Someone teach me how to use LKAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
The main driver assist feature I use is when I am parking I will activate the 360 camera and use it (that's a tip for people). I generally park at the back of parking lots, to avoid door dings (fingers crossed), so I almost always can just park any way I want. But because of that I still have zero feel for where the car ends. If I'm using my camera I can clearly see that I have room but it looks to me like my hood is about to run into a car. Today, I had to make a very tight turn around a gas pump at a gas station. Even with the camera, it required something like a five-point turn because I had to go around the gas pump to get out and there was also no room to back up. If I hadn't had a camera, I would have just given up and waited for the other people to leave and backed out.

The parking sensors are nice to have, but are actually a detriment many times. They beep for everything and sometimes I can't even tell what it's trying to warn me about. Like a pebble on the road can activate them.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People expect LKAS to autonomously drive/steer (I did) and it does not. Now that I have realized this I think the system works fine.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 07:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I'm assuming the Acurawatch system works the same in my MDX/RLX as the RDX. I only use LKAS, LDW, and ACC outside of the city limits when traveling on the open hwy. I leave the RDM on all the time as a back up since it only alerts at +45 mph when you are over the line. There can be more distractions in the city and over the line RDM alert means not hitting a concrete curb compared driving onto a medium or rumble strip on a hwy.

LKAS: assists with steering inputs to "try" and keep you within the lane boundaries. It is not a handsfree self steer around curves system; but, will provide a little boost if conditions are right (lighting, road markings, weather, light/med traffic, etc...). Very nice feature for long boring hwy drives because it feels like assisted steering.

LDW: Camera based system that works in the background with the LKAS. Designed to alert you when you are getting too close to the line with alarm and/or steering wheel shake. You have to use your turn signal to disable the LDW for changing lanes at hwy speed to avoid the warning.

RDM: Camera based system that works independently from LKAS/LDW. Designed to alert the drive when you are over the line and looks like you are leaving the road surface at higher speeds of +45 mph. It can have an alert along with steering and braking inputs. It can feel like LKAS/LDW and can be hard to tell if you have all three on (depends if you are over the line or not).

I don't like using the systems (LKAS,LDW & ACC) within the city limits or in heavy traffic. They work perfectly for me on the open hwy, decent-good weather, well marked roads, and light-med traffic.
JB in AZ (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:14 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
As a point of reference, lkas and acc works awesome in a 2020 Hyundai Sonata rental I had. Took it on a 16 hour round trip and it practically drove for me. All I needed was to hold the wheel and make occasional corrections, mostly at bigger bends in the highway.

Heavy Toronto traffic, open roads, rain, snow was all fine. Only problem was briefly when the sensors iced over and I lost all assistance.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
One thing I want to add:
LKAS means Lane Keep ASSITANCE System. It is designed to assist the driver stay in the lane, not replace him/her.
The following 3 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
esquire0399 (12-15-2020), mrgold35 (12-13-2020), NooYawkuh (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:32 AM
Banned

I agree that it's not supposed to be an autonomous driving system. I'm just saying that in its current implementation, in my opinion, it doesn't add anything significant to driving performance or experience. It seems like the intention was to decrease driver fatigue because it can be both stressful and fatiguing to steer a car for long periods. I think most people think that the "fatigue" is in "staying awake" or "paying attention to the road," which is why they associate LKAS with being able to let go of the wheel entirely or to be able to "just sit back and relax." But Acura only wanted to decrease the actual arm/hand stress in steering. So LKAS is sort of like an augmentation of your arm muscles, in a way. The steering wheel will helpfully turn to the left or right so you don't have to move it, but you still need to be paying attention and even, for the most part, holding onto the steering wheel. That's fine, but the reality is that it's implemented in a terrible way, whether intentionally (by design) or unintentionally (due to limitations in technology). The way they do it is that the LKAS will just deactivate at random or very suddenly. For example, as I mentioned, I could be on a straight road in stable road and weather conditions and, for no apparent reason, in the middle of this straight course, my LKAS would turn off with no warning. It would just stop "capturing" the road. Usually, it seems like it will not "recapture" the road unless it senses that I am steering, like if I move the wheel slightly. Other times, it will decide that it wants my hand on the wheel and flash the "driver steering required" warning and again I am forced to demonstrate that "I'm still here." I spent most of my time focusing on the dashboard, watching the lines there, which seems to make conditions more dangerous because I wasn't paying attention to the road. Also, the randomness of the disconnections is problematic because, yes, that guarantees that you are paying attention, but it is extremely stressful. It's like if someone was waiting to slap your head the whole time you were driving and you knew it was coming but not when. Then you start flinching or jerking around while you drive to avoid the hit that you think is coming.

To me, the options are either "fully autonomous and you don't even include a steering wheel" or "not autonomous and at most if the car thinks you are falling asleep or having a medical emergency it forces the car to pull over and shuts it off." (I don't advocate that, but if people demand a "nanny car" system then that would be what I would recommend.) The current LKAS implementation doesn't seem to help and, to me, is just irritating.
JB in AZ (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Very well presented, DriverOne! Some people do have difficulty getting used to these safety systems. At first, I was thrilled to have this new tech (had it on my 2018 CR-V, which proceeded the RRX Like i mentioned, I will not buy another car that does not have at least this level. I see them as an assist, and not autonomous, and I don't stress about it loosing the lane markers occasionally or the occasional "steering input required message". I do find it odd that on a straight road, I can keep the steering wheel so steady that the system thinks I am not steering!

However, IF these systems save my butt just one time, then they are totally worth it. I have no issues using them, and do so all the time. You don't.

The conversation here was teaching you how to use it. Hopefully we collectively have done that, now it is your choice to use them, or not. Thankfully, Acura had given us the ability to in fact to make that decision...at least with some of them.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:22 AM
Banned

I actually learned everything from the video I posted, not the forum.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:28 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I almost never use ACC. Nothing against it, I just have never had much use for it. I've had CC in my cars for at least 30 years and the only time I find it useful is on very long trips and for short periods of time. Just so I can shift around in the seat a little and get the blood circulating in my legs and feet. I've probably turned on the CC in all my cars more often just to make sure it's still working rather than put it to use. I've literally gone years without using it in some of my cars.

I tested the ACC and LKAS in the center lane of a relatively deserted 3-lane highway. Feet off the pedals and hands off the wheel. The car tracks well on a straightaway. As it begins to veer in the lane, in addition to the wheel shudder and display warning, the car is nudged back toward the center of the lane. As it over-corrects to the opposite side of the lane, it starts to come back but each time it does it over-corrects more and more. After 3-4 corrections it will eventually lose the lane entirely.

Maybe they could add an alarm to wake me up from my nap. How about Ethel Merman singing "I'm Just Wild About Harry"? That'll do it.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I have driven this car to Florida and back, twice, which is 1300 miles each way.

You get into a groove where you basically follow the path of least resistance as you drive. It is easier to steer in the zone and it tightens things outside the zone. It does take a bit of the load off, not quite as much as the adaptive cruise control, but some.

Tom_D (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
You get into a groove where you basically follow the path of least resistance as you drive. It is easier to steer in the zone and it tightens things outside the zone.
To me, that was actually an issue. The LKAS would cut out at random, then I'd have to take over driving, then it would cut back on, at which point it might be fighting me to get back to whatever it says is "true center," which actually increases my arm fatigue because of the resistance. And I generally drive pretty well centered, so it wasn't even making big corrections, like swinging the car over 6 inches in the lane. It would just be minor corrections but that was worse because the wheel wouldn't move but I would find it extremely "stiff" (that's what she said) all of a sudden. All in all, it's a mess. If I was driving 1300 miles, yeah, I might use it. But on a regular basis, no way.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
For LKAS, I have tested it and found it to work as other described. Fun to play with, but not really useful in my driving. I mainly use it to show off to friends/family.

For ACC, I have learned to not like it. For me, the distance between my car and the car in front is too long. As other pointed out, I get cars jumping in between and causing continual braking of the RDX. I also get random braking when the freeway turns left. The RDX will see a car in the right lane next to (slightly in front) of me and brake. Only happens when turning left. I have had the system recalibrated twice, but still happens. And in a few cases, the car start breaking hard (very hard) with no cars around me. Can't explain it. For me, I simply don't use ACC any more. If it were possible, I would turn off the Auto (A) part and just have CC (like my Honda). But I don't think that is possible on the RDX.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dweilbacher
If it were possible, I would turn off the Auto (A) part and just have CC (like my Honda). But I don't think that is possible on the RDX.
It is possible. It's in the manual. I'll find it and post it if someone hasn't, but I don't have the manual with me.

Also, the thing you describe about sensing cars in the next lane on a curve is unfortunately how it is designed. It's noted in the manual.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:36 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by DriverOne
It is possible. It's in the manual. I'll find it and post it if someone hasn't, but I don't have the manual with me.

Also, the thing you describe about sensing cars in the next lane on a curve is unfortunately how it is designed. It's noted in the manual.
I can switch between ACC and regular Cruise Control on my MDX/RLX by pressing and holding for 1 second the steering wheel ACC interval range button. Press and hold again to re-activate ACC. I only played with it when driving. Don't know if the vehicle remembers the regular Cruise Control setting the next time you restart?
Old 12-14-2020, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I can switch between ACC and regular Cruise Control on my MDX/RLX by pressing and holding for 1 second the steering wheel ACC interval range button. Press and hold again to re-activate ACC. I only played with it when driving. Don't know if the vehicle remembers the regular Cruise Control setting the next time you restart?
Thanks. going to try that tonight.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I have cruise control on an ACC off on my RDX. much like you like a tired of it fast.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
For ACC, I have learned to not like it. For me, the distance between my car and the car in front is too long. As other pointed out, I get cars jumping in between and causing continual braking of the RDX.
Have you experimented with changing the following distance settings?

Old 12-14-2020, 11:21 PM
Banned

The problem isn't the setting, it's how other people drive. You can make the interval as long or as short as you want, but most people have a very poor way of driving where they cut off cars when they merge into lanes. If they cut over in front of you and they're too close, the ACC will interpret that correctly as you being too close and brake. Sometimes this is due to the merging driver being too impatient and just merging over as soon as they're past your bumper. Other times it may be the guy behind them, since often impatient and stupid drivers in the left lane will tailgate people even if they can see that there's no way that the person in front can change lanes. (BTW, I know their response will be "tough, they shouldn't have been in the left lane to begin with then." It's still an extremely stupid reaction to tailgate someone when they can't change lanes.) Then the person being tailgated will get stressed and try to change lanes as soon as possible, which is the tailgater's intention. But anyways, that's the problem with the ACC he's referring to.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:05 AM
mrgold35

I don't know if this would work on the RDX. This I what I do sometimes If the road is a little more crowded and ACC is pushing me further back in the pack. I set my ACC to the lowest interval and set my ACC speed 10-15 mph over the avg pack speed (pack speed 70 mph, set ACC to 80-85 mph). I've noticed the ACC will accelerate harder and maintains the 3-4 second interval more consistently between the vehicle in front. The higher ACC set speed will also take care of "yo-yo" traffic went the road suddenly clears and the pack jumps up 5-10 mph. I still use the gas pedal to close a gap to 2-3 seconds if a 18 wheeler is trying to sneak in and I keep my foot ready for the brakes. Only do this on the open hwy, don't like to use ACC/LKAS within city limits. Not a 100% solution, just a different way to use ACC that you can't do with CC.

A downside might be for the RDX is turbo spool time and 10AT downshifts might slow things down. Having 321hp and 377hp in my MDX/RLX with 7DCT+instant electric TQ give you quicker powertrain response for ACC.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
In heavy, rush hour traffic, I turn it off; too many people cutting in and out and weaving around. In just heavy stop and go, like a closed lane ahead, or just weekend volume, I leave it on.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Just to confirm. I was able to turn on Cruise Mode using this procedure. And note that this mode stays on even after the RDX is turned off and on. I now keep this mode on 100% of the time.

I have driven several times on the freeway with Cruise Mode (ACC turned off) and like it much more. The RDX no longer brakes unexpectedly when cars are beside me or when someone comes between be and the car I am following. Enjoying my RDX a lot more now.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I've never had the car brake unexpectedly. I've heard about it from others here and I understand it can happen (for various reasons) but it's never happened to me.

One time, another car bullied his way in front of me and then suddenly broke, causing me to brake hard. The CMBS activated and not only did I come to a complete stop (not necessary or intended), but the Auto Idle Stop shut off the engine. I was afraid I'd be rear-ended so I gunned the accelerator to overcome it. That's what the manual says to do to cancel it.

I do get the display warning to brake quite often. NY drivers.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 12-21-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

I don't think I'd have the balls to gun the accelerator while the car was braking for me because the guy in front of me was stopping short. That's a bad situation to be in.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:35 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Just to confirm. I was able to turn on Cruise Mode using this procedure. And note that this mode stays on even after the RDX is turned off and on. I now keep this mode on 100% of the time..
I tried this earlier today and didn't get it to work. Does something show up that says "Cruise Mode" on the dash?

I don't know if I'd ever use it, since I love the ACC, but it'd be nice to know it's there if I ever want it.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:13 PM
Banned

If you're in regular cruise control mode, the picture says it will slap a big "CRUISE CONTROL" box in between the ACC and LKAS on your dash.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can set the LKAS to beep when it activates or deactivates so you don't have to keep your eyes on it. On the infotainment screen go to setting, driver assistance. The LKAS works only from 40-75 miles/h if I remember correctly and when it detects the dividing lines, so if your speed is out of that interval it will disengage automatically without any warning besides that beep. I found the LKAS and ACC useful but not excellent.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I tried this earlier today and didn't get it to work. Does something show up that says "Cruise Mode" on the dash?

I don't know if I'd ever use it, since I love the ACC, but it'd be nice to know it's there if I ever want it.
Hope this helps. I made a video for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by kboo74656:
StealthTL-S (01-04-2021), Waetherman (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:46 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
Hope this helps. I made a video for you.
Thanks. I was pressing the cruise set button not the distance button. Now it makes sense.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Glad to help!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:17 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
Since nobody answered my questions, I did a search and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2FWUP_rds4
Thank you for posting the video. I came from an old TL-S six speed manual, i was overwhelmed with all the buttons and options in the RDX (people can laugh, I like simple things like manual transmission). The video really helped me. I bought the RDX in another city and drove back on the interstate after vacation and was lost on the interstate with ACC and LKAS as well as other things I am still learning.....