Who here has never floored the gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020 | 10:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hans471
Well, I am a very responsible driver both in my car and on my motorcycle. Drove the past thirty years with zero accidents and zero traffic tickets. One night I did take it to the rev limiter, just to see how high it would go. I was on a wide, straight, flat road with perfectly clear weather and unlimited visibility. We were literally in the middle of "No Where" and I doubt there was another human within five or ten miles (or more) from us. On the vehicle I was driving the speed limiter was set for 108 MPH due to the factory tire ratings. (They do that you know, match max speed with the tires max. (Try WOT on something like a cheap little Chevy Cavalier, its like 87 MPH).

"Reckless and irresponsible"....I don't think so and my driving record supports that. As for driving skills.....well.....as a pilot, a former motorcycle racer and having survived years in Germany driving Porsche's and souped up Fiats in places with no speed limits...(accident free also) and having driven high speed laps on the Nuremberg Ring and other tracks I think I can handle a car at 108 MPH. That was slow cruise on the autobahn. :-) To each their own...
While I may sound like a broken record, let me repeat: WOT does not mean that you are at top speed. It purely means that you have the pedal pressed all the way to the floor, even if it’s for 1 second at 20mph.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
fogdoctor (02-13-2020), JustMe... (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020 | 11:40 PM
Drifting

In the interest of transparency, this thread should be required reading for any woman who is considering dating men.

( Or worse, LETTING THEM DRIVE! )

Yep, this is what you're signing up for, ladies. Testosterone toxicity and anatomical delusions. Sorry about that.
Old 02-08-2020 | 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
While I may sound like a broken record, let me repeat: WOT does not mean that you are at top speed. It purely means that you have the pedal pressed all the way to the floor, even if it’s for 1 second at 20mph.
Why do you even bother...

And for the record, even at WOT, the RDX is still a slug.
Old 02-09-2020 | 06:04 AM
Pro

Well, I am a very responsible driver both in my car and on my motorcycle. Drove the past thirty years with zero accidents and zero traffic tickets. One night I did take it to the rev limiter, just to see how high it would go. I was on a wide, straight, flat road with perfectly clear weather and unlimited visibility. We were literally in the middle of "No Where" and I doubt there was another human within five or ten miles (or more) from us. On the vehicle I was driving the speed limiter was set for 108 MPH due to the factory tire ratings. (They do that you know, match max speed with the tires max. (Try WOT on something like a cheap little Chevy Cavalier, its like 87 MPH).

"Reckless and irresponsible"....I don't think so and my driving record supports that. As for driving skills.....well.....as a pilot, a former motorcycle racer and having survived years in Germany driving Porsche's and souped up Fiats in places with no speed limits...(accident free also) and having driven high speed laps on the Nuremberg Ring and other tracks I think I can handle a car at 108 MPH. That was slow cruise on the autobahn. :-) To each their own...
They are still public roads and not meant to be your personal raceway. Same old excuse with the I have drove this and that with no accident. Your time is coming with that mentality. Keep it on the track and do this where it’s meant to be done. Just because nobody is on the road does not justify it, and if you have a need for speed go live in Germany. It’s fine and dandy until you get unlucky on day then it too late.
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver

Squanto (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 08:54 AM
Pro

Old 02-09-2020 | 09:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SebringSilver

mid sixes is not a slug for an SUV, it just isn’t. It is right there with its direct competition.

The XC60 T5 is 6.7
The X3 is 6.3
The RDX is 6.5/6

https://www.zeroto60times.com

If you want fast, what are you doing in an SUV? You can get a Honda Accord at 5.6 and put 10+ grand in your pocket.

Old 02-09-2020 | 09:39 AM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
mid sixes is not a slug for an SUV, it just isn’t. It is right there with its direct competition.

The XC60 T5 is 6.7
The X3 is 6.3
The RDX is 6.5/6

https://www.zeroto60times.com

If you want fast, what are you doing in an SUV? You can get a Honda Accord at 5.6 and put 10+ grand in your pocket.
Ktune it

Old 02-09-2020 | 01:17 PM
Unregistered Member

....(Try WOT on something like a cheap little Chevy Cavalier, its like 87 MPH)....
No, I've gone WOT in a Chevy Cavalier plenty of times and never even came close to 87 mph. You are obviously thinking about the speed governor. That's what is typically matched to the speed rating of the OEM tires. WOT just means you mashed the gas pedal to the floor, even if just for a moment. Keep it there long enough and you'll eventually reach top speed, but that's a different subject.
Old 02-09-2020 | 05:45 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by sinain
Well, you might want to research what analogy means. Going down that 160mph road with all your "girthiness"---impressive!
Eh, maybe I was wrong. Yea, I can see it. My post was referring to the sentiment that you never "need" to go WOT. Steak isn't a necessity to survival, but it's still an indulgence (so long as it's a good cut and cooked properly, but that gets wordy and can be inferred by someone not simply trying to start an argument) that is enjoyed. And I'll call bullshit. I'm sure going Mach II is fun, but there's no way the propulsion of a 600rwHP vehicle isn't thrilling. If that were the case, I'd be yawning going on roller coasters ... but it's a different feel of acceleration and experience which makes it equally, if not more, enjoyable.

And yea, missed the point about you starting a "dick measuring contest." But yes, haven't met a lady yet who didn't find it impressive (and thrilling as well).
Old 02-09-2020 | 06:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio85
Eh, maybe I was wrong. Yea, I can see it. My post was referring to the sentiment that you never "need" to go WOT. Steak isn't a necessity to survival, but it's still an indulgence (so long as it's a good cut and cooked properly, but that gets wordy and can be inferred by someone not simply trying to start an argument) that is enjoyed. And I'll call bullshit. I'm sure going Mach II is fun, but there's no way the propulsion of a 600rwHP vehicle isn't thrilling. If that were the case, I'd be yawning going on roller coasters ... but it's a different feel of acceleration and experience which makes it equally, if not more, enjoyable.

And yea, missed the point about you starting a "dick measuring contest." But yes, haven't met a lady yet who didn't find it impressive (and thrilling as well).

I drove a Ferrari around Maranello. And it was fun. I still don’t think I hit the floorboards. I tell you, though, that car needed a HUD.

Me checking out the controls before take off.
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:23 PM
Racer

I drove a Ferrari around Maranello. And it was fun. I still don’t think I hit the floorboards. I tell you, though, that car needed a HUD.

You look nothing like your profile photo
Squanto (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:38 PM
Drifting

I notice the bystanders are standing behind pillars. Why is that?
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:51 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

That car can't reach Mach II tho, so what even is the point of flooring it?

I'm sure that thing felt incredible, even at part throttle. But, you don't quite get the same pucker factor until you punch it and the rear end kicks out a bit (and hopefully not into a ditch). LoL.
Old 02-09-2020 | 08:00 PM
Safety Car

I'm sure that thing felt incredible, even at part throttle. But, you don't quite get the same pucker factor until you punch it and the rear end kicks out a bit (and hopefully not into a ditch). LoL.
I mean, sleeping with your wife isn’t quite the same as sleeping with Scarlett Johansson, but it’s still good fun, no?
Old 02-09-2020 | 09:19 PM
Drifting

I only punched it on the straights. It sounded fantastic.
Old 02-10-2020 | 10:13 AM
Racer

I only punched it on the straights. It sounded fantastic.
And, I bet the exhaust sound was not piped in!
Old 02-10-2020 | 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustMe...
And, I bet the exhaust sound was not piped in!
Nope, it was right behind my head, and bouncing off any walls.
Old 02-10-2020 | 06:53 PM
Be the Best Be Great

You've got everything right. As a motorcyclist, I rarely used WOT after I achieved the 'experienced motorcyclist' stage. WOT is usually reserved for getting OUT of a situation. I would otherwise ride in such a way as NOT to have to use WOT. Driving a car, sports,sedan or SUV, my habits remain the same.