Two Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Two Year Review

I bought my 2019 Advance SH-AWD on Feb 1, 2019, so it is a timely occasion to make a long-term review of my impressions of the car. In other threads some ask if the RDX is a wise purchase. In a word – Yes.

We purchased the car at a dealer 725 miles from our home as there is no Acura dealer in Montana. This was the biggest mental obstacle to overcome before we bought. The local Honda dealer advised that they could do anything we needed done, but Acura will not pay them for warranty work, so that was a major impediment. We took an extended test drive during a trip to the dealer in November ’18 (brother still lives in the dealers town, my childhood home), cancelled the other planned test drives we had planned (Audi, Volvo) as we both liked the Acura without reservation. Ordered it in December, waited 8 weeks for delivery (red with parchment interior.) Picked it off the truck on the coldest day of the winter (-18F when we landed), and drove home the next day, 735 miles in a single day, 12+ hours, with no incident. My previous car was a ’12 Highlander, which I thought was a very comfortable car, but I could never have made that drive in the Highlander. The seats, the driving position, the performance, quiet cabin, good music, etc., all come together to make highway driving a genuine pleasure.

Since day one, we have driven 31,320 miles, averaged 21.7 mpg at a cost of 13.8 cents per mile. No mechanical difficulties whatsoever, no major electronics issues (the TTI keypad has locked up a couple of times, always comes back on restart). No brake squeals, no squeaks/rattles, no moonroof or tailgate issues, no funky comms, infotainment or map issues, no limp mode, no suspension noises. I have noticed a squeak on very cold mornings recently, so the dreaded LCA bushing issue may be approaching. Made only one trip to the dealer service dept, when I was visiting brother. More of a courtesy visit than anything. Nothing found, nothing fixed.

One minor dumb-ass maneuver in a parking lot ($1900, my fault), two broken windshields, a ruined tire at 28k which resulted in 4 prematurely new tires; that has been the total universe of problems I have encountered. Three oil changes, one diff lube change, no other service issues. I have one ding in the hood from a rock (which could easily have been a third broken windshield), and a small unexplainable dime-size dimple in one fender. Other than that, it looks showroom quality when I take the time to detail it, and else looks good enough to get complements on a regular basis (I don’t like the wheels either, but no one has ever said “beautiful car, except for those butt-ugly wheels”).

A lot of things work together very well to make this car a superb driving experience – engine and drive train, suspension and tires, interior appointments, and electronic doo-dads. All together, I find the experience very satisfying. Much of our driving has been on the highway, including as many winding mountain roads as we can find. The smoothness and handling are a joy to behold, passing and stopping are nothing but confidence. Many of our routes have been at high elevations (nearby Bear Tooth Highway tops out at 11,000 ft), the power is virtually unchanged even at the highest elevations. I cannot say enough about the pleasure of driving this car.

Not many others have been allowed to drive it, but I used the valet parking service at the local health clinic just one time – the attendant commented when he brought it back “I LIKE that car!” I couldn’t agree more.

Aside from the total experience:

Best features:

HUD (developing cataracts, never have another car without this)
Heated Steering Wheel (they don’t call this Montana for nothing)
Outstanding Seats (aging bones really appreciate the many adjustment modes)
Superb audio (even though I mostly listen to XM/Cirius)

Worst features:

· Just one – that God-awful hesitation when trying to accelerate after braking without stopping. While I have devised several varied techniques to minimize this very annoying behavior, Acura really dropped the ball on this one. Since my part of town is populated with numerous round-abouts, this behavior is a constant irritation. Makes me wonder if anyone from Acura engineering ever actually drives the car. How they could let an otherwise fine driving experience be so spoiled by just one big flaw is simply beyond words.

Stuff I Really Like:

· ACC – First one I’ve ever had. I thought it was a foolish extravagance, but after using it, I’m sold. Use it all the time on the highway. After you get a few quirks figured out, it makes long boring drives easier and much safer.
· Voice Recognition – I don’t have a gripe with this as others have noted. Occasionally she won’t recognize a spoken address correctly, but overall it works quite well. Other than Nav, it works well with the infotainment, and for sending / receiving text messages.
· Driving Controls – In general I like the layout and operation of the various controls, with some reservations about the TTI. I will not be a fan of the now popular touchscreen-only controls.

Stuff That Could Be Improved:

· Aside from the HUD, the dashboard layout is almost Neanderthal. Busy, hard to read, poor switching mode, useless features (Minimal? Really?).
· Give me an indicator of what gear I’m in (a row of lights, numeric digital, or a bar graph would be really useful, preferably in the HUD).
· The TTI is not the disaster that some maintain, but has enough quirks to leave it outside the norm for such systems, and I doubt it will ever be adopted by other makers, thus leaving the occasional driver wondering how the dumb thing is supposed to work. Get a system together that works consistently with the native hardware/software, CarPlay, and Android Auto.
· Get a new map / nav system supplier. Make the map just a (good) map, I can find a coffee shop or library or grocery store on my phone if necessary. And enable naming saved locations, and remember the zoom scale.
· Whoever spent the programming time developing the ‘handwriting recognition’ software could have put some of that utterly wasted effort into a better dash display.
· Interior lighting is really numb. I’m not a fan of the variable-color glowing LED ropes that some makers are using, but at least some legitimate illumination in the foot wells would be helpful, as well as a light in the glove box, and the “map” lights are just another subject.
· I would rather have some additional headroom instead of the moon roof, I don’t see why this couldn’t be an option.
· Reduce the size of that dopey clown nose with the radar behind it.
· Make the wheel / tire combo a buyer selectable option.
· Put the damn remote start hardware in the car at the factory. Sell the fobs if you must, but tearing the entire interior apart to install it at the delivery dealer defies any logic.

Call me a fanboy, but all in, I love this car. Would I buy another? If I was buying today, probably. If I keep it a few more years, maybe not. I think the technology landscape will be (is) changing pretty rapidly in the coming years, I’ll reserve judgment until the time comes. When it does, I’ll look carefully at what Acura has to offer. Not having a dealer close by is a pretty big limitation. But I’ll never regret the pleasure of owning this one.

The following 10 users liked this post by MT-RDX:
amcobra (02-03-2021), B25Nut (02-09-2021), edu8rdo (02-05-2021), GW208 (02-03-2021), JB in AZ (02-03-2021), Jim7707 (02-03-2021), NBPDC505 (02-05-2021), ostrich (02-07-2021), russianDude (02-04-2021), savvich (02-05-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Good review. Regarding the hesitation on braking, that's also my biggest and probably only issue with the car, too. I don't know if this is possible for you, but I've sort of just started doing (illegal) rolling stops rather than coming to a complete stop at stop signs. If you do that and time it right, you can essentially eliminate the hesitation, so if you live in an area that is relatively unpopulated or not heavy on police, you could try doing that. I would also definitely purchase the car again, even though I don't need a CUV. The gas mileage is a little bit terrible (but understandable with the AWD and the size of the car), but the car is so nice to drive that I'm OK with it. I haven't had to use the interior lights much, but I will say that the interior passenger lights by the doors are basically worthless. They're like bright pinpoints of light that illuminate nothing. But that's a minor criticism.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
What a well written review! Thank you!

I bought mine 1/22/19, so just a few days ahead of you, @MT-RDX. I guess I can't complain about my Acura dealer being almost an hour away anymore!

I will write up a 2 year review on my '19 RDX Advance FWD (28,300 miles) tonight. Up to you if I post it in this thread or start a new one. Please let me know, as I don't want to step on your toes.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Everybody should post a review. Sometimes I get discouraged reading about the glitches and defects that crop up, but I try to think of it as just a car -- it's not perfect, there are improvements that could/should be made, and there are things that give me pleasure every time I get behind the wheel. Reading about the real issues (limp mode, squealing brakes, breaking glass, etc) reinforces why I was hesitant to buy living so far away from a dealer (the closest is 450 miles, I bought mine 725 miles away).
Old 02-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Ironic, we also bought a new 2012 Highlander, a loaded Limited AWD model. Sometimes I miss that car, but it didn't have many of the things our RDX has. We also found it comfortable, and we drove it RT across the US from AZ to Baltimore once, and from AZ to FL, twice. Actually, one of those to FL was only one way, to FL, as I replaced it with (as I duck down) a Prius V, while "out East" ...which was totaled 2 weeks after we bought it new. Reason for buying the Prius? Fuel economy. At the time, we were paying more than twice what we are now for gas, and our finances were not the same, by a long shot. Our average mpg on the Highlander was 20.9 mpg, For reference, our current average on the RDX is 27mpg. I am/was the driver of both, 99.9% of the time.

I will now compose my two year review. Might take me a while.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Just a thought, but are you sure there is no light in the glovebox. It only works when the lights are on. My MDX and previous gen RDX have a light. That said, the number of times I have used the light in the glovebox, I can count on one hand.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 PM
Advanced

I was wanting more of a real light, not just a glow in the corner. The usual occupant of the passenger seat mutters foul language every time she looks in there for something.
The following users liked this post:
NBPDC505 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 PM
Drifting

This review will not be as detailed and well thought out as MT-RDX's review. Up until we bought the RDX, my previously mentioned Highlander Limited AWD was probably the most expensive vehicle we had owned. We probably overstepped our finances at that time.

Let me start out by saying I am very critical of my vehicles.

On Jan 22, 2019, I traded a 2018 CR-V Touring FWD in on my 19 RDX Advance FWD. I was very happy with the CR-V, but "things aligned" and I wanted to go upscale. I compared many other brands, and ended up with the RDX for a few reasons. 1) I was very happy with the CR-V and therefore Honda. 2) The price of the competition was far higher.

Overall, I have been extremely happy with it. I knew during several (NUMEROUS) test drives that the brake pedal felt "soft". It was addressed rather quickly by Acura with a TSB, and then again, with an updated TSB. This should have been a clue to me the way Acura does things, perhaps not figuring out everything fully before it goes "live". One of my many "wants" was Android Auto, which was promised by Acura when I purchased. It took WAY longer than anyone expected at the time. But it DID come, and the OTA software update that provided it fixed a large number of infotainment issues, that were more annoyances to me than real problems. Yet they bothered me, as this was the most expensive vehicle I had ever purchased, and I expected better. I was good at using the TTI within a few days, but after living with it for two years, I will probably prefer a touch screen for my next vehicle.

-The RDX seats are the best I have ever had, bar none...and I thought the Highlander had comfy seats!

-The RDX sound system is the best I have ever heard in an automobile, and like MT-RDX, I usually listen to SiriusXM.

-The RDX handles and corners better than any other vehicle I have owned, and I have owned many, including Mustangs, Camaros, etc. without having to sit "on the ground"

-The RDX rides a little bit firmer than I would prefer for everyday driving, on many roads. I wish the drive modes included a Comfort mode that was just a notch more comfortable. The Advance DOES have adaptive dampers! And I wish that the drive modes were configurable, as I understand the new MDX will have.

-The RDX is quiet on most road surfaces around here, but there are some road surfaces that are louder. I know this has been an oft mentioned subject on the forum. I knew what it offered when I bought it, and I am not disappointed. The "road noise" does get louder as tires wear. I suspect within the next 8,000-10,000 miles (around 30,000?) I will be buying new tires, and it will seem so much quieter.

-The RDX just meets my expectations for fuel economy, and I use regular unleaded every fill up. I have often exceeded EPA ratings on Hondas.

-The RDX accelerates amazingly when pushed, and even when not pushed, it is effortless to accelerate up to and above freeway speeds. I have experienced the "hesitation" mentioned here. Perhaps I drive more conservatively, or the traffic where I drive doesn't present the situation others are upset about, but it is not an issue for me.

- I love the safety features the RDX offers, and I use them all, all the time: ACC, with low speed follow/stop, LKAS, LDWS, EXCEPT the Blind spot indicators...(see below in Disappointments).

-I love the HUD.

-Rattles, squeaks? No not really. I had heard the brake squeak one time, and told the service advisor about it in passing during a routine service. They replaced the front rotors and pads all around. I had the "drive mode not available" message once, the cluster replacement TSB seems to have resolved it. These are just two issues I referred to when I said Acura seems to not figure out everything fully before they go live. Credit to them for continuing to update some of these things.

-Another of my "wants" when purchasing was the kick to open/close tailgate, and I/we use it almost every time we go out shopping.

Disappointments:
-I dislike the placement of the blind spot indicators. They are almost unusable for me. I expect them on the mirror, and that's where they should be. Placed where they are, they are not bright enough during our bright sunny day times, here in the desert. The beeping sound is good, however, and I ALWAY use my turn signals. So this warns me if there happens to be a car in my blind spot that I missed. I did learn to drive before we even had seat belts, so I always look over my shoulder anyway..

- The Advance wheels? Eh, I don't like them, I don't hate them...certainly not enough to spend big bucks to replace them. Every time I see a Tech trim, I wish the Advance had those wheels. But, once I get behind the steering wheel, the other wheels do not matter.

Overall I love the RDX. Would I buy another? TODAY? Yes, knowing what the competition has to offer. A year or two from now? Unknown, as I will have to see what else is available at that time, and at what price. As many here have said, price and upkeep costs were a big part of our decisions to buy the RDX. I share those thoughts. Maybe I won't buy another Acura, as I like to experience and enjoy different vehicles, and I might be running out of time to do that. Certainly not because I have been unhappy with my RDX.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-03-2021 at 09:50 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
amcobra (02-04-2021), B25Nut (02-09-2021), GW208 (02-03-2021), MT-RDX (02-04-2021), NBPDC505 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
...The "road noise" does get louder as tires wear. I suspect within the next 8,000-10,000 miles (around 30,000?) I will be buying new tires, and it will seem so much quieter.
Typo.... I currently have 28,000 miles, and I will likely buy tires within the next 8,000-10,000 miles, but my odometer will then have around 36,000-38,000 miles.
Wish I could still edit my post. Oh well.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:19 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Good review MT-RDX.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you've posted so far especially with your "best" features - myself being a relative RDX / SUV / CUV newbie with only 6 months in. The heated steering wheel - I did not really understand why one would want that option since I've never had an automobile with one, but after digging out my Advance from a snowstorm recently in sub-freezing temps it was one of the BEST things ever.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:28 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Disappointments:
-I dislike the placement of the blind spot indicators. They are almost unusable for me. I expect them on the mirror, and that's where they should be. Placed where they are, they are not bright enough during our bright sunny day times, here in the desert. The beeping sound is good, however, and I ALWAY use my turn signals. So this warns me if there happens to be a car in my blind spot that I missed. I did learn to drive before we even had seat belts, so I always look over my shoulder anyway..
This was a very cool safety demo from the dealer when we were looking at the RDX, but agree with you JB about the brightness factor during the day. The only environment I really appreciate the blind spot indicators is at night, especially on the freeway. It's the first place my eyes are directed to when doing a lane change, then naturally it's SMOG after that...

Old 02-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Banned

I did learn to drive before we even had seat belts, so I always look over my shoulder anyway.
That's what you should do. This is basically the divide in owner mentality. There are some drivers who complain about things like the LKAS or the blind spot indicator and the reason is because they are, frankly, unable to drive a car and therefore need the car to keep them in their lane or tell them not to change lanes. People in this camp may find that insulting, but if it wasn't true then it wouldn't be an issue. I realize that someone could argue that the manufacturer put in the feature, but all of those features state that they are not guaranteed and the driver is still responsible for driving the car, so there shouldn't be anything to complain about. The other group of drivers can drive their car and therefore these features are interesting, but not particularly necessary. For example, I've seen arguments about where the best place to put the blind spot indicator is and I have no idea because I'm never searching for it. I just check my blind spot.

BTW, before someone gets all clever and posts my thread where I was asking about the LKAS, I was only asking how it worked because I didn't know how to use it and hadn't used it for the entire time I owned my car. So it was an academic question and I didn't particularly care that it wasn't a great system in the end, since I still have never used it.

Last edited by DriverOne; 02-04-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:57 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Ironic, I recently received a one year anniversary email from Acura and wrote a review, but decided to hold it. Not surprising, my experience overlaps a good bit with the others here.

Cliff Notes version:
I'm happy overall with the car. I don't at all regret the desicion, but I'm likely done with non-hybrid T4 engines.

From a design and engineering standpoint, my primary dislikes are: rear visibility, low power shifting, and lag when power is needed immediately.

I like nearly everything else about the car -- many things very much: seats, headlights, HUD, ELS, infotainment (!), style, space.

The one nagging concern I have that could destroy the relationship is the "limp mode" thing. I hate that it's always a potential problem and wish Honda would make it a recall fix and not a TSB.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Great review. Overall, also happy with the car - and like you, the instrument cluster drives me nuts. What's worse is that I "traded up" from a 2019 Accord Touring - and the instrument cluster on that is/was WAY more luxurious and useable than on the 2021 RDX Advance I'm in now. I don't understand what the heck is going on over there at Honda/Acura - but it makes NO sense to me that the Accord would have better technology than any Acura. (The 2019 Accord also has a charging pad and the 2021 will have wireless AA and CP.) I'd love to keep this car at the end of the lease - but with the leaps other brands have made with their current models' interiors, the expected reliability of a Honda/Acura might not be enough of a selling point to keep it, or consider another Acura when the lease is up.

Last edited by edu8rdo; 02-04-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-04-2021, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edu8rdo
What's worse is that I "traded up" from a 2019 Accord Touring - and the instrument cluster on that is/was WAY more luxurious and useable than on the 2021 RDX Advance I'm in now.
I like Hondas and was looking at Accords before I decided to move up to an Acura, but I went to the Honda website and looked at the interior photos to refresh my memory. The instrument cluster looks pretty generic (not "bad" generic, but just generic) to me: it's two dials with information in between them. It looks almost exactly like an Acura one. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
JB covered a lot of what I would say about the RDX. I too came from a CR-V Touring, a 2017 in my case. Before that one I had a 2012 CR-V, a very nice vehicle at the time I got it. The 2017 was a big step up from the 2012. I had looked at the RDX in 2017 but it was still the older generation and my wife described it as an "overpriced CR-V". The 2019 RDX caught my eye due to the interior and all the features. I am a car guy, having spent my working career in the industry. Since I no longer get "free" new cars I am picky about what I buy with my own money. I looked at all the vehicles in this class before picking the RDX. The German cars were nice but I knew only too well the price of their upkeep and their lower resale value on the other end. I would have liked to have had a V-6 engine but this class of vehicles seem to have all gone the direction of a two liter turbo power plant.

After two years with my Advance I love it as much, or more ,now than when new. I like the interior, well most of it at least, no car is perfect. I love my HUD and would not have bought any model without it. I wanted the heated, and cooled, seats so that was a no brainer decision to go with the Advance.
What I like:
Performance...meaning the entire driving experience. Power to pass going up a mountain, handling, steering response, braking. All good. Suspension system with modes and computer control; love it! As for that "lag"; having been involved with turbo cars since the 1960's (yes, we had them back then on GM's like the Corvair Spider) I was use to that and mostly "drive around it" as they say. Compared to the older turbo cars I was use to the RDX isn't that bad at all and with good driving technique its hardly an issue.
Transmission:Love it. Again, learning to drive the car at its peak, not just floor it and expect it to do all the work, the 10 speed is a joy to hear go through the gears. Reminds me of F1 cars when they are slapping the paddles at WOT.
Seats: Grade A for me. I love all the adjustments so I can make them fit just right. Fun to watch on the screen as you get into the detail adjustments. Wife gets a kick out of that one also.
Sound system: Oh yes! Love it.
Headlights: I have old eyes and the LED's are just wonderful for me.
HVAC: Zero complaints. Some think it doesn't work as well as it should but maybe after decades working with so many different vehicles I just sort of quickly figure out how to make it do what I want. I quickly adapt to learn what settings to make rather than bitch and moan about how it doesn't work the way I think it should.
Safety systems: Very much like my previous CR-V. Love the adaptive cruise and like that the Collision mitigation system is watching out for me. Some complain but I have had it intervene a few times when it saved my bacon from less careful drivers and pedestrians.
Steering wheel controls: Over all I like what I can do with them.
Over the air updates: Oh yeah! What a hoot, just sit in my garage and the vehicle updates itself.
My dealer: Only five miles away and they take good care of us. Nice folks.

What I am neutral about:

Interior space. But, I should qualify that. I came out of a 2017 CR-V, a car that is always mentioned as having the most usable space for its size. Honda does a great job at taking advantage of space. Our Fit is the same. It seems bigger on the inside than the outside. The RDX due to all the extra body work to maintain rigidity with that waste of a panoramic roof (I know, you love it but many of us don't). Also the rigid body is needed to make the vehicle handle better. Its not a big issue, just something I notice compared to my CR-V.
The factory Advance model wheels. Heck, my 2015 Fit EX-L has prettier wheels! But, they are not a deal breaker. I sometimes think Acura wanted them to be "plain Jane" so the dealer could sell you something nicer (at a giant profit).
Factory OEM tires. The Conti's are common on many vehicles in this class. They are OK but there are better choices. I can live with them but will look for something better when they need replaced.
Road noise: Not terrible. More quiet than my CR-V ,much more quiet than my Fit, but not as quiet as my neighbor's much more costly Lexus 350. But then his Lexus has so much rubber in it you seem isolated from the drive.
Those blind spot warning lights..... I noticed those the first time I looked at an RDX (which was the previous generation). I even asked the sales person why they put them where they were and not in the mirror. No good answer to that. I have gotten use to them but still the outside mirror seems to make the most sense.
The touch pad thing: I am not against it. I quickly got use to it and actually have to admit I like it better than a touch screen. Nothing is perfect and it fits that description. I am OK with it and even like it in some regards. Guess there is no one perfect system out there.

Things I don't like, as in things I would change:
Not much. Sure, make it quieter but not by insulating the road feel. Nicer wheels that aren't a $3,000 option! A little bigger display for the Nav system. A few minor items that are actually too small to even mention.

Over all I like the car a lot. Yes, I would buy it again. Will I buy another? Can't say as that is a few years away. When the next generation comes out I will look at it and the competition's choices. I am lucky that I can afford what I want (due mainly for not liking vehicles that are grossly over prices like BMW, MB and some other German brands). I may keep it a few years or if the new replacement looks good I may update. Wait a few more years and see. I am in no hurry.

The following 4 users liked this post by hans471:
amcobra (02-05-2021), GW208 (02-04-2021), JB in AZ (02-05-2021), NBPDC505 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:32 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I enjoy reading the reviews of the RDX in this thread. Great comments about their experiences. So refreshing to read about likes and dislikes without thrashing the Acura Brand. For the most part no “expert” engineers, marketing, design, sales statistics, assembly, pricing, audiophiles - on the “Perfect” vehicle. Just real world comments. 👍
Old 02-05-2021, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Great reviews from you all, I had one as a loaner and really liked it. I did not experience the hesitation but only had it for 2 days,.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I’ve had my 2020RDX Technology version for about 1 1/2 years now. It replaced a 2012 Tucson.

Overall, I like the vehicle. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time, replacing them when repair costs get too high. I hope the RDX is a keeper for a while.

what I like:
I like the size. We no longer have kids at home, so we don’t need a large vehicle. When we do, my F-150 Supercrew does the trick. For me, this small CUV fits the bill.

The RDX has plenty of power. While my Tucson was incredibly reliable, even putting on the ski racks seemed to slow it down. Not so with the RDX, it has plenty of oomph, especially in Sport + mode.

The SH-AWD is amazing, even on dry pavement.

The lights are fantastic! They were a bit weak on my Tucson, and are abysmal on my F-150. The RDX lights really light up the road.

The rear-view camera is great, as long as you keep the lens clean.

I love the panoramic sunroof. Even with the glass closed, I typically keep the shade open.

My dealer so far has been fantastic.

What I don’t like:
As mentioned, the hesitation between stopping and accelerating. Drives me nuts!

Fake engine noise....don’t need it! Seems to me the engineers should have spent more time on something that would actually improve the vehicle.

As mentioned, why does a car that cost as much as an RDX not have remote start from the factory? Sure, you can subscribe to the app, but $100/year? Really? My F-150 (low trim level) came with a free app (better than Acura’s app) AND remote start with a key fob.

Im still meh on the infotainment interface, it could be better. Speaking of the infotainment, it takes quite a while to boot up, which is annoying.

Why are the roof rails such s pain to install? It took about 10 seconds to install the rails on my Tucson. The RDX requires removing rubber plugs, using an Allen wrench, etc. Takes about 10 minutes to install, and they’re not even adjustable.

While I like the backup camera, it is prone to becoming dirty quickly. Having the washer for the camera should be standard on all trim levels, not just the top of the line model.

I had the limp mode issue. Dealer was great, but couldn’t find the issue. This is very scary when it happens on a highway with trucks barreling down on you.

I wish the vehicle had the oomph in Sport mode that it does in Sport +, but allowed the trans to use all gears.

Would I buy it again? Possibly.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
I’ve had my 2020RDX Technology version for about 1 1/2 years now. It replaced a 2012 Tucson.

Overall, I like the vehicle. I typically keep my vehicles for a long time, replacing them when repair costs get too high. I hope the RDX is a keeper for a while.

what I like:
I like the size. We no longer have kids at home, so we don’t need a large vehicle. When we do, my F-150 Supercrew does the trick. For me, this small CUV fits the bill.

The RDX has plenty of power. While my Tucson was incredibly reliable, even putting on the ski racks seemed to slow it down. Not so with the RDX, it has plenty of oomph, especially in Sport + mode.

The SH-AWD is amazing, even on dry pavement.

The lights are fantastic! They were a bit weak on my Tucson, and are abysmal on my F-150. The RDX lights really light up the road.

The rear-view camera is great, as long as you keep the lens clean.

I love the panoramic sunroof. Even with the glass closed, I typically keep the shade open.

My dealer so far has been fantastic.

What I don’t like:
As mentioned, the hesitation between stopping and accelerating. Drives me nuts!

Fake engine noise....don’t need it! Seems to me the engineers should have spent more time on something that would actually improve the vehicle.

As mentioned, why does a car that cost as much as an RDX not have remote start from the factory? Sure, you can subscribe to the app, but $100/year? Really? My F-150 (low trim level) came with a free app (better than Acura’s app) AND remote start with a key fob.

Im still meh on the infotainment interface, it could be better. Speaking of the infotainment, it takes quite a while to boot up, which is annoying.

Why are the roof rails such s pain to install? It took about 10 seconds to install the rails on my Tucson. The RDX requires removing rubber plugs, using an Allen wrench, etc. Takes about 10 minutes to install, and they’re not even adjustable.

While I like the backup camera, it is prone to becoming dirty quickly. Having the washer for the camera should be standard on all trim levels, not just the top of the line model.

I had the limp mode issue. Dealer was great, but couldn’t find the issue. This is very scary when it happens on a highway with trucks barreling down on you.

I wish the vehicle had the oomph in Sport mode that it does in Sport +, but allowed the trans to use all gears.

Would I buy it again? Possibly.
Forgot to add a dislike that I remembered as I cleared snow from my RDX this morning. Having to put the wipers in “maintenance mode” to lift them is ridiculous. Makes it difficult to clear the snow. What made Acura think this was s good idea?
The following users liked this post:
B25Nut (02-09-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
I like Hondas and was looking at Accords before I decided to move up to an Acura, but I went to the Honda website and looked at the interior photos to refresh my memory. The instrument cluster looks pretty generic (not "bad" generic, but just generic) to me: it's two dials with information in between them. It looks almost exactly like an Acura one. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.
In pictures - it'll look like two static analog dials, but it's actually both digital and analog. Below is a screenshot of the TLX (essentially what the RDX has) compared against the Accord.

On the left, where the tachometer is located, it can be modified to something else like the fuel info, navigation, album art for the track being listened to, and other stuff. You could even combine the tachometer and the other options if you wanted. Additionally, the typeface was simple but large, and the colors bright. Ultimately, along with the HUD I was able to create a view of all the important stuff to me for that particular drive. It was a clean look - and in no situation did I think - "well, this needs to have a minimal view with a 'Minimal' title statically placed above an empty space so I can always see it has been minimized". Even the fuel and engine temperature are placed on the outside ends of the cluster - preventing the cluttered look that Acura appears to have embraced.

Accord vs TLX instrument cluster

That said, there are reasons I went with the RDX and didn't just keep the Accord. I'm content with the RDX, this is just one of those things that I expect Acuras to have first, that would trickle down to the Hondas, not the other way around.

Below are some videos (I spent way too much time gathering ...) that show the cluster in action:

https://youtu.be/F2xQKHPrVrc?t=24
^the first 8 minutes goes over several of the views;

https://youtu.be/7zV-ov0E51k?t=268
^while it's the hybrid version (which includes battery info), this quickly touches on some of the benefits of the displays;

https://youtu.be/jwKuKpfeVqk?t=5
^goes over enabling a setting that allows the tachometer to appear around any custom options (nothing fancy, but I'm sure beneficial for those using paddle shifters and manual);

https://youtu.be/zEwZM5mP3QA?t=803
^quick view and commentary about the half cluster approach;

https://youtu.be/PZWWa4WX6Og?t=287
^TLX v Accord comparison video, and screenshot source

Last edited by edu8rdo; 02-05-2021 at 02:24 PM. Reason: removing links - allowing viewers to view video at bookmarked point
Old 02-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
JB covered a lot of what I would say about the RDX. I too came from a CR-V Touring, a 2017 in my case. Before that one I had a 2012 CR-V, a very nice vehicle at the time I got it. The 2017 was a big step up from the 2012. I had looked at the RDX in 2017 but it was still the older generation and my wife described it as an "overpriced CR-V". The 2019 RDX caught my eye due to the interior and all the features. I am a car guy, having spent my working career in the industry. Since I no longer get "free" new cars I am picky about what I buy with my own money. I looked at all the vehicles in this class before picking the RDX. The German cars were nice but I knew only too well the price of their upkeep and their lower resale value on the other end. I would have liked to have had a V-6 engine but this class of vehicles seem to have all gone the direction of a two liter turbo power plant.

After two years with my Advance I love it as much, or more ,now than when new. I like the interior, well most of it at least, no car is perfect. I love my HUD and would not have bought any model without it. I wanted the heated, and cooled, seats so that was a no brainer decision to go with the Advance.
What I like:
Performance...meaning the entire driving experience. Power to pass going up a mountain, handling, steering response, braking. All good. Suspension system with modes and computer control; love it! As for that "lag"; having been involved with turbo cars since the 1960's (yes, we had them back then on GM's like the Corvair Spider) I was use to that and mostly "drive around it" as they say. Compared to the older turbo cars I was use to the RDX isn't that bad at all and with good driving technique its hardly an issue.
Transmission:Love it. Again, learning to drive the car at its peak, not just floor it and expect it to do all the work, the 10 speed is a joy to hear go through the gears. Reminds me of F1 cars when they are slapping the paddles at WOT.
Seats: Grade A for me. I love all the adjustments so I can make them fit just right. Fun to watch on the screen as you get into the detail adjustments. Wife gets a kick out of that one also.
Sound system: Oh yes! Love it.
Headlights: I have old eyes and the LED's are just wonderful for me.
HVAC: Zero complaints. Some think it doesn't work as well as it should but maybe after decades working with so many different vehicles I just sort of quickly figure out how to make it do what I want. I quickly adapt to learn what settings to make rather than bitch and moan about how it doesn't work the way I think it should.
Safety systems: Very much like my previous CR-V. Love the adaptive cruise and like that the Collision mitigation system is watching out for me. Some complain but I have had it intervene a few times when it saved my bacon from less careful drivers and pedestrians.
Steering wheel controls: Over all I like what I can do with them.
Over the air updates: Oh yeah! What a hoot, just sit in my garage and the vehicle updates itself.
My dealer: Only five miles away and they take good care of us. Nice folks.

What I am neutral about:

Interior space. But, I should qualify that. I came out of a 2017 CR-V, a car that is always mentioned as having the most usable space for its size. Honda does a great job at taking advantage of space. Our Fit is the same. It seems bigger on the inside than the outside. The RDX due to all the extra body work to maintain rigidity with that waste of a panoramic roof (I know, you love it but many of us don't). Also the rigid body is needed to make the vehicle handle better. Its not a big issue, just something I notice compared to my CR-V.
The factory Advance model wheels. Heck, my 2015 Fit EX-L has prettier wheels! But, they are not a deal breaker. I sometimes think Acura wanted them to be "plain Jane" so the dealer could sell you something nicer (at a giant profit).
Factory OEM tires. The Conti's are common on many vehicles in this class. They are OK but there are better choices. I can live with them but will look for something better when they need replaced.
Road noise: Not terrible. More quiet than my CR-V ,much more quiet than my Fit, but not as quiet as my neighbor's much more costly Lexus 350. But then his Lexus has so much rubber in it you seem isolated from the drive.
Those blind spot warning lights..... I noticed those the first time I looked at an RDX (which was the previous generation). I even asked the sales person why they put them where they were and not in the mirror. No good answer to that. I have gotten use to them but still the outside mirror seems to make the most sense.
The touch pad thing: I am not against it. I quickly got use to it and actually have to admit I like it better than a touch screen. Nothing is perfect and it fits that description. I am OK with it and even like it in some regards. Guess there is no one perfect system out there.

Things I don't like, as in things I would change:
Not much. Sure, make it quieter but not by insulating the road feel. Nicer wheels that aren't a $3,000 option! A little bigger display for the Nav system. A few minor items that are actually too small to even mention.

Over all I like the car a lot. Yes, I would buy it again. Will I buy another? Can't say as that is a few years away. When the next generation comes out I will look at it and the competition's choices. I am lucky that I can afford what I want (due mainly for not liking vehicles that are grossly over prices like BMW, MB and some other German brands). I may keep it a few years or if the new replacement looks good I may update. Wait a few more years and see. I am in no hurry.
Re: Corvair Spider turbo: I checked my insurance rates and decided the 1966 140 hp 4-carb Corsa model better suited my needs than the turbo. (Mustang/Chevelle/Camaro-baiting: Do a Don Garlits start from a traffic light, then watch the muscle cars roar by when I shifted to second. Usually there was a radar trap within a block or so where they got nailed and I sauntered by under the limit.) No lag with the 4 carbs.

My big issue with our '20 Advance is the touchpad. I've bought my last car without a touch screen. The second annoyance, even after the latest upgrade, is that the map does not resume the last zoom level - I have to use the dreaded touch pad to reset the zoom where I want it.

The car is otherwise perfect, the best of 31 (so far). Love the HUD, the seating, the acceleration, the handling, perfect for cross-country trips, just everything but those annoyances above.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This thread is absolute gold. Any chance we can sticky it with a heading of "Long term user reviews" or something similar?

The content here is super valuable, especially for someone researching the car for purchase. It's balanced (rather than a hailstorm of gripes that are inevitable in discussion forums) and consolidates pros and cons from a variety of owners with different tastes and experiences.

It's absolutely brilliant. Great job all.
The following 2 users liked this post by tuna piano:
amcobra (02-06-2021), JB in AZ (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:43 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by tuna piano
This thread is absolute gold. Any chance we can sticky it with a heading of "Long term user reviews" or something similar?

The content here is super valuable, especially for someone researching the car for purchase. It's balanced (rather than a hailstorm of gripes that are inevitable in discussion forums) and consolidates pros and cons from a variety of owners with different tastes and experiences.

It's absolutely brilliant. Great job all.
Well, I already posted a summary of a review I wrote a while ago, but not the full version. Since there may be some value in more details, here is the full version. Sorry for the partial duplication.

One full year

My anniversary email from Acura came as a "one year already? " surprise. Even though it's only been about 5k miles in that covid year, here are my thoughts.

TL;DR: I'm happy overall with the car. I don't at all regret the desicion, but I'm likely done with T4 engines.

I'll focus on dislikes because they are the significant minority. The only issues I've had in year one are: minor, intermittent technology bugs, and the brake squeal on cool mornings. (Interesting that it doesn't seem to squeal near freezing or lower temps) I can live with this, and likely won't bother with the TSB for the brakes. My Mazda also squeals a little when cool and it just doesn't bother me.

From a design and engineering standpoint, my primary dislikes are: rear visibility, part-throttle shifting, and lag when power is needed immediately -- this being the most significant. I knew about all these things upfront and still chose this vehicle. I assumed none would be deal-breakers, and they aren't... for now. The camera compensates for poor over-the-shoulder visibility, and the slightly "lurchy" part-throttle shifting is annoying, but only mildly. But, I truly dislike the trans/turbo lag when giving it the beans. I haven't driven many high-gear-count/turbo vehicles, but I think this is largely the nature of the beast. Because of this belief, I really expect this to be my last, pure ICE, 4 cylinder vehicle. Unless I find a hybrid assist that fills in that small engine/many gears lag, I'm done with 4 cylinders. For now though, this is not enough to cause buyer's remorse.

Honestly, I like nearly everything else about the car -- many things very much: seats, headlights, ELS, infotainment (!), style. I still think it is a tremendous value for what you get. I don't really feel this is a true luxury car, but that's not important to me. I do wish the dealer experience was less Honda and more luxury-ish, but again, no big deal for me.

Caveat: The one nagging concern I have that could destroy the relationship is the "limp mode" thing. I hate that it's always a potential problem and wish Honda would make it a recall fix and not a TSB. If this had happened to me in the first year, I'd almost certainly be posting stuff in another brand's owners group.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJA123:
amcobra (02-06-2021), edu8rdo (02-12-2021), JB in AZ (02-07-2021)