Transmission max torque/Hp specs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Transmission max torque/Hp specs

Hey ya'll,

LONG time no post, lol I still have DM's I haven't opened since 2020! I have been strongly considering a 3G RDX. I feel it is the best balance of fun to drive, style, cheap to maintain/repair, and reliability. I have owned a couple Acuras in the past and we have a couple Acuras in the family.

With that being said, although the RDX is peppy, it just isn't quite enough for me and so I have been considering a hondata/ktuner tune to pep it up a bit. My main concern is if the 10AT can handle it. We know that the MDX/TLX Type-S have 355HP/354TQ (BTW does anyone else's OCD get triggered at the fact it is 355HP but only 354 TQ? LOL, like come on you couldn't eek out 1 more lb/ft?...I digress) mated to a 10AT but surely that 10AT is a different version, right?

Do we have any official documents with TQ specs of the 10AT in the RDX? I vaguely recall specs first coming out when the RDX was just released and they were just slightly above the RDX's power numbers, that can't be correct right?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2023, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
The transmission is more than up to the task of handling a tune on the factory turbo so I wouldn't be too concerned there. You would need to have a Civic Type-R turbo or an aftermarket upgraded turbo turned up high to start making the trans slip. There isn't a set number, but Derek at IMW has said around 420tq at the tires below 4500rpm is about the limit, not at the crank like factory ratings. I'm running an MHI stage 2 upgraded turbo for a CTR along with water/methanol injection and have no issues with my RDX. Also, I'd recommend Ktuner for all newer Honda's except for the CTR since it has a different ECU. And to answer your question, Acura did have a video stating the 10 speed in the Type-S models was a beefed up version of ours.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
https://www.sae.org/news/2017/01/hon...-slick-shifter

The 10 speed that comes with the RDX 2.0T is rated for a max of 275 TQ while the Type S 10 speed was beefed up to support the V6T.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:11 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous

The 10 speed that comes with the RDX 2.0T is rated for a max of 275 TQ while the Type S 10 speed was beefed up to support the V6T.
Max 275? That's ridiculous. It is overbuilt like every other Honda engine/tranny. A bump of 20% trq is not going to hurt anything.
Just don't beat it up all the time, drive smart and fast...

Last edited by Funz51; 04-25-2023 at 08:14 PM.
NBPDC505 (04-27-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
The transmission is more than up to the task of handling a tune on the factory turbo so I wouldn't be too concerned there. You would need to have a Civic Type-R turbo or an aftermarket upgraded turbo turned up high to start making the trans slip. There isn't a set number, but Derek at IMW has said around 420tq at the tires below 4500rpm is about the limit, not at the crank like factory ratings. I'm running an MHI stage 2 upgraded turbo for a CTR along with water/methanol injection and have no issues with my RDX. Also, I'd recommend Ktuner for all newer Honda's except for the CTR since it has a different ECU. And to answer your question, Acura did have a video stating the 10 speed in the Type-S models was a beefed up version of ours.
Thank you very much for your input dude. Can I ask what your 0-60 times are if you've tested it? Also how long have you been running the upgraded turbo/tune for? Do you feel any issues with the shift smoothness with the upgraded power or do you feel it's pretty much the same as factory? Oh and just for shits, what's your fuel economy like (not that I expect or worry about that, moreso just for fun because I imagine it dropped to like 12mpg haha)?

Originally Posted by supafamous

There is no way the transmission in the RDX is rated for 275 when it makes 280 from the factory. The 275 rated 10AT was only for the Odyssey. I vaguely recall an article or press release of some sort saying the RDX 10AT was a beefed up version of the one in the Odyssey but they did not specify what that number was for some reason.

Originally Posted by Funz51
Max 275? That's ridiculous. It is overbuilt like every other Honda engine/tranny. A bump of 20% trq is not going to hurt anything.
Just don't beat it up all the time, drive smart and fast...
Yeah no the 275 is definitely not for the RDX since it makes 280 from factory. There's an article from PRL where they found that at around 420hp iirc the transmission started to slip so I'd imagine an extra 30-40lb/ft should be ok. But I just wish we had solid numbers like other manufacturers usually do.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Tested the 0-60 with a Draggy before the water/meth and it was in the high 4 second range but the car definitely has more power now. Had the RDX with the factory turbo on Ktuner stage 2 before 800 miles and the upgraded turbo turbo has been on for over 10k miles (26K miles on the car now). There is another user on here that had the same setup as me for over 50k miles and zero issues. He has since moved to a TLX-S. The shifting is fine but when launching hard the 2-3 can be a little abrupt. I've put in insert in the lower torque mount to firm things up a little which helped. For fuel economy, funny enough, it's the same as it was with the factory setup which for me is 18-19mpg with mixed driving and as high as 25-26 on a road trip.
RDX10 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Also a reminder that this AT is small and does not have real oil cooler. It's heat capacity is not great, so if you plan to dump big power on it, clutch slipping is the first consideration, but oil temperature will also affect durability. Make sure you give the AT breathing room between hot runs especially when the accelerations are at lower gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
NBPDC505 (05-01-2023), RDX10 (05-01-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Tested the 0-60 with a Draggy before the water/meth and it was in the high 4 second range but the car definitely has more power now. Had the RDX with the factory turbo on Ktuner stage 2 before 800 miles and the upgraded turbo turbo has been on for over 10k miles (26K miles on the car now). There is another user on here that had the same setup as me for over 50k miles and zero issues. He has since moved to a TLX-S. The shifting is fine but when launching hard the 2-3 can be a little abrupt. I've put in insert in the lower torque mount to firm things up a little which helped. For fuel economy, funny enough, it's the same as it was with the factory setup which for me is 18-19mpg with mixed driving and as high as 25-26 on a road trip.
High 4 seconds is impressive af!!! Like that was Cayenne Turbo S numbers just a few years ago! Pretty sure that is GC SRT8 numbers currently. When you consider the price point that's incredible. I'm also really happy to hear you guys have been running this for quite some time. The 2-3 shift is not the smoothest in general from what I've heard. Have you upgraded the cooling system at all or installed a transmission cooler?

I'm extra impressed that your fuel economy has stayed the same! That's a big win in my books! Yours is a A-Spec correct?

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Also a reminder that this AT is small and does not have real oil cooler. It's heat capacity is not great, so if you plan to dump big power on it, clutch slipping is the first consideration, but oil temperature will also affect durability. Make sure you give the AT breathing room between hot runs especially when the accelerations are at lower gears.
Thank you for the reminder. I think the plan for now is probably at most a K-tuner stage 2 tune and also plan on upgrading the intercooler to a PRL unit. May consider installing a dedicated transmission cooler but the PRL cooler should be up to the task. With that being said, this would be my daily driver so I don't plan in trashing it lol.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:26 AM
Instructor

No changes to transmission cooling on mine at this point. I usually accelerate quickly every once in a while and not consistently so don't think I get the trans hot enough to warrant it at this point. As you said with yours, this is my daily driver and only vehicle at this point but that doesn't concern me since I've installed everything myself and properly maintain it at the dealer. My service advisor is a friend and car guy I've known for ~20+ years so that doesn't hurt things. Parts list is RV6-P Catted/ceramic coated downpipe DP Link, GRP Intercooler (Made by PRL, basically the same) Intercooler Link, FunctionWerk front pipe FP Link, Green Filter, MHI Stage 2 turbo Turbo upgrade link along with Eibach lowering springs and some lighter wheels.
RDX10 (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

No changes to transmission cooling on mine at this point. I usually accelerate quickly every once in a while and not consistently so don't think I get the trans hot enough to warrant it at this point. As you said with yours, this is my daily driver and only vehicle at this point but that doesn't concern me since I've installed everything myself and properly maintain it at the dealer. My service advisor is a friend and car guy I've known for ~20+ years so that doesn't hurt things. Parts list is RV6-P Catted/ceramic coated downpipe DP Link, GRP Intercooler (Made by PRL, basically the same) Intercooler Link, FunctionWerk front pipe FP Link, Green Filter, MHI Stage 2 turbo Turbo upgrade link along with Eibach lowering springs and some lighter wheels.
Seriously thank you for chiming in dude! I honestly expected that with this platform being so tuner friendly (thanks to the Accord/CTR parts) more people would have been interested in adding performance upgrades to their vehicles but surprisingly it really doesn't seem like it. This sub and forum as a whole has died down somewhat drastically vs 5-10 years ago (at least IMO/IME). So it is awesome to see someone doing those mods and to see you have had the mods for so long without issues is extremely reassuring. With the intake/DP do you hear cool turbo wooshing/blow off sounds now?

Do you have pics/videos? I'd love to see them!
Old 05-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Seriously thank you for chiming in dude! I honestly expected that with this platform being so tuner friendly (thanks to the Accord/CTR parts) more people would have been interested in adding performance upgrades to their vehicles but surprisingly it really doesn't seem like it. This sub and forum as a whole has died down somewhat drastically vs 5-10 years ago (at least IMO/IME). So it is awesome to see someone doing those mods and to see you have had the mods for so long without issues is extremely reassuring. With the intake/DP do you hear cool turbo wooshing/blow off sounds now?

Do you have pics/videos? I'd love to see them!
Just some pics currently. 20% ceramic tint on the front 2 side windows, a layer of 55% on every other piece of glass including the windshield. Had the roof vinyl wrapped black as well as the optional accessory front lip from Acura as the center portion comes painted silver. Last pic is the 3 gallon water/meth tank from Burger Motorsports mounted in the under floor storage of the trunk.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBPDC505:
RDX10 (05-02-2023), sonyfever (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Too late to edit the post above now, but to answer your question the intake noises are very subdued which is what I was after. I only have the aftermarket panel filter in the factory intake box along with the rubber arm from the "PRL Stage 1" intake. Depending on how you drive at times you can hear it a little but in general it's not far off from factory. Want to be able to take the better half out or co-workers and if they weren't very aware they never know the vehicle has been modified at all.
RDX10 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Just some pics currently. 20% ceramic tint on the front 2 side windows, a layer of 55% on every other piece of glass including the windshield. Had the roof vinyl wrapped black as well as the optional accessory front lip from Acura as the center portion comes painted silver. Last pic is the 3 gallon water/meth tank from Burger Motorsports mounted in the under floor storage of the trunk.

Thanks for the pics dude! Sick RDX and love that the tank fits cleanly under the trunk cover. Those wheels are sick too, honestly all around 10/10 work dude! I heard that front lip is a PITA to install but it's 100% worth it IMO. I definitely would install it as well. The Lexus NX had a similar lip standard on the F-sport model and it really cleans it up! Beautiful vehicle dude!

Too late to edit the post above now, but to answer your question the intake noises are very subdued which is what I was after. I only have the aftermarket panel filter in the factory intake box along with the rubber arm from the "PRL Stage 1" intake. Depending on how you drive at times you can hear it a little but in general it's not far off from factory. Want to be able to take the better half out or co-workers and if they weren't very aware they never know the vehicle has been modified at all.
I hear you (pun sort of intended lol) on wanting it to keep sounding stock-ish. As a DD it needs to stay comfortable, so I totally understand where you're coming from with that. I also wouldn't want it to be overbearing all the time.