weirdness with auto stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 397 Likes on 302 Posts
weirdness with auto stop

I come to a stop at parking spot and hit the brake -- engine shuts down.
I put the transmission in P -- engine starts back up.
I turn the car off.

Is there some way to avoid having the engine start back up only to be shut down by turning the car off?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I come to a stop at parking spot and hit the brake -- engine shuts down.
I put the transmission in P -- engine starts back up.
I turn the car off.

Is there some way to avoid having the engine start back up only to be shut down by turning the car off?
Just turn the ignition off - car will automatically shift to park if it's not already there.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
anoop (10-18-2018), subin (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Or just turn off the Auto Stop feature with the button on the dash. I'm in the habit now that when I'm going to park the car somewhere or drive into the garage, I just hit the button before shifting into Park.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Still beats me why they would design it that way.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Sounds like an annoying glitch
Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
I try to touch the brake lightly in that situation but sometimes it takes more pressure to hold the vehicle stopped.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:57 PM
2022 MDX Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Yeah that’s gotta be a software bug. There is no way the engine should restart when you put the car in park.

The workarounds seem reasonable, but really hope Acura addresses with an update.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I am still messing around with the auto-off and brake-hold systems. I don’t want to just junk them, but I haven’t yet found the best circumstances with which to use them.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by joeliu2003
Yeah that’s gotta be a software bug. There is no way the engine should restart when you put the car in park.
TLX and MDX do the same thing. I believe it’s a safety thing Acura does... that way people don’t park their cars and get out thinking they’re off because the engine isn’t running.

(yes people are that dumb)
The following 2 users liked this post by p07r0457:
billyt1963 (10-19-2018), Ender01 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I am still messing around with the auto-off and brake-hold systems. I don’t want to just junk them, but I haven’t yet found the best circumstances with which to use them.
I find the brake hold system really useful in drive thru's with long wait times. Auto off feature is just the manufacturer trying to save every droplet of fuel to try and get what they put on the window sticker.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ender01
I find the brake hold system really useful in drive thru's with long wait times. Auto off feature is just the manufacturer trying to save every droplet of fuel to try and get what they put on the window sticker.
So do you keep them both on in that circumstance?
Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Racer

I leave the engine auto start/stop on almost all the time. The only time I disable it is if I'm planning to "gun it" off the line -- I don't like racing the engine immediately after it restarts.

The Brake Hold is something I use in Drive-Thru lines. It really shines there. It works great with engine auto start/stop turned on. It's also useful in really awful 405-style traffic where you spend more time stopped than going, and when you're going it's just at a crawl.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:01 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by p07r0457

TLX and MDX do the same thing. I believe it’s a safety thing Acura does... that way people don’t park their cars and get out thinking they’re off because the engine isn’t running.

(yes people are that dumb)
It’s not just an Acura thing, my Mercedes operates the same way. The engine also fires up if you unlatch the driver seatbelt or open the driver side door. I don’t think it’s a software glitch. As you mentioned, it was designed that way to prevent people getting out of their cars with engine on auto stop. There’s no way around it other than turning the engine off prior to doing any of the procedures. Not a bad idea I would say.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Drifting

I leave the engine auto start/stop on almost all the time. The only time I disable it is if I'm planning to "gun it" off the line -- I don't like racing the engine immediately after it restarts.

The Brake Hold is something I use in Drive-Thru lines. It really shines there. It works great with engine auto start/stop turned on. It's also useful in really awful 405-style traffic where you spend more time stopped than going, and when you're going it's just at a crawl.
Thanks. The brake hold just feels weird to me, but I plan to work with it. My driveway is steep, and it seems to do a good job there. I guess I need to get used to it.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Racer

Thanks. The brake hold just feels weird to me, but I plan to work with it. My driveway is steep, and it seems to do a good job there. I guess I need to get used to it.
I wouldn't use it in normal driving or on your driveway. What is the benefit there? It's meant for stop-and-go situations where you're constantly switching from brake to accelerator. It really just relieves the need to constantly hold the brake pedal.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't use it in normal driving or on your driveway. What is the benefit there? It's meant for stop-and-go situations where you're constantly switching from brake to accelerator. It really just relieves the need to constantly hold the brake pedal.
The benefit there is that it holds the car on the brakes, and if I forget to manually set the parking brake, it might avoid having the car rest on the transmission Park pawl.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Racer

The benefit there is that it holds the car on the brakes, and if I forget to manually set the parking brake, it might avoid having the car rest on the transmission Park pawl.
I think Brake Hold ceases to function when you turn off the vehicle... So you'd still roll back onto the parking pawl.

What you should do is just set your parking brake.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Drifting

I think Brake Hold ceases to function when you turn off the vehicle... So you'd still roll back onto the parking pawl.

What you should do is just set your parking brake.
in an experiment, brake hold went right to parking brake.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake Hold I'm a fan. Engine shut off feature I'm not, but I can see why they do it. So I just would keep Brake Hold on. Gone are the days of simple cars, when all it took was a good, attentive driver. Now we have all these safety and convenience features that are more trouble then they are worth.
The following users liked this post:
K-redd (10-21-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ender01
Now we have all these safety and convenience features that are more trouble then they are worth.
Amid all the complex ones, there are some cool ones. The rear camera is very useful and parking sensors are very useful as well in tight parking spots. For folks in hilly areas like San Francisco, I'm sure brake hold is considered a huge help when they are going up a steep incline and hit a stop sign.

Some, I agree aren't very useful, e.g. blind spot detection and active cruise control.

If mirrors are adjusted correctly, blind spot detection is not needed. I'm not sure where I found this piece so I cannot credit the original source.
It's all done with mirrors. An important part of safe driving is knowing what is around you at all times. However, if your side-view mirrors are not set correctly, you might experience blind spots. Here are three suggestions for a clear view:
  • Step 1: Adjust your inside rear-view mirror to reflect the entire rear window. At night, if you don't have an auto-dimming mirror, use the mirror angle switch to eliminate headlight glare.
  • Step 2: While resting your head on the left window, adjust the left side-view mirror so you can see just beyond the car's left side.
  • Step 3: Align your head under the rear-view mirror, then adjust the right side-view mirror so you can see just beyond your car's right side.
Follow these simple instructions to see your way clear in all types of traffic, night and day!
And with active cruise control, the driver is still responsible if things go wrong so I would never use it. I don't have the concentration to stay attentive watching a machine doing a repetitive task. I'd rather just do the task myself.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Amid all the complex ones, there are some cool ones. For folks in hilly areas like San Francisco, I'm sure brake hold is considered a huge help when they are going up a steep incline and hit a stop sign.
Brake hold would be great for one-legged drivers stopped on hills. For everyone else the left leg & foot does a great job holding the brakes.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Amid all the complex ones, there are some cool ones. The rear camera is very useful and parking sensors are very useful as well in tight parking spots. For folks in hilly areas like San Francisco, I'm sure brake hold is considered a huge help when they are going up a steep incline and hit a stop sign.

Some, I agree aren't very useful, e.g. blind spot detection and active cruise control.

If mirrors are adjusted correctly, blind spot detection is not needed. I'm not sure where I found this piece so I cannot credit the original source.

And with active cruise control, the driver is still responsible if things go wrong so I would never use it. I don't have the concentration to stay attentive watching a machine doing a repetitive task. I'd rather just do the task myself.

Regarding the mirror adjustment, this is spot on. I was introduced to this technique way back in the mid-eighties when I was working with a temp transfer employee from Germany. If you set your mirrors as described and watch a car overtaking you in the left lane, as the cars rear corner is still visible in the center rearview mirror, the front appears in your side view mirror and as the rear corner of the car travels into the view of the side view mirror, you see the car in your peripheral vision as the front of the car is even with the drivers position. In other words, without turning your head (your eyes move enough to glance at the side view mirror) you never lose sight of a car overtaking you in the left lane, your blind spot is covered by your side view mirror. Also works for the right side, but the convex mirror helps a lot on that side.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts

in an experiment, brake hold went right to parking brake.
Doesn’t the RDX automatically go to parking mode when you open the driver’s door if engine is turned on? I thought it was a safety requirement for newer cars.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
Doesn’t the RDX automatically go to parking mode when you open the driver’s door if engine is turned on? I thought it was a safety requirement for newer cars.
I’m not sure if it’s a legal requirement, but all the manufacturers seemed to implement this logic following several reported deaths. I recall reading about the kid who played the Russian on Star Trek being killed by his Jeep Grand Cherokee after he got out of it without putting it in “Park” and it rolled and pinned him against another object.

note: this is just the vehicle putting the transmission into “Park” when opening the door — not the same as applying the parking brake.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Drifting

I haven’t worked out all the combinations, but I have gone back to the tried and true procedure when parking in my driveway: Stop the car, hold the foot brake, put it in Neutral. Set the parking brake, release the foot brake. Let it set, put it in Park, turn off the car. Been doing that for the 30+ years I’ve lived in this house with the only exception being putting it in gear when the car was an MT.

Since I always set the parking brake, it has never frozen on me.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently test drove a few RDX's and I really liked the brake hold feature especially since I have a steep driveway where it will help until I would put it into park. RE: opening doors and holding car, I know my Audi does that automatically but warns you to put the car in drive. Wow, remember when we actually had to KNOW what to do versus letting the car try and do it all for us? ;-)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:26 PM
9th Gear

Also does ANYONE actually use AUTO STOP, other than they forgot to disable it when they started the vehicle? I hate that feature ... period (on all cars).
Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by russbert
Wow, remember when we actually had to KNOW what to do versus letting the car try and do it all for us? ;-)
I think the problem with a lot of these technologies is that they are implemented very differently across different manufacturers. Once someone gets used to them in one car, they probably won't find it to be as much of a nuisance. But there is a learning curve and too many features. And if one has multiple cars, it becomes all the more difficult. In the era of iPhone where the device comes with a "getting started" card and no manual, nobody reads manuals anymore. I think manufacturers should instead have videos of the nanny systems for each model on their website. It would be much more effective as a training tool explaining what it was intended for and how it should be used, and where it is not recommended.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Also does ANYONE actually use AUTO STOP, other than they forgot to disable it when they started the vehicle? I hate that feature ... period (on all cars).
I generally leave it on unless there is a specific reason I need to be ready for instantaneous launch, like making a left after a stop, or needing to enter a highway from a stop.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 PM
9th Gear

I generally leave it on unless there is a specific reason I need to be ready for instantaneous launch, like making a left after a stop, or needing to enter a highway from a stop.
Well, that's one at least. I guess since I don't live in a large city / lots of congested traffic any more is the biggest reason I don't like the feature. Also, I didn't like the idea of the extra wear & tear on the starter. However, after a little quick research, I found this interesting article so maybe it's not such a big deal as I originally thought.

From AutoWeek:"As the name implies, automatic stop/start shuts off the engine instead of it idling at a stop and then rapidly restarts the engine when you want to drive away. If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, you're reducing emissions and saving fuel by not idling for extended periods. More important to the automakers, adding stop/start tech increases Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) figures, helping offset all those big SUVs being sold. Automatic stop/start systems do present engineering challenges. The electric starter that was designed to fire your engine a few times a day now has to start the same engine every time the car comes to a full stop. Obviously, a starter that was designed for 50,000 start cycles can't suddenly be responsible for 500K start cycles, so automakers have phased in special starters to better handle
the stress. The frequent cycling can strain internal engine parts, too. Most engine wear and tear happens during startup, so engineers have
. Better self-lubrication means the engine will be better protected until pressurized oil arrives after the engine is running. Even without special bearings, engine oil technology has also improved, meaning there's a better layer of protection already on the bearings to prevent excessive wear.
With automatic stop/start and an automatic transmission, holding the brake after coming to a complete stop will usually trigger the system to shut down the engine. Lifting your foot off the brake (and, on some systems, turning the steering wheel) will restart the engine, usually bringing it up to speed by the time your foot reaches the accelerator pedal. With a manual transmission, shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch generally switches off the engine; pushing in the clutch pedal starts it back up, and the car is ready to go by the time you have it in gear. Depending on the vehicle, the engine may also restart if the climate control system needs additional heating or cooling; the system may also deactivate if the weather outside is above or below a certain temperature.Will this save you thousands of dollars in gas? Not likely, but if you live in a congested area, the few extra miles you might get from a tank of fuel will add up, as will the less-visible emissions benefits. More importantly, you shouldn't have to worry about added stress on your car -- it's been engineered to deal with the new technology."
The following users liked this post:
DWG (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 PM
9th Gear

OK, so is there no way to quickly edit a post once its submitted? Not sure why the HUGE gap in my previous message but hopefully it still makes sense.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid and I wondered the same thing about the starter being asked to perform so many times but it's 9 years old and no hint of a problem. Of course on Tuesday it will be gone, replaced by the RDX.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Drifting

OK, so is there no way to quickly edit a post once its submitted? Not sure why the HUGE gap in my previous message but hopefully it still makes sense.
You have about 15 minutes after you post.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I always disable it, very simple....turn on engine/disable start/stop. I hate stop/start.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Racer

yes, I intentionally leave it on 99% of the time. I like it.the only time I disable it is if I’m planning to gun-it at a light. I don’t like putting high load on the engine right after it starts, so I’ll disable the auto-stop preemptively if I think I’ll need to floor it.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
This auto stop/start seems like a royal PIA. I don't want it. Some new models are coming through without a way to disable.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by R. White
This auto stop/start seems like a royal PIA. I don't want it. Some new models are coming through without a way to disable.
I honestly dont understand why people have a hard time with it. I haven’t heard any rational explanations. It all seems to be just “fear of change”.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Talking

I honestly dont understand why people have a hard time with it. I haven’t heard any rational explanations. It all seems to be just “fear of change”.
So, saying we JUST don't like it is irrational? We are all used to things changing constantly. I hate the hesitation while waiting for it to restart..

It's being forced on us.

It's irrational to me that you just accept it
Old 10-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
So, saying we JUST don't like it is irrational?
Actually, that's pretty much the dictionary definition of "irrational". Not providing a reasonable explaination and "just not liking it" is irrational.

weirdness with auto stop-toaqncn.png

And a synonym, which exactly matches:

weirdness with auto stop-juxr54f.png

It's being forced on us.
Who forced you to buy a new car?

I don't like CVTs, and no one forced me to buy an Infiniti QX60, so I bought a MDX, instead.

It's irrational to me that you just accept it
weirdness with auto stop-idaaoew.png
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Actually, that's pretty much the dictionary definition of "irrational". Not providing a reasonable explaination and "just not liking it" is irrational.

And a synonym, which exactly matches:

Who forced you to buy a new car?

I don't like CVTs, and no one forced me to buy an Infiniti QX60, so I bought a MDX, instead.

Oh my, looks who's the irrational one, bye bye

Last edited by Stew4HD; 10-22-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: weirdness with auto stop