RDX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
D'oh, yes. The Lincoln Continental has a 400hp variant. Forgot Lincoln offers cars anymore. Thanks for the correction. Since that's a variant of the CD4 chassis (Fusion) it's a tight package: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/linc...-awd-engine-02

Looks like air to air intercooling is happening which can't be great for plumbing or turbo lag. If Honda's not going hot Vee I'd hope they go liquid to air with the intercooler located atop the engine for efficiency and less lag.
If anything, I'd hope Honda learned from the 1G RDX mistakes and avoids the stupid top mount intercooler. They hopefully will do liquid to air because that's going to get HOT with 2 turbos.

Oh and lmao I don't blame you. I've seen as many RLX's as continentals on the road. I believe the MKZ also offers the 3.0TT or was that the MKS (this is why alphabet soup names is trash).
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
bumpage... hoping we see a bigger engine and twin turbo option in this month's release of the type S.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rmsanger
bumpage... hoping we see a bigger engine and twin turbo option in this month's release of the type S.
They were calling it a Type-S concept, so it won't even necessarily be a real model. So we can and should take it all with a pinch of salt. They're probably going to make wild claims of 500hp and then the production model gets 350. Also this is for the TLX and MDX, no talk about the RDX yet.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Yawn no impressed with the release today.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Knowing how Acura has handled previous Type-S variants, I would expect the following:
  • -Engine will be the same. There will be some tweaks and type-s exclusive parts to make a LITTLE more power, but not much more.
    • Most likely a performance exhaust package, some type of upsized throttle body, minor engine performance parts.
  • -Will probably have either the A-spec appearance package, or a Type-S exclusive appearance package, along with some increased CHASSIS performance parts. Most likely the Adaptive Damper System with new settings exclusive to the Type-S.
  • Thinking about it, the Type-S package will probably be an "add-on" for the A-Spec package ONLY. This would make sense, as it would add a few things from the Advance Package, like the adaptive damper system.

It would be cool to see a gasoline electric hybrid SH-AWD variant, though. With an all electric mode, similar to the NSX. Instant torque and increased fuel economy.

I don't believe Acura will make an RDX Type-S.
It seems like Honda Corporate is separating the Type-R and Type-S badges, with the R being reserved for Hondas and the S being reserved for Acuras.

Last edited by C00TS; 12-05-2019 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fogdoctor (02-09-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Advanced

IMO if they come out with a type S to to compete with the GLC43, the X3 M40i, and the XC60 T8 it will need to be 380 - 400 hp/ 375 - 400 tq out of the box. It will need to have the option to look like an Aspec but have all of the advance features with a few extras. Maybe massaging chairs, active/dynamic headlights, 3 zone climate controls, the active dampers under comfort needs to be softened a bit, autonomous parking, electronic telescoping wheel, luxurious interior lighting options, active exhaust, improved rear view and 360 carmera resolution, hill descent, unique performance wheels and tires, cross traffic monitoring and cameras, better gearing for manual control as well as better takeoff in gears 1 & 2.

It likely will be $65k- $70k fully loaded whereas the BMW/Merc/Volvo are topping out at $80k+ fully loaded.
Bump I'm betting my prediction wasn't that far off... Still guessing 400 hp / 400 tq 3.5TT at $65k fully loaded for the 2021 model. This will go up against the pending GV70 variant from Genesis which will be rough competition for Acura. Acura better give the Type S all the visual appears of the A spec and all the tech of the advanced. They then will need to improve the interior a bit over the regular RDX to have better seats and maybe a bit more flair.

Here is their competing power plant which the 3.3T is quite impressive. Their new powertrain will be amazing!
https://genesisowners.com/genesis-fo...the-g70.27983/

Last edited by Rmsanger; 02-07-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C00TS
Knowing how Acura has handled previous Type-S variants, I would expect the following:
  • -Engine will be the same. There will be some tweaks and type-s exclusive parts to make a LITTLE more power, but not much more.
    • Most likely a performance exhaust package, some type of upsized throttle body, minor engine performance parts.
  • -Will probably have either the A-spec appearance package, or a Type-S exclusive appearance package, along with some increased CHASSIS performance parts. Most likely the Adaptive Damper System with new settings exclusive to the Type-S.
  • Thinking about it, the Type-S package will probably be an "add-on" for the A-Spec package ONLY. This would make sense, as it would add a few things from the Advance Package, like the adaptive damper system.

It would be cool to see a gasoline electric hybrid SH-AWD variant, though. With an all electric mode, similar to the NSX. Instant torque and increased fuel economy.

I don't believe Acura will make an RDX Type-S.
It seems like Honda Corporate is separating the Type-R and Type-S badges, with the R being reserved for Hondas and the S being reserved for Acuras.
Thinking more about my initial predictions, I think the best Acura would offer would be an RDX PMC Edition, similar to the PMC (Performance Manufacturing Center) Edition MDX.

No increased power. The PMC combines the A-spec package with the Advance Package, along with some exclusive appearance items.

It's too bad they are only offered in Valencia Red, though.

It really is a shame that A-Spec is basically an appearance-only package & badge now, instead of a true performance enhancing package. American Acura is trying to make A-spec too similar to Audi's S-Line.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

... Acura better give the Type S all the visual appears of the A spec and all the tech of the advanced. They then will need to improve the interior a bit over the regular RDX to have better seats and maybe a bit more flair
Acura is already doing this with their over-priced PMC Edition vehicles.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Thinking more about my initial predictions, I think the best Acura would offer would be an RDX PMC Edition, similar to the PMC (Performance Manufacturing Center) Edition MDX.

No increased power. The PMC combines the A-spec package with the Advance Package, along with some exclusive appearance items.

It's too bad they are only offered in Valencia Red, though.

It really is a shame that A-Spec is basically an appearance-only package & badge now, instead of a true performance enhancing package. American Acura is trying to make A-spec too similar to Audi's S-Line.
Hasn’t the A-Spec always been just an appearance package and slight suspension tuning? At least, that’s what I remember it being for the 3G TL and 2G RL.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Tesla Model Y: 3.5 seconds 0-60.

If you need a fast SUV.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Wish I had 80k cdn taxes in for a modely y and 5k for the electrical plug install in my condo underground.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Tesla Model Y: 3.5 seconds 0-60.

If you need a fast SUV.
lol at Tesla. Hard hard pass
The following 2 users liked this post by Rmsanger:
Midnight Mystery (02-07-2020), NBPDC505 (07-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Correct. All that torque and response goes to zero while on the hoist.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Hoist? Tesla's don't need no stinking hoist. If it breaks, Musk will beam down a new one on the spot.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy a little 420 while you wait.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Hoist? Tesla's don't need no stinking hoist. If it breaks, Musk will beam down a new one on the spot.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy a little 420 while you wait.
I came across one red Model Y the other day, probably with performance package because it sat lower than normal SUV. It looks quite nice, and the front proportion is better than Model 3 due to the extra height. Tesla powertrain simply obliterates any competition. Honestly I feel comparing Type-S to Model Y is kind of pointless because Type-S is bracketed by standard and performance in terms of price and acceleration. Handling-wise, Y also has double wishbone setup in the front to give it crisp feedback. I hope Acura can go all out and swap in a more refined front suspension component, like the one on CTR. HP should be up there with BMW B58 Evo @ 385hp.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:21 AM
Drifting

If one is looking for a speedy SUV, one will have to pay.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
There was a time, not too long ago, when 'speedy SUV" was an oxymoron. Maybe because nobody thought they needed one.

Also, "SUV with no cargo area" was an oxymoron. And "SUV with no ground clearance".

Maybe we should just retire "SUV" from the dictionary and be done with it. It no longer has meaning.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Hasn’t the A-Spec always been just an appearance package and slight suspension tuning? At least, that’s what I remember it being for the 3G TL and 2G RL.
Pretty much. Exterior lip kits and completely different shocks and spring package. They could have at least added some type of "sport" muffler, like the HFP muffler for the civic si.

Now it's not even refined suspension. Kind of makes sense... since everything is going magnetic and electronically adjustable. Still, they could unlock a setting in there.

Makes you wonder... why even have the A-spec badge at all if it's only a lip kit? I think it's not even special interior. Just trying to compete with the Germans, I guess. Similar to Toyota's F-sport.

I wonder what the type-s will be? An a-spec appearance package with actual minor performance enhancements? Probably a separate cosmetic package with some minor performance enhancements.

There is already spy shots of the 2020 TLX TYPE-S spotted.

It's pretty clear that Honda is splitting the old Type-R badge into two: Type-R for Honda and Type-s for Acura. Too bad type-s won't be what type-r is.

Anyone think will ever see another Acura-badged type-r? I don't. Not since Acura has basically been taken over by American Honda. All the new Acuras are designed and built in the US.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Anyone think will ever see another Acura-badged type-r? I don't. Not since Acura has basically been taken over by American Honda. All the new Acuras are designed and built in the US.
Hopefully. Honda CEO has came out and admit localization and lack of central control has impacted quality.

"Decades ago, localization ... was the buzz word and our tech centre independence was a key driver for innovation," said a former Honda executive who now is the head of one of its suppliers. "Those days are over."

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/10/...-streamlining/

Old 02-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

Acura should've made an option for a bigger engine on the RDX. Why acura has the aspec package that makes the car "look" faster, and more "sporty" but the same engine.

I hope in the future the RDX comes with an inline 6 or v6, give it a turbo or dont i really dont care. I just miss having v6 power. Definitely better and stronger than i4's that try to mimic v6's.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by phillyman1998
Acura should've made an option for a bigger engine on the RDX. Why acura has the aspec package that makes the car "look" faster, and more "sporty" but the same engine.

I hope in the future the RDX comes with an inline 6 or v6, give it a turbo or dont i really dont care. I just miss having v6 power. Definitely better and stronger than i4's that try to mimic v6's.
some people like myself like Turbo coming back after it was introduced in 1st gen RDX. It would be nice if it had 6cyl turbo option. It might happen if they are successful with TLX type S sales. They need to have enough demand so they can make money
Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phillyman1998

The biggest advantage of the turbo 4's is weight savings. Having a lighter engine in the front makes for a way better handling vehicle. Hence why a lot of brands have gone to smaller displacement turbo 6's and smaller V8's in their sports cars.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The biggest advantage of the turbo 4's is weight savings. Having a lighter engine in the front makes for a way better handling vehicle. Hence why a lot of brands have gone to smaller displacement turbo 6's and smaller V8's in their sports cars.
I also find that Turbo is sort of fun to drive. It has boost. Thats not to say its faster 0-60 or anything, just fun to drive.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Advanced

IMO if they come out with a type S to to compete with the GLC43, the X3 M40i, and the XC60 T8 it will need to be 380 - 400 hp/ 375 - 400 tq out of the box. It will need to have the option to look like an Aspec but have all of the advance features with a few extras. Maybe massaging chairs, active/dynamic headlights, 3 zone climate controls, the active dampers under comfort needs to be softened a bit, autonomous parking, electronic telescoping wheel, luxurious interior lighting options, active exhaust, improved rear view and 360 carmera resolution, hill descent, unique performance wheels and tires, cross traffic monitoring and cameras, better gearing for manual control as well as better takeoff in gears 1 & 2.

It likely will be $65k- $70k fully loaded whereas the BMW/Merc/Volvo are topping out at $80k+ fully loaded.
Just want to bump my old post which I got alot of flack on here for.... Basically all of the features and specs I posted 2 years ago that the Type S needs is exactly what Genesis just released with their GV70. I got a ton of crap that the $65k is way to high of a price point for an Acura RDX yet the Hyundai lux spin that is Genesis just released their top spec at $65k with basically the same power and all the features I listed above.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Just want to bump my old post which I got alot of flack on here for.... Basically all of the features and specs I posted 2 years ago that the Type S needs is exactly what Genesis just released with their GV70. I got a ton of crap that the $65k is way to high of a price point for an Acura RDX yet the Hyundai lux spin that is Genesis just released their top spec at $65k with basically the same power and all the features I listed above.
The thing that's nuts is that the top spec at $65K has features you can't even get on the German options, let alone on the RDX Advance. So even more than just providing more value over the Germans, it goes above and beyond what they offer.

Good job Genesis, I hope these things sells like hotcakes and forces Acura and Lexus to up their game.
Rmsanger (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:16 AM
Advanced

The thing that's nuts is that the top spec at $65K has features you can't even get on the German options, let alone on the RDX Advance. So even more than just providing more value over the Germans, it goes above and beyond what they offer.

Good job Genesis, I hope these things sells like hotcakes and forces Acura and Lexus to up their game.
Acura better step it up with their type S variant of the RDX to compete.
silverTL6 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 06:45 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
The thing that's nuts is that the top spec at $65K has features you can't even get on the German options
Like what?
Old 07-07-2021, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Like what?
Off the top of my head:

3D digital gauges
Turn signal cameras
Smaht Pahk
Fingerprint recognition
Built in air purifier
Heated/Ventilated rear seats
Electronically controlled suspension that uses a camera to see what the road ahead looks like

There may be more, but at a minimum these are things that aren’t offered on the GLC, X3, Q5, etc.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:10 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Those seem like nice amenities. Nothing earth shattering but nice. I was hoping Park Assist was automatic parallel parking but from the video I just looked up, it seems like it's only for rolling forward or back into a space. I guess that'd be nice if someone parks you in at the supermarket but I don't see getting much use out of that.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Those seem like nice amenities. Nothing earth shattering but nice. I was hoping Park Assist was automatic parallel parking but from the video I just looked up, it seems like it's only for rolling forward or back into a space. I guess that'd be nice if someone parks you in at the supermarket but I don't see getting much use out of that.
There's two different flavors for Smart Park. There's the Smart Parking Assist which is the one that will park into a parallel or perpendicular spot for you (the one many automakers now offer). Then there's the Remote Smart Park which is the one where you can move the car forwards and backwards from outside the car. I believe the GV70 can be equipped with both.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Oh I see. I would like Smart Parking Assist - right now, it's only available on the RDX when my wife calls me to come park the car :/
Old 07-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Here's one to start. Power Folding Mirrors which should've been standard or at least a given option. And remote start.
The following 2 users liked this post by Too2ilent:
Jim7707 (07-07-2021), SpaceBot (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Too2ilent
Here's one to start. Power Folding Mirrors which should've been standard or at least a given option. And remote start.
How this car does not have power folding mirrors is beyond me. It should also have power steering wheel adjusters so that when a driver profile is made, the mirrors, seat, and steering wheel all adjust. These things should have been included in the Advance, and if they were, I would have bought it.
SpaceBot (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
How this car does not have power folding mirrors is beyond me. It should also have power steering wheel adjusters so that when a driver profile is made, the mirrors, seat, and steering wheel all adjust. These things should have been included in the Advance, and if they were, I would have bought it.
It's defensible for it not to be a standard feature, but not to be offered at all even if you're willing to pay for it...well I guess that's why Acura is always seens as a premium brand and not luxury brand.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
hand-filer (07-07-2021), Madd Dog (07-07-2021), SpaceBot (07-07-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
The speed with which autoworld is moving towards electrification, i feel if Acura waits till 2023 to bring in RDX-S using V6 Turbo, it will be late. Within one year of that, Acura's EV (tie up with GM) should also be ready for market.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
The speed with which autoworld is moving towards electrification, i feel if Acura waits till 2023 to bring in RDX-S using V6 Turbo, it will be late. Within one year of that, Acura's EV (tie up with GM) should also be ready for market.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I know I'm not alone in my preference for gas engines over electric motors until the choice is no longer available. Not quite as many electric enthusiasts as some would have you believe. If there is a Type-S RDX in 23 I will be at the dealer to trade.
The following 3 users liked this post by NBPDC505:
Chargersix (07-16-2021), DAC17 (07-16-2021), Ih8honda (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by NBPDC505
I disagree wholeheartedly. I know I'm not alone in my preference for gas engines over electric motors until the choice is no longer available. Not quite as many electric enthusiasts as some would have you believe. If there is a Type-S RDX in 23 I will be at the dealer to trade.
Agree. Automakers selling electric vehicles and a nationwide infrastructure to support them are two different things. Just took a long road trip and gas stations right off the interstate (I 95) were stacked up at the pumps. And we were traveling during the work week. It will be a long time before the country, outside CA, can support electric vehicles serving as something other than commuters.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chargersix:
DAC17 (07-16-2021), Ih8honda (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chargersix
Agree. Automakers selling electric vehicles and a nationwide infrastructure to support them are two different things. Just took a long road trip and gas stations right off the interstate (I 95) were stacked up at the pumps. And we were traveling during the work week. It will be a long time before the country, outside CA, can support electric vehicles serving as something other than commuters.
That's why I'm a big fan of PHEVs as a stopgap while we wait for the infrastructure to be built up. Enough range for the daily commute and around town, and if you need to take a long roadtrip you can use gas. Even with the deadweight of the batteries, my freeway gas mileage is 30mpg vs 31mpg for the gas version. But on the daily commute, I'm saving $3.40 each way (9kwh @ $0.165/kwh to go 21 miles city vs 1 gallon @ $4.90). That comes out to about $1700/year in savings just from the commute alone. And that's on a performance-focused PHEV; for economy-focused PHEVs the savings are likely even greater.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Chargersix (07-16-2021), EFR (07-17-2021), JB in AZ (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
That's why I'm a big fan of PHEVs as a stopgap while we wait for the infrastructure to be built up. Enough range for the daily commute and around town, and if you need to take a long roadtrip you can use gas. Even with the deadweight of the batteries, my freeway gas mileage is 30mpg vs 31mpg for the gas version. But on the daily commute, I'm saving $3.40 each way (9kwh @ $0.165/kwh to go 21 miles city vs 1 gallon @ $4.90). That comes out to about $1700/year in savings just from the commute alone. And that's on a performance-focused PHEV; for economy-focused PHEVs the savings are likely even greater.
Hence, if they come out with that as compared to the Type S as an option in the next few months. Take my money Acura, it's an instant win.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^Not if that vehicle weighs 4500 lbs. It's already quite porky at 4K+ for the awd model.

Quick Reply: RDX Type-S