Snow tire options for 2019 RDX Aspec AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip
I'm a snow tire size dummy. Will 225x65R17's work with the 2019?
The overall diameter of that tire size is about 28.5" ( depending on the exact tire ), whereas the stock tire diameter is 29.2". So although the 225/65R17 will work, the car's speedometer and odometer will read about 2% high. So it will read 51 mph when you are really going 50 mph. ( Probably not a big problem )

The 17" size closest to stock tire dimensions is 235/65R17.

You would also need to make sure the 17" wheels clear the brakes, and especially the parking brake cables at the rear.
The following users liked this post:
cheffip (11-16-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
From Tire Rack, I ordered a package:

YOKOHAMA ICEGUARD IG51V and ANDROS SPEC K 19" rims. They came mounted and balanced with TPMS sensors already installed. Just need to get to Acura for the switch up and have them store my all seasons.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my RDX (tech 2020) yesterday and bought winter tires thru the dealer as well. So happy to finally join the club!

They recommended Nokian Hakka 9 (studless, apparently they exists even if they’re not mentioned on Nokian website) over the Nokian R3 (studless and can’t be studded).

I kinda have buyer’s remorse for listening to their advice and go with studless Hakka 9. I don’t understand how a tire designed to be studded can perform better, while being studless, than a tire specifically designed to be studless.

I’d like to have some advice. Does anyone have better knowledge than me or own either tires?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Studded tires aren't allowed in many areas of the USA, because of the wear they inflict on roads. Also, they are extremely noisy and perform poorly on dry or wet pavement. Apparently studdable tires are shipped from the manufacturer without studs, and studs are installed at the dealer. There is nothing better than a studded tire on glare ice or hard-packed snow.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...d-winter-tires

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires on a couple of my crossovers ( three if you include my daughter's CR-V ) and Bridgestone Blizzaks on another. No comparison to all-season tires. They are amazing on ice or snow. But Blizzaks will wear especially fast on warm dry pavement because of the soft "microcell" tread compound.

As an anecdote, I put Michelin "all-weather, 3PMSF rated" CrossClimate tires on my daughter's CR-V, thinking that would be a one-tire solution and avoid the problems of tire storage and changeover, but after one big snowstorm at her new home in MSP, we are putting on the winter tires with which she learned to drive in winter. Icey intersections scared the crap out of her.

The Hakka 9 is a budget alternative to the Hakka R3 SUV. The R3 SUV can be difficult to source during the heart of winter. I know Discount Tire tends to stock the Hakka 9, while R3 SUV is special order.

I am extremely skeptical that Hakka 9, without studs, offers superior performance to Hakka R3 SUV, Blizzak, or Michelin X-Ice. I would suggest any of those 3 if your conditions warrant a dedicated winter tire, but aren't so extreme as to require a studded tire.

If the tires are from Discount Tire, they will take care of you if you change your mind. Other dealers may also have a time-limited satisfaction guarantee.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Your best option would be to buy a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires (17" is best). Partially because 20" wheels are super expensive and partially because larger rims with smaller sidewall means they will wear faster and have less tread to bite into the snow. Also it would be annoying to have to change the rubber each season.
Very practical and logical advice, but looks crappy as the 17's would require a 60 series tire with a much higher profile sidewall that just wouldn't match the aesthetic of the car. Might as well get steelies while you're at it so you can really ruin the appearance of the car. (ba-dum-tss)

IMHO, the wheels really make or break the appearance of a car. If you're going to put a minus 2 setup on it, you might as well just get a practical compact SUV like the CR-V, as that's what it's for. If you're going to pay a premium to get a great looking compact luxury SUV like the RDX, give it the wheels that it deserves (18" alloys or better) or just put winter tires on the existing rims.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these rub at all when going over bumps fast, railroad tracks at speed, tight corners........ or do they feel like stock or better!! I think perfect if you can have a little more height with this wheel!!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Do you mean sidewall height or ride height? Increased ride height is unlikely to improve anything ( pet peeve of mine, as others will attest ).

"plus sizing" or "-minus sizing" means you increase ( or decrease ) the wheel diameter but select a different profile ratio tire so that the overall outer diameter of the tire stays roughly the same. So ride height, steering geometry ( scrub radius in particular ), and speedometer calibration are unchanged.

Increased tire sidewall height ( higher profile tire ) will improve comfort, but may make the handling a bit more vague. Some will argue that the lighter wheel associated with a higher profile tire ( "minus sizing" ) will improve acceleration. ( Probably true, but the effect may be small ).

But in terms of handling, if it's the difference between a 235/55R19 or a 235/60R18, a different tire model/manufacturer may make as much difference as the different profile ratio. Winter tires certainly feel different than all-season tires, but not to the point of feeling unstable, even on fun curvy roads. But I don't drive on cheap winter tires.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear

did plus sizing the tire on these A Spec wheels cause any rubbing when turning or going over bumps and railroad tracks..........bottoming up
Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
I cannot get over how absolutely gorgeous the A-Spec wheels are. There is no way the designer of the Elite model wheels designed the A-Spec wheels.
245-50-20 by going up to this size on the A Spec wheels any rubbing or bottoming out, going over curbs, bumps, railroad tracks especially at speed??
Old 05-25-2020, 11:38 PM
Drifting

In general, rubbing is most likely to happen at full suspension compression with the front wheels turned. And unfortunately, that's pretty difficult to test. And even more unfortunately, if that happens at speed in a bumpy corner, bad things can happen.

Having said that, I would be more worried if the tires were wider.