Why is the sunroof so dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Why is the sunroof so dumb?

My RDX was left out in a torrential downpour with the lovely panoramic sunroof wide open. What’s the matter with this car? Is it as stupid as its owner?It’s got a rain sensor, for the wipers. Couldn’t it have closed the roof for me, or at least sent me a text telling me what was happening?

My more practical question: Any ideas on what to do to avoid mold and other horrors? Obviously I wiped it down, and I’ve been leaving it out in the sun with all the glass open. What else can I do?
Old 06-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
My RDX was left out in a torrential downpour with the lovely panoramic sunroof wide open. What’s the matter with this car? Is it as stupid as its owner?It’s got a rain sensor, for the wipers. Couldn’t it have closed the roof for me, or at least sent me a text telling me what was happening?

My more practical question: Any ideas on what to do to avoid mold and other horrors? Obviously I wiped it down, and I’ve been leaving it out in the sun with all the glass open. What else can I do?
All kidding aside, your car was technically turned off, so the sensor wouldn't be working anyways.

All you can do is try to dry everything as much as you can. Hopefully none of the electronics have been damaged. How much water got into the vehicle? You might have to pull up the mats to dry the floorboards underneath.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,708 Likes on 6,715 Posts
Is it as stupid as its owner?
The following users liked this post:
hockeyaddict (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Trade it in or sell it

Festoon it with air fresheners for a week first.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
If the headliner got soaked, you may need to get it replaced. Or, I guess, you could try using one of those wet-vacs on it, but that's sort of half-assing it.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Pro

Drive it into one of the states that’s known for flooding and wait for a new storm to happen and then claim flood damage with insurance comprehensive.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When car is ‘turned off’ sunroof should be automatically closed when rain sensor is activated. This doesn’t sound like a complicated software task.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JacPac
When car is ‘turned off’ sunroof should be automatically closed when rain sensor is activated. This doesn’t sound like a complicated software task.
What if it didn’t rain until after you’ve left the sunroof open? I would imagine most cases that’s what happens.

If it was raining right when I turn off my vehicle I’m going to know based on water coming into the car to shut the sunroof.

When power is shut off then almost everything is turned off, including the rain sensor. Even the motor to the sunroof is turned off. Having certain systems on in the car while turned off as you can imagine, will pose problems. Your battery will drain and your car won’t start. I’m sure engineers have thought about this.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

"When power is shut off then almost everything is turned off, including the rain sensor." This can be easily re-programmed including sunroof motor activation . Interlocks should include a baterry voltage level, for sure. Security system, dashcam are active when car is 'turned off'.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,431 Likes on 1,880 Posts
No other car does this. Sounds like this is a you problem.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Pro

"When power is shut off then almost everything is turned off, including the rain sensor." This can be easily re-programmed including sunroof motor activation . Interlocks should include a baterry voltage level, for sure. Security system, dashcam are active when car is 'turned off'.
At a certain point, Acura can’t fix the stupidity of the drivers. What you’re requesting is the extreme minority of idiots who don’t close their sunroof when it is raining outside.

Also, if the rain sensor goes bad then you’ll have even more problems regarding the sunroof. It might close randomly while you’re driving to override your commands.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-26-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Skeptic

The heated and ventilated seats should always default to off when the cars is turned off. My inconsiderate asshole mother-in-law sits in the back and leaves hers on max.
The following users liked this post:
DriverOne (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Lol. It is YOUR fault that you opened the sunroof on a day of rain. With how good weather prediction is nowadays, blame yourself, not the car for this.

Is there any car that does what you want? How much is it, and which one is it?
Old 06-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Pro

JacPac might as well scold Acura for not putting a self driving feature on the RDX. Or a cooler/ heater in the cup holders like the Benz.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Google, this is an example: 'How to enable auto close windows and sunroof on your VW Jetta and NMS VW Passat (2012+)'
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/a...n-your-mk5-vw/
IMO this is desired feature for parked car with the open sunroof. BTW I don't suffer dementia and weather is changing faster than local forecast in my area.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Pro

Just close the damn sunroof every time you park your car...I don’t know why that’s so hard for some people. If you need to keep windows open then just get a window deflector and crack open the side windows.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
JacPac might as well scold Acura for not putting a self driving feature on the RDX. Or a cooler/ heater in the cup holders like the Benz.
Regarding RDX software, Acura is unable to fix infotainment bugs or implement advertised Android functionality - 1 year after RDX debut.
So, I’m not expecting anything from Acura, since 2019/2020 RDX operates 'as designed'.

2018-05-29 · "Regarding Android Auto, there's actually no specification for Android that works with a touchpad," said Acura RDX Engineering Development Leader Stephen Frey at a media event last week.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
It was real sunny today. And hot. Why didn’t my car know it was sunny and hot today and not raining? It should have opened the windows. It should have known when I was going to drive it, and started the engine and run the AC.

why should it have been up to me to remote start the car and run the AC? It takes, like over a minute to make all the computer connections with the app, and even longer minutes to cool the car down.

why doesn’t it periodically start the car and cool it down in case I want to drive it? Why does it get bad gas mileage?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow this guy is actually serious. I thought this was a joke post.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Drive it into one of the states that’s known for flooding and wait for a new storm to happen and then claim flood damage with insurance comprehensive.
Haiti would work, right?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
The heated and ventilated seats should always default to off when the cars is turned off. My inconsiderate asshole mother-in-law sits in the back and leaves hers on max.
LOL, I like how your mother-in-law gets worked into so many posts.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
Wow this guy is actually serious. I thought this was a joke post.
I'm preparing the class action lawsuit, who wants in?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 PM
Pro

Regarding RDX software, Acura is unable to fix infotainment bugs or implement advertised Android functionality - 1 year after RDX debut.
So, I’m not expecting anything from Acura, since 2019/2020 RDX operates 'as designed'.

2018-05-29 · "Regarding Android Auto, there's actually no specification for Android that works with a touchpad," said Acura RDX Engineering Development Leader Stephen Frey at a media event last week.
Perhaps the bugs are due to the inherent nature of android itself, the platform in which the RDX infotainment system is designed. Android is notoriously buggy.

Either way, this is derailing from the point of the thread.

We get it. You are unhappy with Acura. You’ll find faults with it at every turn. Might as well trade or sell your car and get a different vehicle. If Android Auto is what you’re worried about then you probably should get another vehicle that already has Android Auto instead.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-26-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Perhaps the bugs are due to the inherent nature of android itself, the platform in which the RDX infotainment system is designed. Android is notoriously buggy.

Either way, this is derailing from the point of the thread.

We get it. You are unhappy with Acura. You’ll find faults with it at every turn. Might as well trade or sell your car and get a different vehicle. If Android Auto is what you’re worried about then you probably should get another vehicle that already has Android Auto instead.
Thank you for unsolicited comments and recommendations. You ( We ?) didn’t get it but it is OK.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
All kidding aside, your car was technically turned off, so the sensor wouldn't be working anyways.
Not always a given. Many sensors (e.g. key proximity sensor) work even when the car is off. Wireless radio is running too so it can get commands from the app via Acura.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

You could look for wet areas and use a hair dryer to dry those areas. Alternatively, you could look for a detailer and ask them what they would do.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by anoop
Not always a given. Many sensors (e.g. key proximity sensor) work even when the car is off. Wireless radio is running too so it can get commands from the app via Acura.
Exactly the more reason why they need to keep some sensors deemed not necessary off while car is turned off or else the battery will die faster. Not all of us drive the RDX everyday or has it hooked up to a battery tender. A rain sensor being on at all times is absolutely unnecessary.

The auto idle stop already puts a big strain on the battery.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-26-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for the useful suggestions about remediation of this problem. And for the literal-minded critics, an explanation:

My post consisted of two parts. The first was a self-deprecating facetious suggestion that the car should have taken responsibility for my own blunder. I am actually well aware that the roof shouldn’t be left open when it’s going to rain. My failure was not one of judgement, but simply a careless oversight. I suspect that even the most self-righteous folks here have made a mistake or two in their lives.

The second part was a serious question about what to do, beyond the obvious. I appreciate the ideas that emerged.
The following 2 users liked this post by tangible:
justnspace (06-27-2019), robnalex (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Thanks for the useful suggestions about remediation of this problem. And for the literal-minded critics, an explanation:

My post consisted of two parts. The first was a self-deprecating facetious suggestion that the car should have taken responsibility for my own blunder. I am actually well aware that the roof shouldn’t be left open when it’s going to rain. My failure was not one of judgement, but simply a careless oversight. I suspect that even the most self-righteous folks here have made a mistake or two in their lives.

The second part was a serious question about what to do, beyond the obvious. I appreciate the ideas that emerged.
I read your post exactly the way you intended. Many of the replies are of the typical self-righteous, dimwitted, smart-ass variety that are all too common in these forums. Someone starts a perfectly reasonable, good-humored thread, and then the village idiots descend.

Regarding mold- its worst enemy is air, dry air. You might even consider running the car with the temp high (heat) and the A/C on (to dehumidify).
Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i got the joke.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,708 Likes on 6,715 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
i got the joke.
Same
Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
As someone mentioned above, some Audi's and VW's could actually be programmed to auto close the sunroof and windows in the event of rain. Mind you this has been possible on some models since the early 2000's. But sue happy AmeriCANs (as in if they CAN, they WILL sue) are the reason why many features such as keyfob activated window roll up is removed on many vehicles that would otherwise have it.

So that is a long way of saying it isn't crazy to hope the car would have that feature. It would be incredibly useful in areas known for sudden rains. It's been raining here in Alberta for the past 3ish weeks. But it literally comes and goes suddenly. Clear skies turn dark and boom torrential rain, then all clears up and rinse and repeat. So having a feature like auto close windows via rain sensor would be INCREDIBLY helpful.

As for what you can do, I think you've pretty much done what you can. As someone suggested above, try running the heat on high with the AC on for a couple hours and pray that it evaporates most of the water. I would be terrified if my car interior got soaked like that, especially with the RDX's dash layout!
Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_s...motive_sensors

In 1958, the Cadillac Motor Car Division of General Motors experimented with a water-sensitive switch that triggered various electric motors to close the convertible top and raise the open windows of a specially-built Eldorado Biarritz model, in case of rain. The first such device appears to have been used for that same purpose in a concept vehicle designated Le Sabre and built around 1950–51.

Last edited by anoop; 06-27-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Banned

A few points:

First of all, robnalex is right that drying out the car is the biggest way to stop mold from forming. But the problem is once mold forms, drying out the car alone probably won't do anything. The car has lots of padded foam areas, particularly within the seats and the headliner area, that would probably retain moisture. If you got your couch wet, for example, you can dry out the outside but it's tough to get the inside dry before mold forms. That's why I recommended at least looking under the headliner. It may sound bad, but I think decent body shops could access those areas. As far as I know (and I don't know much, so take this with a grain of salt) the headliner is just glued up to the roof, so it can be removed and replaced fairly easily.

Second of all, I think that people don't need to be too hard on the OP. We've all been there when something dumb happened and we're just venting. Like if you back into something a leave a giant crease in your car, of course your first reaction will be something like "who put that there?" or "why couldn't the car auto stop me?" That's human nature.

Lastly, I've never owned a car with a sun roof before this one. So I did just try it out and I actually messed it up myself. When I closed the roof, it didn't just close, it returned to the "slightly ajar and tilted up" position, if I remember. I was lucky I saw that, or I would have just closed up the roof cover and then been surprised the next time it rained, just like the OP. I was so paranoid about it that I closed it and then got out and eyeballed the roof from the outside just to make sure everything was sealed. So I do have some sympathy for him. That being said, I don't know why anyone would ever leave a sunroof open for any reason. Isn't that basically a "break into my car" sign?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Just close the damn sunroof every time you park your car...I don’t know why that’s so hard for some people. If you need to keep windows open then just get a window deflector and crack open the side windows.
THIS
Unless I am only leaving my car for a moment and I can see it, I close everything - even in my garage. I don't want any critters getting inside it!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DriverOne
That being said, I don't know why anyone would ever leave a sunroof open for any reason. Isn't that basically a "break into my car" sign?
People leave their convertible top down all the time. Unless there is stuff in the car that a thief can take, there is no reason to be to concerned about a break in.

Leaving the sun roof open could help keep the car ventilated on a hot day. Leaving it tilted open is quite common.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by anoop
People leave their convertible top down all the time. Unless there is stuff in the car that a thief can take, there is no reason to be to concerned about a break in.

Leaving the sun roof open could help keep the car ventilated on a hot day. Leaving it tilted open is quite common.
Yeah they leave it open when they park in wealthy areas. Most of America isn't wealthy nor are the areas nice enough to not worry about a break in. You try leaving a convertible with the top down on my street, the next day the engine and wheels will be stolen.

Also, it is a bad idea to leave a car with sunroof open under a tree. You don't want bird poop in your car. There's way too much potential for problems with the sunroof open. Just leave your side windows ajar.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-27-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,431 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
A few points:

First of all, robnalex is right that drying out the car is the biggest way to stop mold from forming. But the problem is once mold forms, drying out the car alone probably won't do anything. The car has lots of padded foam areas, particularly within the seats and the headliner area, that would probably retain moisture. If you got your couch wet, for example, you can dry out the outside but it's tough to get the inside dry before mold forms. That's why I recommended at least looking under the headliner. It may sound bad, but I think decent body shops could access those areas. As far as I know (and I don't know much, so take this with a grain of salt) the headliner is just glued up to the roof, so it can be removed and replaced fairly easily.

Second of all, I think that people don't need to be too hard on the OP. We've all been there when something dumb happened and we're just venting. Like if you back into something a leave a giant crease in your car, of course your first reaction will be something like "who put that there?" or "why couldn't the car auto stop me?" That's human nature.

Lastly, I've never owned a car with a sun roof before this one. So I did just try it out and I actually messed it up myself. When I closed the roof, it didn't just close, it returned to the "slightly ajar and tilted up" position, if I remember. I was lucky I saw that, or I would have just closed up the roof cover and then been surprised the next time it rained, just like the OP. I was so paranoid about it that I closed it and then got out and eyeballed the roof from the outside just to make sure everything was sealed. So I do have some sympathy for him. That being said, I don't know why anyone would ever leave a sunroof open for any reason. Isn't that basically a "break into my car" sign?
Why would anyone break into your car from the sunroof? It's so much more effort than just smashing a window, seeing as how prying on the sunroof is going to shatter it anyways.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Skeptic

... If you need to keep windows open then just get a window deflector and crack open the side windows.
Nobody makes them yet for the 3G RDX. I'm dying for WeatherTech to come out with their in-channel visors but it's looking like I'll have to go through the whole Summer without them. I'll only use WeatherTech and I'm in for an email notification when they're available.

On past vehicles, I always leave the windows down about an inch. Keeps the car at least 20 degrees cooler. You can't tell the windows are open unless you walk up and peer under them. And, of course, if T-storms move in, it's no problem.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Nobody makes them yet for the 3G RDX. I'm dying for WeatherTech to come out with their in-channel visors but it's looking like I'll have to go through the whole Summer without them. I'll only use WeatherTech and I'm in for an email notification when they're available.

On past vehicles, I always leave the windows down about an inch. Keeps the car at least 20 degrees cooler. You can't tell the windows are open unless you walk up and peer under them. And, of course, if T-storms move in, it's no problem.
Yes they do make them.

https://www.wellvisors.net/index.php...-trim-6pc.html

Quick Reply: Why is the sunroof so dumb?