When did you get your first ding/scratch/chip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 02:01 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
When did you get your first ding/scratch/chip?

I'm four days into owning my RDX and something on the freeway got kicked up by a semi truck that was next to me. Whatever it was, it left thee tiny dots that I'm not sure can be fixed without touch-up paint.

Barely noticeable to the untrained eye, but the first time is always painful. And I know the marks are there now. Maybe it be covered up with see wax or polish. I attached a pic.

How many days into new ownership did it take for the first ding, scratch, or paint chip? It's bound to happen and it's inimitable...sucks no matter what.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Second day, damaged my mud flap. Rubbed a protruding stone edge. Didn't know the corners of the car at the time.

1.5 yrs,
Minor damage backing into my garage. Rear spoiler at roof line hit the garage door. Door was not fully up, I couldn't see it in the camera. Minor damage, Acura took a look and needs full replacement spoiler, $500can.
Guess I now know the car height, sadly.

SpaceBot
inimitable - Can't imitate.
inevitable is the needed word.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
RDX is not a garage queen car.
if you have some fancy car, you can keep in the garage and never take it to freeway. You will also need a daily car. I am not planing to keep two cars.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
SpaceBot
inimitable - Can't imitate.
inevitable is the needed word.
oops, wrote my post on my phone...yup, I meant inevitable.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
I'm four days into owning my RDX and something on the freeway got kicked up by a semi truck that was next to me. Whatever it was, it left thee tiny dots that I'm not sure can be fixed without touch-up paint.

Barely noticeable to the untrained eye, but the first time is always painful. And I know the marks are there now. Maybe it be covered up with see wax or polish. I attached a pic.

How many days into new ownership did it take for the first ding, scratch, or paint chip? It's bound to happen and it's inimitable...sucks no matter what.
I can’t see dots in picture but try using Mesquites Scratch X it’s a soft waxing with rubbing compound..i I’ve used it for light scratches and it works very well.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be Maguires Scratch X
Old 01-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Knock on wood my car is still pristine.

I routinely hand wash and detail it so I'm aware of any damages. This car isnt a garage queen but it's my pride and joy being the first owner. Im always cautiously aware of my driving and parking.

I'm expecting my first cosmetic damage soon because my luck will run out and then I'll cry in a fetal position.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
16 months and no dings or scratches yet. Probably the longest I've ever gone without something. Usually it's within the first month. But--I always park at lot perimeters and try to avoid having someone next to me (interesting how people don't like to walk a bit). Or I try to get an end space and I hug the outer line to avoid the door dings. Only hand washing and it is garaged. This cannot last and I know a scratch or rock chip or ding is inevitable. And so it goes.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
+ 1 Scratch X or similar product

And don't polish the car so much. That's like a Monet landscape reflected in the shine.

I wouldn't use touchup paint, you will just make a bigger mess unless you really know what you're doing.

For my first boo-boo I went big courtesy of a flying chunk of ice or something. No way that was buffing out.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

It looks deep enough to go through clear coat and possibly paint layers.
I would use a touch up paint, but be very careful, first clean it with alcohol and dry, then use tooth pick to put little dots of paint in there. Let it dry, put another layer of paint with tooth pick.
Finally after a day or so when paint is completely dry, use tooth pick to put little bit of clear coat (you can buy it ebay or amazon for $10).
Let it completely dry for a day. After its all dry, use rubbing compound to smooth in the touch up to blend with paint.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Wander
+ 1 Scratch X or similar product

And don't polish the car so much. That's like a Monet landscape reflected in the shine.

I wouldn't use touchup paint, you will just make a bigger mess unless you really know what you're doing.

For my first boo-boo I went big courtesy of a flying chunk of ice or something. No way that was buffing out.

Wander some Flex seal tape could have fixed that!
Old 01-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
It looks deep enough to go through clear coat and possibly paint layers.
I would use a touch up paint, but be very careful, first clean it with alcohol and dry, then use tooth pick to put little dots of paint in there. Let it dry, put another layer of paint with tooth pick.
Finally after a day or so when paint is completely dry, use tooth pick to put little bit of clear coat (you can buy it ebay or amazon for $10).
Let it completely dry for a day. After its all dry, use rubbing compound to smooth in the touch up to blend with paint.
Rubbing compound on a brand new finish? OMG. You probably mean polishing compound, which is much finer than rubbing compound. Scratch X is a very fine polishing compound. And this is exactly why this is a bad idea. Use the wrong materials or poor technique, and before you know it you'll be having that door resprayed. And then you will probably have a paint match problem.

IF buffing with a very fine polishing compound isn't enough, I suggest taking it to a shop that specializes in touch up work, or talk to the used car department at your dealer. They will know people.

If you just can't resist the urge to use touch up paint, get some lacquer thinner and use that with a soft cloth to smooth over the inevitable blobs of paint. THEN go over it very lightly with a polishing compound, followed by cleaner wax.

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Wander some Flex seal tape could have fixed that!
Funny you should say that. I went that route and it lasted about two days before I couldn't take it any more. Then I scheduled with a body shop.

I have done the whole Bondo and smoothing and painting and wet sanding thing "back in the day" and the main thing I learned is that I will never DIY that on a car that doesn't already have one wheel in the grave.
The following users liked this post:
Midwestuser1 (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wander
Rubbing compound on a brand new finish? OMG. You probably mean polishing compound, which is much finer than rubbing compound. Scratch X is a very fine polishing compound. And this is exactly why this is a bad idea. Use the wrong materials or poor technique, and before you know it you'll be having that door resprayed. And then you will probably have a paint match problem.
Polishing compound will work too such as scratch X, I used Meguiar's G18016 Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound paste without issues. You only want to rub a little bit to smooth up and blend touch up with surrounding paint. you rub in like 1/2 inch area. You can polish it too. You have to do some rubbing if you want your touch up to blend in and be almost not noticeable.
sure you can take it body shop, but it all depends on how much work is needed, if its a tiny rock chip dot, I had no issues touching it up myself and buffing it out
Old 01-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Tomorrow.

I have the car 10 months, 4 days and nothing yet. But I'm sure just posting this is a jinx and the amnesty is up.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Tomorrow.

I have the car 10 months, 4 days and nothing yet. But I'm sure just posting this is a jinx and the amnesty is up.
I am sure I can find tinny stone chips on your bumper, it depends how hard you look... if you look, you will find
Old 01-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Drifting

The good news is that the bumpers are plastic and the hood is aluminum, so no chance of rust. Just keep a respectful distance and don't look too close!

And try not to get hit with big random pieces of who-knows-what.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
One month in we had a rock fly up and crack the windshield. The installer did a great job though with the new windshield and it looks good as new again.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I have this minor scratch the day after I took it home from the dealer. I took delivery during the night so couldn't see this scratch. It's under the driver side door handle. Not easily visible, but I notice it of course. This was second day of ownership that I noticed. I brought it back to dealer and they were able to get it out.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I am sure I can find tinny stone chips on your bumper, it depends how hard you look... if you look, you will find
That's normal wear. If you can't see it on a casual walk-around, it's not there. So far, all I've noticed on the front was bug splat. It's a bitch to get off but Turtle Wax Bug & Tar cleaner works pretty well with some elbow grease.

I mustered the courage last week to take it through a car wash for the first time (too cold now to wash it by hand and my hose bibs are shut off for the winter). It came out unscathed.

I park in suburban shopping centers all the time, so it's only a matter of time before I get my first shopping cart or door ding. But I always park at the outskirts of the lot and uphill. Carts roll downhill.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 01-05-2020 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wmkim (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Thats a right attitude. Cant obsess with it. If you really want a garage queen car, you need to have two cars, one beater car, and another one you keep in garage and drive on weekends in good weather only. But I found this to be expensive proposition: two insurances, both cars depreciate due to time, even if you keep one in immaculate shape with low miles. Its just not worth it, not with RDX, its not a collectable car.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
That's normal wear. If you can't see it on a casual walk-around, it's not there. So far, all I've noticed on the front was bug splat. It's a bitch to get off but Turtle Wax Bug & Tar cleaner works pretty well with some elbow grease.

I mustered the courage last week to take it through a car wash for the first time (too cold now to wash it by hand and my hose bibs are shut off for the winter). It came out unscathed.

I park in suburban shopping centers all the time, so it's only a matter of time before I get my first shopping cart or door ding. But I always park at the outskirts of the lot and uphill. Carts roll downhill.
I park in a covered deck in our office building but also on the ‘upward’ portion on the end. I’d feel better if I was able to enjoy it “stupid person opening a door-free” for at least a year. Haha.

Made the mistake of parking on the down-slant and got a huge dent (Over 1/4 inch and took the paint off to the metal beneath) on my passenger side door of my previous car.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
My windshield wiper carved a nice 5" scratch into my windshield within the first month or two. Dealership wasn't much help and I've still yet to get it repaired.