AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Small screw on my tire (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/small-screw-my-tire-974599/)

Yotrek 11-04-2018 12:47 PM

Small screw on my tire

Wash the car this morning to find out that my front right tire there's small screw on my tire, bit on outer side, according to ppl cannot be fix, need new tire , I just left it there incase, I am thinking bringing it to my dealer, do you think they would replace me with new tire with a discount price since the car is new?

MI-RDX 11-04-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16325720)
...I am thinking bringing it to my dealer, do you think they would replace me with new tire with a discount price since the car is new?

If they do you have a very good dealer. Why should they take any responsibility for something that happens to the vehicle after you drive it off? My last vehicle I got a rock chip in the windshield a week after I got it - would never even consider asking the dealer to do something for me because it was new.

If anything I'd check to see if there might be road hazard coverage from the tire manufacturer (probably not but it wouldn't hurt to check).

Yotrek 11-04-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16325726)
If they do you have a very good dealer. Why should they take any responsibility for something that happens to the vehicle after you drive it off? My last vehicle I got a rock chip in the windshield a week after I got it - would never even consider asking the dealer to do something for me because it was new.

If anything I'd check to see if there might be road hazard coverage from the tire manufacturer (probably not but it wouldn't hurt to check).

Exactly, the manager told me that I have road hazzard coverage when I pick the car up..will see

kurtatx 11-04-2018 01:48 PM

Don't buy the tire at the dealer. Go to like Discount tire and see if they can fix it. Then only replace the 1 tire.

birdonamission 11-04-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16325728)
Exactly, the manager told me that I have road hazzard coverage when I pick the car up..will see

One of the things the Finance Manager tries to sell you besides an extended warranty (e.g. D82, 8/120,000) and the Acura Care maintenance package that you have to pay extra for is road hazard coverage for tires.

So... You should remember if you paid for that (the manager shouldn't have to tell you whether you have that coverage or not). Does your contract show a line item for Road Hazard and the amount you paid for it? I paid $490 extra for that.

birdonamission 11-04-2018 05:04 PM

To add (which I'm sure is the reason there would be doubt the RDX's basic tire warranty would cover running over a screw):

Tire warranties that come with cars cover manufacturing defects, not randomly running over a tack on some random road in some random place (this falls under the category of "road hazard," which like I said, is extra coverage that you pay for). That's truly not Conti's nor Goodyear's nor Michelin's, etc., fault (liability) that that happened.

Here's the page that discusses tire warranties in the PDF in the Warranty tab in owners.acura.com:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f087460efe.png

Yotrek 11-04-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by birdonamission (Post 16325810)
To add (which I'm sure is the reason there would be doubt the RDX's basic tire warranty would cover running over a screw):

Tire warranties that come with cars cover manufacturing defects, not randomly running over a tack on some random road in some random place (this falls under the category of "road hazard," which like I said, is extra coverage that you pay for). That's truly not Conti's nor Goodyear's nor Michelin's, etc., fault (liability) that that happened.

Here's the page that discusses tire warranties in the PDF in the Warranty tab in owners.acura.com:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f087460efe.png

Thanks for the info

birdonamission 11-04-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16325824)
Thanks for the info

You're welcome. Just wanted to mention for informational reasons.

Yotrek 11-04-2018 05:44 PM

Is this can still be plug?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...dad0716c53.jpg

MI-RDX 11-04-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16325831)
Is this can still be plug?...

I see no reason why not- usually anything in the tread and more than 1/4 inch away from the sidewall can be repaired. If someone told you the tire had to be replaced for that they don't know what they're talking about.

kurtatx 11-04-2018 06:00 PM

Yeah, Discount will more than likely remove that screw for free

samiam_68 11-04-2018 06:09 PM

Is this can still be plug?

Yes, this can definitely be plugged. I had a screw in almost the same exact location, perhaps even a little closer to the edge. Took it to a gas station that is also a repair shop. $15 to plug and good as new for a couple of years now.
Don't take it to a chain place - they will claim liability blah blah blah and will try to sell you a new tire.

Yotrek 11-04-2018 07:57 PM

Thanks all for the input, Costco told me can’t be repair, need new tire because close to the side, I kind of don’t believe them too..

Jim7707 11-04-2018 10:33 PM

Discount won't repair it if it is within 1" (I believe) of the sidewall of the tire. I went through this on my 2G RDX. Your screw appears to be pretty close to the no fix zone. My discount had a sample tire on the showroom floor that had been painted up showing the area they won't touch. They will tell you right away if they can fix it. If you are very lucky it is a short screw that didn't penetrate through the tire.

It can definitely be plugged but you might not find reputable tire shop (Discount, Costco etc.) to do it due to the liability involved.

thoiboi 11-04-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16325888)
Thanks all for the input, Costco told me can’t be repair, need new tire because close to the side, I kind of don’t believe them too..

Take it to an independent tire shop and see if they'll do it then. Costco is just CYA: Covering Your (their) Asses. They don't want the liability if their repair fails since it's so close to the sidewall. I had a similarly place screw near a sidewall and a shop was also able to repair it. Not sure why you think someone would give you a discount for a new tire though.. :squint:

Dereileak 11-05-2018 01:09 AM

I would think that would be repairable, but you would want a patch fix, from the inside, not just a plug, patches are the correct way to fix a tire, they will need to take the tire off the rim and inspect, and then do the patch if it is

Something like this: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/cam...hoCMCYQAvD_BwE

its a patch with the plug attached to it, but the patch part is important

ednigma 11-05-2018 04:23 AM

^^^^ This. The patch with plug installed with the tire off and the proper application of "vulcanizing glue" will help prevent the leakage of water that can rust the steel belts which can cause failure of the tire. A patch only can let water in from the tread side, a plug only may allow stress cracks to radiate from the repaired hole.

Wander 11-05-2018 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim7707 (Post 16325952)
If you are very lucky it is a short screw that didn't penetrate through the tire.

Just the tip? :rolleyes:

subin 11-06-2018 08:28 AM

screw that didn't penetrate through the tire

Originally Posted by Jim7707 (Post 16325952)
. If you are very lucky it is a short screw that didn't penetrate through the tire.

I recently had a 3/4" screw on the tire on the BRZ, but did not penetrate it and no leak thus far. I am a little worry about driving hard would put stress on the spot and somehow tears that now thinner spot. Please tell me I think too much...

Yotrek 11-06-2018 09:20 AM

I drop off the car yesterday at my dealer to have them look at it, first thing I ask if there's warranty on the new tire if it need to be replace, after checking on the warranty that come with my purchase, he told me yes, it's under warranty, but turn out when they take the screw off the tire, it actually just small and short screw, so didn't penetrate, and its all good they said...FYI

ednigma 11-06-2018 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by subin (Post 16326989)
I recently had a 3/4" screw on the tire on the BRZ, but did not penetrate it and no leak thus far. I am a little worry about driving hard would put stress on the spot and somehow tears that now thinner spot. Please tell me I think too much...

OK You think too much:rolleyes: Well the steel belts are there to strengthen the contact surface of the tire and to prevent punctures, so as long as the belts are not damaged, no worries. If the screw actually punctured the roadside of the belt structure but not through it, there's a small chance the water will rust the steel belts over time which could lead to failure.

ednigma 11-06-2018 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yotrek (Post 16327025)
I drop off the car yesterday at my dealer to have them look at it, first thing I ask if there's warranty on the new tire if it need to be replace, after checking on the warranty that come with my purchase, he told me yes, it's under warranty, but turn out when they take the screw off the tire, it actually just small and short screw, so didn't penetrate, and its all good they said...FYI

So did you pay for road hazard warranty - was it slipped into the price of the car? Or was it provided pro bono. As discussed, usually road hazard warranty is always extra cost up front.

MI-RDX 11-06-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by subin (Post 16326989)

Don't worry about it. In the past I've put 40,000 miles on a tire with 2 plugs in it. Nothing bad happened. Is it possible? Yeah, anything is possible but in this case not likely.

Madd Dog 11-06-2018 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by MI-RDX (Post 16327380)
Don't worry about it. In the past I've put 40,000 miles on a tire with 2 plugs in it. Nothing bad happened. Is it possible? Yeah, anything is possible but in this case not likely.

I have never had a plug fail in a tire either.

Yotrek 11-06-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ednigma (Post 16327363)
So did you pay for road hazard warranty - was it slipped into the price of the car? Or was it provided pro bono. As discussed, usually road hazard warranty is always extra cost up front.

I turn down all the extra they offer me, and I can confirm on my sales contract that nothing extra I paid, I kind of surprise too when they went on input my vin number on their computer to check what’s included, they told me yup you are cover for tire replacement if need it..

Master47 11-07-2018 07:20 AM

Wow, none of the official paperwork I have from Acura indicates that at all...I have what Birdonamission shared earlier.

birdonamission 11-07-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Master47 (Post 16327754)
Wow, none of the official paperwork I have from Acura indicates that at all...I have what Birdonamission shared earlier.

Yeah, I’m like, “Wha...??”

I paid ~$500 extra for Road Hazard coverage and this guy just walks in and gets waved in like it was no skin off anybody’s back.

I don’t know if that service department is clueless or generous, handling out freebies (treats, not tricks) like that.