Talk me out of trading my 19 RDX Advance for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
It looks like we totally failed in our assignment.

OK. OK, not totally.

You did not end up in some CR-V, you got an F4U.

The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Ih8honda (05-30-2021), JB in AZ (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:19 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
OK, JB, I see that now ....(Corsair is more Escape (size-based), than the Explorer). I don't know why, but the picture of yours you posted seems bigger than an Escape (size). We won't be pulling the plug on our other, non-RDX, vehicle until the '22's come out but the Corsair will be something to consider. At one point I thought our next car may be an all-electric although now I am leaning towards maybe a 'plug-in' hybrid....if nothing else for the gas mileage. I just read an article in Motor Trend saying the new Rav4 plug-in gets around 600 miles per 'tankful' , or tankful equivalent, which is pretty impressive. We'll see whatever 2022 brings....
Old 04-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Looks like MT really liked their Corsair too: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/linc...eserve-review/
Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Our trip ended early...so...As requested, and promised...Comparing 2019 RDX Advance FWD and 2021 Lincoln Corsair Reserve FWD 2.0T 255 HP 280 Torque (201A package, which may be referred to as “Reserve Package. 1”)

Let me start by saying that I really like the RDX. When I bought it, I considered many competitors, and decided on the RDX due to value for what it offered. I test drove the RDX numerous times, along with many of the others. Corsair was not yet available, and I did not like the MKC.

When I started this thread, I was mostly kidding…”mostly”. We had just bought my wife a 2020 CR-V Touring, and I was enjoying the calmer ride of the CR-V on weekends, but it was obviously a bit noisier, and it didn’t offer anywhere near the amenities I enjoyed in the RDX.

Four of my concerns while deciding if I should purchase the 2019 RDX Advance were: the fake engine noise, road noise, ride quality, (just a tad bit firmer than I had wanted) and the "TrueTouchPad" I got used to the fake engine sounds, and the TouchPad became a non-issue, but I would have shied away from this setup on my next purchase…the touch screen is just easier after all these years using them and smart phones.

Besides numerous TSBs, some replacing and updating an earlier TSB, other issues came up during my ~27 month, ~30,000 mile RDX ownership: Once Android Auto became available, it’s connectivity was very inconsistent. After finding that it was probably my phone, I bought a new phone and this resolved it, until Acura provided the next over-the-air update. Then AA would randomly not connect.

I would not have changed vehicles now had that decision not been made for me. I promised myself and my wife (this is the important one) that I would keep it until at least the B2B warranty was over.

The RDX is really an awesome vehicle. So is the Lincoln Corsair. The Corsair just meets MY needs/wants better than the RDX...at almost the same MSRP...within ~$2,000 IIRC.

Here are my observations/comments on the Corsair vs RDX after driving over 1,700 miles in five days:

Infotainment system is very quick no obvious slowness or glitches

AA works every time.

NO fake engine sound.

VERY quiet, comfortable ride. Less “busy”, less firm ride, more supple, but not (in my opinion) too soft and marshmallowy. Truly feels like a luxury car. It handles curves at a speed above what I would normally take them without any issues. Corsair also has adaptive suspension and four drive modes. I only used “Normal” which equates with “Comfort” in the RDX. I always thought the RDX should have one more with “more comfort”. Corsair has “Lane Centering” and Lane Keep Assist. The lane centering works way better than the RDX, and I have yet to experience the unnecessary hard braking that plagues both the RDX and the CRV when another driver in front has exited to a right or left turn before you are in danger.

Seats are very good in Corsair (the next package up has thigh extenders which I do miss) , excellent in RDX (with thigh extenders).

Back up camera has excellent definition (night and day), as well as the infotainment screen. I don’t remember seeing a “Nag screen”. Using AA set to “satellite view” is like viewing a moving drone image! “Revel” 14 speaker audio system is very good, but let’s face it, no competition for the RDX Advance’s 5.1 ELS system. It is fine for my sorry ears.

I REALLY miss “walk away auto lock”… Corsair does not have this.

Corsair has power folding mirrors. I really don’t care about this, but some here do.

I miss auto engage of e-parking brake…Corsair will disengage the e-brake when you start out in either P or D, but will NOT set it automatically.

I miss the RDX’s push button shifter, Corsair has short “piano key” type buttons, it is OK, and takes up much less room, but it is not as intuitive. I have gotten used to it.

Corsair has full physical buttons and knobs for climate control and audio controls.

Corsair’s “Intelligent adaptive cruise” is amazing! It will use posted speed limit signs and let you pre-set the amount over or under you want the cruise to maintain …and it will…even when speed limit changes up or down. You can also set an alert (silent) to notify you if you are going over the speed limit, by whatever amount you choose.

Corsair seems to get better mileage. First day we left from Phoenix at ~1,200 ft elevation and climbed to ~7,000 ft in Flagstaff, and averaged 29.9 mpg at (mostly) 75+mph. Never an issue keeping the speed or passing. Continued on to Page, AZ Elev: 4,117. Gauge now shows 32.2 mpg There is no way the RDX would have done this. I never exceeded 30 mpg on any tankful in the RDX over 30,000+ miles and at least one somewhat similar trip up to Flagstaff, AZ and back.

After ~1,500 miles, total average was 30.1 mpg. This includes going up and over several mountain passes, some 10,000 ft.

Easy to pull up wipers, no special method required.

The following 4 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
GW208 (04-29-2021), Ih8honda (05-30-2021), Jim7707 (04-29-2021), sonyfever (05-01-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EFR
OK, JB, I see that now ....(Corsair is more Escape (size-based), than the Explorer). I don't know why, but the picture of yours you posted seems bigger than an Escape (size). We won't be pulling the plug on our other, non-RDX, vehicle until the '22's come out but the Corsair will be something to consider. At one point I thought our next car may be an all-electric although now I am leaning towards maybe a 'plug-in' hybrid....if nothing else for the gas mileage. I just read an article in Motor Trend saying the new Rav4 plug-in gets around 600 miles per 'tankful' , or tankful equivalent, which is pretty impressive. We'll see whatever 2022 brings....
Corsair based on Ford Escape chassis (Surprisingly, the Corsair has an identical length as the current CR-V, 180.6")
Aviator based on Ford Explorer chassis
Nautilus based on Ford Edge chassis
Navigator based on Ford Expedition chassis
Old 04-28-2021, 10:31 PM
Drifting

OH! And the Corsair has remote start from the FOB AND from the free for life Lincoln app on the phone.
The following users liked this post:
Ih8honda (05-30-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:35 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Oh my, I've not been on the site regularly and just discovered this epic discussion. I've just read through this in one long sitting and my head is spinning. It certainly ends up in an unexpected place.

Belated condolences for your family loss, compounded by the material loss of your RDX. When it rains, it pours...

Well, best wishes and many safe miles with the lovely new Corsair. It sounds like a great choice so far. I'm sure many others will agree that you've been a voice of reason and calm on the board and hope you'll stay around. Keep the updates coming. Take care.
JB in AZ (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
Oh my, I've not been on the site regularly and just discovered this epic discussion. I've just read through this in one long sitting and my head is spinning. It certainly ends up in an unexpected place.

Belated condolences for your family loss, compounded by the material loss of your RDX. When it rains, it pours...

Well, best wishes and many safe miles with the lovely new Corsair. It sounds like a great choice so far. I'm sure many others will agree that you've been a voice of reason and calm on the board and hope you'll stay around. Keep the updates coming. Take care.
Thank you! It has been a difficult few weeks.

And thank you for your kind words, I do intend to stay around. I consider all of you my "car family". My wife probably gets tired of my constant talking about cars, and my kids...well they all have busy careers.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
So we are headed home back to Louisville from the Outer Banks, our ten day get-away. Just as we reenter Kentucky this golden colored SUV passes us. It too has one of those "OBX" stickers on the window and a KY plate. My wife, not a car person, sees it and instantly says: "Isn't that the car your friend (JB) just got?" I catch up and sure enough its a Corsair like JB bought, only not RED. She said she liked the looks of it
So now, just for the fun of it, I need to stop and look one over. Just so happens the Ford/Lincoln dealer is right next door to my Acura dealer. (but not owned by the same auto group). I have no intentions of selling my RDX which I love but I do keep an eye out on the market as one never knows when life might throw them a curve ball like JB had tossed at him recently.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
GW208 (05-04-2021), JB in AZ (05-04-2021), Madd Dog (05-05-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Update:
1. After putting over 3,000 miles on the Corsair, with numerous start cycles, I have not had ONE single infotainment system hiccup or failure of Android Auto to connect...and I plug in my phone EVERY time I get in the car.
2. The RDX is expected to be finished at the body shop on or about May 24th. I am curious to see how it looks.
3. Average MPG to date is 30.1.
4. The insurance company now officially considers the other (responsible) party
"uninsured".
5. Finally got police report, impact speed was reported as 45 mph (I was stopped). The other driver (20 years old) was cited with "excessive speed" (different than "exceeding the posted speed limit") and DUI.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
^ Thanks for the updates. Looks like you have a winner in the Corsair. MPG is likely to improve further as the car ages. It’s a bummer the other car driver was uninsured. Does that mean you pay your deductible but otherwise insurance takes care of the rest?
Old 05-16-2021, 11:39 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Update:
1. After putting over 3,000 miles on the Corsair, with numerous start cycles, I have not had ONE single infotainment system hiccup or failure of Android Auto to connect...and I plug in my phone EVERY time I get in the car.
2. The RDX is expected to be finished at the body shop on or about May 24th. I am curious to see how it looks.
3. Average MPG to date is 30.1.
4. The insurance company now officially considers the other (responsible) party
"uninsured".
5. Finally got police report, impact speed was reported as 45 mph (I was stopped). The other driver (20 years old) was cited with "excessive speed" (different than "exceeding the posted speed limit") and DUI.
I can only imagine how fortunate you and your family must feel after surviving relatively unscathed, JB. Could have been so much worse with a DUI driver and who knows how fast this driver could have increased their speed - 50-60 miles an hour and upwards. Life can change in a heartbeat. Enjoy the Corsair! Sounds like the perfect vehicle for your needs at this stage of your life.
JB in AZ (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Sounds like you are really enjoying your Corsair. The MPG sounds great, especially compared to the RDX. I thing we are averaging about 22 right now which is not what I was expecting...I don't recall what the window sticker said it's EPA would be. We saw our first Corsair on the streets of Las Vegas a couple days ago, a darker metallic blue. Nice looking. Unbelievable the other driver was uninsured....not sure how that happens given insurance is mandatory to register a vehicle.....but obviously it does. The number of hit and runs in Vegas this year are at a record....I guess you can fill in the blanks as to why. At 64 I guess I consider myself and my wife lucky to have avoided any kind of auto accident...so far. However, I have empathy for you. A couple days ago our soon-to-be son in law (27), and 4 weeeks from their wedding, was on his way to work and someone ran a red and plowed right into the driver side of his car. I assume his car is totaled, and of course no one stopped to offer any assistance, nor an eyewitness account. It pretty much took out the front drivers and passenger doors straight in. I know nothing about auto body repair (beyond Bondo), but man, those air bags do a number on the interior. Luckily we are in a position to lend him one of our cars while he, and GEICO, gets their thoughts together. but anyway...thanks for sharing on the Corsair.....it will continue to be on our 'list' as we likely pull the plug on a 2022 something in a few months.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
How did they determine speed of driver that hit you?
Old 05-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
^ Thanks for the updates. Looks like you have a winner in the Corsair. MPG is likely to improve further as the car ages. It’s a bummer the other car driver was uninsured. Does that mean you pay your deductible but otherwise insurance takes care of the rest?
Yes.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EFR
Sounds like you are really enjoying your Corsair. ... Unbelievable the other driver was uninsured....not sure how that happens given insurance is mandatory to register a vehicle.....but obviously it does. ... However, I have empathy for you. A couple days ago our soon-to-be son in law (27), and 4 weeeks from their wedding, was on his way to work and someone ran a red and plowed right into the driver side of his car. I assume his car is totaled, and of course no one stopped to offer any assistance, nor an eyewitness account. It pretty much took out the front drivers and passenger doors straight in. I know nothing about auto body repair (beyond Bondo), but man, those air bags do a number on the interior. Luckily we are in a position to lend him one of our cars while he, and GEICO, gets their thoughts together. but anyway...thanks for sharing on the Corsair.....it will continue to be on our 'list' as we likely pull the plug on a 2022 something in a few months.
Yes, I think the Corsair is a better fit for me than the RDX.
Regarding uninsured driver...she is a Mexican National, with a Mexican driver's license, Mexican plates on the car, and a "proof of insurance" from a supposed Mexican insurance company, that apparently doesn't exist...At least I (or Geico) have been unable to contact them, And get this, the police report lists a Tucson street address for the driver!

Sorry to hear about your soon-to-be son in law. I hope is is ok!

Old 05-16-2021, 02:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
I don't know, except that the speed limit on that road is 45. There were no skid marks as she never applied the brakes. The impact stopped her forward movement.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude

1. SRS control unit ( if equipped)

2. Math calculations using conservation of momentum formula.

3. Crush measurements on both vehicles

Would be three common ways.

Last edited by Showkey; 05-18-2021 at 06:52 PM.
JB in AZ (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Showkey
1. SRS control unit ( if equipped)

2. Math calculations using conservation of momentum formula.

3. Crush measurements on both vehicles

Would be three common ways.
Interesting! FWIW, the vehicle that hit me was a 2020 Kia Forte...I WISH I had had the presence of mind to take a picture of that vehicle after the crash, it was amazingly destroyed. Quite a sight!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting! FWIW, the vehicle that hit me was a 2020 Kia Forte...I WISH I had had the presence of mind to take a picture of that vehicle after the crash, it was amazingly destroyed. Quite a sight!
If it was from MX it may not have been built to US specs.
JB in AZ (05-18-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:13 AM
Racer

All modern vehicles have some level of data recording. GM, an early adopter of computerized engine control systems did this over twenty years ago. For years it was sort of kept secret, or at least kept quiet as far as the public was concerned. During one lawsuit GM spilled the beans sort of. They were being sued (as they always are over something) by a Corvette driver who had been massively injured in a crash. He said it was some fault of the Corvette. Things were looking bad for GM when they sprung their surprise and produced the data that showed this guy was at full throttle when he crashed. Turns out the driver was trying to commit suicide by car but failed leaving him permanently crippled. Using the data fro the computerized controllers in the car GM reconstructed what happen before the crash. They were able to prove the car was not at fault and they were were not liable. In one of my safety system classes I taught at GM I had a special cartridge for my scan tool that would open the hidden part of the air bag control module. There was a wealth of data stored where one could reconstruct what was going on up to the point the airbags deployed. GM had used this data earl on to study how the airbags performed in the real world. They would also sometimes use it when being sued so they could reconstruct the driver's fault that actually caused the crash. There were many legal battles over the years as to who actually owned that data. Lawyers would want it to use in cases but GM never wanted to release it. Now its common knowledge and that data can be obtained by attorneys.
So the short answer is: Yes the speed of the vehicle at the time of the crash is recorded. Also recorded are items like where the throttle was, if the brakes were applied and the deceleration rate of the vehicle, etc. So, knowing the speed of the car is pretty easy to determine. .
JB in AZ (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:41 AM
Drifting

Good.

As long as we don’t have to do math.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Ih8honda (05-30-2021), JB in AZ (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hans471
All modern vehicles have some level of data recording. ... .
Thank you Hans! You are always a treasure trove of valuable information! I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Drifting

JB, it’s been a bit of time, how is your neck? Those things sometimes take time to manifest themselves.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
JB, it’s been a bit of time, how is your neck? Those things sometimes take time to manifest themselves.
Thanks for asking, no issues related to accident. Daughter has none either.
Madd Dog (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
This is an interesting discussion but my my guess is that the speed in this case is just one of the cop's WAG. I'd be surprised that they'd look at the OBD data unless there's a fatality or serious injuries.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I'm glad JB & daughter were not hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by markAZ:
JB in AZ (05-19-2021), Madd Dog (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by markAZ
... my guess is that the speed in this case is just one of the cop's WAG. I'd be surprised that they'd look at the OBD data unless there's a fatality or serious injuries.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I'm glad JB & daughter were not hurt.
Thank you...

and I agree... most likely speed of impact was a guess...Probably a good one, based on what I know of the road, and the traffic conditions at the time.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:29 PM
Racer

JB, glad everyone is OK.

For the record...if you ever want to ram something at 45 MPH....hit another car, not a "brick wall". When striking the wall your car gets the full force of that sudden stop. If you hit another vehicle that is stopped, about half of the impact is absorbed by the vehicle you hit. So that sudden decel from 45 MPH was more like a 22-1/2 MPH crash. That is still violent, but half as much as hitting that darn wall.

Just for fun go watch some of the crash test videos sometime. You will be amazed at how violent a crash really is.
JB in AZ (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2020 rdx aspec awd is a rolling death trap piece of crap Worst purchase everrrrrr

The 2020 rdx aspec awd is a rolling death trap piece of crap Worst purchase everrrrrr I'm on my 2nd 2020 and experienced "limp mode" in both >>> Total loss of ability to accelerate First 1 had 2800 miles..dealer exchanged the car and had same issue at 7,300 miles..ACURA SAYS IM STUCK WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP...A $52K CAR THATS UNRELIABLE DURJNG ACCELERATION SAVE YOURSELF AND BUY A LEXUS, AUDI, RANGE ROVER...EVEN A HYUNDAI IS SAFER THAT THE ACURA RDX!!!!!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 RDX - limp mode = total loss of ability to accelerate

The 2020 rdx aspec awd is a rolling death trap piece of crap Worst purchase everrrrrr I'm on my 2nd 2020 and experienced "limp mode" in both >>> Total loss of ability to accelerate First 1 had 2800 miles..dealer exchanged the car and had same issue at 7,300 miles..ACURA SAYS IM STUCK WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP...A $52K CAR THATS UNRELIABLE DURJNG ACCELERATION SAVE YOURSELF AND BUY A LEXUS, AUDI, RANGE ROVER...EVEN A HYUNDAI IS SAFER THAT THE ACURA RDX!!!!!
Old 05-22-2021, 12:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justrebootme
I always hate reading this sort of thing. I feel for anyone who has to live through this. There is always a recourse for such a thing, always. Cars have warranties and states have Lemon Laws.

My 2019 RDX Advance (the RED one) has been a great car and always runs great. We plan on keeping it for many years. Sorry to hear other owners had less positive experiences and such problems.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Drifting

And the final chapter on my RDX comes to a close. Picked it up from the body shop and delivered it to the Lincoln dealer who now owns it.
The final repair came to just over $12,900. My quick inspection seems to indicate that they did a very good job.

BEFORE 1 & 2

AFTER 1

AFTER 2

AFTER 3

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
GW208 (05-28-2021), hand-filer (05-27-2021), markAZ (05-28-2021), MT-RDX (05-27-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 10:59 PM
Racer

Well, the journey ends......
JB in AZ (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Agree that this is scary. I had the limp mode TSB done several months ago, so far so good. I'm curious if your limp mode experiences were during wet weather? If so, did you have the TSB fix done to replace the intercooler and update the software? If you had the TSB done, was your latest limp mode experience after this was done?
Old 05-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
A Range Rover....Audi...seriously? My 2020 is the best car I ever owned.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Best car I ever owned was a 2013 Lexus GS Sport Sedan with AWD. I had it for three years. Even after significant miles, the car just wouldn't break. I was perfect. Three years of oil changes and that was it. Engine, body work, fit and finish, electronics. The only car I ever owned that was perfect. So far, though, I am loving my 2021 RDX PMC and my wife's 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. The latter is truly impressive as a luxury three-row SUV.

Last edited by Trek; 05-29-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Trek
Best car I ever owned was a 2013 Lexus GS Sport Sedan with AWD. I had it for three years. Even after significant miles, the car just wouldn't break. I was perfect. Three years of oil changes and that was it. Engine, body work, fit and finish, electronics. The only car I ever owned that was perfect. So far, though, I am loving my 2021 RDX PMC and my wife's 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. The latter is truly impressive as a luxury three-row SUV.
There was a time when the next iteration of a product was an attempt at making it better (more features, more reliable, more comfortable, etc.). In the new economy, companies try to figure out how best to fool the consumer by engineering out the quality while making it imperceptible to most (the few that can perceive this are disappointed but they have no choice). Ever since the great financial crisis, products have never been the same. The mantra has been to throw quality out the window and load up on tech whether or not it makes sense. If the tech can be used for spying that’s considered a plus.

Last edited by anoop; 05-29-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
JB, glad everyone is OK.

For the record...if you ever want to ram something at 45 MPH....hit another car, not a "brick wall". When striking the wall your car gets the full force of that sudden stop. If you hit another vehicle that is stopped, about half of the impact is absorbed by the vehicle you hit. So that sudden decel from 45 MPH was more like a 22-1/2 MPH crash. That is still violent, but half as much as hitting that darn wall.

Just for fun go watch some of the crash test videos sometime. You will be amazed at how violent a crash really is.
Great subject Hans! It can be MUCH less than half! The immediate force felt by the driver in a collision has nothing to do with the mass of car. The force on the human body primarily pertains to the time required to decelerate from 45 mph to 0 mph inside the cabin. And that time primarily regards distance. If a car travelling 45 mph (66 feet/second) hits brick wall, the distance over which the driver comes to a stop is essentially the distance of the car’s crumple zone (plus airbag, plus steering wheel deflection, etc.).

The formula for acceleration is:

a = ((Final Speed)² – (Initial Speed)²)/ (2 (distance))

If we assume the car’s crumple zone is three feet,

· a = ((0²) – (66ft/s)²)/ ((2* 3-feet))
· a = -4,356 ft²-s² / 6 ft
· a = -726 ft-sec²
· If we divide that by 32 ft/sec², we convert that to G’s. -726/32 = -22.7 Gs

If however that same car hit a parked car, the distance changes (increases) . The driver has the crumple zone of his car, the crumple zone of the parked car and whatever distance the parked car was shoved. If both cars have a 3-foot crumple zone and the parked car was pushed three feet, the total distance over which the driver went from 45 mph to 0 mph is now nine feet.

· a = ((0²) – (66ft/s)²)/ ((2* 9-feet))
· a = -4,356 ft²-s² / 18 ft
· a = -242 ft-sec²
· Again, if we divide that by 32 ft/sec², to get the force in Gs, - 242/32 = -7.5 Gs.

In this example, the G force on the human body decreased from -22.7Gs to -7.5Gs (effect of airbag and seat belts ignored).

Of course the greater the mass of the moving car with respect to the mass of the parked car, the more the two cars will move together after impact. So yes, hitting a parked car can be far better than hitting a brick wall. But getting into a direct head-on collision with a car of equal mass travelling at an equal speed is another story. That is the same as hitting the proverbial brick wall.

Horrible story. I hope the lemon law can protect you.

Thanks for asking, no issues related to accident. Daughter has none either.
Happy to hear (read) this.
JB in AZ (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 08:39 AM
Drifting

I didn’t know there was going to be math in this thread. Sigh.
Ih8honda (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Drifting

As the OP, if a moderator sees this, perhaps it is time to close this thread? Thank you!
Showkey (06-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Talk me out of trading my 19 RDX Advance for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring