Potential first timer here, saying Hi and looking for buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential first timer here, saying Hi and looking for buying advice

Hi all, been shopping everything in the category and it's come down to the Lexus RX and the RDX. It looks like we'll be moving forward with the RDX due to insane shortages on the Lexus side. With that said, I'm well aware that the market is absolutely bonkers right now, but I had a question for those who have purchased recently, or have any experience in sales. Our sales guy said that we can factory order our RDX and to send him a build sheet from the Acura website. He said they only charge MSRP + TTL which is great, so I send a build sheet over and somehow, we're ~$1200 off each other. We go down the list and he said that some of the things we've included require dealer labor for installation, and that the prices on the site aren't the same as the dealer prices. We're looking specifically at heated steering wheel and the remote starter. I'm confused because if it's a factory order I'm assuming it should show up already built to our specs? When I price it out on the website, the MSRP includes the options I selected, but the sales guy said no, those parts come from the dealer.

If that's not the case, what are the odds of actually getting it at the price that is stated on the website? I'm willing to pay MSRP but I'm not going above that. I don't NEED a car right now, just trying to replace an aging one so I can wait a bit longer if I have to, but I'm just getting tired of shopping and thinking we have a winner, and then there's another catch (I've had a handful of "We only charge MSRP" sales people at various dealers and then suddenly when it comes price time, there's a markup like mandatory vin etching, ceramic coating etc).
Old 04-21-2022, 08:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Find another dealer, they are definitely trying to make some money by overcharging on accessories. I'm from Canada and I got cheaper prices on adding a trailer hitch than advertised on the website.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mud4x4
Hi all, been shopping everything in the category and it's come down to the Lexus RX and the RDX. It looks like we'll be moving forward with the RDX due to insane shortages on the Lexus side. With that said, I'm well aware that the market is absolutely bonkers right now, but I had a question for those who have purchased recently, or have any experience in sales. Our sales guy said that we can factory order our RDX and to send him a build sheet from the Acura website. He said they only charge MSRP + TTL which is great, so I send a build sheet over and somehow, we're ~$1200 off each other. We go down the list and he said that some of the things we've included require dealer labor for installation, and that the prices on the site aren't the same as the dealer prices. We're looking specifically at heated steering wheel and the remote starter. I'm confused because if it's a factory order I'm assuming it should show up already built to our specs? When I price it out on the website, the MSRP includes the options I selected, but the sales guy said no, those parts come from the dealer.

If that's not the case, what are the odds of actually getting it at the price that is stated on the website? I'm willing to pay MSRP but I'm not going above that. I don't NEED a car right now, just trying to replace an aging one so I can wait a bit longer if I have to, but I'm just getting tired of shopping and thinking we have a winner, and then there's another catch (I've had a handful of "We only charge MSRP" sales people at various dealers and then suddenly when it comes price time, there's a markup like mandatory vin etching, ceramic coating etc).

MSRP appears to be the "good deal" these days. The dealers who charge markup are just taking advantage of the shortages - as they are trying to squees more profits for less sales.

Depends on the model you purchase. If it is standard equipment - then then is no additional charge. If you "add" part like "heated steering wheel", that is just for the part - as it does not include any installation. All accessories on the ACURA site that you can add to the vehicle are solely for the parts - installation is a dealer extra.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
installation is a dealer extra.
Is that the usual case in the states? This is the first time I hear about that
Old 04-21-2022, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsshelas
Is that the usual case in the states? This is the first time I hear about that
Yes. Just look at the Acura USA site, and go to "accessories". This is on the bottom of most accessories "Prices are Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail and do not include installation. Check with your dealer for final pricing."

Some of the accessories you can buy and put on yourself with a few simple tools. I got the rear cargo cover - super easy after you remove the two rear interior caps to insert the front of the cargo cover (should of came a a std factory accessory). Mud flaps are pretty easy too. Heated steering wheel, that takes more work, wiring and not upsetting the airbag in the current non-heated steering wheel swapping out the wheel.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 04-21-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Yes. Just look at the Acura USA site, and go to "accessories". This is on the bottom of most accessories "Prices are Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail and do not include installation. Check with your dealer for final pricing."
Jesus I completely missed that. Damn, thanks for pointing that out.

In my head I'm thinking, well I'm ordering everything from the factory so wouldn't it make sense that coming off the truck it's the exact vehicle I built? I'm looking at an A-spec and the only thing it's missing that other vehicles have (Lexus and Genesis for example) is the heated wheel, and I like the idea of a remote start for those cold winter mornings.

I've been holding back on buying for about a year now since everything I read says "Just wait for this market to correct" but it seems like there's no end in sight. Frustrating knowing that just a couple years ago I could negotiate the price of accessories into a deal and now it seems like we're all stuck paying whatever they ask. I'm gonna email a few other dealers and see if they can match the website MSRP price...
Old 04-21-2022, 10:35 AM
10th Gear

I decided to check Canada's website and they include the installation price, TIL.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by rsshelas
I decided to check Canada's website and they include the installation price, TIL.

Canadians are more upfront and honest.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (04-21-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your package

In my head I'm thinking, well I'm ordering everything from the factory so wouldn't it make sense that coming off the truck it's the exact vehicle I built? I'm looking at an A-spec and the only thing it's missing that other vehicles have (Lexus and Genesis for example) is the heated wheel, and I like the idea of a remote start for those cold winter mornings.

I've been holding back on buying for about a year now since everything I read says "Just wait for this market to correct" but it seems like there's no end in sight. Frustrating knowing that just a couple years ago I could negotiate the price of accessories into a deal and now it seems like we're all stuck paying whatever they ask. I'm gonna email a few other dealers and see if they can match the website MSRP price...
Check out the package you are picking. I believe auto start is standard. The Advance comes with the heated steaming wheel and most of the other convenience features. (Check the A-Spec Advance) Nothing in a package has an extra charge. I recently purchased, got a price for the car I wanted including my trade-in and the for my add-ons. Told them my bottom line, gave them a take it or leave it keeping the car price, trade in and MSRP for add-ons and reasonable labor in mind. They took it.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Don't have the heated steering wheel and in the winter with -10 degrees F - didn't miss it. Once the seats and car warms up - all is good.

Personally I like most of the RDX - its solid, SHAWD is amazing in snow and engine is peppy.
Downside is a stiff ride, ok quality and I only average 17 mpg in mixed driving - which is terrible in my book with gas in the USA at $4+ a gallon. Wish Acura made the RDX in a Hybrid model - as it surely needs it.

I am personally looking to switch in the near future to a pure EV (ID4 on order and maybe a Model 3) and have. looked at the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid - both great options.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
17mpg? Yikes. Mostly city driving?
Old 04-25-2022, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ross7777
17mpg? Yikes. Mostly city driving?
Yep - 17 MPG. You would think she had 400+hp with that crappy MPG. 60% City / 40% hwy. Those are real world numbers - not the window sticker numbers.

Took a 1,100 trip, best tank was 25.2 MPG (super strong tail wind, 70mph on cruise and in comfort setting). Worst was 22.4mpg (strong head wind, 70 mph on cruise and comfort). Was just me in the vehicle and tire inflation was 36psi. Plus the terrain was rolling - not Florida or Arizona flats. Super disappointing and with a little turbo and 10 speed transmission - should get way better MPG - but it doesn't. Wind really affects the RDX MPG. The SHAWD is always on - so that doesn't help with MPG. Doesn't matter if one uses regular or premium - doesn't affect MPG at all. Might give you more HP, but thats it.

Sure I could slow down the speeds to 60 or 65 mph - but on the typical American freeways - 70 - 75 MPH is standard and would not be real world.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 04-25-2022 at 02:11 PM.