Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Nitrogen in tires is pretty much pointless. First, air is 78% nitrogen anyway. And "pure" nitrogen is only 95% pure. Having pure nitrogen in your tires may help retain pressure a little bit, but not substantially. And if you ever need to inflate your tires, you're limited to doing it with nitrogen or you've just undone the effect of having nitrogen in there in the first place. If the dealer did it on your new car gratis, great. If they want you to pay a premium to have them inflated in that way in the future, skip it.

As for the pressure, as you can see from the comments people have varying opinions about how much above or below the recommended cold temp setting. One thing that is NOT good though is having your tires at different pressures. 1 or 2 psi probably isn't going to make a difference, but generally speaking you want to try to keep them all at the same pressure.

Personally I'm running 36 on all four tires, but that's just because the temperature has been fluctuating so much recently that I don't want to set them to 33 and then find them at 30 on a cold day. I'd rather have them a little high than a little low.
The following 3 users liked this post by Waetherman:
fogdoctor (02-19-2020), Funz51 (01-09-2020), NooYawkuh (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by srvadlamani1
Guys -

Just bought my new 2020 Acura RDX SH-AWD with Advance. The car has Continental tires, and the dealer filled it with Nitrogen (supposed to be good for the tires - but I really have no clue!). I tried various drive modes to see if that impacted the ride (no difference as far as I can tell). That leads me to wonder if this is a Nitrogen thing? Also, the current pressures I see on the car are as follows (Right front - 38psi , Left Front - 37psi . Right Rear - 37psi , and Left Rear - 36psi ). Are these right or too high? What can I do to improve the ride somewhat? Also, is there a trade-off between the tire pressure and gas mileage? By the way, that was the pressures when the car was delivered to me (2 weeks ago now)

Sorry for the list of questions, but just trying to figure out my new car!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sri

I use a proprietary blend of 78% nitrogen.

when cold, I use the number on the plate at the drivers door. helps me from figuring out what to do.
The following users liked this post:
Rolf65 (09-06-2023)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I use a proprietary blend of 78% nitrogen..
I had also heard reports that running just 78% nitrogen was the optimum amount for the best performance.

After spending some time searching, I found a machine at Costco that claims to take in regular air, and converts it to the ideal 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (and another 1% of miscellaneous gases which are insignificant).

I have been using this machine to inflate my tires for several years now, with great success, and I would never go back to using regular air from a service station pump.

I am always cautious to use this machine in a well ventilated area so that I am not overcome by the gases that it produces.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
Madd Dog (01-11-2020), NooYawkuh (01-10-2020), sinain (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
Nitrogen in tires is pretty much pointless. First, air is 78% nitrogen anyway. And "pure" nitrogen is only 95% pure. Having pure nitrogen in your tires may help retain pressure a little bit, but not substantially. And if you ever need to inflate your tires, you're limited to doing it with nitrogen or you've just undone the effect of having nitrogen in there in the first place. If the dealer did it on your new car gratis, great. If they want you to pay a premium to have them inflated in that way in the future, skip it.

As for the pressure, as you can see from the comments people have varying opinions about how much above or below the recommended cold temp setting. One thing that is NOT good though is having your tires at different pressures. 1 or 2 psi probably isn't going to make a difference, but generally speaking you want to try to keep them all at the same pressure.

Personally I'm running 36 on all four tires, but that's just because the temperature has been fluctuating so much recently that I don't want to set them to 33 and then find them at 30 on a cold day. I'd rather have them a little high than a little low.
I also try to find a happy medium on air pressure. The recommended on the door says, I leave it at 35. Georgia doesn't get too cold, but any cooler/less cooler days seems to compensate OK around there. In the summer, I usually leave them at the recommended, since it's always hot and humid here!

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I had also heard reports that running just 78% nitrogen was the optimum amount for the best performance.

After spending some time searching, I found a machine at Costco that claims to take in regular air, and converts it to the ideal 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (and another 1% of miscellaneous gases which are insignificant).

I have been using this machine to inflate my tires for several years now, with great success, and I would never go back to using regular air from a service station pump.

I am always cautious to use this machine in a well ventilated area so that I am not overcome by the gases that it produces.
Do you mean at their tire center or ddi you actually purchase a tire inflator at Costco that does this?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick

You should have done more searching. My machine from PEP BOYS does all your Costco machine does and even filters and captures the Argon so I can use it in my incandescent bulbs. Great idea on the ventilated area. I knew a guy whose cousin's brother-in-law by marriage said he heard a guy almost died using the Costco air machine inside a packing box.
Cuzz (01-13-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:24 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I use this guy. My tires have a touch of halitosis.

Madd Dog (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Skeptic

Just got this gauge on sale at Amazon. $28 marked down from $90. Incredible deal and excellent product.

Amazon Amazon

Hurry. The price won't hold more than a day or two.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
nitrogen tire fill is a scam, everyone knows it
Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Just got this gauge on sale at Amazon. $28 marked down from $90. Incredible deal and excellent product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VV78RZ1

Hurry. The price won't hold more than a day or two.
lol. Lots of the same or similar for 20 -30 bucks.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Funz51
lol. Lots of the same or similar for 20 -30 bucks.
Where?
That is <$30.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 AM
Expanse me

Where?
That is <$30.
Just look at the bottom - 'sponsored items' on the Amazon page
Old 01-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Skeptic

Where?
That is <$30.
Yeah many similar but not the same. Some are digital, some are gauges, etc. The one I linked to actually is not the one I bought. Same thing but I paid less. Some of them appear and disappear from Amazon and prices change regularly. Sometimes they're sold by 3rd party vendors.

Bottom line, that one is very good, IMO. I went through 3 of those red handheld ones in about 5 years. They're crap. I even tried changing the batteries in one and it just fell apart. This one just takes 2 AAAs.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I got a manual metal gauge about 20 years ago, non of that digital crap, still works and accurate
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
fogdoctor (02-19-2020), Funz51 (01-15-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I use an old metal analog gauge as well - got it in 1998 when my girlfriend (wife since) and I bought a used car. Anyway, I have mine RDX adv set to 35psi cold. Cold, in my case, is my garage after sitting overnight.

I check it every month and it lives in a charmed life in an attached garage so I'm not as worried about temperature fluctuations. The only thing I noticed is that the TPMS reads a couple of psi high. I have checked it with another gauge and it's definitely high.

Has anyone else noticed it?
Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by fogdoctor
I use an old metal analog gauge as well - got it in 1998 when my girlfriend (wife since) and I bought a used car. Anyway, I have mine RDX adv set to 35psi cold. Cold, in my case, is my garage after sitting overnight.

I check it every month and it lives in a charmed life in an attached garage so I'm not as worried about temperature fluctuations. The only thing I noticed is that the TPMS reads a couple of psi high. I have checked it with another gauge and it's definitely high.

Has anyone else noticed it?
yeah, its not that accurate. I think they mention that in the manual and suggest you test it every gas fill up or something. It really is to warn of impending doom when the tire loses too much pressure and you haven't figured it out yet.. ;o
Old 02-19-2020, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
yeah, its not that accurate. I think they mention that in the manual and suggest you test it every gas fill up or something. It really is to warn of impending doom when the tire loses too much pressure and you haven't figured it out yet.. ;o
I figured the would have it read low rather than high to ward of the impending doom earlier.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I just want it to be consistent.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
TPMS question

Hey everyone... I don't mean to threadjack here but since we're talking about pressures and TPMS... Does the TPMS in the 2020 RDX need resetting after a pressure fill or adjustment? I haven't found anything in the manual or in the car systems to suggest it needs to recalibrate or reset after adjusting my pressures. Having had countless Audis, BMWs, Porsches, and Infinitis, I've become accustomed to resetting or recalibrating TPMS after a tire pressure adjustment and this car doesn't seem to have that option. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by TheDatanator
Hey everyone... I don't mean to threadjack here but since we're talking about pressures and TPMS... Does the TPMS in the 2020 RDX need resetting after a pressure fill or adjustment? I haven't found anything in the manual or in the car systems to suggest it needs to recalibrate or reset after adjusting my pressures. Having had countless Audis, BMWs, Porsches, and Infinitis, I've become accustomed to resetting or recalibrating TPMS after a tire pressure adjustment and this car doesn't seem to have that option. Thoughts?

Thanks!
RDX manual says bring into dealer if you find the Tpms and measured psi appears very different. No way to 'set'.
TheDatanator (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDatanator

Thanks!
No resetting or recalibrating required, ever.

3rd-gen RDX has a direct-read TPMS system with "smart sensors" that directly read the internal air pressure in the tire. The sensors pair with the vehicle automatically without intervention ( assuming compatible sensors are installed in the wheels ), and if new sensors ( different wheels ) are installed the pressure will register within a few miles of driving. Same deal if the tires/wheels are rotated to different positions on the car.

"Indirect TPMS" systems need to be calibrated because they have no physical sensors to read internal air pressure, and instead monitor effective rolling circumference of the tires. More air pressure = rounder tire = bigger circumference. That system must be calibrated after filling the tires to a known air pressure, and it will then alert the driver to changes beyond some threshold. Some recent Hondas use the indirect system, including CR-V.

Last edited by Wander; 02-19-2020 at 07:13 PM.
TheDatanator (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by Wander
No resetting or recalibrating required, ever.

3rd-gen RDX has a direct-read TPMS system with "smart sensors" that directly read the internal air pressure in the tire. The sensors pair with the vehicle automatically without intervention ( assuming compatible sensors are installed in the wheels ), and if new sensors ( different wheels ) are installed the pressure will register within a few miles of driving. Same deal if the tires/wheels are rotated to different positions on the car.

"Indirect TPMS" systems need to be calibrated because they have no physical sensors to read internal air pressure, and instead monitor effective rolling circumference of the tires. More air pressure = rounder tire = bigger circumference. That system must be calibrated after filling the tires to a known air pressure, and it will then alert the driver to changes beyond some threshold. Some recent Hondas use the indirect system, including CR-V.
The stuff I learn on this site.
Thanks!