Setting Google or Waze as default Carplay map

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:49 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Setting Google or Waze as default Carplay map

If I understand this right, for I-Phones and Android, Apple has created the ability to use Google or Waze (or whatever) as the default map in Carplay instead of Apples map/nav. However, before that can happen, Google or Waze need to rewrite some software. Do I have that right?
Old 05-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Lookit this. https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/u...-maps-0192301/

When driving, you can get directions hands-free by asking Siri. You can also make general map searches, show a location's details, call a query's phone number, and view traffic details. However, Siri defaults to Apple Maps for all those. If you prefer Google Maps, Waze, or another third-party navigation app, the map-based Siri commands won't work. But that doesn't mean you can't still use Siri.
It then goes on from there.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:15 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I'm not sure about anything Apple, but using Android Auto, I can select either Waze or Google Maps as the default map display. Or, I can just use the built-in nav.

I don't really understand the question. Apple and Google have nothing to do with one another. Two different systems, depending on which phone you have.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I'm not sure about anything Apple, but using Android Auto, I can select either Waze or Google Maps as the default map display. Or, I can just use the built-in nav.

I don't really understand the question. Apple and Google have nothing to do with one another. Two different systems, depending on which phone you have.
Carplay, being Apple, uses Siri for vouce commands. If you say “Siri, drive to.....” it will use Apple Maps.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:59 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
NooYawkuh...correct..I did not phrase the question/issue that well, Version 13.4 of IOS has introduced a new ability with carplay, and basically, from what I understand, you can default to Google Maps/Nav or Waze when you plug your phone in instead of seeing Apples map. Of course you could always have used those apps but apparently now you can just set your phone to default to whichever you prefer at start-up...Google or Waze. As I have read more about it today, the problem at the moment is that Google/Waze still need to write the software to allow this to happen. I had heard not anything in a few weeks about this since 13.4 came out and was not sure where this stood...but see now..."Apple's CarPlay smartphone integration system has a handy feature called Dashboard that enables you to view multiple apps at the same time via a split-screen view. This is especially handy when you have the phone's navigation system running alongside the media player.

The downside with Dashboard is that it only functions with Apple's own apps, so using a third-party app like Google Maps means the map still takes up the whole screen.
This all changes with version 13.4 of the iPhone's iOS operating system.

As first noticed by The Verge on Thursday, Dashboard has been updated so that it supports third-party apps. The developers of those third-party apps will still need to add Dashboard support however, and right now popular map apps like Google Maps and Waze are yet to receive it.

Version 13.4 of iOS also introduces in-call information from third-party apps to Dashboard."

Or:

"CarPlay support for third-party mapping apps was first introduced back in iOS 12, but users were restricted to opening those apps in full-screen view.

Now, with the iOS 13.4 update released earlier this week, CarPlay users will be able to select and view third-party navigation platforms in a split screen-like view on the Dashboard interface.

It's worth noting that Apple has only added the ability for apps to use Dashboard, and developers will still need to implement that support on their end. Two popular services, Google Maps and Waze, don't support the feature, for example. Interestingly, Apple lists both as compatible with the new Dashboard integration on its CarPlay webpage.

Apple's iOS 13.4 also introduces in-call information from third-party apps to the Dashboard, along with other new features like iCloud Folder Sharing, universal purchases for Mac and iOS apps, and support for trackpads and mice on iPad.

Looking ahead, a leaked internal version of iOS 14 hints that the ability to set custom wallpapers for CarPlay units could arrive in that software update

And:

pple's iOS 13.4 release has brought with it new support for third-party map apps on its dashboard.

As reported by The Verge:
CarPlay, Apple's in-car interface, just got better thanks to an update that lets you use third-party map apps on its dashboard.

The CarPlay dashboard displays information from multiple apps at once, like music and maps, which can help you get to your destination, but you could only use Apple Maps until now. Third-party map apps had to use a full-screen view instead of appearing as a split-screen on the dashboard. With iOS 13.4, third-party apps can finally be made to work on the dashboard, too
Developers of map apps will still need to enable CarPlay support on their end, which is why neither Google Maps nor Waze will work just now. Google told The Verge it was committed to "exploring ways to make the in-vehicle experience more seamless." Apple's own Maps service is, of course, front-and-center of the CarPlay experience, and Apple has previously admitted that it has poured billions of dollars into its Maps software.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Carplay, being Apple, uses Siri for vouce commands. If you say “Siri, drive to.....” it will use Apple Maps.
But you can always add "using Google maps" and it will open Google maps with your desired destination

Example: "Siri, drive to home using google maps"

It works on mine all the time, same for texting.
The following users liked this post:
lausy (05-13-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDMaccord3.5
But you can always add "using Google maps" and it will open Google maps with your desired destination

Example: "Siri, drive to home using google maps"

It works on mine all the time, same for texting.
gotta try that.