Tire Rotation 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Yes, it's a good idea to recheck lug torque no matter who does the rotation. The car doesn't have to be lifted to do it. In fact, it's always preferable to do final torque with all wheels on the ground, IMO. 80 ft-lb
Old 01-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tsxowner1
I just rotated mine last week. I only have a pair of jack stands so I put them in the front. I only used the jack to lift the rear. Not the safest method but I was ok with it since I wasn’t going under the car.
I was hoping to get those rotor screws out but I couldn’t find my impact tool. I’m trying to prevent future headache when I change breaks in the future
Used the jack to lift one rear wheel at a time, or the entire rear end of the car? If the latter, it may be just as well you couldn't find that impact tool.

A safer approach would be to use the single set of jack stands to support one side of the car at a time, and do a simple front-to-back rotation. IMO that's perfectly adequate, and that's what I have done in the past if I racked up enough miles between seasonal changes to justify it, and I didn't feel like taking it to a shop.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Used the jack to lift one rear wheel at a time, or the entire rear end of the car? If the latter, it may be just as well you couldn't find that impact tool.

A safer approach would be to use the single set of jack stands to support one side of the car at a time, and do a simple front-to-back rotation. IMO that's perfectly adequate, and that's what I have done in the past if I racked up enough miles between seasonal changes to justify it, and I didn't feel like taking it to a shop.

Jack stand instructions that came with mine, advise to only use them in pairs and never on one side of the car.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
just get two sets of jack stands and a good floor jack. Also good if/when you do transmission fluid b/c the vehicle is level. They will pay for themselves in no time and you will enjoy doing some basic work on the car. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Jack stand instructions that came with mine, advise to only use them in pairs and never on one side of the car.
So it's bad to change one wheel at a time using a jack, exactly like the Owner's Manual says to change a flat, but it's OK to float an end of the car on a jack and pull both wheels off? I'm getting a little confused.

OTOH, I agree that I wouldn't crawl under the car with one side lifted on stands. The problem is that the angle is steep and the jack stands can tip. That's bad.

In general, risk management is more effective if you understand what the risks are. And as said, if the car isn't supported as well as you would like, keep anything you want to keep out from under the darn thing!
Old 01-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

So it's bad to change one wheel at a time using a jack, exactly like the Owner's Manual says to change a flat, but it's OK to float an end of the car on a jack and pull both wheels off? I'm getting a little confused.

OTOH, I agree that I wouldn't crawl under the car with one side lifted on stands. The problem is that the angle is steep and the jack stands can tip. That's bad.

In general, risk management is more effective if you understand what the risks are. And as said, if the car isn't supported as well as you would like, keep anything you want to keep out from under the darn thing!
one jack at a time is ok, they are saying dont use two jacks on a left/right side. I think they are worried that car can rail.
i am going to lift front, than rear to rotate tires. 4 jack stands are ok
Old 01-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
one jack at a time is ok, they are saying dont use two jacks on a left/right side. I think they are worried that car can rail.
i am going to lift front, than rear to rotate tires. 4 jack stands are ok
Rail?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Rail?
slide of the jacks due to movement? I have no idea why instructions warn against doing it.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I lifted the entire rear with the Jack only using the Jack point. I followed the recommended tire rotation for the RDX per the manual. Front tires go directly to the rear (same side), but rear tires go to the front on the opposite side. See the image posted by quantum7.