Re-designed Honda CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
What about the current RDX platform? It was the whole reason I never had any interest in the RDX until 2019. It was always just a CR-V with a bigger engine and a few more features.

Honda has never sold a CR-V in the US with a panoramic sunroof, but did in Canada, and just recently began selling them with front and rear parking sensors. It seems like they hold out a few features to try and keep Acura on a different level.
The engine is exactly why I bought the RDX over the CRV. I would give anything to get rid of the POS, rattley-ass, make-it-hot-AF-in-the-summer, bullshit panoramic sunroof. I really really fucking hate it. If I can help it, I'll never own another car with one again.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (12-01-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Previous Gen 5 CR-V owner, (times 2).

I bought a new 2018 CR-V Touring after looking at the Gen 2 '18 RDX. As others have mentioned, the RDX was a generation behind the CR-V and didn't offer some of what I was looking for. The CR-V was an excellent car, very reliable, good fuel economy, lots of space for people and things, but a bit more road noise than I would prefer.

When the Gen 3 RDX debuted, I was ready to upgrade, and based on my excellent experience with the '18 CR-V, I choose Honda Corp's "up level" brand, and bought a 2019 RDX Advance. There is no doubt that the RDX offers many things that the CR-V doesn't. Just to name a few, WAY better seats, WAY better audio system (ELS), way better acceleration, way better handling, Pano roof. (I know some don't like it, but others do, and I am one who does). During my many test drives of the RDX, I often had a hard time deciding if it was enough quieter than the CR-V to justify the higher price. I bought it anyway, as there wasn't any other "up level" crossover that could touch it for the price. CX-5 was just a bit small for our needs, and the only Mazda dealer here is the pits. I never really used the better handling of the RDX.

After a year or so with the RDX, my wife decided it was time to replace her 5 year old (very reliable but NON-Honda product), and landed on a 2020 CR-V Touring. It suited her just fine, and it was extremely reliable, and economical to drive.

Regarding the Gen 6 CR-V, It looks good, and will get excellent fuel economy (especially the improved Hybrid version). In my opinion, I think Honda is keeping the "extras" from the CR-V in hopes that people will upgrade to the RDX, BUT, there are several other crossovers in the segment with the CR-V that offer many things that the new and improved CR-V does not. HUD, Pano roof, ventilated seats, just to name a few from memory. I think as @JustMe... mentioned, the CR-V now has front and rear proximity sensors. If memory serves me, the Gen 5 CR-V Hybrid may have had them, but not the gas versions.

After my RDX was rear-ended by a drunk 17 year old in March of 2020, I decided I had enough of Acuras, and Hondas. Everyone has different tastes, and I chose to replace my RDX with a '21 Lincoln Corsair. Sadly that was totaled 7 months later on Black Friday, 2021. Wife and I sustained major injuries, but we are doing much better now. As I was recovering at home, and my wife was still in the hospital, I came across an "inbound" '22 Highlander Platinum Hybrid at MSRP, and put my name on it... but turns out, it wasn't a good fit for me. I decided to get another Corsair, so my wife decided to keep the Highlander for herself and trade in the CR-V. She is happy with the Highlander Hybrid, and I am very happy with Corsair. We have no plans to replace either anytime soon. Two major NOT-AT-FAULT accidents in two years is enough!

Last edited by JB in AZ; 11-28-2022 at 06:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
ELIN (11-28-2022), ESHBG (12-01-2022), JustMe... (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
After my RDX was rear-ended by a drunk 17 year old in March of 2020...
Correction, my RDX was rear-ended April of 2021, NOT March of 2020. Not that it matters in this discussion, just wanted to make it accurate.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
The engine is exactly why I bought the RDX over the CRV. ...
Is that the only reason?
Old 11-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
There is no doubt that the RDX offers many things that the CR-V doesn't. Just to name a few, WAY better seats, WAY better audio system (ELS), way better acceleration, way better handling.
Agreed! To me, those attributes separate the RDX from the CR-V by a wide margin. That is what you pay for in the "better" car. If those attributes are not important to a driver, buy a CR-V. Or if those attributes are very important, buy a BMW X3 M40 or Audi SQ5, provided they fit in the budget.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldeagle
Agreed! To me, those attributes separate the RDX from the CR-V by a wide margin. That is what you pay for in the "better" car. If those attributes are not important to a driver, buy a CR-V. Or if those attributes are very important, buy a BMW X3 M40 or Audi SQ5, provided they fit in the budget.
Considering that the '22 X3 M40i retails for less than $5k from the '22 RDX A-Spec/Advance (with a MUCH better 6 cyl. engine), I'd say Acura is pricing themselves completely out of the "value proposition".
If you look hard enough, folks getting the M40i are paying either the same or sometimes less than the RDX A-Spec/Advance (due to ADM)!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=401914943
ESHBG (12-01-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Considering that the '22 X3 M40i retails for less than $5k from the '22 RDX A-Spec/Advance (with a MUCH better 6 cyl. engine), I'd say Acura is pricing themselves completely out of the "value proposition".
If you look hard enough, folks getting the M40i are paying either the same or sometimes less than the RDX A-Spec/Advance (due to ADM)!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=401914943
The difference balloons up very quickly once you start adding options to make the X3 M40i equivalent in terms of interior / drivers assistance. I spec'd out an M40i modestly and came out to around $64K. We acquired our '22 A-spec ADV a year ago and paid no ADM but I do agree it is creeping up on a segment that it cannot compete with in the X3m & SQ5 space. Had it been priced any higher we would have looked at other options.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:01 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by jhstl
The difference balloons up very quickly once you start adding options to make the X3 M40i equivalent in terms of interior / drivers assistance. I spec'd out an M40i modestly and came out to around $64K. We acquired our '22 A-spec ADV a year ago and paid no ADM but I do agree it is creeping up on a segment that it cannot compete with in the X3m & SQ5 space. Had it been priced any higher we would have looked at other options.
It's all getting ugly. Was intrigued by the X3 'M', but once you add the appropriate options, the price is sky high. Same with GV70...easily tops 60K with ADM...new RX and so on...just all getting brutal. I think we paid 46K for our 2019 RDX A-Spec...seems like a bargain now. New CRV is looking better and better, although not a big fan of the 1.5
Old 11-29-2022, 07:31 PM
Drifting

Do you remember if you priced a '23 or '22 M40i? You can get some '22s that retail below $60k nicely equipped. There are some features that don't exist on an RDX, like automated incident recording, etc.

If you check Truecar for your area, you will probably find many folks paying below retail on a '22 X3 M40i compared to Acura.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Don't forget that if you lease, BMW offers substantially better lease deals than Acura (and just about everyone else). They're famous for significantly undercutting the competition on leases.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Don't forget that if you lease, BMW offers substantially better lease deals than Acura (and just about everyone else). They're famous for significantly undercutting the competition on leases.
I've eyeballed the current BMW lease deals and currently they're not great. Everyone's money factor has gone up due to inflation but BMW commands quite a bit for a downpayment (cap cost reduction).

Luckily, I've finally broken the lease cycle. If I do change the X3 out in a couple of years, at least I'll finally have equity!
Old 11-30-2022, 09:21 AM
Racer

From this discussion about the X3 -M40i, I think we agree there can be a minor overlap between two car segments. If the most expensive version of the “lower” car approaches the least expensive version of the “higher” car, the higher car may be cross shopped. For counter point, most SH-AWD RDXs cost between $46G and $48G and I doubt that many RDX owners cross shop a Porsche Macan or X3-M40i, even if they do have a great passion for driving. Likewise, most CR-Vs cost around $33G and are not cross shopped with $46G RDXs.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Drifting

From this discussion about the X3 -M40i, I think we agree there can be a minor overlap between two car segments. If the most expensive version of the “lower” car approaches the least expensive version of the “higher” car, the higher car may be cross shopped. For counter point, most SH-AWD RDXs cost between $46G and $48G and I doubt that many RDX owners cross shop a Porsche Macan or X3-M40i, even if they do have a great passion for driving. Likewise, most CR-Vs cost around $33G and are not cross shopped with $46G RDXs.
If you think the X3 M40i is the least expensive version of the X3 (the "higher" car), then you are mistaken. An apples to apples comparison is the X3 xDrive30i. I got my '23 xDrive 30i for about the same price as the RDX A-Spec/Advance. I could probably find someone who paid more than me for their Acura because of ADM (most BMW dealers are charging MSRP or lower right now). Acura has fully encroached into the established luxury market with their pricing and has priced quite a bit of customers looking for "value" out!
Old 11-30-2022, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
If you think the X3 M40i is the least expensive version of the X3 (the "higher" car), then you are mistaken. An apples to apples comparison is the X3 xDrive30i. I got my '23 xDrive 30i for about the same price as the RDX A-Spec/Advance. I could probably find someone who paid more than me for their Acura because of ADM (most BMW dealers are charging MSRP or lower right now). Acura has fully encroached into the established luxury market with their pricing and has priced quite a bit of customers looking for "value" out!
Well, in fairness, nobody was really discussing the X3 until you brought up the M40i. The thread is about the CR-V.

Regardless, with the used car market cooling, I suspect the days of ADM are numbered. Many owners of the RDX paid significantly less than MSRP when they originally purchased as well, before the car market went bonkers. If you are buying in this market right now, it's either out of necessity or ignorance.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Ohhh I can chime in here. I wanted an M40i, could afford one, but ended up with an RDX. People here seem to be claiming they are close to the same price ... I can only speak from my perspective up here in Canada but that's completely incorrect.

The base price of the M40i here in Canada is $72k, vs $59k for the fully loaded RDX Aspec Advance. That base car is missing the following:
  • Upgraded sound (HK)
  • HUD
  • Sunroof
  • Leather or Premium Leather seats (comes with "Sensatech" which feels very economy car), needs premium leather to get soft seats like the Advance
  • Heated seats (it's an option - OMG what year is it??)
  • Lumbar supports / Vented Seats / Adjustable side bolsters (no matter what, can't get more than 2/3 of these in an X3)
  • ACC / LKAS
  • Paint other than Black or White
  • Sport rear differential
The last one is an especially big problem if you like handling. The Acura SHAWD system and it's ability to shuffle torque side-to-side in the rear is why the RDX handles so well under throttle. SHAWD comes on every RDX in Canada (FWD is not available) and can be attained on any RDX in the US for a small upcharge. Getting the Sport diff on the M40i (which used to come with it standard!) is a whole other story.

You see, most of the people who lease BMWs (and I think most people in general) don't look past 0-60 times or fancy badges. The M40i is undeniable fast. But the vassst majority of cars on the lots, the ones you can get discounts on, the ones that the promotions apply to, do not have the differential. The only way to get it is to do a factory order, at which point the sales person starts to look at you like a waste of their time because now instead of getting a commission cheque when you pick up your car next week, they have to wait months while your car is eventually built and shipped.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned yet that to get the stuff listed above in an X3 M40i brings the price up here in Canada to ... $88k. That's basically a 50% premium over the equally well equipped albeit vastly slower RDX ASpec Elite/Advanced.

Between the money and the time and the dealer losing interest in me when I wanted to factory order, I got an RDX instead.

Last edited by Jordster; 11-30-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Ludepower (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Well, in fairness, nobody was really discussing the X3 until you brought up the M40i. The thread is about the CR-V.
I'm pretty sure Baldeagle was the one who brought up the M40i, not me (see below).

My point all along is that we are not comparing apples to apples by bringing up the M40i (a turbo 6 vs the turbo 4 in the xDrive30i). I try to stay on topic but will offer corrections when needed!
jhstl (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I don't belong in the "luxury car buyer" group. I can't stand these "useless (to me)" features that people load these cars up with. I hear it all the time, "*scoff* what's the point of getting a car if it's not fully loaded?" I'm the polar opposite. Aside from a few key features, I don't understand why people load their cars up with sh*t they rarely use (if ever after the initial delivery and showing people how cool their stupid new tech is).

I buy cars for the powertrain, interior comfort and exterior styling. Problem is, anything remotely powerful & practical these days are relegated to the luxury/premium brands. I would absolutely get a "poverty spec" BMW. I literally turn the infotainment screen off in my RDX and I would throw the goddamn panoramic sunroof off a cliff and weld in a "normal" roof if I had the technical know-how. The only option I wish I had gotten was remote start. F- me for not doing my research and assuming a premium brand would have that. Even my buddy's goddamn Explorer came standard with that feature.
ESHBG (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:43 AM
Racer

My point all along is that we are not comparing apples to apples by bringing up the M40i (a turbo 6 vs the turbo 4 in the xDrive30i). I try to stay on topic but will offer corrections when needed!
First, I don’t think we veered off topic. I like the points you made. Second, I agree that comparing the RDX to a Macan or X3 M40i is not an apples-to-apples comparison. But neither is comparing a CR-V to an RDX. Yet we do. So as consumers, what is our thought process? Isn't that question at the core of this discussion? How do we determine what we value and want to pay for in a car? On a smaller scale, what’s the better value? Paying $41,350 (plus destination) for a Base FWD RDX or paying $53,350 (plus destination) for an A-Spec Advance? Same thought process applies.
ELIN (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:52 AM
Drifting

First, I don’t think we veered off topic. I like the points you made. Second, I agree that comparing the RDX to a Macan or X3 M40i is not an apples-to-apples comparison. But neither is comparing a CR-V to an RDX. Yet we do. So as consumers, what is our thought process? Isn't that question at the core of this discussion? How do we determine what we value and want to pay for in a car? On a smaller scale, what’s the better value? Paying $41,350 (plus destination) for a Base FWD RDX or paying $53,350 (plus destination) for an A-Spec Advance? Same thought process applies.
I gotcha! I thought about getting the M40i for a NY minute but it was way too much power for me for a lot more money. When Acura introduced the RDX A-Spec/Advance (along with the newer price point), it definitely opened up a can of worms that SHOULD have more folks rethinking buying German as you can get the X3 xDrive30i for about the same price, similarly equipped.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Instructor

I guess I don't belong in the "luxury car buyer" group. I can't stand these "useless (to me)" features that people load these cars up with. I hear it all the time, "*scoff* what's the point of getting a car if it's not fully loaded?" I'm the polar opposite. Aside from a few key features, I don't understand why people load their cars up with sh*t they rarely use (if ever after the initial delivery and showing people how cool their stupid new tech is).

I buy cars for the powertrain, interior comfort and exterior styling. Problem is, anything remotely powerful & practical these days are relegated to the luxury/premium brands. I would absolutely get a "poverty spec" BMW. I literally turn the infotainment screen off in my RDX and I would throw the goddamn panoramic sunroof off a cliff and weld in a "normal" roof if I had the technical know-how. The only option I wish I had gotten was remote start. F- me for not doing my research and assuming a premium brand would have that. Even my buddy's goddamn Explorer came standard with that feature.
I love my loaded RDX. I can't see choosing anything less if money isn't tight. I use the features every day... Almost all of them. You remind me of the sort of person who calls them "bells and whistles," which implies that they are superfluous. Ok... Here's my take on the Advance stuff:

HUD - great! My eyes spend more time on the road. It reduces fatigue on long trips.
16-speaker system - fantastic, use (abuse?) every day. Makes my commute
16-way seats - great for my back. Great for my wife's back. Automatically switches fore and ... back.
Adaptive Dampers - flat onramp shenanigans! High speed passing without lean! Sofffft comfort mode

I'm not sure what else the Advance pack came with, but these were enough to sell me on it.

What features do you think people get just to show off and never use?

I do agree with you about the pano roof... I've had two cars with pano roofs now and both have been completely replaced. The other one was a BMW. In both cases I would join you at the top of the cliff for the throwing.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jordster

I do agree with you about the pano roof... I've had two cars with pano roofs now and both have been completely replaced. The other one was a BMW. In both cases I would join you at the top of the cliff for the throwing.
I go back and forth about the pano roof, I certainly don't hate it. I will have it open on short drives at times. My wife, however, ALWAYS has it open, even on 100+F degree days. (unless it is raining of course, which it rarely does here in AZ!) So I can't buy a car without one, as my car often becomes my wife's car when I am ready to buy another.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Sounds like you should be looking at Porsches. Pretty much every feature is an a la carte add-on so you can pick exactly what you want and nothing more. The base cars are very much stripped down but still has performance/luxury bones.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 AM
Drifting

I love my loaded RDX. I can't see choosing anything less if money isn't tight. I use the features every day... Almost all of them. You remind me of the sort of person who calls them "bells and whistles," which implies that they are superfluous. Ok... Here's my take on the Advance stuff:

HUD - great! My eyes spend more time on the road. It reduces fatigue on long trips.
16-way seats - great for my back. Great for my wife's back. Automatically switches fore and ... back.
Adaptive Dampers - flat onramp shenanigans! High speed passing without lean! Sofffft comfort mode

I'm not sure what else the Advance pack came with, but these were enough to sell me on it.

I think the Advance also has auto windshield wipers and electronic folding mirrors not available on the A-Spec (grrrrr).
Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
To me, the richness, comfort and refinement of an Acura’s interior far exceeds any premium Honda. I also think the suspensions are tuned better. However, as each generation of Honda, Mazda, Toyota, VW, Hyundai, etc. evolves, the gap between them and a luxury car gets smaller, particularly with respect to tech, safety features, and refinement. Its getting harder for luxury cars to justify their price on substance alone. To that end, will Acura forcefully maintain a gap with Honda? Is it true Honda will no longer offer the 2.0T in their Accord? Were Accord sales cannibalizing TLX sales? Did that gap get too close?
The Accord losing the 2.0T probably has more to do with CAFE than anything else. They weren't selling them in a huge numbers (something like 10-15% I think), whereas they're targeting 50% of the sales to be the new hybrid powertrain.

Honda absolutely needs to get more of these hybrids onto the road to show the buying public that they are relevant in the new electrified marketplace. As it currently stands, nobody thinks about Honda when it comes to electrification. Their hybrids have sold poorly (deservedly so) and they're completely absent from the EV game in North America aside from a couple low-range compliance cars. Toyota is in the same boat in the latter case, but their success with hybrids lends to them a sense of credibility that they know how to make EVs (whether that perception is true or not is immaterial). Honda unfortunately doesn't have that same luxury (yet).
Honda made a smart move by saying we are going to have solid hybrid options with great MPG, it's a nice first step on the way to EV and makes a ton of sense to me and I wish the US was going this route vs the half baked ideas I have been seeing.

Unfortunately, the niche appeal of SH-AWD is not enough for a company to survive. Honda's treatment of the "red-headed stepchild" will be a self-fulfilling prophecy!
The issue for me and many others in urban areas is SH-AWD is nice to have but in reality when am I going to see the benefits of it? I have a red light or stop sign every few feet and always in traffic. It's great to have in inclement weather but with my work situation now I don't need to travel in that much anymore. Then add in the MPG hit and more maintenance, and it does make me think twice. In this area it's why I give a nod to Audi, as most of their AWD vehicles still give you decent MPG.
ELIN (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
The CR-V isn't my thing, but I can certainly see the appeal. I find it interesting that Honda is launching a plug-in hydrogen fuel-cell CR-V in 2024. I thought the PMC might be used for an Integra Type S, but instead they'll be building the fuel-cell CR-V there. (I suppose more than one model is a possibility.) It does make sense from a volume perspective since the hydrogen CR-V will be produced in limited numbers primarily for the California market. Hydrogen is clean, but fuel-cells are still expensive and it makes our EV infrastructure challenges look trivial by comparison.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The issue for me and many others in urban areas is SH-AWD is nice to have but in reality when am I going to see the benefits of it? I have a red light or stop sign every few feet and always in traffic. It's great to have in inclement weather but with my work situation now I don't need to travel in that much anymore.
SHAWD is an active system. I enjoy its benefits daily, year round. Combined with good tires, it's there literally every time you turn at low speed with moderate throttle input. You can feel input into your steering from the throttle, a much more mild version of how you can steer an RWD car mid-corner with throttle inputs. It's certainly niche appeal (most drivers just prefer to turn ... slowly).

Being always active means it's great in snow compared to the slip-n-grip systems found in many of the competitors, but inclement weather is certainly not the only application.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jordster:
clevernamehere (12-01-2022), jhstl (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Instructor

I gotcha! I thought about getting the M40i for a NY minute but it was way too much power for me for a lot more money. When Acura introduced the RDX A-Spec/Advance (along with the newer price point), it definitely opened up a can of worms that SHOULD have more folks rethinking buying German as you can get the X3 xDrive30i for about the same price, similarly equipped.
I missed this comment yesterday.

Again, from up here in Canada, the X3 30i mSport with Premium Enhanced pack, leather and blue paint is $75k vs $59k for the RDX Aspec Elite/Advanced. Oh, and at present, the X3 30i is not available with ACC/LKAS or any other active safety tech, probably due to supply chain issues. If it was, it would bring the price up to C$78k, almost $20k more than the RDX. Oh, and the rear sport diff is no longer available on the 30i like it was back in 2020 when I last car shopped... So it's going to use mediocre brake based torque vectoring, which is a serious downgrade from the RDX's SHAWD.

And you'll never find one. Every A-Spec Elite is loaded. Most X3 28i on the lots are strippers for badge seeking lease-price-is-my-only-priority shoppers that are so prevalent in the BMW world.

Last edited by Jordster; 12-01-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Let's get this right!

I missed this comment yesterday.

Again, from up here in Canada, the X3 30i mSport with Premium Enhanced pack, leather and blue paint is $75k vs $59k for the RDX Aspec Elite/Advanced. Oh, and at present, the X3 30i is not available with ACC/LKAS or any other active safety tech, probably due to supply chain issues. If it was, it would bring the price up to C$78k, almost $20k more than the RDX. Oh, and the rear sport diff is no longer available on the 30i like it was back in 2020 when I last car shopped... So it's going to use mediocre brake based torque vectoring, which is a serious downgrade from the RDX's SHAWD.

And you'll never find one. Every A-Spec Elite is loaded. Most X3 28i on the lots are strippers for badge seeking lease-price-is-my-only-priority shoppers that are so prevalent in the BMW world.
I think you need to dial back your statement on the ACC/LKAS adder and "no active safety tech". While it is true the Driving Assistance Professional Package is only available on the M40i, it's not $20k more but something like $1700 (about $2283 CAD). See attached price guide.

ACC - had it on my '18 MDX and '21 TLX. The braking was too abrupt for it to be truly useful. Judging by the complaints from current TLX/MDX owners, you should probably really worry about the brakes and if you need to pursue the TSBs out for them.
LKAS - it was nice to have near driving autonomy while grabbing a quick bite or sipping hot coffee but useful only for a couple of seconds. I don't take a lot of long trips or many trips at night so not a deal breaker for me.

What I do have on my xDrive30i is:

Frontal Collision Warning/Mitigation
Lane Departure Warning - a slight step below LKAS where the car steers you back away from the lines
Blind Spot Monitoring

Let's not make BMW sound like savages, kay?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMW Price guide pg 4 of 9.pdf (600.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:10 AM
Instructor

That's all passive safety tech. That's not active safety tech. The fact that it's not available on anything less than an M40i (despite being standard on, for example, a $20k base Corolla) is ridiculous. I would not buy a 30i at all given this shortcoming. I've only had ACC for 4 and a half years so far but every highway trip I take reminds me of how much fatigue the system mitigates.

I have no problem with abrupt braking on my '18 Accord nor my '20 RDX. I've learned the system and know exactly how it will react. It made two mistakes on a 5000km trip last summer, mostly trying to follow cars that veered onto offramps late, and I saw it coming both times. It's far from perfect but I'm not sure why so many people dismiss it as unusable.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:24 AM
Drifting

That's all passive safety tech. That's not active safety tech. The fact that it's not available on anything less than an M40i (despite being standard on, for example, a $20k base Corolla) is ridiculous. I would not buy a 30i at all given this shortcoming. I've only had ACC for 4 and a half years so far but every highway trip I take reminds me of how much fatigue the system mitigates.

I have no problem with abrupt braking on my '18 Accord nor my '20 RDX. I've learned the system and know exactly how it will react. It made two mistakes on a 5000km trip last summer, mostly trying to follow cars that veered onto offramps late, and I saw it coming both times. It's far from perfect but I'm not sure why so many people dismiss it as unusable.
I don’t know what your trips involve but I believe most people who want to check the “ACC box” deal with stop and go traffic quite a bit. The trouble with the Acura version is that it is slow to start the car and braking isn’t as gradual as the car in front of you (this may possibly be true of all makes’ ACC!). The only way to make it better probably involves importing human psychology into the mix via machine learning or some AI algorithm.

I’d take a poll to see how many folks who’ve had ACC think it’s a deal breaker if the next car doesn’t have it.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Drifting

I’d take a poll to see how many folks who’ve had ACC think it’s a deal breaker if the next car doesn’t have it.
It is a requirement for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
ELIN (12-01-2022), Ludepower (12-03-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

I don’t know what your trips involve but I believe most people who want to check the “ACC box” deal with stop and go traffic quite a bit. The trouble with the Acura version is that it is slow to start the car and braking isn’t as gradual as the car in front of you (this may possibly be true of all makes’ ACC!). The only way to make it better probably involves importing human psychology into the mix via machine learning or some AI algorithm.

I've had it in my last few cars and I don't particularly care for it. The only time I ever use it is driving between SF and LA. Otherwise it's just not practical; even with the closest follow distance, there's enough space where someone will cut in, and then the car immediately slows down again to increase a gap. Rinse and repeat.
ELIN (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
It is a requirement for me.
+1 here. I don't want fully autonomous driving, but having these aids really reduces fatigue on long trip, and makes crawling in traffic less annoying.

The implementation on RDX is far from smooth, but the one on MDX-S is quite good on hwy, and passable in low speed, traffic-jam-assist mode. I was hoping MMC RDX would get that but the pre-MMC ADAS computer was carried over instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
ELIN (12-01-2022), Jordster (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Getting back on topic, does the CRV currently have ACC or LKAS and how is it compared to Acura?
Old 12-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Is that the only reason?
If this current CR-V had a 2.0T, I'd likely be dumping the RDX for it.

Honestly, Acura isn't one of the biggest offenders of what I was referring to. If the A-Spec Advance was available when we purchased ours, I may have splurged for it. That being said:
  • HUD - I've driven cars with it, and it's ok. I never really found it to vastly change the driving experience.
  • ELS is lost on me. In fact, any upgraded audio systems would be. I'd be sufficiently content with a 2-speaker system that plays my podcasts.
  • The seats on the Advance may be worth it. The "regular" seats on the RDX are fine, but on long trips are pretty terrible from my experience.
  • Adaptive dampers would also be nice. It would also be nice if Acura tuned the suspension on the non-AD models to be softer.
The acoustic glass may be nice, but would probably just make the rattles more prominent. Oh, and that HUD has been another spot for potential rattles from what I've seen.

LKAS and ACC ... another thing I can take or leave. Cool at first, but the ping-ponging gets old fast. ACC is ok, but drives like a new driver who doesn't know how to coast and is either going for the gas or stabbing the brakes, making the driving experience far more uncomfortable than just doing it myself. Tech can only do so much. Also, the ACC is made mostly useless from my experience thanks to other drivers being numbnuts. Just on my last trip to Atlantic City, there was one jackwang in a Corolla that would speed up as I tried to pass, I'd tuck in behind him, he'd slow down, move over, same thing, overtake going a speed over what I'd set (75) and get in front of him and I'd see him 2mins later passing me and get in front of me to just pull the same BS. It wasn't intentional, it's simply that many people absolutely suck at maintaining their speed. I'm perfectly fine using "regular" cruise control.

Auto Stop/Start and CMBS are turned off the moment I start the car.

Heated steering wheel? Nope.

Ventilated seats are next to useless and I wouldn't option them on a car if I need to pay extra.

Heck, even the 360 cameras. I'm fine with just the standard rear view camera. People have become so reliant on tech. I witness it all the time in parking lots. People glued to their screens and inching out of spots for an eternity when they have plenty of room.

But again, Acura isn't the worst in this. Cadillac and Mercedes? Wooooh, buddy. "Oh, you want remote start? Well, too bad it's packaged with these $10k in upgrades otherwise you can't get it." "Oh, you want black trim? Well, that's part of a Sport Appearance package that comes with wheels and other do-hickey's that are part of a $15k package."

I've built an M3 xDrive Comp exactly how I'd have it for $83k. I think the cheapest one I've seen being delivered at local dealers has been $96k. I watched a walkaround video of a dealer showing off one that was being delivered in the color I'd want (Brooklyn Grey) and they said how it was "lightly" optioned mainly because he didn't go for the sport bucket seats and carbon trim and it was $93k.

Different strokes I suppose. Or I'm just a cheap SOB.

Sounds like you should be looking at Porsches. Pretty much every feature is an a la carte add-on so you can pick exactly what you want and nothing more. The base cars are very much stripped down but still has performance/luxury bones.
I wish. I just built a Macan S exactly how I'd have it and it came to $74k. The only options I went for were the 21" Jet Black Metallic wheels ($3.8k), black window trim ($240) and deletion of model designation ($0). I'm pretty sure if I brought that build to my local Porsche dealer, they'd laugh me off the showroom floor.

As time ticks by, I'm leaning more towards cars that prioritize comfort with a bit of performance infused in them. I'll see how the RX500 fares. I'm surprised at its $63k starting price. Built to my spec, it'd be $65.2k ... cheaper than even the base MDX-S. And that's adding the 360 camera to add to the resale value down the line. Though, I prefer to keep my cars for longer (10+ years).

And to throw a curveball into things, I really love the new Tundra TRD Pro. The looks, the ride comfort that rivals luxury cars, the biggness (I love the way big trucks drive). Plus, having a micropenis, it would suit me perfectly. It's a shame that the damn things come standard with a pano sunroof.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Getting back on topic, does the CRV currently have ACC or LKAS and how is it compared to Acura?
If Honda's website is correct, all trims come standard with ACC, LKAS and CMBS. I'd assume it works identically to Acura, if not a little better as I'm sure they've tweak it over time (with Acura getting the same improvements with newer models).
ELIN (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 08:11 PM
Drifting

If Honda's website is correct, all trims come standard with ACC, LKAS and CMBS. I'd assume it works identically to Acura, if not a little better as I'm sure they've tweak it over time (with Acura getting the same improvements with newer models).
The Gen 5 2020 CR-V we had did a better job with lane keeping and ACC than my '19 RDX did.
Something I read from Honda said the Gen 6 CR-V has a wider view from its front sensors. Not sure how that changes the behavior
Old 12-02-2022, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
But again, Acura isn't the worst in this. Cadillac and Mercedes? Wooooh, buddy. "Oh, you want remote start? Well, too bad it's packaged with these $10k in upgrades otherwise you can't get it." "Oh, you want black trim? Well, that's part of a Sport Appearance package that comes with wheels and other do-hickey's that are part of a $15k package."
I know you're exaggerating for effect, but there are probably some reading this that actually believe those numbers. Mercedes remote start is standard via the MercedesMe Connect app. (I believe Cadillac's is similar.) There's no initial cost to start your car [and to do lots of other stuff] remotely from your phone. Mercedes charges $199 a year if owners wish to continue with the MercedesMe Connect services once the courtesy period ends. Blackout wheels, trim and grille was $300 on our GLC on top of the $1,900 AMG Sport package. It's a $600 upgrade on the GLE, although again the AMG body package is required. But one doesn't have to buy a specific engine or trim level to get them.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
CRV too anemic. X3 with all the bells and whistles is too expensive. All roads lead back to the RDX. It's found its sweet spot being the best of both worlds and why we all bought it.

if you got a laundry list of issues with this car then I would sell it and move on while the market is hot.

I'm fortunate enough (knock on wood) that my future self can afford/risk reliability buying the BMW. Acura is just a stepping stone to get there.
Jordster (12-05-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
The only people I see driving a CRV are old people as well as some younger that mostly drive s l o w e r…..regardless of the speed limit.
Sadly, we have become old people now too, later 70s. Tough to admit for this former “boy racer”. Our RDX is super-nice but it has *too many* bells-and-whistles, too many features. Like seat bolsters and extenders, the push button shifters, the where-is-it parking brake (oh yeah, down there), etc. We won’t discuss the touch pad. I lent it to a b.I.l. for the day and after all the training, he was happy to give it back.

The new CR-V seems to be a lot less complicated, very important for my wife.

So yes, talking about the CR-V in this Acura forum is very important.

In 3 years we have put 23K miles on it so the RDX will be here for a while, but if it isn’t for some reason, the CR-V may be the right move.

Last edited by CanTex; 12-03-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Re-designed Honda CR-V