Are there any options for playing video on infotainment screen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Are there any options for playing video on infotainment screen?

For those of us that spend a decent amount of time parked, waiting on wife/kids/etc., are there any good options for casting video onto the RDX screen?

I know there are no “official” options, but I assume there are dongles or something out there - I’m just not sure which ones to trust. Again, I only need it to work when parked, so I’m not looking to break the law here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2022, 12:21 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Notice how cars that have optional entertainments systems, ALWAYS confine them to the rear? Simply having the capability to play video in the front row is outlawed in some states, even if there's a lockout feature. Even if you do the hack yourself and never use it while driving, you may technically be in violation. Of course, you'll never get caught but why not just get a tablet and stream to it?
Old 02-10-2022, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts
I assume you are talking about 19-21 infotainment. I have tried sideloading Firefox, and it plays YouTube but with a frame of decoding errors (green/flashing macro locks) surrounding the video. It is still watchable, but because the infotainment is slow and the usage is cumbersome, I eventually removed it. A tablet works infinitely better.

Here are things I learned:
  1. Most of the popular APKs do not work due to Android 5 not meeting minimum requirement.
  2. The best app to sideload is the old Hondata apk. It is cool to have the screen show various meters. But the app stops updating once idle stop kicks in, and needs relaunching.
  3. The infotainment by default closes any sideloaded apps as soon as the car starts moving. The safety feature can be bypassed, though only lasts until the infotainment powers down.
  4. The video stack of the infotainment is garbage. Firefox sometimes crashes when it is about to play YT videos.
  5. Regular YT page is harder to navigate using touchpad, better use Desktop mode in Firefox.
  6. By default, if you click the fullscreen icon in YT, the video takes up the full screen, with the right portion blocked by the infotainment's card window (the flickable panel below the notification bar). There is a workaround, you can click on the video rapidly for several times, and the video will readjust itself to fit the main window. The workaroind is a bit tricky at times to engage, though.
  7. The infotainment checks for sideloaded apps, and shows a warning dialog everytime it powers up. Simply removing the apk does not stop the dialog from appearing - you need to factory reset.

Last edited by sonyfever; 02-10-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:57 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
In the crv You can download hondahack, then tether your phones hotspot to headunit and run netflix, youtube or whatever you want

sadly codeage hasnt done anything for the rdx since he doesnt have access to one