Thank You and Good Luck To All

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019 | 09:05 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robnalex
Thank you. It was traumatic for my dog and I.
Un-fixed it for you....

I don't know why, but the me/I thing really bugs me. Having learned grammar in Germany, I learned that the easiest way to figure out which one to use is to remove the other people (in this case, your dog is a people) so "it was traumatic for I" or "it was traumatic for me?"

Sorry. principal and principle bugs me too. OTOH, I always have problems with capitol and capital and its and it's, so we all have our issues.
Old 07-26-2019 | 09:14 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Hey MeTo! Good Luck and while I am sorry you had so many issues, I am very glad you can get out ahead and I hope your new car works out better than this one did. I am so very glad I decided on the A-Spec, as aside from a flac file going to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep on occasion I've been damn lucky and haven't had any real issues.

However, I feel that it's atrocious that I've had the car for over a year and they still have not fixed for good the infotainment. They've had plenty of time to do that, and the three updates we got should have arrived before Christmas and we should have had fixes and enhancements since the beginning of the calendar year.

Honestly, I really love my car but I can understand how you don't as if I had those issues I'd be ripped and livid.

So, hang in there and best of luck along the way!
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (07-29-2019)
Old 07-27-2019 | 07:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Meto
It's all rumor and there are no facts to back that up. Someone is trolling that forum and it is obvious... 58,000 advanced orders are in the queue for the Palisade, so I have zero worries about it. Eighteen months of production and consumers driving them in Korea and no reports period.. I drove one for 2 days before purchasing and never saw any of this stuff on the black seats or floor
Also, aluminum hydroxide is used as an anti-acid....for humans. So if you have GERD Hyundai may be doing you a favor

Yeah, one random poster and a website article written in Korean that I can't read...not going to write off the Palisades just yet!
Meto (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019 | 08:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Un-fixed it for you.... (I'm an evil person.)

I don't know why, but the me/I thing really bugs me. Having learned grammar in Germany, I learned that the easiest way to figure out which one to use is to remove the other people (in this case, your dog is a people) so "it was traumatic for I" or "it was traumatic for me?"

Sorry. principal and principle bugs me too. OTOH, I always have problems with capitol and capital and its and it's, so we all have our issues.
Ha! Fixed yours too. I usually catch the me/I thing, but I use the Grammarly plugin for Chrome, which catches a lot of my other grammar fails. (And don't anyone dare suggest this is OT.
Old 07-27-2019 | 08:48 AM
Advanced

Ha! Fixed yours too. I usually catch the me/I thing, but I use the Grammarly plugin for Chrome, which catches a lot of my other grammar fails. (And don't anyone dare suggest this is OT.
BINGO! This is so pervasive in the US - MOST TV/movie writers get it wrong too using "I" when it should be "me". I believe this is the result of my generation being constantly corrected as children when we'd say, "Me and Jim are going to go out" instead of, "Jim and I are going to go out.". The result is an entire generation that is afraid to use "me"....even when it's correct. The other big one in the US is "he/she" vs "him/her". People constantly say, "Her and I are going to go out" instead of "She and I are going to go out".

As you said, the easiest thing to do is to take the other person out of the sentence and see if it still makes sense. My wife and I are big on grammar with the children because as an employer it's the first thing I notice. I have found in life many times people who were taught English as a second language have much better grammar than native speakers from the US. I have a friend who was born in Costa Rica and her English grammar is perfect 100% of the time. Sad state of affairs with our education system.

BTW...our Commander and Chief can't speak either. He constantly adds -ly to adjectives - Ex. "I feel badly for him" when it should be, "I feel bad for him". Unless, he means to say he's not good at feeling bad...I don't know.

Last edited by PWMDMD; 07-27-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Thank you. Most kind.
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
BINGO! This is so pervasive in the US - MOST TV/movie writers get it wrong too using "I" when it should be "me". I believe this is the result of my generation being constantly corrected as children when we'd say, "Me and Jim are going to go out" instead of, "Jim and I are going to go out.". The result is an entire generation that is afraid to use "me"....even when it's correct. The other big one in the US is "he/she" vs "him/her". People constantly say, "Her and I are going to go out" instead of "She and I are going to go out".

As you said, the easiest thing to do is to take the other person out of the sentence and see if it still makes sense. My wife and I are big on grammar with the children because as an employer it's the first thing I notice. I have found in life many times people who were taught English as a second language have much better grammar than native speakers from the US. I have a friend who was born in Costa Rica and her English grammar is perfect 100% of the time. Sad state of affairs with our education system.

BTW...our Commander and Chief can't speak either. He constantly adds -ly to adjectives - Ex. "I feel badly for him" when it should be, "I feel bad for him". Unless, he means to say he's not good at feeling bad...I don't know.
It is funny, I learned English and German at the same time, but learned grammar in German grade school. We moved so often that I missed virtually all of the grammar in American schools ("we're doing that next year", "we did that last year"). I was in 14 different schools before I graduated high school. I can't tell you what the parts of a sentence are - or most anything about sentence structure - but I usually get it right.

To get back on track - the Hyundai is getting very good reviews and has some innovative features. If the local Hyundai dealer is decent and fairly modern, then the OP will have a good experience.

Last edited by ceb; 07-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:36 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by ceb
It is funny, I learned English and German at the same time, but learned grammar in German grade school. We moved so often that I missed virtually all of the grammar in American schools ("we're doing that next year", "we did that last year"). I was in 14 different schools before I graduated high school. I can't tell you what the parts of a sentence are - or most anything about sentence structure - but I usually get it right.

If your primary language isn't English, I never noticed, so you must be doing something right!
Old 07-28-2019 | 07:45 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
If your primary language isn't English, I never noticed, so you must be doing something right!
I learned both at the same time (mostly) and s...pent the first three years in German schools before switching to US schools (not many German schools in Albuquerque) until I went back to a European university.

I still divide the German way...
Old 07-28-2019 | 08:00 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by ceb
I learned both at the same time (mostly) and s...pent the first three years in German schools before switching to US schools (not many German schools in Albuquerque) until I went back to a European university.

I still divide the German way...

Cool story!

May I ask, what was your primary language growing up?
Old 07-28-2019 | 09:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Cool story!

May I ask, what was your primary language growing up?
Hard to say. We spoke mostly English at home, but I spoke German at school. We lived on base, so my friends were a mix of the kids in the housing area and my school friends.

I had just a trace of a German accent when we moved back to the states but that is long gone. Now, Germans think I'm Austrian and Austrians think I'm Bavarian.
Old 07-28-2019 | 09:46 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by ceb
Hard to say. We spoke mostly English at home, but I spoke German at school. We lived on base, so my friends were a mix of the kids in the housing area and my school friends.

I had just a trace of a German accent when we moved back to the states but that is long gone. Now, Germans think I'm Austrian and Austrians think I'm Bavarian.
Haha! Sounds cool!

Sounds like a neat accent!
Old 07-29-2019 | 06:44 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

C'est sur.
Flughaufen!
I don't know much German but I do know ceb is a smart dude.
I am a Grammar Nazi as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
ceb (07-30-2019), robnalex (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019 | 08:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Ex. "I feel badly for him" when it should be, "I feel bad for him". Unless, he means to say he's not good at feeling bad...I don't know.
I'll bet 90+% of Americans are unaware of this common error.
Old 07-29-2019 | 10:54 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

is "feel bad" when you grab your crotch and get a chubby?
I feel bad for that guy.
Old 07-30-2019 | 09:10 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

That said, we can't go too far overboard with grammar and the internet. Is brake/break a cause of ignorance, English as a second language or autocorrect?

While we have fewer ESL issues on this forum than on other more international, forums, there are lots of people that use Tapatalk program to access forums (did they ever resolve their privacy issues?) which adds to the auto correct issues.

And then there is the fact that nobody proofs posts, so there are typos everywhere. If we pick on people for typos then I'm in a world of hurt. I sometimes re-read my posts and say "wait, there's a word missing. Where did it go? I know it was there ten minutes ago."

Not to get started on a rant, but why aren't news articles proofed anymore? The number of stupid grammatical errors in mainstream media is staggering.

Sorry, Meto, for having derailed your thread. Please come back and let us know what you think about your new car.
Old 07-30-2019 | 01:20 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by ceb
That said, we can't go too far overboard with grammar and the internet. Is brake/break a cause of ignorance, English as a second language or autocorrect?

While we have fewer ESL issues on this forum than on other more international, forums, there are lots of people that use Tapatalk program to access forums (did they ever resolve their privacy issues?) which adds to the auto correct issues.

And then there is the fact that nobody proofs posts, so there are typos everywhere. If we pick on people for typos then I'm in a world of hurt. I sometimes re-read my posts and say "wait, there's a word missing. Where did it go? I know it was there ten minutes ago."

Not to get started on a rant, but why aren't news articles proofed anymore? The number of stupid grammatical errors in mainstream media is staggering.

Sorry, Meto, for having derailed your thread. Please come back and let us know what you think about your new car.

You prove a point!

Go check out grammarly on FB, it's a grammatical humour page!

So I've heard, skipping words or letters is a sign of intelligence!
Old 07-31-2019 | 12:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb

24 hours in and it is already far beyond my expectations.. I posted a video in the Bluetooth section about the USB Audio, but the sound system, seats, AC and infotainment system make the RDX look subpar in comparison at this point. The number of features it has and the control of those features is amazing. I drove it to work today and had a very quiet pleasant ride using Waze and I am really happy right now
The following 2 users liked this post by Meto:
billyt1963 (08-04-2019), HotRodW (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 03:32 AM
Suzuka Master

24 hours in and it is already far beyond my expectations.. I posted a video in the Bluetooth section about the USB Audio, but the sound system, seats, AC and infotainment system make the RDX look subpar in comparison at this point. The number of features it has and the control of those features is amazing. I drove it to work today and had a very quiet pleasant ride using Waze and I am really happy right now

Congratulations! I seen a Palisade driving down the road today and I don't know how to explain it but it just had so much damn presence! It looked literally the size of an Escalade and I legitimately was surprised at how commanding it was. The one I seen today was a dark purple color. Honestly looked very premium anx upscale. I think I still prefer the Telluride but the Palisade is growing on me.
Old 08-02-2019 | 05:45 AM
Advanced

what's with all the Palisade and Telluride posts? RDX vs those makes no sense
Old 08-02-2019 | 08:24 AM
Pro

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say ever since this thread started. Clearly, the RDX didn't fit the needs of the OP plus he wanted a bigger car. With his RDX being in a major front end prior animal accident costing around $12k in repairs it makes sense to switch it out. I would too. I don't blame the OP.

But it's okay. Let the Hyundai fans have their fun. This thread needed to close after all the grammar Nazis came in and derailed it all.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-02-2019 at 08:29 AM.
blexann (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

^ yawn
RDX10 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 08:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
^ yawn
Yes exactly.
Old 08-02-2019 | 10:17 AM
Racer

Agree, this thread has run far too long onto page 3. If preferences were all the same we would have one vehicle per class and since the government would view this as a monopoly it would be tightly controlled removing the motivation for innovation. Vive la choices!
blexann (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10

Congratulations! I seen a Palisade driving down the road today and I don't know how to explain it but it just had so much damn presence! It looked literally the size of an Escalade and I legitimately was surprised at how commanding it was. The one I seen today was a dark purple color. Honestly looked very premium anx upscale. I think I still prefer the Telluride but the Palisade is growing on me.
If it would stop raining I would take some and post... The paint color you saw was Sierra Burgundy and it is a beautiful color, but I prefer my Forest Rain color
Stew4HD (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 10:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say ever since this thread started. Clearly, the RDX didn't fit the needs of the OP plus he wanted a bigger car. With his RDX being in a major front end prior animal accident costing around $12k in repairs it makes sense to switch it out. I would too. I don't blame the OP.

But it's okay. Let the Hyundai fans have their fun. This thread needed to close after all the grammar Nazis came in and derailed it all.
You have ZERO idea what you are talking about troll... The accident was not 12K and the dealership I bought it from did the work and it had ZERO effect on the systems in the car as it was fully re-calibrated to Acura's standards. If Acura would have addressed the issues, I may have kept it as my full time commuter car, but they didn't. So not only did I buy the Palisade, I also bought a 2019 Hyundai Elantra for my commuter car because it flat out works with no issues. I already have a few hundred miles on the Elantra driving back and forth to work using Waze and not one issue has popped up. Adaptive Cruise works, the auto headlights don't blind anyone and it doesn't suddenly brake in traffic. The infotainment system even loads immediately when I start the car... What a concept?

So, it wasn't the lack of space that was the deciding factor as you don't know who I am and I can spend my money on quality instead of crap... period.

Remember that when you have to pull a fuse or do the "three-finger salute" again to get the system unfrozen. Or have it suddenly slow to a crawl using AC or flat out brake in traffic. My favorite was waiting for the vehicle to move after shifting into reverse and I know all of you have had that happen.
Stew4HD (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 10:44 AM
Racer

Yes exactly.
I think you missed the fact that he was pointing to your post...
The following 3 users liked this post by Meto:
04WDPSeDaN (08-06-2019), HotRodW (08-03-2019), Stew4HD (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 12:21 PM
Pro

No I get the point. You don’t need to explain anything to me.

Let’s just drop it. It’s totally fine. I understand your concerns and your reasons for switching it. The RDX wasn’t a great fit for you. I have my own opinions just like you have your own. Let’s just agree to disagree here. Enjoy your Palisade.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2019 | 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

BAM! I thought it was obvious. Someone farted, stunk up the room, then wondered why everyone is holding their nose!
The following 4 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
04WDPSeDaN (08-06-2019), HotRodW (08-03-2019), markm929 (08-02-2019), RDX10 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 12:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
BAM! I thought it was obvious. Someone farted, stunk up the room, then wondered why everyone is holding their nose!
Lol...I was trying to make a comeback and I guess you guys missed the point.

Again, let’s just drop it. This thread derailed long ago.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-02-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2019 | 01:32 PM
Racer

I smell hijack...
RDX10 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Give it a rest already dude holy shit. Leave the guy and his thread alone. A few days ago you mentioned not adding fuel to the fire and you just can't help yourself or what? Nobody cares about your opinion or input. Keep scrolling along, you're honestly annoying as fuck.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
HotRodW (08-03-2019), Stew4HD (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

If it would stop raining I would take some and post... The paint color you saw was Sierra Burgundy and it is a beautiful color, but I prefer my Forest Rain color
No worries and agreed, I like the color on yours more as well. I've never been a fan of purple or burgundy vehicles.
Old 08-02-2019 | 05:29 PM
Drifting

You prove a point!

Go check out grammarly on FB, it's a grammatical humour page!

So I've heard, skipping words or letters is a sign of intelligence!
My eigth grade English teacher, Mrs. Fingerhut, had it right. It is ‘between you and me’. For about half the term, she would march around the class, with the class repeating, saying, “between you and me, between you and me, it was I it was I it was I, it was he, it was he, it was he, it was she, it was she it was she.”

55 years ago, and I can still hear her limping around (polio got her leg) chanting that, and imbuing it in our subconscious, and I never get it wrong. Plus, I never get the times tables wrong, thanks to another old school math teacher.
Old 08-02-2019 | 08:21 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My eigth grade English teacher, Mrs. Fingerhut, had it right. It is ‘between you and me’. For about half the term, she would march around the class, with the class repeating, saying, “between you and me, between you and me, it was I it was I it was I, it was he, it was he, it was he, it was she, it was she it was she.”

55 years ago, and I can still hear her limping around (polio got her leg) chanting that, and imbuing it in our subconscious, and I never get it wrong. Plus, I never get the times tables wrong, thanks to another old school math teacher.

Ironically, my eigth grade English teacher, Mrs. Cohen, showed me that Facebook group I referenced to.

As a result, I listen or look for grammatical errors in people's conversations or writing.
Old 08-03-2019 | 10:54 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Meto, I know you have 'moved on' but would appreciate occasional posts on how it's going (infotainment and otherwise). I have a 2006 Land Rover that is in impeccable shape and has been amazingly problem free, like zero...but, 14 it's years later and have to plan a replacement within the next year or so. We enjoyed the test drive of the 2019 Santa Fe but didn't find the power of the 2.0T inspiring (but loved everything else). The Kia/Hyundai pair out now will be high on the list, as well as the new MDX coming out, and probably a relook at the 2020 GLC with its new changes.
Old 08-04-2019 | 01:43 AM
Null and proud of it

@Metro Just so you kniw, you are ALWAYS welcome here and we encourage you to post about whatever car you have!
RDX10 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019 | 02:25 AM
Null and proud of it

@Meto Just so you know, you are ALWAYS welcome here and we encourage you to post about whatever car you have!
Old 08-04-2019 | 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EFR
Meto, I know you have 'moved on' but would appreciate occasional posts on how it's going (infotainment and otherwise). I have a 2006 Land Rover that is in impeccable shape and has been amazingly problem free, like zero...but, 14 it's years later and have to plan a replacement within the next year or so. We enjoyed the test drive of the 2019 Santa Fe but didn't find the power of the 2.0T inspiring (but loved everything else). The Kia/Hyundai pair out now will be high on the list, as well as the new MDX coming out, and probably a relook at the 2020 GLC with its new changes.
Here are a few things that are amazing to me:

1. Smart mode transmission is actually a blend of "Eco" and "Sport" mode. When you need the power, it is there.. When you just want to cruise, it is there to get better mpg.. Really don't need to do the transmission select unless you want Eco or Sport all of the time.
2. USB Audio has been absolutely amazing and the lossless audio tracks have the best audio response I have ever heard. I was skeptical that the Harman Kardon system would sound great, but it sounds amazing with plenty of Bass
3. Having the notifications of traffic to your left and right via the video screen on the digital gauges and the HUD is the best thing ever. You no longer have to take your eyes off the road in front of you. Especially in heavy traffic...
4. The Climate Control system is perfect and the ventilated seats get nice and cool.
5. The ride is superior to the XC90 and Lincoln Aviator which I drove prior to this purchase and the cabin is quieter than both.

I like the 2020 GLE, but when I priced out all of the options, it came in at 70k MSRP. I purchased my 2020 Palisade AWD Limited for 44K after a negotiation and loyalty rebates. Have already been stopped a few times by people asking about it. At the local ice cream place, I had about 5 people come up and ask about it last night.

The only thing I miss is the auto locking of the doors, but that is a minor deal...
Old 08-04-2019 | 12:16 PM
Safety Car

I was curious to see how the new palisade and telluride were so I took them out for a test drive. Honestly, these two blow the Pilot out of the water. Sure the AWD on the Pilot might be better, but feature wise and interior materials the Hyundai/Kia twins has it beat. Way more room in the second row, more nifty features, and it doesn’t look like a lifted blobby minivan (especially the Kia). Hell, I’d have a hard time picking the current MDX over these two.

Quick Reply: Thank You and Good Luck To All