Things to inspect and/or ask about before taking delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Things to inspect and/or ask about before taking delivery?

I have a 2020 RDX Advanced package on order. I should receive it before Thanksgiving. What things should I inspect and or ask about prior to taking delivery? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
On mine, the camera system was busted-ass. So check that.

That's all I have.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
many think the dealership looks over the car...not Make sure you take it out in a well lighted area and look it over for scratches/dents. For me a new car has next to zero miles on it, so I make it known in advance that I expect it to have less than so many miles on it. Just take your time and go over it it slowly, inside and out. 1 area they often forget is the tire PSI....prob still at 50 when it was shipped. Its an exciting moment and many just want to rush out.....just take ur time and go over everything, as your still in "power" but once you sign your name and give them the $$$, not so much. Enjoy the big day
The following users liked this post:
Mark-RDX (11-30-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
On the Advanced there was talk of plugs missing that helped to reduce road noise.

a quote from someone that was dealing with this:

"BTW, I discovered that my RDX was missing plugs that were supposed to be installed in the chassis during dealer pre-delivery inspection. They cost me a couple bucks and installing them reduced road noise considerably. The plugs cover holes that are used for transport tie-downs. IIRC there was a thread about this."

"TQI for 2020 RDX still lists installing body plugs ( item #7 ). But it's prudent to carefully consider which holes you want plugged.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-023.PDF"
Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
I have a 2020 RDX Advanced package on order. I should receive it before Thanksgiving. What things should I inspect and or ask about prior to taking delivery? Thanks!
I would suggest checking for the following:

1. Scratches/Dings/Dents - take your time, look at each panel from different angles. Once you leave the dealership you're unlikely to get any help with these and many people find things when they're doing the first wash. Look for a dimple on the hatch above the license plate area. If you have it, decide if you want to live with it or ask them to replace the hatch. My RDX has it and I've seen another post with people reporting they have it - you need to be a little further away, but it looks like a pretty big dent when you finally see it.

2. Interior Stains - look especially on the headliner and pillars. I would advise sitting in every seat for just a minute. You're not likely to find anything, but again, after you leave the dealership you won't get much help if you find something.

3. Body panel alignment - I had issues specifically with uneven hatch gaps and uneven headlights. Besides looking bad, the uneven hatch started to make a grinding noise until it was adjusted and the headlight was causing a very slight wind noise. It was a little harder than I expected to get these addressed after delivery.

4. Test drive your car. Make sure it's as quiet, smooth, etc. as you expect. This is your last chance to change your mind! Check your tire pressure while you're at it - many dealers have it set way too high!
The following 2 users liked this post by dugums:
Ludepower (11-22-2019), subin (11-22-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Ask as much as you can about using all the controls, buttons, knobs and WHERE they are before driving off for your test drive:
  1. Where and how to use emergency brake.
  2. Procedure for using
    1. Cruise Controls Various levels).
    2. radio - dialing, presets, etc.
    3. lighting (don't get stuck at night).
  3. You are buying a $45,000 machine. Be sure everything works.

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 11-26-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
Order you a FREE printed manual at the dealer and download the E Version from Acura’s website and start reading! Most of your questions are answered right there. The car comes with the abbreviated version.
DJA123 (03-09-2020)
Old 11-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Thank you!

Thank you for the great tips! Much appreciated. I pick the RDX up on Friday.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
By now you have your new RDX....congrats! I bought mine in September and love it. I did have to bring it back this week for two issues. The window channel on the drivers door was pinched (didn’t notice it when I bought the car) and the brakes were making noise under moderate braking (there is a TSB for this). The dealer was phenomenal (as they should be for a new car), repaired everything perfectly.

while they had my car, I had a 2020 RDX Advance as a loaner. I did notice that the dash lighting seemed to be stuck on “night” (dim) no matter what I did with adjusting the brightness.

One other thing to check....I installed a hitch for a bike rack, which requires dropping the spare. While all my tires were properly inflated when I bought the car, the spare was under inflated by 20#. I’d suggest checking this before the spare is needed!
Bmosbacker (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
By now you have your new RDX....congrats! I bought mine in September and love it. I did have to bring it back this week for two issues. The window channel on the drivers door was pinched (didn’t notice it when I bought the car) and the brakes were making noise under moderate braking (there is a TSB for this). The dealer was phenomenal (as they should be for a new car), repaired everything perfectly.

while they had my car, I had a 2020 RDX Advance as a loaner. I did notice that the dash lighting seemed to be stuck on “night” (dim) no matter what I did with adjusting the brightness.

One other thing to check....I installed a hitch for a bike rack, which requires dropping the spare. While all my tires were properly inflated when I bought the car, the spare was under inflated by 20#. I’d suggest checking this before the spare is needed!
I’ve only driven the car from the dealer to the house last night. I did notice the brakes seemed a little “grindy”. I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday to have door guards installed and ceramic coating put on. I’ll have them check out the brakes at that time. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
i would see what they use for ceramic coating......most stuff they sell/apply at dealerships is worthless....
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flames9
i would see what they use for ceramic coating......most stuff they sell/apply at dealerships is worthless....
The dealer is bringing in an outside detailing vendor. They are giving a 5 year warranty for effectiveness and will clay bar before application. I HOPE I get a good application. :-)
Old 11-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have them install any software updates. There was an OTA update for the radio that came out 11/4, that I had to upgrade to with an 11/21 delivery date. There is a harder maps update that just came out this week as well that you might ask them to do.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MXFanatic
Have them install any software updates. There was an OTA update for the radio that came out 11/4, that I had to upgrade to with an 11/21 delivery date. There is a harder maps update that just came out this week as well that you might ask them to do.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
thanks. They updated the software but said they don’t do map updates.
The one thing I asked about during the very long process of acquiring the car was that they get all of the software updated. They said yeah yeah yeah. And then I got in the car and there was an exclamation point on software updates. I have no idea if I have the infamous body plugs, and I’m not really inclined to find out. But between this and the Acuralink snafu, it does not feel like they did a great job of getting the car ready.

Having now mostly read the owners manual, I know they didn’t do a great job of teaching me anything about the car. It’s amazing what that thing does. In all fairness, they couldn’t even cover 20% of it, but I do feel like they left out some key stuff.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by coffeemaker
The one thing I asked about during the very long process of acquiring the car was that they get all of the software updated. They said yeah yeah yeah. And then I got in the car and there was an exclamation point on software updates. I have no idea if I have the infamous body plugs, and I’m not really inclined to find out. But between this and the Acuralink snafu, it does not feel like they did a great job of getting the car ready.

Having now mostly read the owners manual, I know they didn’t do a great job of teaching me anything about the car. It’s amazing what that thing does. In all fairness, they couldn’t even cover 20% of it, but I do feel like they left out some key stuff.
My experience thus far has been great. They went over a lot in two separate sessions and my software is up to date. A lot of this depends on the dealer.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
On the Advanced there was talk of plugs missing that helped to reduce road noise.

a quote from someone that was dealing with this:

"BTW, I discovered that my RDX was missing plugs that were supposed to be installed in the chassis during dealer pre-delivery inspection. They cost me a couple bucks and installing them reduced road noise considerably. The plugs cover holes that are used for transport tie-downs. IIRC there was a thread about this."

"TQI for 2020 RDX still lists installing body plugs ( item #7 ). But it's prudent to carefully consider which holes you want plugged.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-023.PDF"
If you own an Aspec, you have an open hole in the middle of your trunk. Look under the rear of the car. The hole is open because there is no spare (the hole holds the post that holds the spare on the other models). There needs to be a plug there. If you don't have a plug there, get one from dealer. It can easily let water enter and also noise into the trunk.