RDX windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
RDX windshield

I just got my windshield broken this morning by a rock? Has anyone here got an Advance windshield replaced at the dealer? I was told at the dealer when I bought the car, should I need it replaced I should make sure I use Acura to replace because it has a special layer for sound deadening on the Advance.
what did it cost as well? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
SpaceBot (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:19 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Glass is covered by the comprehensive portion of your insurance (unless you in one of those states that has separate glass coverage and your deductible applies.

While no dealer actually does their own glass, I think it makes sense to go through the dealer because there can be no finger pointing by the dealer/glass shop when things go wrong.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Make sure you specify OEM glass. Your insurance company will look to process your claim under the glass coverage portion of your policy and use non-Acura glass to save money. Insist on Acura glass. This may require a non-glass auto insurance claim to ensure that you get the real thing.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard you should always go back to the dealer to replace the windshield as calibration is needed for all those safety system using the camera behind the windshield.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:35 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by SummerRain
I have heard you should always go back to the dealer to replace the windshield as calibration is needed for all those safety system using the camera behind the windshield.
Definitely this, and the RDX does use acoustic glass for the windshield (and front sides in Advance). Get OEM glass and dealer calibration as mentioned.
Royki5cp (06-12-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
You do not necessarily have to have the dealer recalibrate the camera systems. I had my windshield replaced at Safelite and they did the recalibration. Everything was done to Acura’s specs. I specifically asked if they had the equipment to do it and they showed me. I haven’t had any issues since then and everything works just like it did before. Yes Geico automatically gave me OEM glass even though non OEM glass was available.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
I've had two replaced in the last 12 months. First one replaced by the local Honda dealer (using a subcontractor), Honda re-calibrated the safety systems, the insurance company said they didn't think the local independents had the calibration equipment at that time (year ago). The LKAS worked noticeably better after the calibration, but the windshield gasket was totally butchered (installed inside out, I think).
Second was last fall, replaced at the nearest Acura dealer (450 mile drive), again using their subcontractor. They agreed the first windshield was installed incorrectly, but said they checked the calibration after installation and it was spot on, so no charge for re-calibration. Look at the gasket around the windshield when they're done, especially at the top. The rubber should smoothly fill the gap with no gaps or sharp edges showing.
I think the "acoustic" windshields are more fragile due to the thinner outer layer of glass and thicker membrane between the sheets, but you can read all kinds of theories if you surf the net long enough. The insurance company agreed to the dealer installation and OEM glass, but said that the big independents (most) can do the calibration as well. Because the glass is special and the market is small, there may not be non-OEM glass available yet.
SpaceBot (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:09 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
My 2020 Advanced has a cracked/chipped windshield too. Less than 6 months of ownership. It must be pretty fragile. I had it filled, but it didn't fill all the way so I have a web of cracks at eye level, driver side. I've out a suction cup phone mount over it. Out of sight out of mind I guess. Frustrating through. Makes my RDX feel super fragile, but in all the marketing ...they are offroading with it in snow and gravel....

Upon closer inspection of my windshield, I have several micro chunks taken out and that one rock chip. Wish this was't so... I guess one day I can replace the entire windshield if it gets worse.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:18 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
There was another thread about cracked glass. Hard to say if it's statistically representative, but it does seem like there are quite a few here that have had problems, and that most have been Advance models.
Ludepower (07-09-2021)
Old 06-12-2020, 08:11 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Waetherman
There was another thread about cracked glass. Hard to say if it's statistically representative, but it does seem like there are quite a few here that have had problems, and that most have been Advance models.
Which would be difficult to understand. Acoustic windshield glass is standard on all models -- unless the Advance trim uses a different spec glass. That would surprise me.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:19 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Oh, I think you're right. I had remembered that the acoustic glass was only on Advance, but that's just the side glass. So maybe it's not happening more to Advance models.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:04 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Oh, I think you're right. I had remembered that the acoustic glass was only on Advance, but that's just the side glass. So maybe it's not happening more to Advance models.
As you said, it's difficult to use forum comments as statistically meaningful metrics. People don't complain with statistically meaningful consistency. I alone can complain enough for several people.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I am/have been an active member on several auto enthusiast forums over many years. This is s very common subject, owners mentioning that their new car must be fragile because the windshield chips/cracks, spiders, etc very easily. It is a common issue among all brands of vehicles. Not Acura or RDX specific.

I have also had several new windshields over the last few years, on vehicles with all the same safety features. My insurance has always honored my simple request, use OEM glass without issue, and Safelite has done them all, and calibrated successfully.
No replacement on the RDX yet! Hope this didn't jinx it! LOL
Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I too just have replacement windshield, I always insisted on original Acura glass, two weeks a go dealer replaced my windshield, after only 5 days I noticed there’s 4 or 5 tiny vertical scratches, even noticeable when facing bright sun, so I complained and they decided to replaced it, my point is please make sure you clean and inspect the windshield they installed free of defect...for me is $500 deductible, so I make sure I am getting perfect installation and defects free ..
Old 06-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
All the RDX models have acoustic glass in the windshield, the Advance (only) has acoustic glass in the front side windows as well.
On both my cases, I had a crack sealant repair attempted, neither time with any success. The tech said the acoustic glass is notoriously hard to repair, and had little confidence that his attempt would be successful. He said he could tell as he drilled into the glass that the outer layer was quite thin.
My best advice - dodge the rocks as best you can, and pay the deductible if you're not always successful in dodging.
Royki5cp (06-13-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 07:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You might ask your insurance agent about 'glass deductible waiver' coverage. It changes your comp deductible to $0 for glass replacement. My previous insurance company offered it, and it was only a few dollars a year. My current company does not offer it.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverRDX2017
You might ask your insurance agent about 'glass deductible waiver' coverage. It changes your comp deductible to $0 for glass replacement. My previous insurance company offered it, and it was only a few dollars a year. My current company does not offer it.
Good advice! It depends on what state one lives in. For me, in Arizona, the state mandates that all auto insurance companies offer $0 deductible on glass. Not all policies have it, however. If an insurance buyer is looking for the absolute cheapest insurance, it may not be on their policy, also if an agent is trying to get the lowest policy cost for a client. It is very inexpensive, and has saved my family thousands of dollars in windshield replacement costs.

ALL drivers should contact their insurance agents to find out if they currently have this coverage, and if not, add it immediately.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
Royki5cp (06-15-2020), Yotrek (06-15-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I have State Farm and have always had 100% coverage on the glass. That could be due to where I live (Ohio and Kentucky) or that I have always kept that sort of coverage on my cars and just don't give it a thought any more. Either way I would NOT be without glass coverage with the cost of windshields being so high and the fact that they can, and often do, get broken by rocks. I have had more than one windshield replaced over the years and suspect many here have also. With the Advance having the HUD as well as the safety gear (camera) I could see a big bill for replacing that piece of glass!
Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Pretty sure it's up to the state. $0 deductible on glass is mandated in MN, but AFAIK it's unavailable in WI. Deductible is the same as for other comprehensive losses in WI.

Advance does appear to have different OEM glass from all other trims, but I'm not sure why. AFAIK HUD just projects onto the windshield from the top of the dash. You can adjust where the image appears. And I think all trims have the full safety suite. Maybe the surround view camera system needs an additional "port" in the cosmetic mask at the top of the windshield?
Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Wander
Advance does appear to have different OEM glass from all other trims, but I'm not sure why. AFAIK HUD just projects onto the windshield from the top of the dash. You can adjust where the image appears. And I think all trims have the full safety suite. Maybe the surround view camera system needs an additional "port" in the cosmetic mask at the top of the windshield?
The Advance specific windshield is more likely required for the rain sensing wipers. You know, for those of us who would otherwise drive in the rain without knowing about the windshield cleaner thingies.

Not sure if the HUD also requires a reflective coating or not.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:14 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The main difference in Advance windshield is the Acoustic barrier for a quieter experience inside the car. Safelite auto glass came and repaired my rock chip yesterday. I questioned him if the had the OEM glass for this car and he said yes. He said some of the special alignment could be done at my house, but I would need to bring the car to their shop for complete alignment of the sensors and cameras.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Royki5cp
The main difference in Advance windshield is the Acoustic barrier for a quieter experience inside the car. Safelite auto glass came and repaired my rock chip yesterday. I questioned him if the had the OEM glass for this car and he said yes. He said some of the special alignment could be done at my house, but I would need to bring the car to their shop for complete alignment of the sensors and cameras.
Nope. All 3rd-gen RDX trims have acoustic windshield. Advance adds acoustic side glass in the front doors.

But the dark cosmetic mask at the top of the windshield needs to have clear sections or "ports" for the various cameras or sensors ( rain sensing? ) to have a clear view. In prior Honda/Acura vehicles I have owned, those have been different for different trims.

Last edited by Wander; 06-24-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Royki5cp (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Nope. All 3rd-gen RDX trims have acoustic windshield. Advance adds acoustic side glass in the front doors.

But the dark cosmetic mask at the top of the windshield needs to have clear sections or "ports" for the various cameras or sensors ( rain sensing? ) to have a clear view. In prior Honda/Acura vehicles I have owned, those have been different for different trims.
The rainfall sensor for the rain-sensing wipers is definitely in the array behind the mirror. Whether or not the Advance package uses a different windshield because of it is unclear. But, guessing about function and design is a big part of what happens in here.

Royki5cp (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Well, IIRC the Advance is the only trim with rain sensing wipers ( which is mind-blowing, actually ) so I'm comfortable with the theory that its sensor may be responsible for the difference in windshield.

Advance is also the only trim with the surround view camera system, but from parts listings and direct inspection ( is that a rules violation? ) it looks like the front surround camera is hidden at the base of the massive grill emblem.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Well, IIRC the Advance is the only trim with rain sensing wipers ( which is mind-blowing, actually ) so I'm comfortable with the theory that its sensor may be responsible for the difference in windshield.

Advance is also the only trim with the surround view camera system, but from parts listings and direct inspection ( is that a rules violation? ) it looks like the front surround camera is hidden at the base of the massive grill emblem.
Yep, the Surround View display seems to use the front grill camera, the rear camera, and one camera under each side mirror. Unlike the haphazard rain-sensing wipers, I find the Surround View useful and use it regularly.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:42 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

HUD is also a reason that a vehicle might have a different windshield. It has an internal “reflective property” for the HUD to show better.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
Yep, the Surround View display seems to use the front grill camera, the rear camera, and one camera under each side mirror. Unlike the haphazard rain-sensing wipers, I find the Surround View useful and use it regularly.
I find the rain sensing wipers work quite well. We don't get much rain here, and the wipers don't come on.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I find the rain sensing wipers work quite well. We don't get much rain here, and the wipers don't come on.
LOL. There's a saying about Wisconsin weather: if you don't like it, wait a few minutes.

OTOH, not very long ago rain-sensing wipers were considered one of the most problematic features on a car. Infotainment systems have left them in the dust, so to speak.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:39 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am/have been an active member on several auto enthusiast forums over many years. This is s very common subject, owners mentioning that their new car must be fragile because the windshield chips/cracks, spiders, etc very easily. It is a common issue among all brands of vehicles. Not Acura or RDX specific.

I have also had several new windshields over the last few years, on vehicles with all the same safety features. My insurance has always honored my simple request, use OEM glass without issue, and Safelite has done them all, and calibrated successfully.
No replacement on the RDX yet! Hope this didn't jinx it! LOL
Just be careful, because many glass companies actually manufacture (or purchase glass from their own private suppliers who manufacture) OEM-style windshields. I can't really say if the quality is any better or worse, because as others have said, OEM glass windshields (not Acura-specific...I mean across the board) are getting thinner and thinner for weight savings reasons, and are easier and easier to damage.

I had a Nissan Maxima that the OEM windshield cracked on after almost a decade. Had Safelite replace it with their own glass, and it got chipped ON THE WAY HOME lol. What are you gonna do?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Just be careful, because many glass companies actually manufacture (or purchase glass from their own private suppliers who manufacture) OEM-style windshields. I can't really say if the quality is any better or worse, because as others have said, OEM glass windshields (not Acura-specific...I mean across the board) are getting thinner and thinner for weight savings reasons, and are easier and easier to damage.

I had a Nissan Maxima that the OEM windshield cracked on after almost a decade. Had Safelite replace it with their own glass, and it got chipped ON THE WAY HOME lol. What are you gonna do?
Right! Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have always used OEM (Honda, Toyota etc) windshields anytime I have had one replaced. My insurance company has always agreed without hesitation when I asked then to do so.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:10 PM
9th Gear

Right! Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have always used OEM (Honda, Toyota etc) windshields anytime I have had one replaced. My insurance company has always agreed without hesitation when I asked then to do so.
And I typically had the same experience. I've barely every placed a claim with my insurance company (State Farm), whom I've been with for 20+ years. Then I had a windshield replaced like 2 years ago, and was told explicitly that if I file another windshield claim within the next 2 years, they will drop me. Period. And that was an official state policy, not specific to my own policy/history. I guess that's what you get from insurance companies...
Old 07-01-2020, 06:19 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

... I've barely every placed a claim with my insurance company (State Farm), whom I've been with for 20+ years. ​​​​​​Then I had a windshield replaced like 2 years ago, and was told explicitly that if I file another windshield claim within the next 2 years, they will drop me. Period....
I would have started looking for a new insurance company that day.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJA123
I would have started looking for a new insurance company that day.
Yep. I've been with Geico for 3 years, and I have had, unfortunately, four windshield replacements paid for by the insurance company during that time, and the first was less than 30 days after I started with them. Fortunately, none yet with the RDX! NEVER a hint of cancellation, and my rates have gone down with the most recent renewal. Maybe it has to do with the state one lives in, as insurance laws do vary quite a bit by state.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:17 AM
Drifting

Yep. I've been with Geico for 3 years, and I have had, unfortunately, four windshield replacements paid for by the insurance company during that time, and the first was less than 30 days after I started with them. Fortunately, none yet with the RDX! NEVER a hint of cancellation, and my rates have gone down with the most recent renewal. Maybe it has to do with the state one lives in, as insurance laws do vary quite a bit by state.
Are you suggesting that some insurance companies will do any damn thing they can get away with?
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Are you suggesting that some insurance companies will do any damn thing they can get away with?
Would I suggest something like that?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
In NY, you can have your windshield replaced just on request once per year, whether it needs it or not. I know people who do it just because they can. I assume SafeLite donates heavily to the state legislature.

To me,, it's not even worth the inconvenience or risk of leaks and such but some people can't pass up anything if it's free. I wonder what happens if your windshield breaks a week after you have it replaced. And, then again a week after that.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
And I typically had the same experience. I've barely every placed a claim with my insurance company (State Farm), whom I've been with for 20+ years. Then I had a windshield replaced like 2 years ago, and was told explicitly that if I file another windshield claim within the next 2 years, they will drop me. Period. And that was an official state policy, not specific to my own policy/history. I guess that's what you get from insurance companies...
We had to have our windshield replaced hardly a month after we got our new RDX and our State Farm agent never told us anything like that. Maybe their policy has changed or there were other issues involved?
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 AM
9th Gear

I'm just sharing what was told to me very clearly over the phone. I've been with the same agent/office for 6 years, with multiple policies. And I stick with State Farm cuz, although they aren't the cheapest, they cover very well (ie will pay out, and for new parts) in the event you need it. Ie, quality repairs. It may be a FL thing, or the insurance company trying to limit it's liabilities (imagine that) during rough economic times. I dunno...
Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
It could well be a FL thing I guess. Here in CA its homeowners policies that are not being written or renewed for many locations because of the wildfire's we've had over the last several years. It's not just State Farm of course but pretty much industry wide.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by GW208
It could well be a FL thing I guess. Here in CA its homeowners policies that are not being written or renewed for many locations because of the wildfire's we've had over the last several years. It's not just State Farm of course but pretty much industry wide.
You're telling me they've banked ALL THAT CASH for 98 years now, and when its time to do what your entire business claims its there to do (pay up), they want out? Such a scam... I don't even understand how that's legal...

Quick Reply: RDX windshield