Questions about OEM Black Chrome Badges

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts
Questions about OEM Black Chrome Badges

https://www.acura.com/accessories/mo...s-black-chrome

I'm interested in getting these badges, but have a couple questions:

1. What are the "A-badges?" Are those the front/back Acura emblem? If so, can anyone confirm that the front is included?

2. Has anyone had the dealer install these as part of their purchase? Do they do a careful job or do they scratch the hell out of your car? I've done it myself on other cars.

3. Anyone have pics on a white RDX? (Just curious)

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr

1. What are the "A-badges?" Are those the front/back Acura emblem? If so, can anyone confirm that the front is included?

2. Has anyone had the dealer install these as part of their purchase? Do they do a careful job or do they scratch the hell out of your car? I've done it myself on other cars.

Thanks!
The A-badge is the one on the back. They don’t have anything fo the front grill A.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
They have specific guidelines to follow, so if you bring it to the dealer they will do a good job. Also worth it because you get the warranty of I believe 1 year (or you get full 4 year warranty if you buy at time of purchase). So if they fall off or something your safe. But they know what they are doing. Keep in mind those prices are for parts only, you'll need to pay for install. If your worried about them scratching it when you go to pick your car up do a detailed look at the job to make sure there are no scratches, and if there are, point them out to service advisor and they will have to fix.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks!
I bought these and am having the dealership install them on Tuesday. They quoted me 2 hours labor. As mentioned, the A badge is just the rear. They do not make a front replacement. The post about the warranty is correct as well. They're supposed to be careful and not scratch the car, but also if they do, then they have to repair any damages.

If you decide to get them, purchase them online from Curry Acura. They're much cheaper.

https://www.curryacuraparts.com/oem-...k-08f20tjb200a

https://www.curryacuraparts.com/oem-...c-08f20tz5200b (This price is for all 3 A-Spec emblems. Rear, and 2 front fenders)

https://www.curryacuraparts.com/oem-...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D

https://www.curryacuraparts.com/oem-...9tYXRpYw%3D%3D
Old 09-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Racer

Thanks!! Guess I’ll trust them to do the job. I plan to ask for price-matching with Currys and discounted labor on a few add-on like that.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Welcome! Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Vince D (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:51 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks!
Hey jmhumr-

I had my black chrome badges install at the stealership the same day I purchased my RDX. I enjoy the details and I really like the look. To me it's more of a "dark bronze" look as opposed to black, but maybe it's because it's up against black paint. Total charge for emblems and install (and they did a great job - no marks whatsoever) was $167.31.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vince D
Hey jmhumr-

I had my black chrome badges install at the stealership the same day I purchased my RDX. I enjoy the details and I really like the look. To me it's more of a "dark bronze" look as opposed to black, but maybe it's because it's up against black paint. Total charge for emblems and install (and they did a great job - no marks whatsoever) was $167.31.

Seeing this kind of gives me second thoughts. Any pics from further back to see the entire rear with emblems to scale?
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by D-RDX
Seeing this kind of gives me second thoughts. Any pics from further back to see the entire rear with emblems to scale?
D-RDX: Here's a "normal" view from further back. It does have a darker black hue from further away...or perhaps also it's due to the air quality currently around here up in the Pac N-West: I'm right up against the Strait of Juan de Fuca (yes - I can see Canada from my house) and with the air quality at 330 (hazardous) we've got a smoky Bladerunner feel.

Ludepower (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Those would look perfect on my white A-spec. I'm gonna definitely look into this. What you gonna do about the 3 a-spec badges?
Old 09-15-2020, 06:23 PM
Advanced

D-RDX: Here's a "normal" view from further back. It does have a darker black hue from further away...or perhaps also it's due to the air quality currently around here up in the Pac N-West: I'm right up against the Strait of Juan de Fuca (yes - I can see Canada from my house) and with the air quality at 330 (hazardous) we've got a smoky Bladerunner feel.

Thanks Vince! I'm still really on the fence with these. I actually dropped my car off at the dealership today to have them installed. When they took the original ones off, the clear coat came off with it. The service advisor told me they do these emblems all the time (and I believe that they do since its a common and easy mod) and this is the first he's seen of it. Supposedly an Acura rep is coming down tomorrow to look at it but they already brought it to the bodyshop for me to have it fixed. I've also personally debadged many cars over the years and never encountered this.
Vince D (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ludepower
Those would look perfect on my white A-spec. I'm gonna definitely look into this. What you gonna do about the 3 a-spec badges?
Who is the question about the a-spec badges directed towards?
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM
RDX ILX TSX

When they took the original ones off, the clear coat came off with it...
OK - just reading this sentence gave me shivers...

Good luck D-RDX and let's see some pics when it's all good. Good luck with the clear coat patch up...
Old 09-15-2020, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Good luck D-RDX and let's see some pics when it's all good. Good luck with the clear coat patch up...
Thanks! The car had some bird crap and various other marks etched into the clear from day 1. I had an appointment next week for the dealer to check it out. Now, it'll all get taken care of at once. For whatever reason, Acura dropped the ball with the paint job on my specific car.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:19 PM
Racer

Who is the question about the a-spec badges directed towards?
Vince. I notice the a-spec badges got taken off.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Vince. I notice the a-spec badges got taken off.
Ludepower: I have Advance, but not an A-Spec model. I wanted an A-Spec, but wifey wanted Espresso interior; in other words, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Meanwhile I'm online researching my bucket list M3...
Old 09-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Car is all fixed. I just picked it up today. I have to say, these black chrome emblems look AMAZING on the car in person. The pictures definitely do not do them justice. I opted to leave the "RDX" and "sh-awd" emblems off, only replacing the rear "A" and all 3 "A-Spec" emblems.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Racer

Would love to see what the black out Aspec emblems look like.

I would of thought the PMC would black out all the emblems but the they left it chrome.

Last edited by Ludepower; 09-24-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Waiting for more pics of the PMC RDX. I wanna black out all the badges and emblems.
I posted this in the PMC thread as well, but they dropped the ball big time on that car. Based off of the video and images, they included black chrome exhaust tips but kept the emblems chrome. I hope that changes by the time dealerships start seeing them.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I'll try and get some pictures of mine tomorrow for you.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Advanced

@Ludepower here are the black chrome emblems on my a-spec. I opted to leave the “RDX” and “sh-awd” emblems off. I like it much better.

The following 3 users liked this post by D-RDX:
amcobra (09-26-2020), Ludepower (09-27-2020), Vince D (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 03:32 PM
RDX ILX TSX

I opted to leave the “RDX” and “sh-awd” emblems off. I like it much better.
Agreed! Nice and clean. Congrats D-RDX...

Old 09-26-2020, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Agreed! Nice and clean. Congrats D-RDX...
Thank you! I was on the fence from the pictures, but seeing them in person they really look amazing, as you know.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Racer

TY D-RDX you just convinced me to make this pricey subtle upgrade.

Last edited by Ludepower; 09-27-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Advanced

TY D-RDX you just convinced me to make this pricey subtle upgrade.
Welcome. Check out post #4 in this thread. I posted the links for the emblems. Also side note, tell whoever does the work to be very careful with the rear emblems. The body shop told me that the rear hatch was made of plastic and the paint can peel if the emblems are heated too much for removal.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I agree, and I am considering this for my white Advance. But, the hiccup the D-RDX experienced has me stepping back just a bit.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Here’s how they look on white. Just put these on the other day in my driveway. Super easy with some Goo Gone, fishing line, a heat gun, alcohol pads and good wax.

It’s subtle, but definitely looks better in my opinion. No sense in blacking out all the reg chrome trim on the ASpecs but then leaving the badges chrome..
The following 2 users liked this post by TimmyB83:
Ludepower (10-03-2020), OtownPSU (10-01-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TimmyB83
Here’s how they look on white. Just put these on the other day in my driveway. Super easy with some Goo Gone, fishing line, a heat gun, alcohol pads and good wax.

It’s subtle, but definitely looks better in my opinion. No sense in blacking out all the reg chrome trim on the ASpecs but then leaving the badges chrome..
Looks great! I absolutely love the look on a white car. Also happy to hear that you didn't have any paint issues when you removed the emblems.

Edit: Also, I agree. No idea why Acura thought it would be a good idea to include blackout trim on the a-spec but give us chrome badges.

Last edited by D-RDX; 09-30-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks great! I absolutely love the look on a white car. Also happy to hear that you didn't have any paint issues when you removed the emblems.

Edit: Also, I agree. No idea why Acura thought it would be a good idea to include blackout trim on the a-spec but give us chrome badges.
the badges come with some fancy templates too, so you take the foam surround off the new badge, put it over the factory badge, tape around it, put the foam back around the new ones and it ensures you get the new ones in the perfect spot. Super easy install! I ordered all mine off Curry Acura’s eBay store. Got all 3 ASpecs, RDX, “A” and SHAWD in one order. Came in 7-10 days.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 PM
Advanced

the badges come with some fancy templates too, so you take the foam surround off the new badge, put it over the factory badge, tape around it, put the foam back around the new ones and it ensures you get the new ones in the perfect spot. Super easy install! I ordered all mine off Curry Acura’s eBay store. Got all 3 ASpecs, RDX, “A” and SHAWD in one order. Came in 7-10 days.
For anyone who may come across the post, it should be noted that only the "RDX" and "sh-awd" emblems come with the template. The "A" is self explanatory as it also has a notch in the back where it lines up, and the A-Spec emblems just need to be taped off before hand. I got mine from Curry as well, but I'm local so I was able to buy in person (at a slightly better price) since they were in stock.

Install instructions:

A-Spec Emblem
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14291-36.PDF

RDX Emblem
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14291-03.PDF

Rear A Emblem
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14291-35.PDF

Rear SH-AWD Emblem
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII14291-04.PDF
Old 09-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Racer

Thanks for posting these! I love how they're actually dark chrome and not gloss black. Kinda wish Acura had used dark chrome on some of the other A-Spec details (grille trim and lower door trim).
Old 10-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Racer

If my math is correct. The entire dark chrome emblem set cost $270 usd --> $360 cdn.

That's a tough pill to swallow. Im gonna hold off on it for now. Maybe I can hint my wife to buy me this for Christmas.

I wonder why acura offers these OEM emblems but don't put them on the A-spec or PMC. Do any other acuras come stock with dark emblems?
Old 10-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Advanced

If my math is correct. The entire dark chrome emblem set cost $270 usd --> $360 cdn.

That's a tough pill to swallow. Im gonna hold off on it for now. Maybe I can hint my wife to buy me this for Christmas.

I wonder why acura offers these OEM emblems but don't put them on the A-spec or PMC. Do any other acuras come stock with dark emblems?
Yep the math is correct. Major fail from Acura not including these.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Racer

They are probably priced to be a handy dealer throw-in to incentivize sales. "We can't budge on price, but we can throw in dark badges worth $400 installed. We're offering a steal here!" Not quite as compelling if they priced the badge kit at, say, $75.

Also, don't forget that dark badges are not the preference of an overwhelming majority of buyers. Among A-Spec buyers I'm sure dark badges get far more love, but it's still probably a minority view.

So much of this stuff is driven by survey and focus group data.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Advanced

They are probably priced to be a handy dealer throw-in to incentivize sales. "We can't budge on price, but we can throw in dark badges worth $400 installed. We're offering a steal here!" Not quite as compelling if they priced the badge kit at, say, $75.

Also, don't forget that dark badges are not the preference of an overwhelming majority of buyers. Among A-Spec buyers I'm sure dark badges get far more love, but it's still probably a minority view.

So much of this stuff is driven by survey and focus group data.
I agree on the reason for not including on regular trim. I’ve actually heard that before about accessories. Also maybe it’s not everyone’s cup of tea for advance and tech buyers since the car is already riddled with horrible chrome trim. But they 100% should have come on the A-Spec. Why do they think we’re buying that package? It’s mainly for the blackout appearance. Trim, wheels, headlights, taillights all get the treatment. And then chrome emblems?? The PMC is even more of a smack in the face since they took it a step further and added a black chrome tipped exhaust.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:27 PM
Racer

By accident came across this thread with good pics of the black chrome on a modern steel TLX:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tlx-.../#post16264478
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to put them on my White Advance, but to me, it's not worth the cost. Maybe if they were 25-50% less I would.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my A-spec in white, non-awd because its Florida. Can I just paint or use plastic dip on the emblems?
Old 11-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlogic56
I just got my A-spec in white, non-awd because its Florida. Can I just paint or use plastic dip on the emblems?
A guy on reddit a few days ago Plastidipped his emblems, here is the link to the thread -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Acura/comme...they_came_out/

If you want real gloss black badges, Acura is selling them as an accessory now but you will need for fork up cash for them as they are not cheap.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
what is the difference between the left side and right side A-Spec emblem? (besides part number...) strange!! haha
Old 06-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
what is the difference between the left side and right side A-Spec emblem? (besides part number...) strange!! haha
Nothing, you buy 3 as a set for the sides and rear.