Safety Recall: 2019 RDX Fuel Pump Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:28 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bluntman72
Thanks for this...I wasn't too sure if I had to remove the items from the rear storage compartment.
now that is a thought. Are they smart enough not to need to do that? I have a sub amp wired up back there, so if I need to go in, I will definitely give them specific instructions on not touching the bin.
thanks for heads up.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
How do you get rid of the Recall notification in the AcuraLink app? I got the recall service 2 days ago and still see the message.
I had my fuel pump replaced a week ago, and I noticed today that the notification In the app is finally gone. Probably takes a few days until they get their database updated.
The following users liked this post:
bluntman72 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Dropped mine off today. I haven’t had the slightest bit of issue with it though but better to be safe.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Just picked it up. Took them less than 3 hours once I dropped it off. but I was at the pool so I waited til end of day. All is fine. Like I said I never had any issues, but it does seem to have a little more pep for whatever reason so maybe the pump was suffering some and I didn’t know it.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
My alert finally disappeared from the app.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Took the RDX to the dealer yesterday to get the fuel pump recall done. We made the appoint last Tuesday. After two hours at the dealership, the Service Advisor calls to say that they don't have any fuel pumps in stock and we have to reschedule. WTF? When I went back to the dealer, I asked to speak to the Service Manager to get an explanation on how we made an appointment to get the recall done and they ended up with no fuel pumps to install. His answer was that American Honda's computer system got hacked recently and the inventory isn't correct. Then he told me that the fuel pumps are on back order. He seemed like a nice guy, but I don't know if he was FOS or not.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My alert finally disappeared from the app.
They called me for my 2019 RDX A Spec.the other day. I will take it in when I get a half a tank of gas. I hate for my car to smell like a gas station.

Did any one notice that the failing pump was made by DENSO which is Toyota parts.
For my old 90 Legend the parts were made by Honda japan.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Drifting

No smell after I fixed it.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
No smell after I fixed it.
I concur. I brought my 2019 Acura RDX Tech to Acura of Honolulu for the fuel pump safety recall with a full tank of gas. Everything is A-okay.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Midi Man
They called me for my 2019 RDX A Spec.the other day. I will take it in when I get a half a tank of gas. I hate for my car to smell like a gas station.

Did any one notice that the failing pump was made by DENSO which is Toyota parts.
For my old 90 Legend the parts were made by Honda japan.
I'm gonna defer to Wikipedia on this one:
"DENSO Corporation is a global automotive components manufacturer headquartered in the city of Kariya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan. After becoming independent from Toyota Motors, it was founded as Nippon Denso Co. Ltd. in 1949. About 25% of the company is owned by Toyota Motor."

AFAIK DENSO is the primary OEM parts supplier for Honda/Acura. AFAIK that has been true for a long time.

If it makes you feel better, I believe Honda recently purchased a controlling interest in Showa, their long-time preferred supplier of shock absorbers and struts.

In general, the name on the little baggie that your OEM part comes packaged in has very little to do with who actually made it. Dodge/MOPAR doesn't wind armatures, and neither does Honda. And that's a good thing. The real difference vs the '90's is that OEM sourcing arrangements are a little more transparent in the information era.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
I'm gonna defer to Wikipedia on this one:
"DENSO Corporation is a global automotive components manufacturer headquartered in the city of Kariya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan. After becoming independent from Toyota Motors, it was founded as Nippon Denso Co. Ltd. in 1949. About 25% of the company is owned by Toyota Motor."

AFAIK DENSO is the primary OEM parts supplier for Honda/Acura. AFAIK that has been true for a long time.

If it makes you feel better, I believe Honda recently purchased a controlling interest in Showa, their long-time preferred supplier of shock absorbers and struts.

In general, the name on the little baggie that your OEM part comes packaged in has very little to do with who actually made it. Dodge/MOPAR doesn't wind armatures, and neither does Honda. And that's a good thing. The real difference vs the '90's is that OEM sourcing arrangements are a little more transparent in the information era.
Hum, Thanks for the info. from my Toyota friends that are certified Toyota mechanics they told me Denso was exclusive Toyota parts. now I know things change a lot and it's most likely true that Denso are used in a lot of different cars now.
My old 92 ls-400 has Denso parts in it and that is the best part for that car since it's the OEM part.

Also this is not a pissing contest I am just discussing what I have been told.previously and do not want to offend anyone in here.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
No offense taken. Nowhere is globalization more apparent than in the automotive business. No doubt much of Toyota's reputation for reliability stems from their careful vetting of 3rd-party components they put into their cars.

Denso is an OEM supplier of automotive components for multiple automakers, and they also make aftermarket car parts. And that's something to be careful of, because they aren't always the same quality; buyers of aftermarket parts tend to be focussed on cost. I'm not a pro mechanic, just a long time DIY guy with a very long string of Honda/Acura vehicles and a couple Toyotas. And a couple Jeeps.

But good manufacturers can have a bad day, and it sounds like that's what happened with this fuel pump.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wander
No offense taken. Nowhere is globalization more apparent than in the automotive business. No doubt much of Toyota's reputation for reliability stems from their careful vetting of 3rd-party components they put into their cars.

Denso is an OEM supplier of automotive components for multiple automakers, and they also make aftermarket car parts. And that's something to be careful of, because they aren't always the same quality; buyers of aftermarket parts tend to be focussed on cost. I'm not a pro mechanic, just a long time DIY guy with a very long string of Honda/Acura vehicles and a couple Toyotas. And a couple Jeeps.

But good manufacturers can have a bad day, and it sounds like that's what happened with this fuel pump.
Yes. I have been a long time Acura and Honda guy my self. Had a 90 Legend L mint with 90 k on it before this car. I also had a 89 Civic it was my beater car. Yes poop happens. I just can't remember when I got parts for either the Honda / Acura They were branded Honda not Denso. Either way they are using Densio now.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arjaykay
I went to the Acura Owner's Site and entered my VIN and it showed my RDX was under recall. I was also notified on my AcuraLink app. I called my dealership and the recall was confirmed and the part ordered. I brought my RDX in on Monday and the part was replaced in an hour and ten minutes. Very happy with the service and the whole experience. No complaints.
I made my appointment 10 days ahead, went there early in the morning just to be told my parts was back-ordered. I asked them why didn't they call me ahead so I wouldn't waste a trip. He told me that he didn't work the day before, so he didn't get a chance to call. I was like, I scheduled 10 days ahead, that shouldn't be a problem to let me know ahead. He was speechless, so frustrating.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by skinnyboy09
I made my appointment 10 days ahead, went there early in the morning just to be told my parts was back-ordered. I asked them why didn't they call me ahead so I wouldn't waste a trip. He told me that he didn't work the day before, so he didn't get a chance to call. I was like, I scheduled 10 days ahead, that shouldn't be a problem to let me know ahead. He was speechless, so frustrating.
Wow, And have they ever heard of Team work? I guess you feel like you bought a ford because that is the service you just got. I would be totally pissed. Acura or the dealer needs to understand that this a luxury car from the car to the dealer.not a ford..
Old 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I really like my Service Advisor and the Technician who worked on my RDX. They both own one also, which makes it easier to communicate my concerns with them.
So, I called the Advisor two Fridays ago, left a message for him to check if my RDX is on the recall list (because Owner's website said no). He called back on the same day told me mine is in the list and he already ordered the part, which will take about 3 days to receive and we setup an appointment for this service.

Called two days ahead of the appointment to confirm the part indeed arrived. Went in with a full tank of gas, the procedure with B maintenance, Clorox disinfect, and car wash took about 4 hours to complete. When I got it back, there was no gasoline smell, but noticed the fuel was at 3/4 tank when I got home. I called the Advisor about this, worrying about the malfunctioning of the fuel float/sensor. He told that the Technician did not mention anything about removing some of the fuel from the tank. He did offer to give me a full tank of gas the next time I need to refill, but I just filled it myself and the fuel gauge showed "full"...
Old 07-02-2020, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subin
I really like my Service Advisor and the Technician who worked on my RDX. They both own one also, which makes it easier to communicate my concerns with them.
So, I called the Advisor two Fridays ago, left a message for him to check if my RDX is on the recall list (because Owner's website said no). He called back on the same day told me mine is in the list and he already ordered the part, which will take about 3 days to receive and we setup an appointment for this service.

Called two days ahead of the appointment to confirm the part indeed arrived. Went in with a full tank of gas, the procedure with B maintenance, Clorox disinfect, and car wash took about 4 hours to complete. When I got it back, there was no gasoline smell, but noticed the fuel was at 3/4 tank when I got home. I called the Advisor about this, worrying about the malfunctioning of the fuel float/sensor. He told that the Technician did not mention anything about removing some of the fuel from the tank. He did offer to give me a full tank of gas the next time I need to refill, but I just filled it myself and the fuel gauge showed "full"...
They had to take some gas out i think., My dealer told me to bring it in with a 1/2 or 1/4 tank.full. just to be on the safe side. Do you notice any difference in gas mileage?
Old 07-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Racer

... Do you notice any difference in gas mileage?
Funny you asked this. I did notice increase in gas mileage. The RDX is in Sport mode and I do mainly city driving. Before the TSB service, I was getting around 17 ~ 18 mpg per the gauge. After the TSB service (since last Friday and around 50 miles after), it showed 20.1 mpg.
I just topped off the tank 15 miles ago (with resetting the trip meter), and it is at 18.9 mpg now.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dealer here (SE PA) won't have the parts until mid-July. Told me to call "around the 15th" to schedule.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Funny you asked this. I did notice increase in gas mileage. The RDX is in Sport mode and I do mainly city driving. Before the TSB service, I was getting around 17 ~ 18 mpg per the gauge. After the TSB service (since last Friday and around 50 miles after), it showed 20.1 mpg.
I just topped off the tank 15 miles ago (with resetting the trip meter), and it is at 18.9 mpg now.
IF you don't mine me asking where are you located and which model do you have. I am in NYC and I am getting 14 in the city and I mean real city. driving. Highway I get 28 with the A Spec.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:57 AM
Racer

IF you don't mine me asking where are you located and which model do you have. I am in NYC and I am getting 14 in the city and I mean real city. driving. Highway I get 28 with the A Spec.
Spoke too soon... It is back down to 17.5 mpg. Oh well.
I am near Los Angeles and the city driving here is not like in NYC.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:05 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Spoke too soon... It is back down to 17.5 mpg. Oh well.
I am near Los Angeles and the city driving here is not like in NYC.
Not really seeing how a new fuel pump would have improved fuel economy -- which is a function of the engine combustion process. Unless it's leaking, a fuel pump isn't consuming fuel.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJA123
Not really seeing how a new fuel pump would have improved fuel economy -- which is a function of the engine combustion process. Unless it's leaking, a fuel pump isn't consuming fuel.
It could apply to much fuel but the injector should limit the amount.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM
Unregistered Member

It could apply to much fuel but the injector should limit the amount.
A return fuel system will 'return' excess fuel to the tank. A returnless fuel system will supply fuel to the injectors, which will remain pressurized and will meter fuel into the engine. Either way, a fuel pump never consumes fuel, it's just a pump.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by skinnyboy09
Sounds like our dealer. Only difference is that I actually dropped off the RDX for the recall and went home. Then I got a call two hours later telling me that the part wasn't available and that I had to come pick up the vehicle. My appointment was made a week in advance. Idiots....
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom2
Sounds like our dealer. Only difference is that I actually dropped off the RDX for the recall and went home. Then I got a call two hours later telling me that the part wasn't available and that I had to come pick up the vehicle. My appointment was made a week in advance. Idiots....
Make you feel like you bought a Ford or Chevy with service like that. I would complain to Client relations. They just wasted your time
Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
anyone have any issues since they got their fuel pump replaced? Had mine replaced on Monday. Today my car stalled while driving and took multiple tries and 15min later for the car to start. Car now has multiple warning lights.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by starlord
anyone have any issues since they got their fuel pump replaced? Had mine replaced on Monday. Today my car stalled while driving and took multiple tries and 15min later for the car to start. Car now has multiple warning lights.
Damn that is not good. I have to take mine in on Tuesday to get mine replaced for the recall.. Thanks for the heads up on a issue I might have afterwards.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn that is not good. I have to take mine in on Tuesday to get mine replaced for the recall.. Thanks for the heads up on a issue I might have afterwards.
I've had several other Acura vehicles and have never had issues. Then I bought the 2019 rdx nothing but problems. Regret buying it and probably wont buy another acura again. Seems they can't even fix the simplest issues.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikeg040
I've had several other Acura vehicles and have never had issues. Then I bought the 2019 rdx nothing but problems. Regret buying it and probably wont buy another acura again. Seems they can't even fix the simplest issues.
I had a 1990 Legend L. Best car I have ever owned.

I have a 2019 ASpec also. Not very happy about it also. City GAS mileage really sucks. I don't drive like a madman either. There is a class action against Acura about this fuel pump you should register especially now since they were to fix it and messed it up worse.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I was one of the first ones my dealer did because I happened to go in for an oil change right when it got announced. I haven’t had any issues at all. Hope you get yours figured out!
Old 07-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Visit your dealership, they should figure out why from the error codes stored in the ECU.
The new pump feels a little smoother on my car, if that matters.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:37 PM
Drifting

No problems with the new pump here.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Instructor

No problems with the new pump here.
Are you in the City? I am getting like 14 to 15 in city driving. Really sucks.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Suburbs. Getting about 22 everyday driving,
Old 07-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Racer

I am now seeing fuel gauge not accurate issue.
I went in with a full tank of gas, when I got the car back, the gauge was at 3/4 tank. After filling up the tank (adding about 2 gallons), the gauge was at full mark.

Yesterday, the gauge was at about 1/4 tank, I filled up until the pump stopped automatically, about 11 gallons of gas, but noticed the gauge at 3/4 tank.
This morning, it showed full tank, so I may have a sticky float.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:40 AM
Drifting

I am now seeing fuel gauge not accurate issue.
I went in with a full tank of gas, when I got the car back, the gauge was at 3/4 tank. After filling up the tank (adding about 2 gallons), the gauge was at full mark.

Yesterday, the gauge was at about 1/4 tank, I filled up until the pump stopped automatically, about 11 gallons of gas, but noticed the gauge at 3/4 tank.
This morning, it showed full tank, so I may have a sticky float.

Sometimes a bottle or two of Techron can unstick a float. It seems odd to me, however, that the float would get sticky on such a new car. Maybe they messed something up?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Sometimes a bottle or two of Techron can unstick a float. It seems odd to me, however, that the float would get sticky on such a new car. Maybe they messed something up?
I am pretty sure that they messed something up. I would take the car back.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Racer

I am pretty sure that they messed something up. I would take the car back.
I like and trust the Tech, but hey things could happen. I am watching this closely and if it happens two more times, I will take her back to the dealer.
Just a heads up for others.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree, it’s just a pump, but if the pressure is low or too high the spray of the nozzles will be affected, thus fuel mileage may be somewhat different.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall: 2019 RDX Fuel Pump Motor