View Poll Results: Which of these two types of RDX would you prefer to see?
A hybrid
48.75%
A Type S
51.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

What would you prefer to see -- a Type S or a hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 298 Posts
What would you prefer to see -- a Type S or a hybrid?

Just a fun poll. Personally, I would like to see Acura make more hybrids so I can get better mpg around town and also move at slow speed without the engine.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 194 Posts
How about a performance hybrid that qualifies as a Type S? Take the current drivetrain and amp it up with 100hp worth of hybrid juice? MPGs go up by 5-6 while you get the performance of a Type S.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
RDX10 (10-23-2019), teh CL (10-23-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
How about a performance hybrid that qualifies as a Type S? Take the current drivetrain and amp it up with 100hp worth of hybrid juice? MPGs go up by 5-6 while you get the performance of a Type S.
That would be cool if they can pull it off, but I think what is more likely is one or the other.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Maybe they could call it a sport hybrid.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so a neutered version of the NSX power plant?
Old 10-18-2019, 08:30 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I think a hybrid is coming; Honda is just now releasing the CRV hybrid so I think an RDX can't be far behind. The CRV is up 22 HP from the non-hybrid model, and while there aren't any reviews yet, I expect that the torque from the electric motors will help apply those horses in a way that makes it just a touch faster than the regular CRV. Mileage is supposed to be on par with the RAV4 which is 41 city, 38 highway.

Obviously if RDX gets a hybrid it wouldn't be as efficient as the CRV but I think it could keep or even improve its sportiness, while getting significantly better mileage especially in the city.

While we're on the topic, I wouldn't mind having an Eco mode in the RDX; keep it in FWD unless there's slippage, decrease throttle response a bit. That might improve the MPG in the city a point or two.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I think a hybrid is coming; Honda is just now releasing the CRV hybrid so I think an RDX can't be far behind. The CRV is up 22 HP from the non-hybrid model, and while there aren't any reviews yet, I expect that the torque from the electric motors will help apply those horses in a way that makes it just a touch faster than the regular CRV. Mileage is supposed to be on par with the RAV4 which is 41 city, 38 highway.

Obviously if RDX gets a hybrid it wouldn't be as efficient as the CRV but I think it could keep or even improve its sportiness, while getting significantly better mileage especially in the city.

While we're on the topic, I wouldn't mind having an Eco mode in the RDX; keep it in FWD unless there's slippage, decrease throttle response a bit. That might improve the MPG in the city a point or two.
Because of the added weight, the 0-60 time may not change despite higher HP.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
That would be cool if they can pull it off, but I think what is more likely is one or the other.
I figure the Type S is a sure thing when the RDX gets a refresh - no point in building a twin turbo V6 if you're not going to put it it in everything particularly your best seller which competes with cars that all have turbo V6 options.

The hybrid is less likely but makes a lot of sense though I think the realistic drivetrain is the MDX Sport Hybrid one - a 3L V6 with rear electric motors, 321hp in the MDX and a 0-60 in 6s. It does a combined 27mpg in the MDX, would probably do 29mpg in the RDX.

I can't find the interview or article but Acura has said they aren't going to use the Honda hybrid systems as those are fuel economy focused and they want their hybrids to be performance focused and they've got the RLX, MDX, and NSX all running roughly the same type of hybrid system so that makes sense to spread it around the lineup.
anoop (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I figure the Type S is a sure thing when the RDX gets a refresh - no point in building a twin turbo V6 if you're not going to put it it in everything particularly your best seller which competes with cars that all have turbo V6 options.

The hybrid is less likely but makes a lot of sense though I think the realistic drivetrain is the MDX Sport Hybrid one - a 3L V6 with rear electric motors, 321hp in the MDX and a 0-60 in 6s. It does a combined 27mpg in the MDX, would probably do 29mpg in the RDX.

I can't find the interview or article but Acura has said they aren't going to use the Honda hybrid systems as those are fuel economy focused and they want their hybrids to be performance focused and they've got the RLX, MDX, and NSX all running roughly the same type of hybrid system so that makes sense to spread it around the lineup.
So many of the competitors have a more powerful engine option though, and I think Acura has a real desire to be competitive with the Germans on this. They can beat the lower-end models of the X3, GLC, Q5,etc but I think they still want to beat the upper trims. I mid-cycle engine option makes sense, especially if some of those competitors are going to be releasing new models.

I agree with you about the hybrid system from the MDX though, if they can make that fit.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
They need something that can compete against the X3 M40i, GLC 43, SQ5. As it currently stands, Acura doesn't really have anything that competes with the mid-trim Germans across any of their cars.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
They need something that can compete against the X3 M40i, GLC 43, SQ5. As it currently stands, Acura doesn't really have anything that competes with the mid-trim Germans across any of their cars.
The sales volumes on those are pretty low so it would make sense for Acura to skip that segment given their tighter resources.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

The sales volumes on those are pretty low so it would make sense for Acura to skip that segment given their tighter resources.
Tighter resources yes but the RDX's front end was designed to hold a V6 (can't find my source) so that TT V6 is definitely finding its way in there. The TT V6 is gonna be the Frank's Red Hot sauce of Acura (I put that shit in everything!), it's their one custom engine (except for the NSX V6) and I can't see how that thing isn't stuffed into everything they build sooner rather than later. Probably two flavours of it - a ~380hp low boost model and a 460hp high boost model.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Because of the added weight, the 0-60 time may not change despite higher HP.
But responsiveness would probably improve, and most of the time that's more important.

BTW, I agree that it would be silly to chase the low volume "look at me" AMGs, etc. Those are status cars as well as performance cars. Acura just doesn't have the nameplate.

Last edited by Wander; 10-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
But responsiveness would probably improve, and most of the time that's more important.

BTW, I agree that it would be silly to chase the low volume "look at me" AMGs, etc. Those are status cars as well as performance cars. Acura just doesn't have the nameplate.
To be fair neither does Audi, yet they still sell a bunch of S models.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I am somewhat surprised by the results of the poll. I was expecting the hybrid option to be way more popular among existing RDX owners, but the poll is actually pretty close. Hard to tell which is more likely.

One thing about the other brands like BMW, Audi, MB, etc. is a steady stream of rumors about the product pipeline which Acura doesn't seem to have.

See, e.g., this thread for BMW
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
Old 10-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I think there are 3 tiers now and Acura just needs to get into tier 2. At Audi it's A, S, RS, at BMW it's base, M Sport, M, Mercedes has base and two levels of AMG. Acura has base and errrrrrr.....Type S just gets them into the S and M Sport convo which is a highly lucrative market despite its low volume. Getting into the RS, M and top AMG level is a whole other conversation. That's Type R territory.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
The automotive world is moving towards electrification, so it makes sense that Acura should be moving in that direction. The kicker is, Acura could have already introduced Type-S variants by stuffing the RLX's J35 V6 / electric motors / dual clutch tranny into their current lineup. The upcoming V6T is great and all, but leave it to Acura to be a couple steps behind when everyone is going full tilt towards electric. Hell, even Mercedes recently announced they're no longer funding development of ICE for their next generation of vehicles and focusing on electric instead.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don’t think all manufacturers are necessarily on board with abandoning ICE. The only ones that I’m aware that have publicly announced that intention are Volvo and MB.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM
There are four lights!

ICE won't be dying off any time soon, but the transition to EV is inevitable. Personally, I'm not quite sold yet on pure EV vehicles, just because the charging infrastructure is still in its infancy, especially in North America where the distance from coast to coast is huge, and there's still many pockets where there's no charge stations, or limited numbers. The day I can charge my vehicle just as easily and quickly as I can fuel with an ICE vehicle, is the day I'll get an EV. In the meantime, I'm actually looking at a hybrid for my next vehicle, specifically the MDX Sport Hybrid.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 10-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Toyota probably sells more electrified vehicles than anyone else.

As publicly stated, their take is that there is a finite manufacturing capacity for rechargeable lithium ion batteries, and it makes more sense for them to build a relatively large number of hybrids rather than a relatively small number of purely electric vehicles. Given the enormous "refueling" infrastructure problem, I think they are right.

Give it a decade or two and the situation may change. But in the near term, ICEs aren't going away, for better or worse.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Toyota probably sells more electrified vehicles than anyone else.

As publicly stated, their take is that there is a finite manufacturing capacity for rechargeable lithium ion batteries, and it makes more sense for them to build a relatively large number of hybrids rather than a relatively small number of purely electric vehicles. Given the enormous "refueling" infrastructure problem, I think they are right.

Give it a decade or two and the situation may change. But in the near term, ICEs aren't going away, for better or worse.
Battery tech needs to improve. It doesn’t look like there has been all that much progress over the last several years. Even if we are willing to live with the shorter ranges currently on offer there are other issues like needing to keep the battery warm which makes it very impractical in super cold climates. It takes a lot of tax or other incentives to get folks to buy a pure electric now.

Hybrids are a good compromise for the average suburban dweller. For folks in rural areas even a hybrid is very suboptimal because they will need gas power all the time while hauling around a heavy battery.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If y'all wanted a hybrid, should've bought a Prius. I'm not pumping premium petrol so to give the appearance of giving a hoot about the end of the world in 12 years
Old 10-19-2019, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Guess I coulda bought an Escalade. But then I would have shitty unsupportive seats and a shitty land yacht suspension to go along with the shitty fuel economy.

But back to ICEs, MB saying they won't be putting further development into new ICE designs ( to try to squeeze more blood out of that turnip ) isn't the same thing as saying they won't use them anymore.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,828 Likes on 13,993 Posts
Type S would be my vote.
Midnight Mystery (10-19-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
At this stage, I would go for an X3 turbo 6 or an SQ5 instead of an RDX-S.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Type S for me if the specs are right.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:07 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I’d prefer the Type S since I’m a speed junkie. Hybrid would likely make more business sense for Acura though. Japanese automakers don’t seem to do very well with their performance cars as far as sales unfortunately.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leomio85
I’d prefer the Type S since I’m a speed junkie. Hybrid would likely make more business sense for Acura though. Japanese automakers don’t seem to do very well with their performance cars as far as sales unfortunately.
It depends. At the very high end, it’s almost impossible to find a Civic Type R for less than MSRP.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
If you're over 40 then the likelihood is that you want a hybrid if you're under 40 then likely the type s.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
It depends. At the very high end, it’s almost impossible to find a Civic Type R for less than MSRP.
True, but that might have a bit to do with dealership greed than actually strong sales figures. Acura really has get the price:performance ratio right. Rumor has it that the RDX is the next Type S after the TLX, which would be nice, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be priced too high to be competitive and won't be around for long. I hope I'm wrong. If it's well equipped for low 50k, it should be fine. Above that and you're competing directly with the German titans ... and let's be honest, even if Acura brings more performance to the table, I just don't feel like your average person is going to go for the Acura badge over BMW, MB or Audi. The fact that the RDX's infotainment, which is becoming the centerpiece of a vehicle, is becoming popularly known as being problematic isn't going to help future sales of any variety either.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmsanger
If you're over 40 then the likelihood is that you want a hybrid if you're under 40 then likely the type s.
So, for the next year you want a Type S, then you will trade it for a Hybrid?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
If I wanted a Type-S, it would be a sedan or roadster and not an SUV.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
If I wanted a Type-S, it would be a sedan or roadster and not an SUV.
Don't you want to race the Urus?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:15 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
We need sporty SUVs too!

In fact, didn't Acura leave space for a V6?

Hmmm......

Better yet, why nit BOTH!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
We need sporty SUVs too!

In fact, didn't Acura leave space for a V6?

Hmmm......

Better yet, why nit BOTH!
Agreed! Not everyone has the budget or garage space for a daily driver and fun car. Or if you need to haul kids and all their gear, but still want something practical and fun. Probably why I see lots of dads driving X5s and Cayennes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
Midnight Mystery (10-22-2019), teh CL (10-23-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Agreed! Not everyone has the budget or garage space for a daily driver and fun car. Or if you need to haul kids and all their gear, but still want something practical and fun. Probably why I see lots of dads driving X5s and Cayennes.
I'm not sure those are the practical and budget friendly alternatives, irrespective of garage space.

And that's precisely my concern about an RDX Type S: if it's priced like a mid-to-high end Cayenne or Macan, who in their right mind would buy one?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 PM
There are four lights!

I'm not sure those are the practical and budget friendly alternatives, irrespective of garage space.

And that's precisely my concern about an RDX Type S: if it's priced like a mid-to-high end Cayenne or Macan, who in their right mind would buy one?
They’re a hell lot more practical than my TLX and definitely more fun to drive. And even if they’re on the higher end of the price spectrum doesn’t mean the folks that are able to buy them don’t have set limits on their budgets.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Macan starts at 50K+ (with the base engine) and Cayenne at 65K+ (and they typically sell close to MSRP). RDX A-spec AWD is 46K (and it's possible to get amazing deals). There's plenty of room for Acura to introduce a Type S while still being priced very competitively, e.g. at an MSRP of about 52K, the competition cannot touch the RDX.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
I want a type-S but a true type-S. Not some 330hp thing that can't pull the skin off of hot milk. I want like a 400+hp bonkers RDX with brembos and a stiff suspension....etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
Midnight Mystery (10-23-2019), teh CL (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
I want a type-S but a true type-S. Not some 330hp thing that can't pull the skin off of hot milk. I want like a 400+hp bonkers RDX with brembos and a stiff suspension....etc.
That sounds more like a Type R than a Type S. Check this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...r-track-racer/
RDX10 (10-23-2019)

Quick Reply: What would you prefer to see -- a Type S or a hybrid?