RDX Auto-Stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:04 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX Auto-Stop

I just bought my 19 RDX with 11k miles and am absolutely loving everything outside of the stupid auto start stop. Is there any way out there to get this thing completely disabled?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
There are third-party devices that will turn it off at start-up. There are a couple threads on the forum about them...a search will probably find them. Installation requires dismantling several of the dash & console panels and re-plugging a wiring connector.

Easiest is to get in the habit of pushing the disable button when you start the car. Or just learn to live with it.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
I wasn't a fan originally and to some extent still not. Mainly because there is a delay between red light turning green and my gas pedal working, kind of creating anxiety that the car behind me will honk. The only good part is I know I'm not burning gas when at a stop light.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:31 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Knox
I just bought my 19 RDX with 11k miles and am absolutely loving everything outside of the stupid auto start stop. Is there any way out there to get this thing completely disabled?
There are a few threads about this same thing. Quick answer is "yes" you can disable it, but at the cost of pulling out your console.

It is now a habit of mine to simply reach down and press the disable button every time I get in the car. Now that it's second nature to me, it's no big deal...but early on yes, it was a PITA.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

Thank you all so much for replies. I will just get into the habit of hitting the button as I start the car. While annoying, definitely not worth the effort to disable it from the sound of it.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:37 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
By the way, congrats on your purchase! Enjoy your RDX!
Old 06-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
There are third-party devices that will turn it off at start-up. There are a couple threads on the forum about them...a search will probably find them. Installation requires dismantling several of the dash & console panels and re-plugging a wiring connector.

Easiest is to get in the habit of pushing the disable button when you start the car. Or just learn to live with it.
Another option I use is just switch to Sport+ mode. sportier handling and Auto S/S is disabled. So you get a 2fer.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:53 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Vince D
By the way, congrats on your purchase! Enjoy your RDX!
Thank you! Cross shopped way too many vehicles but the RDX was definitely the best all around package for an suv that handles well and will not completely die when the warranty runs out.
The following users liked this post:
Vince D (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
I, too, am a new RDX Aspec owner. I love the vehicle too!

Regarding the auto start/stop - how hard is this on your starter? Although, I have been turning mine off most of the time.

Enjoy the new ride - what color did you get?
Old 06-01-2021, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by swttsx007
I, too, am a new RDX Aspec owner. I love the vehicle too!

Regarding the auto start/stop - how hard is this on your starter? Although, I have been turning mine off most of the time.

Enjoy the new ride - what color did you get?

I can’t fathom that it’s good for the starter to have repeated starting and stopping.

I got a base in white with the beige interior. The previous owner added running birds, upgraded 20” Acura wheels, and a really nice tint to the entire car.

I wish I could have found an A-Spec close to my price range but this deal was way too good to pass up with the extra certified warranty and an extra life-time power train warranty from the dealership.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
It annoys me more when I am in the middle of the road about to turn and it just shuts off before I actually make it. Could be a hazard
Old 06-01-2021, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Note "The engine is started with the hood open" this has worked for me for days. Try it and report back here.

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• The transmission is in a position other than (D.
• The engine is started with the hood open. u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F (−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• Front windshield defog is ON (indicator on).
• The dynamic mode is changed to Snow or Sport+ mode.
NBPDC505 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Everyone I know who has an "Auto Engine off" vehicle hates it. This is done on many vehicles from many manufacturers, not just Acura. I have gotten into the habit of hitting the "kill" switch for this "feature" whenever I start the car. Its a LOT of work to pull the car apart and disable this, but it can be done I hear.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
While I too hated the feature at first, I’ve grown to like it. It’s good for the environment, albeit in a tiny way. The slight delay when a light turns green can be helpful when that bozo in the cross traffic decides to go for it as his light turns red.

That said, my “muscle memory” hits the lane-keeping and brake hold buttons and plugs in my phone whenever I get in the driver’s seat. Adding one more button to that list wouldn’t be all that arduous.
Showkey (06-03-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I have grown used to it, and have just incorporated its annoyances into my driving. If I am making a left turn into traffic, or creeping along in stop and go, I just hit the button. I also sometimes let up a bit on the brake while still stopped to get the engine started.

Most times I just let it do its thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
JB in AZ (06-02-2021), Showkey (06-03-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
install and forget

https://www.idlestopper.com/
Old 06-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I was going to purchase the Idle Stopper, but the light still comes up on the gauge cluster, so I just deal with turning it off manually every time I get in. It's not too bad seeing as the button is near enough to the ignition button.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
there are other threads on this site that discuss this. Take a look at hem. I made my own idlestopper.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Idle stop........it’s one of those topics.

I have gotten use to it........my other cars does not have........now it wonder why its still running.🤔🤔

The real benefit is in busy city commuting.........some vehicles might idle at lights for 30-60 minutes per day. ( Not my situation)
The other buzz word in emissions is CO2 not running means zero CO2 for that idle period. The test sequence has a fair amount of stopped idle.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Obolonsky
The really funning part is .............*for off-road use only”..............

They actually think that’s going to hold up if the EPA or CARB decides to care.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I don't particularly LIKE it, but I deal with it. ONLY time I (rarely) turn it off is if we really need more A/C while at a stop here in the desert. It will likely be part of all future ICE vehicles, and I suspect it will not be defeatable much longer. I could just as easily push the button as part of my start up routine if it bothered me that much..
Madd Dog (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Frankly, I'd like to have the button work the opposite way. For the driver to activate the idle stop when the driver wants it. Often in this case, "the vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h) after the engine starts." I am at a long traffic light waiting for minutes but the auto stop is disabled because I moved a little. Turning off the engine I lose heating/cooling so that is not an option. Also, there are specific times merging into traffic that it activates which can be dangerous.

I'd argue that it is not a 'green' device. In perfect conditions used over many cycles it could reduce emissions. However, the environmental cost of the deep cell battery, beefed up starter, heavier cabling, cooling/aging of the catalytic converter, weight of all these devices it may not save anything in the end.

I have read that it can save 2% of emissions. This is minor for one car but for a fleet of cars it adds up.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
I'd also rather it be an 'opt-in' feature. I also really wonder if the overall cost is justified. I mean, the starter has only a finite number of times it'll work before dying, along with the other things Gate17 mentioned. OTOH when you multiply a tiny savings by millions it might add up (that goes for small costs too, tho) but still....

I usually disable it but often forget until the first stop. In reality I usually don't find it all that intrusive but it's the principle of the thing.

The dumbest time is when I pull into the garage with it enabled...it kills the engine when I stop but then when I put it in Park it has to start the engine first. Then I turn it off a second later. I guess it can't tell a garage stop from a street stop but with all the GPS stuff maybe it should know when you're in your garage. Oh well...first world problems...
Gate 17 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
I'd also rather it be an 'opt-in' feature. I also really wonder if the overall cost is justified. I mean, the starter has only a finite number of times it'll work before dying, along with the other things Gate17 mentioned. OTOH when you multiply a tiny savings by millions it might add up (that goes for small costs too, tho) but still....

I usually disable it but often forget until the first stop. In reality I usually don't find it all that intrusive but it's the principle of the thing.

The dumbest time is when I pull into the garage with it enabled...it kills the engine when I stop but then when I put it in Park it has to start the engine first. Then I turn it off a second later. I guess it can't tell a garage stop from a street stop but with all the GPS stuff maybe it should know when you're in your garage. Oh well...first world problems...
Just push the Start/Stop button! The car will automatically engage Park, without starting the engine, turns off the car, and engages the parking brake! So easy
Old 06-04-2021, 10:06 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Just push the Start/Stop button! The car will automatically engage Park, without starting the engine, turns off the car, and engages the parking brake! So easy
I have learned to do this. Its just so easy. I guess I was too much in the habit of shifting into park on other cars and then turning them off. On the RDX you just hit the "Stop" button and it does the "P" shift and then kills the engine. Nice.
Also, I too hated it when I would stop, the engine turns its self off, they you shift to "Park" and the engine restarted itself, then you turned off the engine. Needless wear and tear on parts! While these "auto stops" might give a car maker some advantage on the EPA test drive cycle I don't think they help much in the real world. As for having them default to "off" rather than "on", again I think the EPA rules might govern that also. I don't know, car makers are vague about some of this stuff.
The short of it: I don't care for it and have made the habit of turning it off on each start up. I dislike that but after looking over the work to install a defeat switch I will stick with getting in the habit of hitting that button as soon as I start the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
JB in AZ (06-05-2021), markAZ (06-05-2021)