Potentially a new RDX owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021 | 08:51 AM
Pro

Potentially a new RDX owner

Hi all,

I am a former 2007 TSX owner. I loved that car, but ended up switching to Mazda back in 2013. Anyway, I currently have a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with 37k miles. I really like the car, but I'm eyeing up the Acura RDX - especially the ASPEC version. I guess my question is, has anyone switched from a Mazda to an Acura? I know that the Acura is in a class above, but the Mazda is pretty nice and well equipped for cheaper than an RDX. I am really torn on whether or not I should upgrade.

I'd really love some feedback on the Mazda vs. RDX. I am going to be test driving an RDX this weekend (first test drive of an RDX), so I will post my thoughts afterwards.

Thanks all!
Old 04-23-2021 | 11:06 AM
5th Gear

I did exactly what you did! I went from a 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT non-Turbo in soul red crystal to a 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec. I loved that car and I would've liked to keep it for a while longer because it's a well-equipped car. The only reason I switched to Acura was because my Mazda was relieved of my ownership by some lady that thought red lights were optional. I would've bought the same car again (the turbo version was at the top of my list this time) but I had just gotten a promotion at work and had a bit more disposable income, just paid off my student loan, and wanted to try something different.

Let me know if there's something in particular you were wondering and I'll try my best to answer.
Honestly, I'd stick with the Mazda if I had a choice. I was forced back into the market so used it as an opportunity to try something new.
Old 04-23-2021 | 11:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by midnight_physicist
I did exactly what you did! I went from a 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT non-Turbo in soul red crystal to a 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec. I loved that car and I would've liked to keep it for a while longer because it's a well-equipped car. The only reason I switched to Acura was because my Mazda was relieved of my ownership by some lady that thought red lights were optional. I would've bought the same car again (the turbo version was at the top of my list this time) but I had just gotten a promotion at work and had a bit more disposable income, just paid off my student loan, and wanted to try something different.

Let me know if there's something in particular you were wondering and I'll try my best to answer.
Honestly, I'd stick with the Mazda if I had a choice. I was forced back into the market so used it as an opportunity to try something new.

Wow, that's crazy! I have the same vehicle, but in white. Anyway, how would compare the ride between the two, and why would you stick with the Mazda? I wouldn't mind staying with Mazda, but I'm kind of bored with this body style. Perhaps a 2021 Turbo model would change that though. I do plan on driving the 2021 CX-5 Signature as well.

I have yet to drive an RDX, so my perspective might change drastically on it afterwards.

Lastly, does the RDX feel a lot more upscale than your Mazda did?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2021 | 02:52 PM
5th Gear

The day-to-day ride comfort is pretty indistinguishable, both I felt have a bias towards sportiness. I considered sticking with Mazda because of the value. It looked and felt like a premium car. If I did stick with Mazda, though, I would've gotten the turbo version which wasn't offered when I initially bought it. The RDX and CX-5 to me felt equally upscale, which is expected for the of the RDX, but is really a testament to how well made current-gen Mazdas are.

I gotta warn you though, if you're not too concerned about price and are pretty set on getting the RDX - you're going to fall in love with the RDX as soon as you drive it. I had planned to test drive the RDX and then head down the street to test drive the Mercedes GLC as well. I didn't make it to the Mercedes dealership lol
The following 2 users liked this post by midnight_physicist:
JB in AZ (04-23-2021), wuffy (04-23-2021)
Old 04-24-2021 | 08:44 AM
Drifting

You also have to really like the infotainment system in the current generation RDX. This is a deal breaker for many.
Old 04-24-2021 | 08:48 PM
Pro

I drove the RDX and really like it. I am debating between the A-Spec or Advance trim. I like the sportiness of the A-Spec, but I really am digging the HUD on the Advance. Which model did you all go with?
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021 | 09:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by swttsx007
I drove the RDX and really like it. I am debating between the A-Spec or Advance trim. I like the sportiness of the A-Spec, but I really am digging the HUD on the Advance. Which model did you all go with?
Apex Blue Aspec for me.
Old 04-25-2021 | 03:31 AM
5th Gear

I personally don't understand the hate that the infotainment system gets. I found it intuitive to use from the moment I got in for the test drive and I like the general aesthetic of it. My only complaint is the way you have to navigate through Apple Carplay.
The following users liked this post:
Vince D (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021 | 06:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by midnight_physicist
I personally don't understand the hate that the infotainment system gets. I found it intuitive to use from the moment I got in for the test drive and I like the general aesthetic of it. My only complaint is the way you have to navigate through Apple Carplay.
There were a lot of problems with it early on, from freezing up and not responding.

Too, there are things it should do but does not. As a nav program in the 2020s, it thoroughly sucks. It is no better than a moving map, and if you want to actually navigate someplace, you need Google, Waze, or Apple maps. With Carplays early problems, you might have found yourself needing to put your phone up there on a holder when Carplay crapped out, which it often did.. The traffic information is useless. The general usability of the system is sub par and not as good as the built in nav of a car I boughtt in 2007.

Carplay issues, for me, have been resolved. But the infotainment system still does not retain my preferred settings, which are there at shut down. Each time I go in I must adjust the scale of the rolling map, and put the clock on the right side. If I don’t, the right side of the screen informs me that no music is playing.

I am technologically proficient, so the absolute position of the native interface does not bother me. But on the native interface,mit is absolute positioning, but on carplay, it is not, and acts like a mousepad.

It is so cumbersome that my wife won’t deal with any of it, and leaves the whole thing alone when she drives.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 04-25-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2021 | 08:31 AM
Racer

I crossed shopped a CX-5 before buying my RDX. I thought the CX-5 was very disappointing. It in no way lived up to the advertising hype. The seats were poorly shaped and padded. They actually felt cheap to me. And while the CX-5’s suspension was sporty, it was very unrefined compared to the RDX. Impact harshness was very high. As a side note, I also drove the CX-3. To me, the CX-3 felt much more upscale than the CX-5. Better seats, better handling, better ride. It was just too small. It shows Mazda can make a great car, it’s just a shame they didn’t do it as much with the CX-5. For the extra $5,000- $6,000, I thought the RDX was a far better value. Absolutely worth the upgrade. I preferred the RDX over the X3.
Old 04-25-2021 | 10:29 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by swttsx007
I thought about the A-Spec initially, but after seeing the Advance and actually experiencing the 16-speaker ELS system along with the HUD, the interior color of Espresso and the extremely comfortable seats it was the Advance that won me (and my wife) over. In addition, I enjoy watching the SH-AWD blue chevron display show on the MID. I'm not bothered by the infotainment system; it can be improved.

There's been a lot of talk about tire and cabin noise with the OEM Conti's. I find it to be true, but by accident and only wanting to buy Winter tires for the snow here in the Pac Northwest, I put on a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires and it completely changed the cabin vibe and the ride. The cabin is quiet and vault-like with a more "floaty" feeling which I enjoy. Now - I just need to find a summer tire with the same characteristics. Bottom line: I can hear the ELS system in all it's glory much better now.

My wish at purchase time was that the Advance came with the same tire size as the A-Spec. I like the look of filling the wheel well a little more on the A-Spec.

Old 04-26-2021 | 07:22 AM
Pro

I am going to Acura tonight after work. I am pretty confident that I will be picking up a Apex Blue RDX. I am still debating on whether I want the red or black interior. I have a few hours to decide

Also, has anyone put a clear bra on their RDX?

Thanks!