RDX and SUV speeds in general

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
RDX and SUV speeds in general

Hi guys. I'm currently driving a 2023 RDX Aspec Advance. My objective was to immediately get the KTuner stage 3 once I got the RDX. I haven't yet. Now that I have the RDX, I feel it is plenty fast but then again I'm coming from a 2005 TSX which I still have by the way. I had the Hondata reflash on my TSX and also the comptech supercharger. Honestly I had a little buyer's remorse with the RDX because I've primarily driven sedans but I wanted something different. The rollover warning on the RDX sun visor made me think oh boy... Not used to that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the vehicle but I'm second guessing if I should get the KTuner now. Forgive my naive question but what is the big infatuation of having a crazy fast SUV/CUV if there is increased risk of roll over. Seems like you are essentially limited to straight line only and won't really be able to enjoy the speed. I wouldn't want a really slow SUV but mid 6's seems fast enough. No? Please educate me as an SUV newbie. Maybe not all SUVs are created equal and can handle curves close to a sedan.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Thats a pretty standard warning for SUVs these days. I don't get the tippy feeling in the RDX. You should find the handling plenty good. If you were looking for an SUV that was a significantly better handler, you'd be spending quite a bit more.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:37 AM
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Seems like a tune is a non-event to me. Buy one if you want a faster RDX. Rollovers are usually caused by extreme counter-steering. You don't counter-steer driving down a twisty road or even a weekend-warrior track event. Regarding excess speed and bad driving technique, a stock RDX is fast enough to get a driver into trouble if he/she misjudges something. If a tuned RDX has the extra power to enter some hypothetical corner perhaps 2-3 mph faster than a stock RDX, it won’t make any difference. It will still amount to driver error in both cases.
The following users liked this post:
NBPDC505 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
I never thought I would see the words "crazy fast" and "RDX" together!

All kidding aside, tuning your RDX is only going to increase the possibility of an accident (based on your current driving habits). If you really want to go back to feeling planted, you should probably go back to a sedan.
Any reason you didn't wait for the RDX Type S to come out?
Old 08-15-2023, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Cc516x
Hi guys. I'm currently driving a 2023 RDX Aspec Advance. My objective was to immediately get the KTuner stage 3 once I got the RDX. I haven't yet. Now that I have the RDX, I feel it is plenty fast but then again I'm coming from a 2005 TSX which I still have by the way. I had the Hondata reflash on my TSX and also the comptech supercharger. Honestly I had a little buyer's remorse with the RDX because I've primarily driven sedans but I wanted something different. The rollover warning on the RDX sun visor made me think oh boy... Not used to that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the vehicle but I'm second guessing if I should get the KTuner now. Forgive my naive question but what is the big infatuation of having a crazy fast SUV/CUV if there is increased risk of roll over. Seems like you are essentially limited to straight line only and won't really be able to enjoy the speed. I wouldn't want a really slow SUV but mid 6's seems fast enough. No? Please educate me as an SUV newbie. Maybe not all SUVs are created equal and can handle curves close to a sedan.
You didn't note if you have the FWD or SHawd model. Putting more power down if it's the 1st will be very difficult without spinning the tires). Definitely way to much body roll and vagueness in the suspension/steering for curvy road - just feels out of its element and sloppy. Not its true intention.

The Acura is a "sporty SUV", as opposed to a "sports SUV". Faster SUV? Tesla Model Y Performance (0-60 - 3.5 sec), BMW x1M or X3M (Under 5 secs) to name two. A little SUV rocket - Hyundai Kona N - power, brakes and suspension to rip up some roads. Bigger - Ford Explorer ST with the Performance pack.

If you add more speed and HP, definitely want to address the brakes - as they are just adequate with the stock power. Suspension, tires and rims are for mostly hauling people - not a curvy road carver. That was never the intention of the RDX, nor most SUV's. Center of gravity is higher, sure if you tried hard enough you can roll any vehicle - but on public roads?

Look at all the mods for the Rahal RDX - lots of $$$ put into that build. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...m-rahal-semaa/

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 08-15-2023 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
My first Acura was an 06 TSX 5AT and I added Progress RSB, Heal Toe camber kit, Fastline endlinks, and ASpec suspension. I called the TSX my 4-door coupe because I really liked the handling; but, hated the lack of hp/tq (live/drive 5000-7200 feet at 75-80 mph). I didn't want to spend the $$ for Hondata or Comptech S/C at the time for the TSX. Ended up adding an 08 RDX tech with Hondata, ETS intercooler, Progress RSB, heatshield gasket, Eibach lowering springs, and ultra high performance all seasons (around 280-295 hp/tq depending on time of year). The 08 RDX was pretty much a hammer if you only saw was nails and it drove better the harder you pushed it (main reason it didn't sell well, compared to the softer 3.5L 2nd Gen RDX).

I had to learn to drive the 2.3T sh-awd RDX differently in the curves compared to the fwd 06 TSX. I had to learn to down shift to engine brake, spool up the turbo, and use the throttle to engage the sh-awd tq vectoring to rotate the rear to get maximum "hammering". My RDX would do 20-25 mph above whatever the posted 90-270 degree exit ramps speed. Sh-awd does an excellent job of leveling out and rotating the rear for more secure handling under power when the road gets curvy or up mountain switchbacks. A sporty SUV/CUV can be just another top heavy vehicle if you drive it into the curves like a fwd sedan without engine power, no sh-awd, and riding the brakes. That is where the Progress RSB and Eibach lowering springs came in to improve the handling down the mountain switchback when you are off power.

The Sport Hybrid RLX/MDX/NSX are the only vehicles that had full time tq vectoring with regen braking with or without engine power. You could tq vector with the rear outside wheel and regen brake with the inside rear wheel for tighter turns on or off engine power with the the Sport Hybrid system.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
markm929 (08-15-2023), RDX10 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
I generally find anything that can do 0-60 in under 7 seconds to be "quick enough" and the RDX falls under this BUT I wouldn't say no to another 60-100hp. Around the city it serves no purpose but when I floor it at 100kph I would definitely get value out of it.

All that said, I do find high powered SUVs to be pretty silly - they strike me as borderline dangerous.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
cwatt79 (08-15-2023), RDX10 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
My first Acura was an 06 TSX 5AT and I added Progress RSB, Heal Toe camber kit, Fastline endlinks, and ASpec suspension. I called the TSX my 4-door coupe because I really liked the handling; but, hated the lack of hp/tq (live/drive 5000-7200 feet at 75-80 mph). I didn't want to spend the $$ for Hondata or Comptech S/C at the time for the TSX. Ended up adding an 08 RDX tech with Hondata, ETS intercooler, Progress RSB, heatshield gasket, Eibach lowering springs, and ultra high performance all seasons (around 280-295 hp/tq depending on time of year). The 08 RDX was pretty much a hammer if you only saw was nails and it drove better the harder you pushed it (main reason it didn't sell well, compared to the softer 3.5L 2nd Gen RDX).

I had to learn to drive the 2.3T sh-awd RDX differently in the curves compared to the fwd 06 TSX. I had to learn to down shift to engine brake, spool up the turbo, and use the throttle to engage the sh-awd tq vectoring to rotate the rear to get maximum "hammering". My RDX would do 20-25 mph above whatever the posted 90-270 degree exit ramps speed. Sh-awd does an excellent job of leveling out and rotating the rear for more secure handling under power when the road gets curvy or up mountain switchbacks. A sporty SUV/CUV can be just another top heavy vehicle if you drive it into the curves like a fwd sedan without engine power, no sh-awd, and riding the brakes. That is where the Progress RSB and Eibach lowering springs came in to improve the handling down the mountain switchback when you are off power.

The Sport Hybrid RLX/MDX/NSX are the only vehicles that had full time tq vectoring with regen braking with or without engine power. You could tq vector with the rear outside wheel and regen brake with the inside rear wheel for tighter turns on or off engine power with the the Sport Hybrid system.
Reading this made me miss my 1G RDX so much. I was driving to work this morning and a pre-facelift 1G RDX was weaving through traffic and I just got lost reminiscing in my old RDX college days. That thing was an absolute beast in corners when SH-AWD was active. The one major issue with the 1G RDX was how difficult it was to get SH-AWD to activate in day to day driving, you really had to drive it like a bat through hell to get any sort of appreciable SH-AWD activation, but my God when it activated that thing drove like it was on rails.

If the 3G RDX fixed that issue (Not sure as the one I test drove last summer I didn't really push very hard) then I can't really imagine a scenario where it would be easily rolling over in turns.

Originally Posted by supafamous
I generally find anything that can do 0-60 in under 7 seconds to be "quick enough" and the RDX falls under this BUT I wouldn't say no to another 60-100hp. Around the city it serves no purpose but when I floor it at 100kph I would definitely get value out of it.

All that said, I do find high powered SUVs to be pretty silly - they strike me as borderline dangerous.
I am of the same mindset, anything below 7 seconds is acceptable to me. 6-7s is the sweet spot of fast enough to get out of its' own way but not so ridiculous that you have to be extra mindful of speeding all the time. If I had something like a Tesla model X with a 0-60 in 3.2s I can't even fathom that lol.
mrgold35 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous

Only as dangerous as you make it. I enjoy the extra 150hp or so I've added to mine and at no point has an extra sense of danger been a feeling while driving. With the Eibach springs and better tires (Continental DWS06 Plus in OEM A-Spec size) along with SH-AWD the thing handles quite well.
mrgold35 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to see all the feedback as well as the community's unique perspective. My RDX is the sh-awd model. To me I feel it handles really well and it's a very practical vehicle. The 360 camera is really nice. Honestly, I'm not sure it I can drive another vehicle without one. I think it is only a matter of time that I get it tuned as I'm sure I won't be able to resist.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:28 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by Cc516x
Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to see all the feedback as well as the community's unique perspective. My RDX is the sh-awd model. To me I feel it handles really well and it's a very practical vehicle. The 360 camera is really nice. Honestly, I'm not sure it I can drive another vehicle without one. I think it is only a matter of time that I get it tuned as I'm sure I won't be able to resist.
Not sure if this is true for the 3rd Gen RDX; but, the 1st Gen RDX combined mpg improved with every engine mod piece I added. It wasn't anything dramatic. My 08 RDX was around 16.5-17.5 combined mpgs for the 240hp/260tq stock engine. I was seeing 18.5 to 20.5 combined mpgs when I added Hondata, ETS intercooler, and heatshield gaskets (saw best mpgs in winter and more power on butt dyno). The 1st Gen RDX saw more improved mpgs in the low/mid 20s with downpipe, Flashpro, or exhaust added. My 08 RDX is still on the road today with +200,000 miles when I handed it down to my daughter back in 2019. The gas savings has paid for the engine mods years ago when I first added $300 Hondata back in 2010.

Another big bonus with the engine mods was the RDX felt waaaay easier to drive in normal situations. I didn't have to push it as hard like before to achieve the same level of performance with the mods added (like going from a pedal bike to an ebike feeling).
Old 08-17-2023, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Good post. I have a 2012 TL Manual that flies but honestly I don't really push it hard. It's nice to know it CAN do it. I am looking at an RDX because I want a fast-ish SUV that has more space than my TL and that my wife could drive too when needed. My neighbor has an electric Mustang SUV (looks like a wagon to me but I believe it is categorized as an SUV) and it would smoke any car that Acura has 0-60 (minus the NSX) and be dead silent while doing it. 3.2 seconds I believe to 60. Is it needed ? Not really. It is thrilling the first time I drove with him (knocked my sun glasses off the top of my head...lol) , but other than that, its just not that useful.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Good post. I have a 2012 TL Manual that flies but honestly I don't really push it hard. It's nice to know it CAN do it. I am looking at an RDX because I want a fast-ish SUV that has more space than my TL and that my wife could drive too when needed. My neighbor has an electric Mustang SUV (looks like a wagon to me but I believe it is categorized as an SUV) and it would smoke any car that Acura has 0-60 (minus the NSX) and be dead silent while doing it. 3.2 seconds I believe to 60. Is it needed ? Not really. It is thrilling the first time I drove with him (knocked my sun glasses off the top of my head...lol) , but other than that, it’s just not that useful.
Speed and straight line acceleration are not everything. EV you have to look at changing cost (outside your home), range (climate effects that a lot), charging infrastructure when going on a trip (planning is needed) and now the super depreciation of the once FOMO market is gone. Plus, range is only 80% of the total, as it’s not recommend to charge higher than that - beside right before a long road trip.

Buy what you like - there will always be something better and faster.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Exactly. I just want a car fast enough to pass in traffic and pull out with authority. I think the RDX fits that criteria and has enough creature comforts and looks to keep me happy. My neighbors Mustang is super fast and all, but I don't care for the looks or interior of it. It comes off as cold and futuristic, but not in a good way.
But it IS super duper fast so I guess that matters to someone more than me.