AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Pro clip pics in use (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/pro-clip-pics-use-976900/)

salty 02-02-2019 02:54 PM

Pro clip pics in use

salty 02-02-2019 02:55 PM

The phone is an iPhone X

spinedoc777 02-04-2019 03:25 PM

Yep I got one of those for my Xs Max, it's a great setup but with a couple of caveats. Your phone will cover up your heated lights button, the auto start button and part of the climate control buttons. It's a pain for me as I use the heated seats and auto start buttons a lot so find myself leaning forward to see behind my phone, especially because the heated seats stupidly changes heat instead of staying at the level I set it at. The clip itself is a bit loose because Acura's trim isn't really tight, so YMMV depending on the quality of your particular vehicle, but mine is fairly loose. Been meaning to put a small piece of 2 sided tape in there and see if it holds it a bit better.

But overall I don't think there is a better place to mount the phone due to the monstrosity that is the center console and the placement of the screen.

thoiboi 02-04-2019 03:38 PM

Proclip make some awesome stuff! I personally just use the clip portion to create a new flat surface where I then added a Scosche MagicMount Pro

salty 02-04-2019 04:52 PM

Blocking seat heater

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16377075)
Yep I got one of those for my Xs Max, it's a great setup but with a couple of caveats. Your phone will cover up your heated lights button, the auto start button and part of the climate control buttons. It's a pain for me as I use the heated seats and auto start buttons a lot so find myself leaning forward to see behind my phone, especially because the heated seats stupidly changes heat instead of staying at the level I set it at. The clip itself is a bit loose because Acura's trim isn't really tight, so YMMV depending on the quality of your particular vehicle, but mine is fairly loose. Been meaning to put a small piece of 2 sided tape in there and see if it holds it a bit better.

But overall I don't think there is a better place to mount the phone due to the monstrosity that is the center console and the placement of the screen.

i agree with everything you wrote here, and I found a way around the seat heat button issue... in one of the pics above you’ll see that I’ve placed the proclip upside down, then shove the top part of my phone in it. This makes it a little bit lower, just enough so that my seat heater button is visible. I can still access all the buttons through the side cutouts on the holder.

kboo74656 02-04-2019 06:27 PM

I just bought a 6 inch lightning cable and put my iPhone Xs Max in the center console beside the cup holder. Phone is out of sight and I have no need to touch the phone while driving. If I need to interact with my phone I just use Siri. When I leave the car and want to leave the phone there I just close the cover. Keeps the interior look clean and neat without having a phone mount blocking buttons or taking up real estate and no excess cable to worry about.

knakane 02-04-2019 06:57 PM

I've been looking at that, but like @spinedoc777 mentioned, i worry it covers up some of the buttons i use most... But beyond that, do you guys foresee this mount causing a permanent indentation in the trim/leather/soft stuff?

Wander 02-04-2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by knakane (Post 16377204)
do you guys foresee this mount causing a permanent indentation in the trim/leather/soft stuff?

Possible, but like everything else in the car, that part is replaceable. I can't find a diagram, but my best guess is that the part in question is 83420-TJB-A01ZB ( B for Brown; other colors different ). It's listed at about $93 on the usual discount sites.

But that "soft stuff" is vinyl, not leather, and I kinda doubt any indentation would be permanent and/or so unsightly as to require replacement of the trim piece.

Wander 02-04-2019 11:19 PM

It's a pain for me as I use the heated seats and auto start buttons a lot so find myself leaning forward to see behind my phone, especially because the heated seats stupidly changes heat instead of staying at the level I set it at.

Do you have the "auto" button active for the seat heater? Otherwise, I don't think it should do that.

OTOH my idle-stop stopped working months ago, and I'm in absolutely no hurry to get it fixed. :D

rfbarry19 02-05-2019 09:26 AM

Here's a nice option. As I mention in the attached thread, I wasn't a fan of vent mounts but this one works really nicely. It doesn't block any console buttons and it holds the phone without annoying vibrations. In addition, the mount was $20 on Amazon versus approx $70 for a Proclip combo.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post16374782

Photos are included in the thread.

Sounds 02-05-2019 10:45 AM

I've been using this magnet air vent mount for years. Works great. Cheap, too. Makes it super easy to attach the phone and remove the phone. Just stick it on, then pull it off.

spinedoc777 02-05-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16377335)
Do you have the "auto" button active for the seat heater? Otherwise, I don't think it should do that.

OTOH my idle-stop stopped working months ago, and I'm in absolutely no hurry to get it fixed. :D

No, even if you don't have auto on it will still turn the heat down so you don't get burned I suppose. I like riding around with it on 3, feels good on the back and hamstrings.

spinedoc777 02-05-2019 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by salty (Post 16377116)

i agree with everything you wrote here, and I found a way around the seat heat button issue... in one of the pics above you’ll see that I’ve placed the proclip upside down, then shove the top part of my phone in it. This makes it a little bit lower, just enough so that my seat heater button is visible. I can still access all the buttons through the side cutouts on the holder.

I'd be afraid my phone would fall out. Looks like you can get a bit of friction in there since you are using a case, but I'm using a naked phone in my proclip. I do like the phone up high though.

ryanasimov 02-05-2019 03:12 PM

I guess I'm missing something, but isn't CarPlay standard? I know it's a bit buggy in my RDX, but I certainly like the bigger, higher screen enough to put up with it.

spinedoc777 02-05-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ryanasimov (Post 16377767)
I guess I'm missing something, but isn't CarPlay standard? I know it's a bit buggy in my RDX, but I certainly like the bigger, higher screen enough to put up with it.

Carplay still has many aspects which still benefit from having the phone open. For example, using Waze for navigation on Carplay you lose the route list, events list and an easy ability to access much of the functionality partly because of the Carplay UI and partly because of the non touchscreen on the RDX. With your phone open you can view the route list, event list and access many functions such as rerouting and Waze settings.

mode360 02-06-2019 05:43 AM

I have a set of magnetic vent clips that blends in well with the center console (I have OCD so I wanted both sides to be balanced and also so my passenger could mount their phone as well).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...26c792a9f.jpeg

skarface 02-06-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16377941)
Carplay still has many aspects which still benefit from having the phone open. For example, using Waze for navigation on Carplay you lose the route list, events list and an easy ability to access much of the functionality partly because of the Carplay UI and partly because of the non touchscreen on the RDX. With your phone open you can view the route list, event list and access many functions such as rerouting and Waze settings.

It's almost like they should just let us mirror our phones to the screen lol

spinedoc777 02-06-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by vvlien (Post 16378053)
I have a set of magnetic vent clips that blends in well with the center console (I have OCD so I wanted both sides to be balanced and also so my passenger could mount their phone as well).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...26c792a9f.jpeg

Those are actually really nice, do you have a link?

spinedoc777 02-06-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by skarface (Post 16378288)
It's almost like they should just let us mirror our phones to the screen lol

Yep, exactly. Although I don't think that would work so well with the non touchscreens on our RDX's. I would be happy if Apple simply let us have one app on carplay and another app on the phone.

mode360 02-07-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16378335)
Those are actually really nice, do you have a link?

I actually got them off eBay. Amazon has similar vent clips but I wanted a black finish and I was already familiar with this brand so I got them off eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Baseus-Universal-360-Magnetic-Phone-Holder-Air-Vent-Mount-Car-Bracket-Stand/132257160545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=431 587916184&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Each auction is for one clip...I purchased two.

skarface 02-07-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by spinedoc777 (Post 16378340)
Yep, exactly. Although I don't think that would work so well with the non touchscreens on our RDX's. I would be happy if Apple simply let us have one app on carplay and another app on the phone.

I think if you jailbreak you iphone you can do that. Just odd that they cripple the technology to the point that its more distracting trying to get the functionality out of the technology you want.

achong507 03-15-2019 11:47 AM

Hello vvlien - are you still happy with the vent mount? I am thinking of purchasing these. Thanks.

wargor 03-15-2019 03:22 PM

Just curious as to why you would want the mount. You have Carplay that does most of what you need while driving. Not trying to start anything just getting an understanding.

achong507 03-15-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wargor (Post 16398793)
Just curious as to why you would want the mount. You have Carplay that does most of what you need while driving. Not trying to start anything just getting an understanding.

I use Android phones and the AA is not out yet, with no date set yet. I prefer to buy the mount and wait for AA than buying a cheap used iphone that I will never use after AA comes out (hopefully).
Plus I use Waze for naviagation.

ULEWZ 06-21-2019 10:23 AM

For those that purchased a ProClip, does your phone point towards the passenger when installed? I would think it should point the phone, even slightly, towards the driver. Mine doesn't, is it a manufacturing problem?