RDX used values...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
RDX used values...

Not surprised by the used values of any vehicles these days. We are well beyond the crazy supply constraint times that only last for 9 months or so. Now we have long term supply constraints of qualified buyers, high repo #'s, higher interest rates and dealers with full lots of new and used vehicles. EV's have got hit the hardest in depreciation, and so have all the people and dealers who "marked up" the prices - that boomerang is hitting hard.

Caravana is doing their best to not be the next Vroom - but their values are rock bottom and IMO below fair market values by a chunk of $$$$. I got a good laugh when they sent me this "value" update this morning. KBB value is more like what you can haggle at a dealer for a trade-in.

Good note - if you are looking for a great 2-3 year old RDX loaded, they can be had for a great price/value. Me, keeping my RDX - it's a rock solid sporty SUV - and at 22k miles has years of great motoring ahead of it.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 02-07-2024 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bowhun2r (02-26-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
I sold my 2019 Tech AWD with ~46k miles for $31000 last year in March. That was the price offered by CarMax. I think used car prices have come down a bit since then.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
I have found KBB to be quite a bit higher than the other sites, like Edmunds, etc. YMMV...
Old 02-08-2024, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
So is KBB vastly overstating vehicle values? I am coming up on lease end and kbb is saying I have equity in my vehicle making it worth buying after lease. If not true, Acura can have it back and I will save my payments.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Used values are definitely dropping quickly. I'm in the market and watching vehicles regularly and many are dropping $500+ per day. But some of these dealerships are not getting the memo and are way overpriced; but at least those stick out like a sore thumb now.

Also sad to see all of the TLXs and MDXs that have a stop sale on them still being sold. Some dealerships clearly know this because they have them priced very low in an effort to try to dump them.

Originally Posted by markAZ
I have found KBB to be quite a bit higher than the other sites, like Edmunds, etc. YMMV...
KBB is owned by Autotrader now so they would have a vested interest in inflating values a bit.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
So is KBB vastly overstating vehicle values? I am coming up on lease end and kbb is saying I have equity in my vehicle making it worth buying after lease. If not true, Acura can have it back and I will save my payments.
Because of inflation, I think it would be hard for residual value of any car to not be worth it if it was leased before MY2022. We went through a period where used cars were costing more than new cars, and that seems to have cooled off. But it doesn't change the fact that MSRP of cars are now about 10-20% higher than before the pandemic.

Just make a trip to Carmax. It will be worth your time.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
I just got CarMax estimate of $36,000 for my car with 7,500 miles so I think used car prices are coming down. For comparison KBB Instant cash offer was $37,200.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJ4RDX
I just got CarMax estimate of $36,000 for my car with 7,500 miles so I think used car prices are coming down. For comparison KBB Instant cash offer was $37,200.
What model year is yours?

(Unfortunately signature doesn’t show on mobile.)
Old 02-09-2024, 02:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anoop
What model year is yours?

(Unfortunately signature doesn’t show on mobile.)
2023 RDX Advance SH-AWD - White/Ebony
Old 02-09-2024, 05:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

2023 RDX Advance SH-AWD - White/Ebony
wow that’s quite a drop for < 1 year of use. I paid 51k in March last year.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Also sad to see all of the TLXs and MDXs that have a stop sale on them still being sold. Some dealerships clearly know this because they have them priced very low in an effort to try to dump them.
What stop sale?
Old 02-09-2024, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Car dealers rely on Galves for their used car trade-in valuation and I believe it gets updated monthly:
https://www.galves.com/

KBB helps people overvalue their cars the same way Zillow/Trulia helps people overvalue their homes. What you think you should "fairly" get is not what others think!
Old 02-09-2024, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
What stop sale?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V751-3696.PDF

Acura is announcing a STOP SALE and safety recall for certain model year 2016–2020 MDX and 2015–2020 TLX V6 vehicles which may have engines containing internal damage at the connecting rod bearings, possibly leading to engine failure. If an engine fails, the vehicle may lose motive power, increasing the risk of crash, fire and resulting injury. During engine manufacturing, some crankshafts may have been built with improper connecting rod journal dimensions, resulting in increased friction between the journals and their bearings. This increased friction could lead to accelerated engine deterioration and possible failure due to a lack of lubrication and excessive heat. If this temporary placeholder bulletin appears during an iN VIN status inquiry, the vehicle is subject to a safety recall. Any affected vehicles in your dealer inventory are on STOP SALE until further notice. Refrain from calling Tech Line for updates.

When I come across the listings I run the VIN, 90% so far should still not be for sale. And if you are curious about when this can be resolved the last I saw was, "Sometime this Spring and just don't drive the car until the part has been manufactured."

Last edited by ESHBG; 02-09-2024 at 11:10 AM.
ELIN (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ESHBG
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V751-3696.PDF

Acura is announcing a STOP SALE and safety recall for certain model year 2016–2020 MDX and 2015–2020 TLX V6 vehicles which may have engines containing internal damage at the connecting rod bearings, possibly leading to engine failure. If an engine fails, the vehicle may lose motive power, increasing the risk of crash, fire and resulting injury. During engine manufacturing, some crankshafts may have been built with improper connecting rod journal dimensions, resulting in increased friction between the journals and their bearings. This increased friction could lead to accelerated engine deterioration and possible failure due to a lack of lubrication and excessive heat. If this temporary placeholder bulletin appears during an iN VIN status inquiry, the vehicle is subject to a safety recall. Any affected vehicles in your dealer inventory are on STOP SALE until further notice. Refrain from calling Tech Line for updates.

When I come across the listings I run the VIN, 90% so far should still not be for sale. And if you are curious about when this can be resolved the last I saw was, "Sometime this Spring and just don't drive the car until the part has been manufactured."
Yes, I heard about this but I normally associate a STOP SALE for new cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
ESHBG (02-09-2024), NBPDC505 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Not surprised by the used values of any vehicles these days. We are well beyond the crazy supply constraint times that only last for 9 months or so. Now we have long term supply constraints of qualified buyers, high repo #'s, higher interest rates and dealers with full lots of new and used vehicles. EV's have got hit the hardest in depreciation, and so have all the people and dealers who "marked up" the prices - that boomerang is hitting hard.

Caravana is doing their best to not be the next Vroom - but their values are rock bottom and IMO below fair market values by a chunk of $$$$. I got a good laugh when they sent me this "value" update this morning. KBB value is more like what you can haggle at a dealer for a trade-in.

Good note - if you are looking for a great 2-3 year old RDX loaded, they can be had for a great price/value. Me, keeping my RDX - it's a rock solid sporty SUV - and at 22k miles has years of great motoring ahead of it.

wait a minute. I have a 2021 advance with 22k miles and kbb says it’s trade in is $39,500. Did u get in an accident? Also, I am in Michigan, salted roads pothole capital of the world.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:51 PM
Drifting

wait a minute. I have a 2021 advance with 22k miles and kbb says it’s trade in is $39,500. Did u get in an accident? Also, I am in Michigan, salted roads pothole capital of the world.
If someone is willing to pay that for your car, SELL!!!
Texasrdx21 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 03:17 AM
Advanced

That may not be too far off if your car is in great condition. I was offered $42,000 for my car as trade. In addition, trade decreases your new car sales tax, so in MA that would be equivalent to a $44,625 cash offer... far better that what I got as straight sale offer from Carmax or KBB.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:04 AM
Instructor

That may not be too far off if your car is in great condition. I was offered $42,000 for my car as trade. In addition, trade decreases your new car sales tax, so in MA that would be equivalent to a $44,625 cash offer... far better that what I got as straight sale offer from Carmax or KBB.
Oh, so they are juicing the price by including sales tax.
It is in excellent condition. I kept it mint and have rarely drove it. Got tux mats right away. Did a ceramic coating a month after getting.
My lease ends in June. The buyout price is ~$29k. So i am looking at a) get screwed by turning it in and getting mileage credit to start a far more expensive lease on basically the same vehicle b) turn it in and do nothing and let the dealership make a huge profit c) buy it off lease and take a 5 year loan at 7.8% which would give me a payment a little less than my lease then either keep or sell to whomever.
I find it is an excellent vehicle (except the transmission). The only thing that has been a hinderance is that I have a jet ski that i tow with a 2012 Rdx bcuz i dont want to track sand & lake water in my $40k vehicle. So I pay for insurance on both and for getting no tickets or no accidents in the last 6 months, progressive increased my premiums 30%. AND, i ride the bus to work 50% of the time.
Just trying to figure out what to do.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

No accidents - excellent condition - - Those values were my Texas RDX Aspec SHAwd. Looked at the advance, yep KBB price is much higher - if that correct - I’d trade it in in a heartbeat and haggle a deal on a new Aspec Advance.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 02-10-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Instructor

No accidents - excellent condition - - Those values were my Texas RDX Aspec SHAwd. Looked at the advance, yep KBB price is much higher - if that correct - I’d trade it in in a heartbeat and haggle a deal on a new Aspec Advance.
why? Nothing special about an aspec except larger rims. Not sure I would dig that red tint to everything either. Does the aspec advance now have HUD?
Old 02-11-2024, 03:05 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
What stop sale?
The 3 stop sales right now are for rod bearings, fuel pumps, and passenger weight/airbag sensor. Not every Acura has them, but many do.

Acura dealers are not allowed to sell them per Acura policy, as they are in the "waiting for parts" stage for a couple months, so tradein at Acura is dropping like crazy. 3rd party is allowed to sell them with a notice to go to the dealer for repair.

For me it would be a great time to buy a used open-recall car if within factory warranty as you could add Acuracare post-purchase. Prices are as probably as depressed as they will ever be in the next 2-3 years due to this dealer stopsale.
ELIN (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:24 AM
Advanced

Oh, so they are juicing the price by including sales tax.
I wouldn't say they (the dealer) are juicing the price, but it should enter into the calculation if you have a similar situation. For example, let's say CarMax offer $40k cash for the car. You go to the dealer and buy new car with that cash and you must pay full sales tax on your new purchase. Now if dealer offers $40k as trade-in allowance, I will not pay any sales tax on that $40k so my reduction in OTD price is actually $42,500. That additional $2.5k is serious coin in my book 😊
Old 02-11-2024, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
The 3 stop sales right now are for rod bearings, fuel pumps, and passenger weight/airbag sensor. Not every Acura has them, but many do.

Acura dealers are not allowed to sell them per Acura policy, as they are in the "waiting for parts" stage for a couple months, so tradein at Acura is dropping like crazy. 3rd party is allowed to sell them with a notice to go to the dealer for repair.

For me it would be a great time to buy a used open-recall car if within factory warranty as you could add Acuracare post-purchase. Prices are as probably as depressed as they will ever be in the next 2-3 years due to this dealer stopsale.
Where did you read the “stop sale” information on. I tried to Google it, didn’t find any “stop sale” information.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:22 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Look up the TSB links at the top of the model sub forums. Find the rod bearing, fuel pump, and weight sensor ones. Open them up and you'll see that it speaks of a stop sale.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts

Carvana is trying not to do what they did before. Lol! Carmax and Carvana were buying high and selling high. Then when prices went to a semi-normal state, they were stuck with a bunch of cars they overpaid for. I seen guys getting offers from Carmax and Carvana for 2018 and 2019 Accords with 40k miles for $30k! When brand new, they were $27-28k. They shot themselves in the foot doing that. So now they're giving way below market value for offers so they don't get caught like that again. At least they learn their lesson.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
Look up the TSB links at the top of the model sub forums. Find the rod bearing, fuel pump, and weight sensor ones. Open them up and you'll see that it speaks of a stop sale.
Don’t see it or any information can be found on a stop ship.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Don’t see it or any information can be found on a stop ship.
The rod bearing stop-sale applies to the 2016 to 2020 MDX and 2015 to 2020 TLX. I hadn't heard it applied to the fuel pump recall.

​​​

Last edited by HotRodW; 02-11-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thread caught my attention. I have a 2022 Aspec-Adv with under 16K on it. Perfect condition.. clean title... I was shopping it with a non-Acura dealer and was told 33k. I nearly fell over. Granted KBB is always high but it's not that far off. I showed him my VIN within KBB and it was showing 41-42. I told him even if KBB is usually higher he's not even in the same vicinity. And the vehicle I was looking at was MSRP. Things are coming back (at least in our area) to normal with inventories on the lots. Depending on make/model... some have quite a few vehicles sitting on the lots.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
Thread caught my attention. I have a 2022 Aspec-Adv with under 16K on it. Perfect condition.. clean title... I was shopping it with a non-Acura dealer and was told 33k. I nearly fell over. Granted KBB is always high but it's not that far off. I showed him my VIN within KBB and it was showing 41-42. I told him even if KBB is usually higher he's not even in the same vicinity. And the vehicle I was looking at was MSRP. Things are coming back (at least in our area) to normal with inventories on the lots. Depending on make/model... some have quite a few vehicles sitting on the lots.
KKB is never accurate. I have used their values a few times at dealer - they never offer near the KBB value - kind of like a Zillow z-estimate on your home - especially in a falling market.

Lot's of dealers are swamped with inventory, new and used. The Acura dealer I bought mine at in late 2020 - (Acura of Austin North - Texas) currently has 47 RDX's. Thats a HUGE inventory and prime for deal making. Inventory wise, no shortage - but a shortage of qualified buyers.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anoop
wow that’s quite a drop for < 1 year of use. I paid 51k in March last year.
I got $36k appraised value at carmax for 2023 AWD tech with 10.5k miles.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

Just got back from the Acura dealer for my 22 Aspec/Adv with just under 16K miles and in great condition. 36k. So more than the other dealer 33k (non-Acura) but less than I was hoping (isn't that always the case!).
Old 02-19-2024, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got back from the Acura dealer for my 22 Aspec/Adv with just under 16K miles and in great condition. 36k. So more than the other dealer 33k (non-Acura) but less than I was hoping (isn't that always the case!).
What are you wanting to trade your 22 Aspec/Adv in for?
Old 02-19-2024, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

What are you wanting to trade your 22 Aspec/Adv in for?
There are few I'm considering. For Acura it's the ITS.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try Carmax.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts
Why not just sell it on your own? Dealers have to low-ball in order to turn a profit when they sell it to the next person. Cut out the middle man and you could easily get at least another $2-3k. Some conveniences are worth paying for, but not vehicle trade-ins, imo. Only exceptions are if you live in a bad/rural market for private sales or if you get a tax break by only having to pay taxes on the difference on a new car (I live in VA, and they screw you over and make you pay full tax regardless).
Old 02-26-2024, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Update: I got $42,000 for my RDX as trade-in with 8k miles and dealer is now listing it used for $45,900
Carmax offered only $36,000 and KBB Instant Cash Offer was $37,300.
Seeing that I did not have to pay any sales tax on my new car, the trade-in was by far the best deal (the equivalent of $44,625 off my OTD price).
The following 3 users liked this post by MJ4RDX:
bowhun2r (02-26-2024), ELIN (02-26-2024), ESHBG (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Update: I got $42,000 for my RDX as trade-in with 8k miles and dealer is now listing it used for $45,900
Seeing that I did not have to pay any sales tax on my new car, the trade-in was by far the best deal (the equivalent of $44,625 off my OTD price).
What did you end up getting?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:44 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Try selling your car on Autotrader.
I had a 2012 TL manual that the dealer would only give me 14k on....I sold it for over 22k.
Now granted, my car was a rare one, but if you have a really nice RDX in a desirable color combo you may be able to get a much better price
than what dealers offer. A lot of the time they may give you a great trade in value, but rape you on the new car pricing...or the financing...etc.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Thats a good trade in price for your 2023 RDX Advance SH-AWD. What was the catalyst to trade it in and what did you acquire?
Old 02-26-2024, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Try selling your car on Autotrader.
I had a 2012 TL manual that the dealer would only give me 14k on....I sold it for over 22k.
Now granted, my car was a rare one, but if you have a really nice RDX in a desirable color combo you may be able to get a much better price
than what dealers offer. A lot of the time they may give you a great trade in value, but rape you on the new car pricing...or the financing...etc.
Nah. Dealers need sales in the new era of a supply constraint of "qualifies buyers". Texas offers the same tax advantage when trading in at a dealership for a new or used car - you only pay the "difference in price in sales tax" - that HUGE. Selling privately is a nightmare IMO - been down that route before, so much risk.

Pretty easy to look up the value of your vehicle, and the newer one you want - stick to your guns and get a great deal. No need to pay MSRP!
ESHBG (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: RDX used values...