Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Isn't that a 2nd-gen RDX with the OEM Class III 2" hitch receiver?

But FWIW that is a nice looking bike carrier.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
With so much extra weight in the back, that little smart car might start doing wheelies...

Originally Posted by Wander
The traditional "rural" pickup truck hitch adornment might look out of place on an RDX.

But this size challenged individual didn't let that stop him:

The following users liked this post:
Wander (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Vidal
Here is my Class III Draw-Tite hitch on my Canadian 2020 ASpec

It does not stick out as much as others have said.

All my existing accessories are 2 inch so this was a must have.

Remember the Factory 1-1/4 hitch has a lower cover that sticks out an extra 2 inches so it only appears that it sticks out less than the Draw-Tite.

See the top down picture to judge the actual amount it sticks out by.

Easy 20 minute install. The hardest part was removing the exhaust rubbers from their hangers.

Still have full access to the spare tire as well.

It is an SUV and I need the Class III.

Top Down View
Was this welded on or was it a bolt on? Also if i weld a hitch would it void my warranty or is it consider structural damage, due to frame modifications?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 PM
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Draw-Tite hitch #76268 is 100% bolt on

The Draw-Tite hitch part number 76268 is 100% bolt on
Old 09-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattgunz
Was this welded on or was it a bolt on? Also if i weld a hitch would it void my warranty or is it consider structural damage, due to frame modifications?
Two issues with welding:

1) Structural modification, so if there's a problem with structure, it's on you. Shouldn't affect the rest of the factory warranty, although it could invite a fight.

2) If it's an electric welder, there is a good chance you would fry electronics, and the car is full of them. And the warranty wouldn't help you. And that would be bad.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Two issues with welding:

1) Structural modification, so if there's a problem with structure, it's on you. Shouldn't affect the rest of the factory warranty, although it could invite a fight.

2) If it's an electric welder, there is a good chance you would fry electronics, and the car is full of them. And the warranty wouldn't help you. And that would be bad.

Ahhh! I see. I was curious if welding will do more harm then good. Thanks so much! I’m just going to stick with the bolt on and when I install it, I’ll post pics! Thanks brotha.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
very happy with Draw Tite

I also installed the Draw-Tite hitch (part number 76268). Some notes:

1) Re. the installation:

- The exhaust removal pliers tool were essential. The hitch has a very tight fit and I had to slightly push one of the mufflers to the side, or I'd have been unable to mount the hitch. You can find that tool at Home Depot or other online stores.
- There was no need to lift the car on jack stands
- I got help from a friend, it would have been harder for me to do the installation by myself

2) The hitch is sold by several companies. Shop around, since the most well known of them wanted to charge twice as much as the company I got it from! See
https://www.draw-tite.com/ecommerce-dealers for a list of authorized dealers.

3) The hitch is very sturdy. Also, I wanted one with a 2" opening since my bike rack was previously used on a 1.25" hitch (different car) and it was pretty wobbly. Therefore I decided to go with this one vs. the dealer-installed hitch. Also, the cost was slightly better for this option ($115 plus half hour of work vs $900 for the part and labor at the dealer ...).

4) Compared to the dealer-installed hitch, this one does stick out a bit (2-3 inches) and is a little bit lower (perhaps 7" clearance vs 8", although I didn't measure it). I don't find either aspect objectionable. By coincidence, I noticed how a "BMW hitch" mounted on a BMW X5 was protruding much more (4-5"), so compared to that this one is perfectly fine.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the same and happy with the result. I had the same wrestling match with the muffler hangers, especially the rear on (busted knuckle). Only had to drop on muffler. I noticed that my RDX has the "short" sensor and but it doesn't work with the hitch so I'll be moving it further to the left when I get a chance.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Is to bad that CURT Hitch, doesn't have one for 2019 RDX, their trailer hitch design is much better that Draw-Tite..
WE0H (10-24-2022)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:37 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Is to bad that CURT Hitch, doesn't have one for 2019 RDX, their trailer hitch design is much better that Draw-Tite..
I've been anxious for CURT to release one also. I inquired again and received this response yesterday.

"The hitch for the 2019 RDX is still in engineering. The engineers are working on issues of the hitch interfering with the kick sensor for the tailgate. Please continue to check back periodically for updates."

I think it will be worth the wait for me as I do have the Advance trim with the kick sensor. Hopefully soon!
WE0H (10-24-2022)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mogarcia20
I've been anxious for CURT to release one also. I inquired again and received this response yesterday.

"The hitch for the 2019 RDX is still in engineering. The engineers are working on issues of the hitch interfering with the kick sensor for the tailgate. Please continue to check back periodically for updates."

I think it will be worth the wait for me as I do have the Advance trim with the kick sensor. Hopefully soon!
I am with you, probably worth to wait..
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mogarcia20

I am with you, probably worth to wait..
Might be a long wait. The stock sensor for the Advance is centered right above the centerline of the hitch. That's why the Acura solution is to replace the sensor with a shorter one that mounts off to the side.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Racer

Might be a long wait. The stock sensor for the Advance is centered right above the centerline of the hitch. That's why the Acura solution is to replace the sensor with a shorter one that mounts off to the side.
Here's what Curt reply to me today:

Hello,
As of right now we do not have one available. However there is a hitch in testing right now.

Thank you
Autumn

Last edited by Yotrek; 03-26-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Here's what Curt reply to me today:

Hello,
As of right now we do not have one available. However there is a hitch in testing right now.

Thank you
Autumn
Well, if they succeed I'll be even more annoyed with the expense and installation difficulty of Acura's solution!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

I have a stock Advance SH-AWD & it came from the factory with the short sensor and is about 6” to the left of center. I have room to move it further left but haven’t gotten to it yet. The sensor, where it is now, will function if I draw my hand between the hitch and the sensor so the addition of the hitch doesn’t affect functionality
WE0H (10-24-2022)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Raynomad
I have a stock Advance SH-AWD & it came from the factory with the short sensor and is about 6” to the left of center. I have room to move it further left but haven’t gotten to it yet. The sensor, where it is now, will function if I draw my hand between the hitch and the sensor so the addition of the hitch doesn’t affect functionality
I wonder if that's a change. I DIY installed the hitch and wiring harness in my early production 2019 Advance SH-AWD and my admittedly somewhat fuzzy memory is that the sensor was centered. The "kick zone" was certainly centered.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim7707 (12-16-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by consultauto

Nice setup, did you install on your own or how much did the dealer charge you to install it?
katherinelpham (05-08-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I did the installation, took me about an hour.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Thank you @Richard Vidal for sharing.

I didn't read the manual carefully and had hard time to install at first.
However, I was able to install it. It looks nice. It gives my RDX even more sporty. I'd like to share the YT with more detail here:
Old 04-29-2020, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Draw Tite install

If you cut off the corners of the excess pipe beyond the plate, you can install on the forward welded nut plates. The corners would otherwise hit the mufflers. It’s a tighter squeeze to get the hitch in forward but the side plates of the hitch do have some flex. This won’t work if you’ve got a spare tire, but we don’t and prefer to not to have a shin bruiser for the utility of a bike rack or cargo carrier.

The following 2 users liked this post by czarmar:
J777 (10-26-2020), WE0H (10-24-2022)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thule Helium Platform Bike Rack

Thought I'd share in this thread for anyone who is still looking to find the right bike rack. My husband and I just installed the Thule Helium Platform bike rack and I must say, I am super happy! Perfect fit with the OEM hitch. (:

The following 2 users liked this post by katherinelpham:
Waetherman (05-08-2020), Wander (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:16 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I admit, I’m conflicted. I prefer a 2” hitch for the options of racks/towing but the 1.25” seems easier and cheaper.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waetherman:
katherinelpham (05-09-2020), martyweb (02-24-2023)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:47 PM
Drifting

My vintage 2" Thule T2 + 2 might exceed the RDX hitch rating without any bikes on it. Solid American steel. Built to survive the apocalypse. And a real b*tch to install.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:27 AM
10th Gear

I wonder if that's a change. I DIY installed the hitch and wiring harness in my early production 2019 Advance SH-AWD and my admittedly somewhat fuzzy memory is that the sensor was centered. The "kick zone" was certainly centered.
My bad. I finally got a chance to crawl under and check out the sensor. On closer inspection I found that the "black box" that I thought was the actual sensor was in fact just the junction and that the actual "sensor" is an antenna that looks like a long piece of coax about 2' long. The way installed looks to leave no chance of moving it. So...I'm assuming the long vs short sensor refers to the actual antenna portion. Without seeing a "short" version I can only assume. In any event it's no moving and I'll just live with hitting the switch near the license plate.
I did finally get to wiring in the Tekonsha trailer connector/converter box. Apparently there are two versions depending on whether you have a 12 feed in the vehicle trailer connector. I have to locate a 12v supply for the Tekonsha. There is a relay under the storage on a cross member that energizes with the ignition. Don't know what else it goes to but it was a convenient 12v source.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Raynomad
My bad. I finally got a chance to crawl under and check out the sensor. On closer inspection I found that the "black box" that I thought was the actual sensor was in fact just the junction and that the actual "sensor" is an antenna that looks like a long piece of coax about 2' long. The way installed looks to leave no chance of moving it. So...I'm assuming the long vs short sensor refers to the actual antenna portion. Without seeing a "short" version I can only assume. In any event it's no moving and I'll just live with hitting the switch near the license plate.
I did finally get to wiring in the Tekonsha trailer connector/converter box. Apparently there are two versions depending on whether you have a 12 feed in the vehicle trailer connector. I have to locate a 12v supply for the Tekonsha. There is a relay under the storage on a cross member that energizes with the ignition. Don't know what else it goes to but it was a convenient 12v source.
Thanks for the update.

For the full OEM install on my Advance, the replacement bumper panel insert has mounting sites for the "short sensor", to the left of center. IIRC it just attaches with a few screws, and it uses the same connector as the original sensor.

But after almost 2 years, I'm barely recovered from the trauma of those OEM wiring harness instructions. OMG. Acura is usually better than that.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
If transporting mountain bikes,there should be only 1 rack on you list, IUp USA quick rack, nothing but the tires are touched. I have an extension on mine for two bikes, there are different models, such as heavy duty, if you want to carry up to 4 bikes ,(HD requires 2 inch). Here is my Aspec with 1 1/4 inch rack

Last edited by Phil Onyschuk; 05-13-2020 at 10:21 AM.
bowhun2r (02-21-2023)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Hi -- quite a bit confused by this thread. I have a stock 2020 SH-AWD Advance. I am looking for a hitch for a bike rack only. So whatever the wiring harness issue is, not an issue for me. A very handy friend who has done it before is willing to install the hitch for me. My questions are:

1. what are the exact OEM parts I need?
2. is the hands free tailgate opening still going to work after this is installed?

Thanks so much -- very confused over here!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:53 PM
Drifting

There's a reason you are confused, and it's because Acura made this really confusing. I'm gonna put my reputation on the line and try to get this right.

Let's review a few things:

There is an insert panel in the rear bumper for all 3rd-gen RDXs. This gets replaced when you install an OEM hitch. It MUST get replaced unless you want to cut a big groove in the original panel to accommodate the hitch receiver tube. ( Someone here has done this; it might be in this thread ). This original panel is different for A-Spec than other trims. Cuz A-Spec. For Advance, the stock hands-free sensor is mounted to the original bumper panel insert.

There are different replacement panels, depending on whether or not you plan to use the hands-free access tailgate feature. ( HFA is available as a kit for any trim, but it requires installation of a physical push-button switch in the rear cargo area so it can be turned off as needed. This is done in software for Advance ).

The replacement panel for the Advance trim ( or other trims with HFA kit ) is designed to accommodate a replacement hands-free sensor that mounts to the left of the hitch receiver tube. It will NOT allow you to mount the original sensor. But the replacement sensor will function with the original wiring harness; you don't need to install the trailer wiring harness just to use this sensor.

So, ( drum roll please... ). To install the OEM hitch on a 3rd-gen RDX Advance and retain HFA functionality, here's what you need:

08L92-TJB-200 trailer hitch
08L92-TJB-200B hitch cover panel
08L91-TJB-200B HFA "short sensor"

And here are the OEM hitch installation instructions:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII11735-09.PDF
The following 3 users liked this post by Wander:
coolashuli (05-07-2021), WE0H (10-24-2022), zzyodazz (07-05-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 AM
Advanced

There's a reason you are confused, and it's because Acura made this really confusing. I'm gonna put my reputation on the line and try to get this right.

Let's review a few things:

There is an insert panel in the rear bumper for all 3rd-gen RDXs. This gets replaced when you install an OEM hitch. It MUST get replaced unless you want to cut a big groove in the original panel to accommodate the hitch receiver tube. ( Someone here has done this; it might be in this thread ). This original panel is different for A-Spec than other trims. Cuz A-Spec. For Advance, the stock hands-free sensor is mounted to the original bumper panel insert.

There are different replacement panels, depending on whether or not you plan to use the hands-free access tailgate feature. ( HFA is available as a kit for any trim, but it requires installation of a physical push-button switch in the rear cargo area so it can be turned off as needed. This is done in software for Advance ).

The replacement panel for the Advance trim ( or other trims with HFA kit ) is designed to accommodate a replacement hands-free sensor that mounts to the left of the hitch receiver tube. It will NOT allow you to mount the original sensor. But the replacement sensor will function with the original wiring harness; you don't need to install the trailer wiring harness just to use this sensor.

So, ( drum roll please... ). To install the OEM hitch on a 3rd-gen RDX Advance and retain HFA functionality, here's what you need:

08L92-TJB-200 trailer hitch
08L92-TJB-200B hitch cover panel
08L91-TJB-200B HFA "short sensor"

And here are the OEM hitch installation instructions:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII11735-09.PDF
Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Sadly, I think it is more than my friend bargained for when he volunteered. I’m also worried about messing this up because this is a lease. So, on the one hand, I don’t think I have the option to lose the HF function. And on the other hand, is it worth it to pay someone to do this for a car I will have for only 2.5 more years? Where would I even go that I could feel confident they would do it right (other than a dealer)? I must have asked the dealer 985 times if it was a problem to put on a hitch. I guess I should have talked to the service dept too.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:08 AM
Drifting

Option B is to install an aftermarket hitch. Those extend below the entire bumper cover and don't require replacement of the bumper panel. I'm sure this will be OK if you turn off HFA in software. HFA might work with the hitch installed, but I think it might be flakey.

At lease end, pulling off an aftermarket hitch would be easy. Dealer might do it for free. Or they might leave it and let a buyer decide.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:24 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Aftermarket may not look as slick but it’s cheaper than factory, and you can get a sightless beefier one with better tongue rating (250 vs 150 for factory). I don’t think it would cost much to have a mechanic put it on - shouldn’t take more than an hour from the loks of it. That’s what I’m planning to do at some point.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Aftermarket may not look as slick but it’s cheaper than factory, and you can get a sightless beefier one with better tongue rating (250 vs 150 for factory). I don’t think it would cost much to have a mechanic put it on - shouldn’t take more than an hour from the loks of it. That’s what I’m planning to do at some point.
Is there one in particular? The only one I saw was one of the ones referenced above, and it comes with instructions about moving the exhaust and the sensor, etc.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Drifting

AFAIK Draw-Tite still has the only aftermarket hitches for this vehicle ( 2" and 1-1/4" ). I don't think you need to touch the HFA sensor if you turn the feature off, and I don't see anything in Draw-Tite's installation instructions about that.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by coffeemaker
Is there one in particular? The only one I saw was one of the ones referenced above, and it comes with instructions about moving the exhaust and the sensor, etc.
I thought there were two brands, but maybe it was just the two models by DrawTite I was thinking of. I think the 2” one actually has a tongue rating of 350 lbs.

Ive looked at the instructions for that one and it just requires the exhaust to be lowered, which doesn’t sound that hard. But I haven’t done this yet so I don’t know.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Drifting

I thought there were two brands, but maybe it was just the two models by DrawTite I was thinking of. I think the 2” one actually has a tongue rating of 350 lbs.

Ive looked at the instructions for that one and it just requires the exhaust to be lowered, which doesn’t sound that hard. But I haven’t done this yet so I don’t know.
If you read the fine print, the overall hitch rating is limited to the LESSER of the vehicle rating and the rating of the hitch itself. Always. 3rd-gen RDX has a hitch rating of 1500 pounds towed load ( with two 150 pound occupants and nothing else in the vehicle ), and 150 pounds tongue weight.

And yeah, the sales sites tend to gloss that over.

Can you get away with more tongue weight? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the load: how far the weight is suspended out the back, whether you travel glass smooth concrete or a bumpy dirt road, etc. But as far as we know, that's outside the design limits of the vehicle.
Waetherman (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:18 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Thanks for pointing that out! I figured that was true about the towing weight, but didn’t know that was true of the tongue weight as well.

Someone in another thread had a motorcycle rack and I have to think that exceeded 150 lbs...even a 125cc dirt bike weighs more than that.

Last edited by Waetherman; 05-17-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Thanks for pointing that out! I figured that was true about the towing weight, but didn’t know that was true of the tongue weight as well.

Someone in another thread had a motorcycle rack and I have to think that exceeded 150 lbs...even a 125cc dirt bike weighs more than that.
Yep. It's amazing what some people get away with sometimes. Until they don't.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Has anyone looked at U-haul's site about this? I just plugged in 2020 RDX, and it came up with an option, but it seemed to be a ball hitch and not a receiver hitch. I'm not sure that it would work for a bike rack? Also, not sure if they would know how to deal with this sensor issue?

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch