, Android Auto on most cars has displayed some weather information on the home screen for a long time. We never got that feature on Acura cars.
Exactly or the MPH either.

Acura appears to have the ability to restrict Android Auto features on their infotainment system, which really sucks. We won't get the full experience, just the experience that Acura wants us to have.
Old 08-16-2022 | 03:03 PM
Advanced

Exactly or the MPH either.

Acura appears to have the ability to restrict Android Auto features on their infotainment system, which really sucks. We won't get the full experience, just the experience that Acura wants us to have.
I'm not sure if Acura actually has the ability to restrict features. I'm guessing the more likely scenario is that Google had to make a unique build for Acura in order to get it to work with the new infotainment system and because it's a unique build, it's just not getting any development resources for new features.

Regardless, the result is the same. The entertainment system has been a huge disappointment for me and it will be the reason that I trade my RDX in.
Old 11-04-2022 | 12:51 PM
10th Gear

I decided to try Android Auto Coolwalk on my RDX ( you need to be rooted), and I'm a bit disappointed that the 2nd screen is still useless

LAJ (11-19-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 07:28 PM
mvl
Pro

Thats disappointing, maybe (we can dream) Acura will publish a software update on their end unlocking the whole screen.

Do you get app controls for a secondary app with Coolwalk? Acura's widescreen TTI version of pre-coolwalk never got that feature, even though all other cars I drove did.

Would try it myself but prefer not to root my phone.
Old 11-11-2022 | 12:19 PM
Racer

Google is allowing Beta testers to use the new Coolwalk design. It's rolling out today, for beta testers. I'm a beta tester...but haven't received anything yet.

I have a feeling the small useless side screen still won't disappear with this new design. I'll post a photo if I get the beta update.
Old 11-11-2022 | 03:52 PM
mvl
Pro

Excited to see it, too bad beta is full. I was a beta tester during the Samsung wireless AA deployment, but left once it stabilized.
Old 11-16-2022 | 06:39 PM
mvl
Pro

Beta opened slots today so I joined, but still haven't received the app yet. Anyone with coolwalk working able to post their app version?

Will post pics once I get it.
Old 11-16-2022 | 07:27 PM
Racer

Looks like my C40 except it has a screen for music. Meh. I don't see what's so new other than just adding that little square for music.
Old 12-14-2022 | 07:33 PM
Racer

Welp it's here. And sadly, I was right.

The smaller screen is still completely useless. It has felt to be one of the worst implementations of Android Auto'a new Coolwalk design. So now everything is squished into the larger side of the screen.

Terrible. How dumb to have a large screen and then make a quarter of it useless.

See pics:

The following 2 users liked this post by SpaceBot:
amcobra (02-02-2023), sonyfever (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022 | 07:57 PM
Pro

Odd that it won't show the music source on the right screen like CarPlay.
Old 12-14-2022 | 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ross7777
Odd that it won't show the music source on the right screen like CarPlay.
It's very frustrating. I don't know why they can fix this. Been like this since then first RDX 3rd gen. came out in 2019.
Old 12-16-2022 | 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

I was afraid this was going to happen, but I can't say that I'm surprised. I feel it's more on Acura not making use of that part of the screen then on Google. If Carplay can make full use of it, why can't AA? Something needs to be updated in the headunit to reflect this, but I don't see Acura changing it, especially since it's been like this for 3+ years now. My work phone is an iPhone and when I need turn by turn directions and I have it with me, I'd rather use that over AA so I can take full advantage of the screen. Who knows, maybe the new update will change that for me, but unlikely.
Old 12-16-2022 | 04:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayde
I was afraid this was going to happen, but I can't say that I'm surprised. I feel it's more on Acura not making use of that part of the screen then on Google. If Carplay can make full use of it, why can't AA? Something needs to be updated in the headunit to reflect this, but I don't see Acura changing it, especially since it's been like this for 3+ years now. My work phone is an iPhone and when I need turn by turn directions and I have it with me, I'd rather use that over AA so I can take full advantage of the screen. Who knows, maybe the new update will change that for me, but unlikely.

It's definitely an Acura problem. I don't see them changing it either or else they would have done so already.

What's interesting is that if you view the changelogs of one of the firmware updates to the infotainment system you'll see their is an Android Auto Widescreen update. But this was dk e some years ago and visually, nothing looks different. It could have been a precursor for Coolwalk though.

They just need to allow music to be displayed on the small screen with Google maps open on the large screen, and I'll be happy. I don't know why this isn't achievable and it really hinders their own technology's experience.
Old 01-20-2023 | 08:23 AM
Advanced

It's definitely an Acura problem. I don't see them changing it either or else they would have done so already.

What's interesting is that if you view the changelogs of one of the firmware updates to the infotainment system you'll see their is an Android Auto Widescreen update. But this was dk e some years ago and visually, nothing looks different. It could have been a precursor for Coolwalk though.

They just need to allow music to be displayed on the small screen with Google maps open on the large screen, and I'll be happy. I don't know why this isn't achievable and it really hinders their own technology's experience.
is there any where we can complain to about this issue.
Old 01-20-2023 | 02:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by not2envy
is there any where we can complain to about this issue.
https://owners.acura.com/help/client-relations has "Contact Us" links that you can try. I used the "Send an Email" in the past and they replied with a fairly detailed response, i.e., it wasn't a canned response.

Ron
Jayde (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023 | 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ron T
https://owners.acura.com/help/client-relations has "Contact Us" links that you can try. I used the "Send an Email" in the past and they replied with a fairly detailed response, i.e., it wasn't a canned response.

Ron
Thanks for this! I'm going to try and send one tonight.
SpaceBot (01-20-2023)
Old 01-23-2023 | 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't have coolwalk yet, but today I found that Gmap supports pinch-zoom in browsing view. Is it something new?
Old 01-24-2023 | 05:56 PM
Intermediate

I sent one as well and got a pretty generic response back. It seems like the complaint does get logged, there is a possibility if they get enough of the same type something might be done, but I won't get my hopes up.
Old 01-27-2023 | 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rahcu2
I sent one as well and got a pretty generic response back. It seems like the complaint does get logged, there is a possibility if they get enough of the same type something might be done, but I won't get my hopes up.
I too got a generic response. Here's what mine said:

Greetings,

Thank you for allowing Honda Customer Service the opportunity of responding to your message. Our customer's satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, and we assure you of our interest in your feedback.

It is our pleasure to note your valuable comments pertaining ideas for Honda to use. Your insight assists us in fully understanding consumer perspective. Whenever a client reaches out to us, we document feedback, which can then be used by several of our departments.

Kind regards,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Old 01-29-2023 | 07:23 AM
Racer

That 2nd screen is awful, it doesn't even display good information most of the time.
Old 01-30-2023 | 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

This was the response to my complaint about the useless 1/3 window on the display

​​​​​​​"Thank you for contacting American Honda regarding your concern about Android Auto Display for your 2021/RDX. We want to thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond to your message. On behalf of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., we apologize for the circumstances which prompted you to contact us.

We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your concern regarding the feature, and we understand your frustration regarding the matter. Have you had a chance to reach out to your local preferred Acura dealership to make them aware of the issue? If not, the skilled Service Department at our dealerships are in the best position to evaluate your vehicle and determine the best available corrective action. We encourage you to contact the Service Department of your preferred Acura dealership for assistance with a diagnosis.

Your case will be closed at this time, pending further information.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Case #:
Old 01-30-2023 | 05:38 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Bud808
This was the response to my complaint about the useless 1/3 window on the display
Well, that was helpful! I'm sure your dealer has a complete software development team ready to get right on the issue!
We just got back from a couple of 6 hour interstate drives. AA is just about useless for anything other than navigating. I finally got tired of having it manage anything else and let the car handle the phone and SiriusXM. The second window turns out to actually be a bit helpful doing it that way. Calls and XM status are in the small window, and you can flip-flop the windows to manage that if need be.
EFR (01-30-2023)